I will be getting this game..finally.

• Thread starter PaddockBoy
  • 31 comments
United States
Ringgold, GA
LTNINGFan
LTNINGFan
Firstly, it's been many moons since I visited GTP. Been a member since '01. Like a homecoming of sorts:)

I don't own a PS3 yet, but will have one within a few days I imagine, since I have been given the green light by the boss-lady of the household, and I can't wait to grab this new (to me) game, and it will hold me over until the new one is out sometime this year. Thankfully there's plenty of pages to visit for reference on here...

Anything of importance I need to know in advance about this certain game before I dive into it? I'm sure you folks have spent lots of time over the past few years with this title that had to deal with certain gameplay issues, and have fixes through the trials and tribulations:)

Thanks in advance, good to be visiting the site again:tup:

F1CE is a great game - IMO, all-in-all it's the best racing sim for the PS3, so a very worthwhile purchase. You might consider trying to get hold of a PAL copy of the game, since NTSC no longer provides a server for online play. Having said that, the offline gameplay is good enough that you can put hundreds of hours just with the offline game..

F1CE is a great game - IMO, all-in-all it's the best racing sim for the PS3, so a very worthwhile purchase. You might consider trying to get hold of a PAL copy of the game, since NTSC no longer provides a server for online play. Having said that, the offline gameplay is good enough that you can put hundreds of hours just with the offline game..

Many thanks Biggles. Does the NTSC version of the PS3 support PAL games?

I had a hard time finding a PAL copy of F1CE down here in australia...no one stocks it(it`s getting old now) and ebay was empty too. I eventually tracked one down from the UK on ebay and had it shipped over cost me $70AU all up. Good luck finding one ;-)

The Amazon or E Bay copies all seem to be pretty expensive - "full-price" or more, which i guess is a tribute to the quality of this game. If the new version turns out to be crap, F1CE will remain a very desirable game.

I did see it sitting around in a Gamestop for about $15 a while ago - I guess I should have picked it up for someone ...

F1:CE is an amazing game. Sure, it's a little outdated, but everything about it is so great. I'm a little worried about the upcoming F1 game, but it's okay because I have quite the soft-spot for this one. It's one of those games, if you play the career with races at 100% length, that you can use if you had an afternoon to kill. It's quite immense, and you'll have a lot of fun for a long time.

The physics are quite stellar, as well. I do wish (if one were a wheel-user, which I am) that the force feedback, while it's quite expressive, had more depth to it. Example: weight-transfer. Don't let this bother you, as it's still a really immersive simulator! 👍

Last edited:
Many thanks Biggles. Does the NTSC version of the PS3 support PAL games?

All PS3s and PS3 games are region free :) (A very under-rated feature in my opinion).

The problem with getting a PAL copy is the shipping cost, so it's naturally going to be more expensive. Just about every major retailer does not distinguish between different region copies of PS3 games, naturally because the consoles are region free, they don't need to. Also it should be noted NTSC copies in PAL regions are easier to ocme by than PAL copies in NTSC regions, in general. Simply because the PAL regions are usually the last to recieve games, so you find a lot of second hand imports. Not sure about F1:CE though, That could well have been released in PAL first, as F1 has the largest fanbase here in Europe.

It is worth it if you are meaning to go online, or maybe even compete in the world championship thingy on this forum. But if you can't get a hold of the PAL copy it is worth getting any, because the offline gameplay is excellent.

F1:CE is an amazing game. Sure, it's a little outdated, but everything about it is so great. I'm a little worried about the upcoming F1 game, but it's okay because I have quite the soft-spot for this one. It's one of those games, if you play the career with races at 100% length, that you can use if you had an afternoon to kill. It's quite immense, and you'll have a lot of fun for a long time.

The physics are quite stellar, as well. I do wish (if one were a wheel-user, which I am) that the force feedback, while it's quite expressive, had more depth to it. Example: weight-transfer. Don't let this bother you, as it's still a really immersive simulator! 👍

Many thanks, BlackDog. I remember the joys I had playing the original F1 CE on the first Playstation. Going the fiull 100% disctance, and dealing with the variables of dry to wet, back to dry in a race was just fantastic. I look forward to seeing if this one can capture the spirit of it :)

I love using a wheel also. I don't think I could ever go back to a racing game with a regular controller now..

I am looking forward to the newest game too, but I hope it's not a let-down.

All PS3s and PS3 games are region free :) (A very under-rated feature in my opinion).

The problem with getting a PAL copy is the shipping cost, so it's naturally going to be more expensive. Just about every major retailer does not distinguish between different region copies of PS3 games, naturally because the consoles are region free, they don't need to. Also it should be noted NTSC copies in PAL regions are easier to ocme by than PAL copies in NTSC regions, in general. Simply because the PAL regions are usually the last to recieve games, so you find a lot of second hand imports. Not sure about F1:CE though, That could well have been released in PAL first, as F1 has the largest fanbase here in Europe.

It is worth it if you are meaning to go online, or maybe even compete in the world championship thingy on this forum. But if you can't get a hold of the PAL copy it is worth getting any, because the offline gameplay is excellent.

I did some searching on ebay earlier today, and some of the games fetching a high dollar. Yes, the shipping will be high for sure. Recently bought another Subbuteo Astropitch from a fellow in Essex. Shipping to the states was about $40 if I remember correctly. Almost the cost of the pitch:crazy:

I'd like to get involved with the online play, but if I can't get the PAL version at a reasonable price, I guess I will have to settle for offline..

bought my ps3 just for f1 ce:) and bought gt5p for the ferrari f1 car!! loving f1 ce! finally finished a race in monaco with full damage! what a feat for me. i just cannot seem to keep my tyres in good shape no matter what race % i use!

but yeah, this game rocks:tup:

oh yeah, i got 2 copies of f1 ce. i thought i had bought the pal, but have two ntsc copies

bought my ps3 just for f1 ce:) and bought gt5p for the ferrari f1 car!! loving f1 ce! finally finished a race in monaco with full damage! what a feat for me. i just cannot seem to keep my tyres in good shape no matter what race % i use!

but yeah, this game rocks:tup:

oh yeah, i got 2 copies of f1 ce. i thought i had bought the pal, but have two ntsc copies

Oh, what we do for our love of certain games :D I am right there with you N6. Had I not just bought a 360, I remember seeing F1 CE available when it was new, and I wanted to blow another $400 or whatever the price was of the PS3 before the drop, just to get the game. That was out of the question at the time..

If I can't get a PAL version soon enough, I may contact you to see if you'll sell your extra copy. But I still have not grabbed my PS3 yet. Maybe this weekend, hopefully :)

I took the plunge on ebay, and grabbed a PAL version for £30 with shipping. So hopefully it wont take 4 weeks to get here in the states :)

Last edited:
This thread reminded me to look for a copy of this game, and I found a Japanese copy today for ~$50. Had my first game tonight, very enjoyable! I'm sorry I waited so long to buy it now. :D

Be warned, F1:CE is nothing like real Formula One at all. F1:CE races are packed with overtaking and exciting racing, and there is absolutely none of the off-track scandals, behind-the-scenes backstabbery, the inconsistency of marshall's decisions, or the general buffoonery that is Mr. Bernie Ecclestone.

Be warned, F1:CE is nothing like real Formula One at all. F1:CE races are packed with overtaking and exciting racing, and there is absolutely none of the off-track scandals, behind-the-scenes backstabbery, the inconsistency of marshall's decisions, or the general buffoonery that is Mr. Bernie Ecclestone.

To add to that:

They don't implement new rules, ever
The slower teams don't go bankrupt
The livery on cars never changes
Sponsorships never run out or change
The numbers on the cars don't change season by season
Barrichello's helmet doesn't change every year
Drivers never switch teams in career mode (Except yourself of course)

And now some meaningful complaints:

-You can't select the tyres you want when you pit. This means there is absolutely no tactical element, because if you pit early when rain starts, you just get a new set of drys.

-There is no weather prediction system, it's completely random and you have no indication, other than the compentator telling you, after the race starts (Sometimes they don't tell you at all, the biggest sinking feeling is seeing your rain light switch itself on...)

-In Qualifying if you are on a fast lap when the timer hits 0:00, you can not complete the lap. I'm not sure if the rules were different then, but nowadays if you cross the start/finish line before the timer hits 0:00 you are allowed to finish the lap you are on before you return to the pitlane.

-You can't fire your agent. My agent failed to get me a job at BMW Sauber despite finishing above them in my first season in Super Aguri. Considering the SA other driver got 0 points, I beat both of the BMW drivers put together, having raced for only half a season, in a slower car... They didn't even offer me a test driver position. How rude.

I now have the game in hand. Shipping from Scotland to here in the states took some time. It probably sat in my local post office for days before the drunks there decided to put it out for delivery :)

Told this story on another thread but, i have recently re-acquired after stupidly getting rid of it a couple years ago(seriously regretted that), and i have to tell you that playing it again brought back just how much of a high quality game it is. The graphical clarity and framerate is matched only by GT5p. The AI is light years ahead of everything else(yes even after 4 years!), and it's just such a mighty package. Whilst i am looking forward to the new F1 2010 game, i am a bit wary about the visuals. If you remember Codemasters EGO engine(that powered Grid and Dirt) isnt very generous when it came to framerates when there's a lot on screen, and the 'tearing' effect when using the in-car view(a must for F1 games) is a bit annoying, and compared to F1:CE it appears very low-res. My only other concern is the handling. I just hope they dont go the 'realistic-but-accessible' route that plagued Grid and Dirt, and give us a full-bodied sim, because F1:CE ticked all the right boxes in that department. But as you say, if F1 2010 turns out to be a bit stinky then I like many will be happy that I have a quality F1 game in F1:CE. Something that 360 owners wont.

I finally have a wheel that I can use for the game now. I tried a regular controller, but after a few years of using a wheel for other racing games, I can't use a regular one any longer :)

After dropping $300 for a PlaySeat Evo I'd reallllllly feel like a fool using a controller. lol
I already have to defend myself to all my peers that Im not a fool in the first place for getting such a thing. (They just dont get it :) )

After dropping $300 for a PlaySeat Evo I'd reallllllly feel like a fool using a controller. lol
I already have to defend myself to all my peers that Im not a fool in the first place for getting such a thing. (They just dont get it :) )

If they bought or built a seat, they'd understand wouldn't they? I love my homemade seat :)

Back