If GT5 was delayed for 3D.........

  • Thread starter Thread starter machschnel
  • 43 comments
  • 4,558 views
Messages
926
Messages
machschnel
I remember a point late last year where KY said GT5 was ready to be released, Polyphony was just waiting for a good time (chosen by Sony I'd gather). Everything was looking good for an early 2010 release date.

Then came Avatar...........

The sheer popularity this enjoyed was immense. A lot of this has been attributed to the fact that it was 3D (which I think is false). So when companies like Sony see this they of course assume the latest craze in TV's will be 3D.

It was around this time we found out GT5 would be delayed and it's safe to assume that 3D/Avatar is the reason. What else could it be? Polyphony were ready to go, the game nearly done, so what else could cause what may end up being a year delay?

If GT5 has been delayed to implement 3D and then wait to sell it at the optimum time for selling new 3D TV's along with it, I will be livid. Surely they could have released "standard" GT5 (which 99% of people will play mind you) and then brought the 3D aspect as DLC?
 
Yeah I think that 3D is partly the reason that they were delayed. But i'm sure there is a quote from KY saying that he wouldn't have been able to add some things to the game if it had been released in March.
 
Lots of comments on PS3 3d June update GT5 thread
 
3D IS delaying GT5. Not only for obvious marketing reasons but also because Pd worked hard to implement it:
(1:23-2:02)

 
This pisses me off beyond belief (although I'm waiting patiently) simply because I don't have the ability to see in stereo 3D like these TVs are marketing.
 
ITs annoying gt5 delay cuz of 3d Tech. 98.7 percent wont use 3d feature..They think about future..IF technology stops Gt5 will come out.
 
This pisses me off beyond belief (although I'm waiting patiently) simply because I don't have the ability to see in stereo 3D like these TVs are marketing.
I'm kinda' in the same boat - although I can see it to some degree, but the effect is not as pronounced as some make out. The thing is, I know a lot of people who can see stereoscopic images, and a lot of those find it uncomfortable after a while (nausea, headaches etc.)

I'd rather invest my money in some proper 3D technology that lets you look around the image without the need for stupid glasses.

Anyway, I'm sure 3D is part of the equation, with Kaz simply being diplomatic about it all, making use of the extra time he has available.
 
Myabe all games got delay because of 3D.. oh boy
 
The delay has now been too much for me, have invested in some pc racing games. The chances of me having a 3D tv in the next 10 years are so close to zero that they basically are zero. Playing other games feels a bit like cheating on the wife, once you get a taste for there is no going back.
 
Last edited:
The chances of me having a 3D tv in the next 10 years are so close to zero that they basically are zero.
Well if 3D becomes mainstream, you probably will have a 3D TV in the next ten years, just as now you can't buy a TV without it being HD, you won't be able to buy one thats not 3d
 
Exacly, soon all TVs will be 3D tvs.. 120hz + I bet in 5 years they will drop prices and cost as much as a todays HD TV.
 
Exacly, soon all TVs will be 3D tvs.. 120hz + I bet in 5 years they will drop prices and cost as much as a todays HD TV.

I doubt it. 3D TV's are much more a niche market than something like HD TV's. Look at Blu - Ray. You could argue that it still doesn't have a massive sales rate compared to current DVD sales. Consumers accepted HD because it is a practical and useful advancment. Who doesn't want better picture quality?

But 3d? All the 3D I have seen as been uninspiring - Avatar, the cream of the crop, left me unimpressed.

In a way, I can understand Sony pushing this. But just think. How many people are there in the world. How many own a PS3. How many can afford 3D. How many want 3D................. not a huge amount. Yes push 3D, but not at the PS3's expense.
 
Exacly, soon all TVs will be 3D tvs.. 120hz + I bet in 5 years they will drop prices and cost as much as a todays HD TV.

Yes. Perfect timing, in fact, for the PS4 and GT6.

I hope they're not wasting too much time and resources screwing around with 3D in the current gen. If they really want it, do a GT-3D update disc next year for $40 - the proportion of GT fans who want or can display 3D will be infinitesimal for at least a year or two and those who really want it will pay for an upgrade.
 
I doubt it. 3D TV's are much more a niche market than something like HD TV's. Look at Blu - Ray. You could argue that it still doesn't have a massive sales rate compared to current DVD sales. Consumers accepted HD because it is a practical and useful advancment. Who doesn't want better picture quality?

But 3d? All the 3D I have seen as been uninspiring - Avatar, the cream of the crop, left me unimpressed.

In a way, I can understand Sony pushing this. But just think. How many people are there in the world. How many own a PS3. How many can afford 3D. How many want 3D................. not a huge amount. Yes push 3D, but not at the PS3's expense.

Either way, if you like 3D or not, ALL TVs will be ready. In order to have any 3D tv all you need is a 120 hz, most HD TVs are 60-80hz, 120hz is nothing, some tvs now make over 200hz, (i dont know exact number).

In 10 years, 3D will come in Bluray as an option, you will be able to switch from 3D to normal experience.. its just progression like it or not.

Yes. Perfect timing, in fact, for the PS4 and GT6.

I hope they're not wasting too much time and resources screwing around with 3D in the current gen. If they really want it, do a GT-3D update disc next year for $40 - the proportion of GT fans who want or can display 3D will be infinitesimal for at least a year or two and those who really want it will pay for an upgrade.


Also yeah just in time for PS4, new Xbox and Nintendo...

But I do not think There will be separate GT5 game, it should not take that long to make GT5 in 3D.. all you need to do is double up the image.. and configure it with the glasses.. very simple.

Heck, NVIDIA is already doing it, all you need is LCD with 120HZ +, and to buy Nvidia software with glasses.. I dont know if it works with ALL games, but theres lots of them.

Yes NVIDIA 3D works with ALL games, some new ones look better. Their website states that you don't need patches for 3D vision. So I bet once PS4 comes out, the 3D will be build in already, and there won't be any need for games like GT5 to have patches or different game codes...
 
Last edited:
Even if 3D is part of the delay I highly doubt the success of Avatar has anything to do with it, this 3D push has been part of Sony's plans for some time, probably even during the design of the PS3.

One thing in my mind to do with the delay is that perhaps Sony (and other manufacturers of 3D hardware/software) are having to get past a lot of health and safety regulations in countries around the world since this has never been done on this scale before and has the possibility of people using it regularly for long periods.

Anyone know if they plan to support anaglyph/colorcode?
 
Well, think about this way . GT is the main sony title and if anything can boost 3DTV sales trough the roof GT can. For a past few years economy and few other stuff were hard on Sony and PS department . They need money if we want to see ps4 and another GT title.

Yeah, Im pissed off to, but when you think about it. If GT can do 3D on single ps3 (Im impressed) , then any other game can, and its kindda proof. It also shows how good PD are.

If I waited this long I will wait until end of the year (well unless something happens to me :D). In the mean while i just started to enjoy gt5p ...

And you not just have to double the image. The trick is that both of them are rendered real time and are at a slightly different angle. (Its not that simple. It requires processing power)
 
Last edited:
Either way, if you like 3D or not, ALL TVs will be ready. In order to have any 3D tv all you need is a 120 hz, most HD TVs are 60-80hz, 120hz is nothing, some tvs now make over 200hz, (i dont know exact number).

In 10 years, 3D will come in Bluray as an option, you will be able to switch from 3D to normal experience.. its just progression like it or not.

1. Its 240Hz
2. I think its safe to say that its gonna be way less than 10 years. 5 years most and it won't be an option. 2d will be an option


Also yeah just in time for PS4, new Xbox and Nintendo...

But I do not think There will be separate GT5 game, it should not take that long to make GT5 in 3D.. all you need to do is double up the image.. and configure it with the glasses.. very simple.

Heck, NVIDIA is already doing it, all you need is LCD with 120HZ +, and to buy Nvidia software with glasses.. I dont know if it works with ALL games, but theres lots of them.

Yes NVIDIA 3D works with ALL games, some new ones look better. Their website states that you don't need patches for 3D vision. So I bet once PS4 comes out, the 3D will be build in already, and there won't be any need for games like GT5 to have patches or different game codes...

PS3 is ready for 3d so we don't need to wait for PS4 You haven't been
following tech lately have you?
 
Peripheral vision > 3D vision, 3D is over-rated...its a nice effect but will it make great viewing 100% of the time rather than at the odd film or whatever? And what about people like me who already wear glasses? How available are 3D screens which don't need extra glasses going to be?
I think you gain much more of an experience having some kind of peripheral vision like with multiple screens or canopy screens, as its more natural than the 3D effect.

I think 3D is a technology yet to be perfected, there are still several flaws with it and I don't see it catching on.
 
GT5 has definitely been delayed due to 3DTVs. I was recently informed that there will be 2 versions of GT5, 2D & 3D.

The Sony range of 3DTVS will be launched in June and the 40" version will cost around £2000, 60" £3500!

This is why I believe that during the Sony E3 presentation they will showcase GT5 being played in 3D on a Sony 3DTV. I also believe they will announce the GT5 release date being only a few weeks away. Like i've said many times poor old MS will be blown away by Sony this year at the E3 show.

Releasing GT5 around the same time as the Sony 3DTVs with the PS3 being 3D compatitable means greater sales of all 3 products. Think about it from a business perspective wouldn't you do the same?
 
3D has been promoted by the entertainment industry for quite some time now:

(IMHO this could have been be posted in the cool video thread)

Not sure the present try will be the successful one, even thought this time it looks like many major companies are simultaneously involved and joining forces to strike the market heavily.

I have to admit I’m not ultimately excited by this particular technology, and can hardly see it exceeding the latest cool/funny gimmick status again. (I realize there's an important probability I'll be proven wrong here)

As far as GT5 could be concerned, I fear it may be too resources consuming in terms of graphic smoothness and more importantly grid opponents count and probably too uncomfortable for the long off/online sessions I’m looking for.

Anyway: “There’s nothing like riding in a big comfortable car”:)
 
PS3 is ready for 3d so we don't need to wait for PS4 You haven't been
following tech lately have you?

Yes I know, But PS4 will have it build in. as well FPS would not have to drop. Not to mention, I don't know if ALL games will work on PS3 with 3D.
 
Then came Avatar...........

The sheer popularity this enjoyed was immense. A lot of this has been attributed to the fact that it was 3D (which I think is false).

Yeah right, Avatar's story is what brought all those people to the theater. I'd cast my vote on 3D, winter release, big puppy eyes, baby foreheads, catlike noses and oversaturated colors being the main reasons people enjoyed it so much. And the fact that society is more and more immature, grown-ups are emotionnaly children and that movie is a kid movie, do the maths. The list of what's wrong with this movie could go on and on, from polarizing story and characters to overhyped media promotion.

I'd rather have a bigger screen at the same price than 3D. And my hockey playoffs won't be 3D anytime soon, they can barely send true 720p to my household, there is compression all over the picture, forget about everyday 3D = forget about 3D. Reality will kick in sooner or later.

3D is the new beta max.
 
Last edited:
Yes I know, But PS4 will have it build in. as well FPS would not have to drop. Not to mention, I don't know if ALL games will work on PS3 with 3D.

First of all, ps3 only needs an update for 3d so its pretty much built in. Around 0 games that have already launched will work on PS3 on 3D. Wipeout, a Motorstorm demo and GT5(eventhough i think its gonna be limited only to some cars and tracks).
 
3D is the new beta max.

Betamax didnt fail because it wasnt good, well technically we know was better than VHS. It failed because JVC licensced the VHS technology and it became more widespread quicker.

I think we could say Sony learned their lesson and with Blu Ray and done a similar thing ensuring widespread sales by incorporating Blu Ray into the PS3. Hence why HD-DVD couldnt keep up with its sales and was never going to. Sony had the most backing as well which was added benifit.

Prices are the drawback at the moment.
Now if their was a £300 24" 3DTV available and people didnt have to spend £2000+ to obtain the technology.
Also with PS3 offering an upgrade for free are you telling me a large percentage of people wouldnt be interested in 3D Gaming?
Give it a year to prices and amount of content available encourages sales more. By which time lots of games will be in 3D in the next 1-2 years now that the HDMI standard has been set.

Not sure I see it being like betamax at all friend.
 
Last edited:
First of all, ps3 only needs an update for 3d so its pretty much built in. Around 0 games that have already launched will work on PS3 on 3D. Wipeout, a Motorstorm demo and GT5(eventhough i think its gonna be limited only to some cars and tracks).

But what I mean, is that PS3 will have any frame drops in some games? They double up the image right? Or it does not take almost any procession power?
So if PS3 will take FPS down a bit with 3D enabled, the PS4 wont affect it.
 
But what I mean, is that PS3 will have any frame drops in some games? They double up the image right? Or it does not take almost any procession power?
So if PS3 will take FPS down a bit with 3D enabled, the PS4 wont affect it.

The Wipeout 3d resolution went from 1080p to 720p because the ps3 can't output 2 1080p images at 120Hz.
 
Good info here guys....

3D will use max 720p and sub 720p to ensure framerates match 2D versions
Jaggies will be improved though in AA for 3DTV
Vsync will be applied
Its likely GT5 in 3D will reduce the resolution but implement AA to compensate.

*Motorstorm single level demo confirmed for PSN (Sub 720p with some effects removed @ 30 frames original)
*Wipeout 3D (720p 30 frames compared to 1080p 60 frames for original)
 
Last edited:
Yeah right, Avatar's story is what brought all those people to the theater. I'd cast my vote on 3D, winter release, big puppy eyes, baby foreheads, catlike noses and oversaturated colors being the main reasons people enjoyed it so much. And the fact that society is more and more immature, grown-ups are emotionnaly children and that movie is a kid movie, do the maths. The list of what's wrong with this movie could go on and on, from polarizing story and characters to overhyped media promotion.

I'd rather have a bigger screen at the same price than 3D. And my hockey playoffs won't be 3D anytime soon, they can barely send true 720p to my household, there is compression all over the picture, forget about everyday 3D = forget about 3D. Reality will kick in sooner or later.

3D is the new beta max.

I never said the story was good mate (I actually didn't rate it at all), I was just saying I think there were other reasons it was so popular with the masses (read sheep). Just look at Titanic..........

And I 100% agree with you. I could have a huge, top of the range LED TV for the price of a small, rubbish 3D TV (3D WILL NOT be perfected for years, even LCD and Plasma had there dramas) ... no thanks
 
Gran Turismo games are always delayed, just Remember GT-Portable and GT4.

PD will not release a game until they think this game is truhtly finished, this is how you create perfection and PD has always delivered nothing but perfection.
 
Back