Ian Bell Leaves Slightly Mad Studios

• Thread starter Famine
  • 42 comments
My opinion is that their best game was the arcade-ish 1st Shift title. Great control calibration and feedback for that time, great fun and physics not bad at all. Shift 2 had terrible control lag despite being a good game all-round (finished it though). PC had idiotic physics on many cars although on many was good enough. Let's see their next game now. Have a good time on holiday Ian!

Goodspeed Ian. You will be missed. Thank you for the Ferrari Racing Legends, my favorite racing game after Gran Turismo, thank you for the WMD and opportunity to be a part of original PC story.
Out of curiosity amar, why do you rate Ferrari Racing Legends so highly? I never played it myself, but from gameplay videos it looks to have the same terrible slidey/bouncey physics of Shift 1 (which I played, and hated every second of driving). You're a highly respected member here so I know you wouldn't say something out of the ordinary if you don't have a good reason behind it :)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity amar, why do you rate Ferrari Racing Legends so highly? I never played it myself, but from gameplay videos it looks to have the same terrible slidey/bouncey physics of Shift 1 (which I played, and hated every second of driving). You're a highly respected member here so I know you wouldn't say something out of the ordinary if you don't have a good reason behind it :)
If you have time to read, here is my original post from GTP on that matter with links to further reading :)

I really, really, really LOVED that game.

Whoa. If it was April 1 I would have thought it was an April Fools prank. Never saw this coming. I thank him for Project Cars though. I really enjoyed that game. All things considered he's done well and I wish him all the best in his future endeavour. Have to confess I didn't know he was also a psychologist. I'm sure he's leaving with a hefty package so is all good.

Whoa. If it was April 1 I would have thought it was an April Fools prank. Never saw this coming. I thank him for Project Cars though. I really enjoyed that game. All things considered he's done well and I wish him all the best in his future endeavour. Have to confess I didn't know he was also a psychologist. I'm sure he's leaving with a hefty package so is all good.
I think it was coming as soon as EA’s takeover of Codemasters became likely. Ian Bell has history With EA during the NFS Shift days.

If you have time to read, here is my original post from GTP on that matter with links to further reading :)

I really, really, really LOVED that game.

Thanks amar, I'm intrigued enough to hunt down a copy now. Still not convinced of the handling model from the onboards, but I'll go in with an open mind.

Have you played any of the latest generation sims like AC/ACC by the way? And how do you rate TDFRL's physics compared to those?

Since they’re trying emulate the feel of GTR2 I would love for them to focus on that era of motor sports as the early-mid 2000’s have kind of entered that period where it’s too old to be current but also too new to be considered classic. It would also give them a unique selling point since lord knows we already have enough options for modern GT3 racing.

With EA owning the franchise and Ian Bell off to crack pipe dreams somewhere else, to be honest, the odds of PC4 happening just went up, IMHO… 😂

Back