Ideas for Revising Classes for GT7

United States
Detroit
Razgriz2118
So in a previous thread, I asked what people thought about adding LMP2/DPi prototypes to Gr. 2 in the current four (well, five, but Gr. B just isn't used) class structure found in GT Sport, and from the replies, the consensus seems to be in agreement to mine that the current classes need splitting and the whole class system needs revision. These are the ideas I've had for revising the classes:

Gr. 1: Completely different from current Gr. 1, the new Gr. 1 will be reserved for LMH/LMDh class cars, and potentially all of the current non-prototype Gr. 1 cars as well.
Gr. P1: For all of the LMP1 cars and current prototype Gr. 1 cars as well.
Gr. C: For the Group C cars currently in Gr. 1.
Gr. P2: Reserved for any LMP2/DPi cars that may be added in the future (really this is a "future-proofing" class since it seems unlikely any of these cars will be added).

Gr. SF: For the Super Formula cars. While this doesn't really change anything, it makes it more identifiable what class is racing and helps restrict the car choice in online lobbies.

Gr. 2: Keep the same, modern DTM cars and the new GT500 cars (e.g. Supra GT500, FR NSX, etc.) could be added to this class in the future.

Gr. 3: Keep the same, but with older GT1/GT3 cars being added, perhaps this could be split into "3a" and "3b" subclasses, with 3a having the modern GT3 cars and 3b having the older/historic GT3/GT1 cars.

Gr. 4: Keep the same as GT Sport, but remove the FF cars, and possibly the AWD cars. Personally, I don't have gripes with the AWD cars, but I know that not everyone feels the same way.
Gr. TC: Put the former FF Gr. 4 cars into this subclass. This subclass would also allow for cars like the Civic Type R TCR and Veloster N TCR to be added, and additional fictional cars could add to the class, such as a Focus ST TC.

And in case PD decides to add Group A cars or actually use the rally cars/stages:

Gr. A: For Group A cars; potentially could split into two sub-classes for rally Group A cars and road racing Group A cars, if more are ever added.
Gr. B: Change from the current Gr. B to actual Group B cars exclusively, if more are ever added.
Gr. R: For the modernized, fictional rally cars, and potentially the real-world current WRC cars.

Of course, one of the downsides is that now there are a ton of classes, which some might find overwhelming, but to keep BoP "fair"/not broken, I think that further differentiation has to happen if PD keep adding in new cars to the game which don't fit neatly into LMP1/GT500/GT3/GT4 which the current classes are designed for.

I've said this before, but honestly I think they should just primarily utilise the PP system to categorise cars, and then let common sense dictate what cars can compete with one another in career mode events etc. Saves classes from being all convoluted.

I think they should get rid of the class system as it is now, and replace it by a "multiclass" system, where cars can be in multiple classes at the same time.

Classes can then be on multiple levels, from very broad to very specific. E.g.:

- Road Car
- Race Car
- Supercar
- Kei car
- SuperGT
- GT500
- GT3
- Le Mans car
etc.

Last edited:
Classes should really be:

• P1: Current LMP1 Hybrids
  • P1 Classic: R18 2011, 908, TS030 etc
  • Gr.C: Group C cars
  • Class One: Current GT500s, DTM
  • Gr.2: Older GT500s
  • Gr.3: GT3 + Mother Chassis GT300
  • GT Classic: Older GT1/GT2 cars
  • Gr.4: GT4
  • TC: FWD/RWD Touring Cars
  • Rally: All GTS rally cars
  • Formula A: W08
  • Formula B: Super Formula
  • Formula C: RB X14 Junior
  • Formula X: RB X14 Standard/X19 Competition
  • Formula Classic: F1500T-A

I think the classes should be;

N100-1000 (Road cars)
E100-1000 (Electric/Hybrid)
V100-1000 (Vision GTs)
Gr.1 (LMP1)
Gr.2 (Super GT)
Gr.3 (GT3)
Gr.4 (GT4)
Gr.5 (Mazda Roadster TC, other TCs)
Gr.B (Rally)
Gr.C (Group C)
Gr.D (Drifting)
Gr.F (Formula)
Gr.T (Time Attack)
Gr.X (Experimental/Concept)

Then let the PP system decide where it further belongs in the class.

I think the classes should be;

N100-1000 (Road cars)
E100-1000 (Electric/Hybrid)
V100-1000 (Vision GTs)
Gr.1 (LMP1)
Gr.2 (Super GT)
Gr.3 (GT3)
Gr.4 (GT4)
Gr.5 (Mazda Roadster TC, other TCs)
Gr.B (Rally)
Gr.C (Group C)
Gr.D (Drifting)
Gr.F (Formula)
Gr.T (Time Attack)
Gr.X (Experimental/Concept)

Then let the PP system decide where it further belongs in the class.

Please NO Electric Vehicles, NO Vision GTs and only a FEW Road Cars. For me, we only need real Racecars from Gr.1, Gr.2 GT3 and GT4.

My proposals:

Gr.1V for vintage prototypes like the Ferrari 330 P4.

Gr.3V for vintage grand tourers like the Shelby Daytona Coupe.

Gr.A for modern-styled rally cars, if PD decides to get the WRC license again. Alternatively, this group could be for Pikes Peak-spec cars, including older ones like the Suzuki Escudo, ranging to modern ones like the Tajima E-Runner.

Gr.C for rally cars before Group B, such as the Lancia Stratos.

NE-Series for electric vehicles.

Because the Gr.3 and Gr.4 class system are optimized for Manufacturer's Series (even if Bugatti didn't get a Gr.3 car... yet), any changes to the race car class/categorization system would also mean format change to Manufacturer's Series.

Because the Gr.3 and Gr.4 class system are optimized for Manufacturer's Series (even if Bugatti didn't get a Gr.3 car... yet), any changes to the race car class/categorization system would also mean format change to Manufacturer's Series.
On this note, I'd love to see other groups in the Manufacturers Series, perhaps even Gr.1.

The thing is PD have literally pressed a button and separated the era cars. We've had the Five Group C cars only. Just label them Group C era GR.1.

We've had separate races for the FF GR.4 cars. Just label them FF GR.4.

We had races with just a Cayman versus Sting Ray. M4 vs RC F. These options to select AI cars are doable. Can't understand the reason for not being able to use these functions.

Full I Multi-class Super GT in GT League. Why we can not select that for multiple Groups, again, I don't see the reason it's disabled.

The Nostalgic races allow all classic Gr.X cars, but we can't do that in Custom Race.
As has been requested infinity times, we need the option to select each AI car.

Here's my take on it:

Some categories will likely be the same, while some will probably change. Some will even get added.

Gr. 2 will see a major change.

Gr. 1 - LMP1/LMP900/IMSA GTP/Group C/Le Mans Hypercar/LMDh/prototype-style VGTs.
Gr. 2 - LMP2/Daytona Prototypes/1990's GT1 (the longtailed, prototype-like GT race cars).
Gr. 3 - FIA GT1, GT2, GT3, GTE, GTC, GTD, GTLM, GTS, Lamborghini Super Trofeo, Super GT GT300's with new regulations (within 450-500hp)
Gr. 4 - FIA GT4, SCCA, Super Taikyu, Porsche Supercup, Super GT GT300's with old regulations (within more than 300hp).
Gr. A - WRC rally cars below the Gr. B level, within 200-380hp.
Gr. B - Actual Group B rally cars, rallycross cars, such as FIA WRX and GRC.
Gr. D - Formula Drift/D1GP drift cars.
Gr. H - Historic GT cars (e.g. Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, Ferrari 250 GTO, Jaguar D-type, Aston Martin DBR1, Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa).
Gr. R - Retro grand touring cars (in the similar vein to Forza's "GT Racing Reborn" class)
Gr. S - Modern super touring cars (Super GT and JGTC - in GT500, as well as DTM).
Gr. T - European-style TCR touring cars (BTCC, WTCC, ETCC and STCC).
Gr. V - Vintage prototypes (for example, the Porsche 917 K, Ferrari 330 P4 and Ford Mark IV). Can also include Can-Am cars.
Formula E 1 (new regulations)
Formula E 2 (old regulations from 2014-2017)
IndyCar
NASCAR 1 (old regulations from 2010-2013)
NASCAR 2 (new regulations from 2016-present)
Rally Raid
Super Formula
Supercars Championship (V8 Supercars)
Trophy Trucks
Gr. X - The same as in GT Sport, for cars that do not belong in any other categories

Gr.1: Put the Vision GT cars, Group C, 2011-2015 and 2016 LMP1 cars inseparate categories each. The differences between those time periods in regards to tire wear, fuel usage and outright pace makes the current Gr.1 a mess and an overhaul like this would fix things issues somewhat.

Gr.2 Separate the 2016 and 2008 Super GT cars into their own categories as well. Same issues as above.

Gr.3: Apart from unicorn cars such as the F1, DBR9 and maybe the M3 GT2, Gr3 doesn't need an overhaul really. Even the 911 RSR, a GTE car, is quite balanced at this point. Adding newer GT3's should be their priority right now.

Gr.4: Removing FF and 4WD cars would be a good solution, but i feel that this would render Gr.4 into a "discount" Gr.3 class. Fixing the tire wear issue and better BoP would be the ideal (BoP per circuit is a good approach to this).

Last edited:
Gr.1: Put the Vision GT cars, Group C, 2011-2015 and 2016 LMP1 cars inseparate categories each. The differences between those time periods in regards to tire wear, fuel usage and outright pace makes the current Gr.1 a mess and an overhaul like this would fix things issues somewhat.

Gr.2 Separate the 2016 and 2008 Super GT cars into their own categories as well. Same issues as above.

Gr.3: Apart from unicorn cars such as the F1, DBR9 and maybe the M3 GT2, Gr3 doesn't need an overhaul really. Even the 911 RSR, a GTE car, is quite balanced at this point. Adding newer GT3's should be their priority right now.

Gr.4: Removing FF and 4WD cars would be a good solution, but i feel that this would render Gr.4 into a "discount" Gr.3 class. Fixing the tire wear issue and better BoP would be the ideal (BoP per circuit is a good approach to this).
I want to agree, but I had a better idea. Instead of creating sub-groups, there could simply be a lot more events where a sub-set of cars is the only set permitted. So instead of having a ton of events where any Gr.1 car is eligible, we could have more events like those daily races in GT Sport where only the Group C racers within Gr.1 were eligible. Otherwise, I think having an unusual combination of cars in a class helps to build on GT's identity, rather than simply having each group be a strict recreation of an actual racing class.

If anything - and if we factor out the elephant in the room known as licensing - I think more real-world classes could be added to each group, even before we get to all the other cars that would be added to each group by precedent. Here were my proposed additions:

Gr.1 - DPi, LMH, LMDh, LMP900, LMGTP, IMSA GTP, LMP2

Gr.2 - DTMasters (I.e. cars from Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Aston Martin.), JGTC GT500

Gr.3 - IMSA GTO, FIA GT2, Super GT GT300, JGTC GT300

Gr.4 - TCR

The only one I'm much less sure of is the late-90s GT1 cars, which I'm quite sure would either go into Gr.2 or Gr.1 - especially when you consider that the Panoz Esperante GTR-1 later raced as a prototype. Otherwise, I think it could be nice to see more mid-90s and late-00s/early-10s GT1 cars in Gr.3, like the Maserati MC12 and Saleen S7-R, or the Nissan Skyline R33 LM.

Now, I'm not sure how much of this could actually happen, especially with the licensing for DTM, IMSA cars, and also any sort of Le Mans racers, with Motorsports Games being the wildcard for the last one. But if licensing proves to be a notable hurdle, I think this could lead to PD creating even more made-for-game racers like we see in Gr.3, and that could build GT's identity even further - especially if PD decides to not simply make their own version of the same real-world racers, but perhaps use a different road car as a base. So for example, I believe it was only the first-gen Audi TT that was in DTM, but what if PD created a more modern DTM racer based on the third-gen TT? Or, instead of the BMW M4 DTM, PD could create a BMW Z4 (G29) DTM? That's before we get into other automakers joining Gr.2 through other made-for-game racers. Other UK automakers come to mind, such as Jaguar.

And I don't know if I mentioned this already in this thread, but I'd also seriously propose two new classes - one for vintage prototype like the Ferrari 330 P4, and another for vintage grand tourers such as the Shelby Daytona Coupe. Ideally, I'd like to minimize the amount of cars placed in Gr.X, as I think some do deserve the placement, such as any models with the ability DRS/ERS, and track-only machines like the Zonda R. (Indeed, I think the Aston Martin Vulcan should be placed in Gr.X in GT7.) I think unfortunately, some cars will stay in Gr.X simply because the game might not include any cars that it could compete with, as we might see again with the Renault R8 Gordini and that 1960s Mercedes-Benz racer tuned by AMG. This, of course, is before we get into truly unusual machines, like the Honda 2&4 Concept.

But I would also include a class (or better yet, a series of classes) for electric vehicles, especially with how many EVs are currently around - this is also to prevent stuff like the Porsche Taycan from being put into Gr.X. Ideally, I'd somehow include them into the N-Series itself, but I'm not sure how that'd get balanced when it comes to fuel/charge consumption. I also wonder if some machines with CVTs, like the Toyota FT-1 Concept, could also be put into the N-Series? I think it was originally planned for it, too.

Last edited:
Back