I want to get a PS2 bike game - this or MotoGP?

• Thread starter CyborgGT
  • 14 comments
United States
Colorado
GTP_Cyborg
MotoGP seems to have the better track selection (in terms of which ones are actually used for bike racing; plus driving new tracks is always fun), but I've heard the gameplay sucks. What are the pros and cons of each series, and if MotoGP is recommended, which one is best?

I never played MotoGP, but I do have TT, and TT can be odd sometimes, because its not really "GP racing" more... one v one... and you drive a HUGE SELECTION of bikes, w/ SICK physics, which is fun... I say just buy both, you can find TT for 10$...

If you love the idea of riding street bikes in a videogame, stop reading this and go buy Tourist Trophy now. There's nothing better.

If that aspect is merely a bonus and you're just looking for a bike racing game, it's kind of a toss-up, because neither game is particularly special in terms of realism or detail. Because of TT's limited number of opponents and, as you said, the track selection, MotoGP is better for racing, but Tourist Trophy is better for just riding. I've never really gotten hooked into any MotoGP game, but I played Tourist Trophy to 100% completion more than once and love it for its street bikes and how immersive it feels.

If you want the most realistic motorcycle racing game you can find on the PS2, go get Suzuki TT Superbikes. It's limited in content (only the Isle of Man course and a handful of bikes in each class), but provides the most realistic motorcycle simulation I know of.

I've got both Moto GP3 and Tourist Trophy.
Both are good but... My pick would be Moto GP3 if only one.

TT is great, don't get me wrong, and I would suggest getting it if you really want most of the tracks from GT4 and a few extras. Further, the bike list is great and the racing is relatively good.
However, the racing is limited and once you've become rather good (gold all licenses) the game provides little to no challenge and offers less replay value than Moto GP3... Speaking of Moto GP3.

Moto GP3 is great all around, has everything you'd ask for and many bonus challenges and all of those challenges have rewards. The game is highly enjoyable and as a player of both TT and Moto GP3 I believe the better game to purchase is Moto GP3. 👍

I have Tourist Trophy and MotoGP 4. Critics have said that Tourist Trophy isn't the MotoGP series. There was some negative reviews about racing four motorcycles on a track. Had some people not been so stupid and insensitive about this game, and if people realized that this game runs on the GT4 engine and does pretty good with showcasing the bikes on the track, then this game would be a bit more respected. You know what you're getting with the GT-style of gaming. You get the ability to race motorcycles ranging from scooters to superbikes.

On the other hand, you have Namco's MotoGP series (since Capcom's MotoGP game isn't really up to snuff). You get to race MotoGP motorcycles across a variety of displacement classes and racing on MotoGP tracks. And those bikes are FAST! Prepare to be tested across the variety of tracks on the MotoGP schedule.

MotoGP lets you be able to have arcade-style riding so that you don't really get penalized for riding into the grass or gravel traps. Tourist Trophy is harder to ride, especially if you aren't a very good bike rider. I've learned in Tourist Trophy to give about two or three clicks of the brakes to avoid flying off and getting owned. It really depends on preference. Do you want to race a variety of motorcycles (Tourist Trophy), or do you want to win a World Championship (MotoGP series)? Both are wonderful games no matter what anyone says (especially about Tourist Trophy).

What did you choose in the end? I have tried Tourist Trophy and MotoGP 4, MotoGP on Xbox360 (worst ever) and the brilliant MotoGP 2007 for PS2. In MogoGP 2007 you will be very pissed off at the "punishing difficulty" - as gamespot phrased it - in terms of qualify times required, and the tracks are fairly ugly. Everyting else is GREAT. I love this game, I even put my PS3 aside to play this game. The handling is great, you gotta be careful on throttle when cornering and you can push so hard your bike will shake and slide and do slight wheelies although you try to keep it down. In challenge mode you get fun variety to time trials, quick races and season racing and you will want to clear the challenges to unlock really cool short videos from the 2007 racing season. I highly recommend the MotoGP 2007 (a very overlooked game in my opinion) and am waiting impatiently for the MotoGP 2008 to come out. I pray they will not stuff up the things that are good and improve the things that aren't.

I've tried the original Riding Spirits. It's just a GT3 wannabe (pre-emptive Tourist Trophy wannabe?) budget game that happens to have some neat bikes. The graphics, physics, and sound are awful, and the game is barely playable. Any official review you find ought to say pretty much the same thing.

As such, it's alright for a bargain bin purchase, but I wouldn't invest any significant amount of money in the thing.

And? What do you think about it? Is it worth to buy? I read that there are almost 300 bikes. I don't believe that... :D

Oh my was it terrible. :crazy:300 Bikes? I counted less than 20.

Yeah Tourist Trophy is still king. I finally bought a ps3 but i still play TT.

I'm really hoping that Polyphony Gives us TT2 on PS3.

I have Tourist Trophy and MotoGP 4. Critics have said that Tourist Trophy isn't the MotoGP series. There was some negative reviews about racing four motorcycles on a track. Had some people not been so stupid and insensitive about this game, and if people realized that this game runs on the GT4 engine and does pretty good with showcasing the bikes on the track, then this game would be a bit more respected. You know what you're getting with the GT-style of gaming. You get the ability to race motorcycles ranging from scooters to superbikes.

On the other hand, you have Namco's MotoGP series (since Capcom's MotoGP game isn't really up to snuff). You get to race MotoGP motorcycles across a variety of displacement classes and racing on MotoGP tracks. And those bikes are FAST! Prepare to be tested across the variety of tracks on the MotoGP schedule.

MotoGP lets you be able to have arcade-style riding so that you don't really get penalized for riding into the grass or gravel traps. Tourist Trophy is harder to ride, especially if you aren't a very good bike rider. I've learned in Tourist Trophy to give about two or three clicks of the brakes to avoid flying off and getting owned. It really depends on preference. Do you want to race a variety of motorcycles (Tourist Trophy), or do you want to win a World Championship (MotoGP series)? Both are wonderful games no matter what anyone says (especially about Tourist Trophy).

Hard to ever disagree with you. I played Motogp on XBOX and i wasn't happy with it. It didn't feel real. Now that does not mean TT is 100% correct. I would actually give it a score of 70%. But that is still better than anyone else. You just cant get to the Sim levels when you are running a car based engine. I hope that by the time GT5 comes out, Polyphony will have the funds to make a proper bike sim with it's own engine. Some of the biggest issues i have with TT:

1. The feel of the rear tire is not the way it is on a real bike. Motogp for Xbox, has such a ridiculously arcade feel but at least you can high side with too much throttle. We know what a part drifting plays in GT now and the rear tire is just as intense on a bike.
2. Many important street bikes like the Honda RC30 and Ducati's 916 and important Race bikes like the YZR500 and RVF750 Enduro
3. Pit Stops? What happened to pit stops? Tire swaps? Fuel? All that?
4. Races really need more than 4 riders and what is this nonsense with a rolling start? Every single moto race starts with a standing start or a running Le Mans start.
5. And finally is other elements for riding a motorbike like tire chatter, and if you fall off, don't just make the guy reappear like magic, habe the guy run to the bike and actually pick it up.
But GT1 was along time ago and was not perfect so im hoping TT will improve drastically the way GT did.

Last edited:
I know this thread was posted ages ago...For those of you who own the TT game, can you please explain why my pitcrew is not filling up my fuel tank on the Senior and F1 class races. I pull into pit lane, and it looks like they're dumping fuel in it, but it never works, am i doing something wrong, am i coming into pit lane too fast. Its frustrating because I've finally gotten good at the game (which I'm addicted to now). Please help.

Back