I was about to buy Driveclub until...

• Thread starter CHEN255
  • 62 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
chen-255
I found out that it has scripted AI in the offline part of the game. By this I mean that every time a particular race is re-run the AI opponents will do EXACTLY the same thing, the same crashes, manoeuvres, racing lines etc.
This just kills the game for me, here we are in 2015 and scripted AI is still being coded into racing games.
Such a shame.

Umm, no they don't. I'm not sure where you have heard that but the AI are as dynamic as the weather.

Speaking as someone who has re-run a number of tour events (the SP campaign) I was impressed with how the AI would be different each time, as in react according to each other and of course you as another driver.

I have seen them crash (in different places...same race) or not, all due to how one of them took on or avoided a sudden obstacle.

So where did you hear this?

Umm, no they don't. I'm not sure where you have heard that but the AI are as dynamic as the weather.

Speaking as someone who has re-run a number of tour events (the SP campaign) I was impressed with how the AI would be different each time, as in react according to each other and of course you as another driver.

I have seen them crash (in different places...same race) or not, all due to how one of them took on or avoided a sudden obstacle.

So where did you hear this?
Well this is very interesting, thanks for replying.
I spent about 3-4 hours researching Driveclub this morning and on a forum I was reading there was one post that said this so I googled it and there was more mention of it on a few forums and comment sections of articles about Driveclub.
I would like to hear from anyone else that can refute the scripted AI, your reply gives me some hope though.

Well this is very interesting, thanks for replying.
I spent about 3-4 hours researching Driveclub this morning and on a forum I was reading there was one post that said this so I googled it and there was more mention of it on a few forums and comment sections of articles about Driveclub.
I would like to hear from anyone else that can refute the scripted AI, your reply gives me some hope though.
Just try the PS+ free version for yourself. People can be idiots collectively, so I'd really suggest getting the PS+ version so that you can make up your own mind.

Updating to the full game is very cheap right now too, but at least this way you can try the tour events in India and the Startline Tour for free (assuming that you have a PS+ account.)

Evolution Studios has been saying for almost a year that DRIVECLUB does not have scripted AI or rubber-banding. The only thing the AI will do is slow down a little if you fall too far behind but they do not magically speed up if you are leading by a decent margin.

I've been playing since launch and have never seen anything which could be described as scripted.

Try the PS+ version.

Evolution Studios has been saying for almost a year that DRIVECLUB does not have scripted AI or rubber-banding. The only thing the AI will do is slow down a little if you fall too far behind but they do not magically speed up if you are leading by a decent margin.

I've been playing since launch and have never seen anything which could be described as scripted.

Try the PS+ version.
This is sounding very positive.
Have you rerun races within a short time to be able to notice that they play out differently as we would expect a dynamic AI to do?

Have you rerun races within a short time to be able to notice that they play out differently as we would expect a dynamic AI to do?
Listen to people who play the game alot, not those who quote heresay. If you enjoy racing games you will not be disappointed, it's the best I've ever played, and I've played a few in my time!! Oh and if you have Internet access and can get online your enjoyment will go up tenfold. I virtually only do time trial and it's amazing fun and addictive chasing down other peoples times and seeing their ghosts. From what I hear the multiplayer is even more fun. One last point, I've seen alot of people switch to project cars and then come back to driveclub that should tell you all you need to know. The only people who give it bad press have hardly played the game.

I was attempting to get a race where the 3 cars in the race were a P1, Veneno and LaFerrari and that required lots of restarts. I got to see everytime a race started and yes, the AI did the starting straight exactly the same way everytime. (The P1 moved all the way to the right and the Veneno charged up the inside.)
I think the races in Driveclub would all play out exactly the same if there wasn't a human player racing with them. However, once the player has passed them, they won't go back to a specific track set to them or crash in a specific place each race. If you squeeze in between them then their racing line may be affected for the next few corners which means lower speed coming onto the straight which means less likely to crash on an upcoming hairpin.

If you've play Until Dawn it's like the butterfly effect... Basically the AI is dynamic. :)

When playing Tour I was repeating events until I achieved 3 Stars and sometimes that was a lot of repetition. It can be tough but it's hugely enjoyable.

Gotta agree with everyone,the AI isn't scripted,and certainly doesn't rubberband other than patronizing you by slowing down a bit if you're really struggling.If you find them catching you it's because you've had a slow sector or two not some magic boost button only they have access to.Oh and in the euro store Driveclub+season pass together is only £15.99 according to Dealspwn!!! You'd be mad not to. :)

...I think the races in Driveclub would all play out exactly the same if there wasn't a human player racing with them. However, once the player has passed them, they won't go back to a specific track set to them or crash in a specific place each race. If you squeeze in between them then their racing line may be affected for the next few corners which means lower speed coming onto the straight which means less likely to crash on an upcoming hairpin... :)

Actually, I've seen them crash ahead of me plenty of times, before I even got anywhere near 'em; next time, they didn't. I wish I'd saved a replay of that race as it was hilarious.

I've played a normal Tour event once and asking myself halfway if I was actually playing an actual online race. Some of the cars brake too late in corners, and gets on the grass more often than not. There are some paint swapping, but not as aggresive as in online mode.

Its not perfect by any means, but it sure as hell ain't scripted.

Its not even surprising people said this. The witch-hunt and subsequent attempted burning of Driveclub's reputation post-release is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen from racing game fans and gamers alike.

Driveclub is a game you'll have to play to experience. Dont believe the plethora of moaners harking on about what it isn't rather than treating it for what it is.

I found out that it has scripted AI in the offline part of the game. By this I mean that every time a particular race is re-run the AI opponents will do EXACTLY the same thing, the same crashes, manoeuvres, racing lines etc.
This just kills the game for me, here we are in 2015 and scripted AI is still being coded into racing games.
Such a shame.

This has to be a wind-up right ??

This has to be a wind-up right ??
Not a wind up, but I should have asked "does DC have scripted AI?" Rather than making a statement, it has come off as provocative and I didn't mean it that way.
This game really piqued my interest in the last day or so, it wasn't even on my radar to purchase but despite a terrible launch it sounds like it is a great racer now and I was becoming genuinely excited about adding it to my collection.
So like I mentioned in my op, I spent hours researching whether it was for me or not (and several since) but when I read a few people had felt the AI was scripted it was like a pin being jabbed into a balloon, my enthusiasm just deflated.
Because of the replies I have received on here about it I am convinced now that this scripted AI accusation is not true.
My apologies if I have offended anyone by sounding strident & overly critical in my op and thanks to all who took the time to address the issue with their own experiences, I will be purchasing DC and am really looking forward to it.

Not a wind up, but I should have asked "does DC have scripted AI?" Rather than making a statement, it has come off as provocative and I didn't mean it that way.
This game really piqued my interest in the last day or so, it wasn't even on my radar to purchase but despite a terrible launch it sounds like it is a great racer now and I was becoming genuinely excited about adding it to my collection.
So like I mentioned in my op, I spent hours researching whether it was for me or not (and several since) but when I read a few people had felt the AI was scripted it was like a pin being jabbed into a balloon, my enthusiasm just deflated.
Because of the replies I have received on here about it I am convinced now that this scripted AI accusation is not true.
My apologies if I have offended anyone by sounding strident & overly critical in my op and thanks to all who took the time to address the issue with their own experiences, I will be purchasing DC and am really looking forward to it.

No worries..but like others have said, if you're not sure then try the free PS+version.
I tried that first and within a few hours I purchased the full version after loving it straight away, in my view which I guess don't mean much, it's the greatest racer I've played and certainly the most gorgeous looking...
Enjoy :cheers:

Scripted or not, the AI is not clean, they are going to ram you off the road and not leave you space when you are ahead as it should be, so thats another reason why this game is not good.

Scripted or not, the AI is not clean, they are going to ram you off the road and not leave you space when you are ahead as it should be, so thats another reason why this game is not good.
That's only when you cut them up or brake too hard - watch a replay from their perspective and that of the cars around the incident and you'll see what I mean.

...and this thread wasn't about if the game is good or not - though that seems to be your mission right now.

That's only when you cut them up or brake too hard - watch a replay from their perspective and that of the cars around the incident and you'll see what I mean.

This. I can only imagine what AI drivers would say about our driving lines and cutting them off on the inside!

If you drive cleanly and realistically (as if you've actually paid over 3,000,000 quid for your Veneno) then you'll find the AI is pretty great in this game.

Its not even surprising people said this. The witch-hunt and subsequent attempted burning of Driveclub's reputation post-release is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen from racing game fans and gamers alike.

Driveclub is a game you'll have to play to experience. Dont believe the plethora of moaners harking on about what it isn't rather than treating it for what it is.
It's funny because the only other games I can think of that have been treated like this are Project Cars (funny because it's another racing game) and Destiny.

To whoever said there is no rubber banding, I seriously doubt that. I stopped in the middle of one of the events to try and get some clean track to finish a random star and sat there for at least 45 seconds. I won the race and was able to lead the entire 3rd lap of a 3 lap race. I only won by 2-3 seconds as well. If only I had seen this post before I would have saved the recording.

@Frizbe If you slow right down they will stop and wait for you to make you keep playing -that was known from the start as often I stop take a few photos and they are sitting round the corner (you can see them on the mini map-stopped) but if you are ahead they will not all zoom past you or sit in the same race line- they are dynamic AI and pretty good once you really get in to the game and don't brake too hard or get in their way too much as said by others. There is some rubber banding but not as much as people say.

Watch this video to see how good DCs AI is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNHjNDhwIo
Nice find. I've seen similar ones for Gran Turismo 5/6 and Forza 4/5 but no one has done donuts in the face of oncoming traffic before - now that is the true test!

The narrator also makes sense when he talks about not making unexpected moves because sloppy braking at corners will get you a collision from behind. This is why I suggest to people to watch a replay from the AI perspective as then they can see how the AI tries to avoid, but in some cases cannot.

When I grinded the drafting accolade (many restarts, of course) a few months ago, I always played on the first A to B track from Scotland (in the VW Golf, so Hot Hatch class), and some AI (which I change to a lower difficulty so it would be easy to stay behind them) always did the same thing in the first hard left turn, that is crash and spun out on to the grass while the first 2-3 cars kept going.

Didn't encounter anything similar in the single player tours, but I don't think the AI is 100% dynamic.

Although I'm an online race only in Gran Turismo, I have to say that I have had no particular problems with DC's AI, & have even really enjoyed some of the races against them.

👍

I think also people don't realize how critical braking points are at the speeds they are driving in regard to talking about the AI bumping into you.I'm pretty sure if i was going thru the tunnel at Monaco with Lewis Hamilton just behind me and I braked 50metres too early it would have serious consequences.And seriously ,why is this guy Nixxxxon here? He played Driveclub for 5 minutes,hated it,and yet he seems to love hanging out with the Driveclubbers,weird.

If AI were excessively worried about colliding with you then they'd slow down and not be as competitive. This is my opinion as to why AI in Gran Turismo is no good at overtaking or taking turns while players are in the corner with them. That and they brake a bit too early.

Latest Posts

Back