If you could play a game again for the very first time, what would it be?

• Thread starter TypeRDC5
  • 53 comments
United Kingdom
Silverstone
Saw this a while ago and thought it would make a good topic.

If you could experience a game again for the first time as if you had never played it before what would it be?
So in other words what gaming experiences were so good first time around you wish you could forget them completely and get that feeling when you first played them again.

I would have to go with GTA3 and The Last of Us.

Both blew my mind when i first played them, GTA3 was a full living world like nothing i had seen before at the time, it totally caught me off guard when it got released, i bought it without expecting much and played it non stop for over a year, half the time just crusing around listening to all the different radio stations.

And The Last of Us is one of the few games that for me has lived up to expectations, the hype was so big and for once the hype train delivered an amazing game, i have played through it 4 times but the first time was something special giving me a feeling only the original trilogy of Resident Evil games on the ps1 had done. Never been so sad to see a game end.

I would replay Driver on the ps1. So many fun times in that game, especially when you could go out in the desert and do donuts everywhere. Too bad the disc is wrecked now :indiff:

World of WarCraft. Mainly because I'd love to finally know whether the game was actually better back in the day or whether it's all just nostalgia :lol:

I'd play Spyro 2 again. It was one of of the best games on PS1 and one of my favourites of all time.

GTA3, I had the same experience as the OP, picked it up because I remember the old ones were a fun game. I didn't expect to be blown away by it.
Also Flashback was amazing when it came out, I loved the sci fi story with stunning graphics and animation for the time.

It would have to be Dirt to Daytona. I had so many good memories playing that game until I gave it to a friend of mine.

I would say Hexen for the Nintendo 64. That game was so massive(at the time), and it was almost like a sandbox-style game. The worlds interlinked with one another through portals. I bought it again in 2012 for my PS1, but it was confusing and I didn't know where to start. I don't know how I got through it as a child :lol:

MGS on PS1 crawling through the drainage system and the screeching alert sounds when detected 👍 The best gaming experience for me ever bar Gran Turismo :bowdown:

For me it would have to be Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.

AC4 was the first game of that series I owned and I loved it dearly, but AC5 was the first game that I was really anticipating ever since I saw the first screens being teased for it. When I finally got my hands on it I was simply blown away. Awesome graphics for the day, fun missions, and I actually felt like I was a part of that squadron and was actually sad whenever someone died. The whole game in general just blew my 13-year-old mind.

GTA: San Andreas.

Blew me away the first time. The scale of it! The sheer scale of it! You have to escape the city and drive for miles and miles to get to the next place! Now all I have to do is follow the damn train! Now I'm flying an RC plane around the city! Now I'm in the desert! Now I've found a monster truck! Now I'm stealing a jetpack from the military!

Tourist Trophy.

It blew my mind to think of a motorcycle game running a modified GT4 engine and actually work.
I had a lot of fun playing it, and I would do anything to experience it again.

Great thread @TypeRDC5

On PS3 it would be Uncharted 2 for me without a doubt.
Those first moments climbing the outside of the train carriage were unforgettable and the rest of the game lived up to it...

Going back further, Dragon Quest VIII would be high on my list. Pitch perfect pacing and that "blooming" accent :lol:

Going back, way back, Sbuggetti Junction on the, erm, Spectrum I think. Even 30 years later I remember the hours spent trying to get to the next level (after the hours spent loading the game from the cassette of course :crazy:

Great thread @TypeRDC5

On PS3 it would be Uncharted 2 for me without a doubt.
Those first moments climbing the outside of the train carriage were unforgettable and the rest of the game lived up to it...

Going back further, Dragon Quest VIII would be high on my list. Pitch perfect pacing and that "blooming" accent :lol:

Going back, way back, Sbuggetti Junction on the, erm, Spectrum I think. Even 30 years later I remember the hours spent trying to get to the next level (after the hours spent loading the game from the cassette of course :crazy:

Should've included uncharted 2 myself, that train sequence was amazing first time around, with graphics and voice acting to match the epicness of the gameplay.

Also a mention for need for speed underground 2, still the best open world racing game i have played to date.

...........On PS1, it probably is FF8. Not the best one in the series, I know, but the fact it was the first game I bought with my own moolah has something to do with it....In fact, I still own the 4-disc original copy. Somewhere, in the house....
But the one I wanna play again? The first Devil May Cry. Got it as a "Platinum" game (remember those?) not knowing anything about it - suffice to say, I was hooked.

I guess my obvious answer is obvious: Metal Gear Solid! Especially at the age I'm at now.

Back when it came out (1998, right?), 11-year-old me saw an advert on the back of a Playstation magazine featuring a really, really cool illustration of Metal Gear REX and my Transformers-addled brain didn't think 'this game looks interesting', it thought 'BIG ROBOT MUST PLAY GAME'. So I did, I was disappointed I didn't get to use the big robot and I wasn't very good at it, but somehow, against all the odds, it stuck with me and I didn't give up until I completed it - maybe because a friend of mine had an Action Replay so we just cheated our way through... I didn't pay any attention to the story beyond the basics, either.

If I could somehow go back in time as I am now but without my memory of how games have advanced since then, I'm sure MGS would blow me away far more effectively than it did then. But even back then I loved the characters and the way Kojima made the fourth wall into something more like a revolving door - Psycho Mantis, the way characters referred to controller buttons as if they were things in real life, i.e. "Press the action button to regain your strength" - so, yeah, that's my main choice.

In terms of pure amazement, though, I think maybe Just Cause 2 would be fun to try all over again. I remember the demo better than I remember most games I've played since, it was just so much fun. Then the actual game came out and it was less fresh, but I still play it now and I've gotten beyond 80% completion three times, one of those times on hardcore mode...

For me, it would be Burnout 3: Takedown. Frustrating? Yes. Hair Pulling? Yes. Fun: OH HELL YEAH.
Burnout 3 was the best. For me it was 2 games in one!

Crash mode was 'crash this car here and destroy everything!' While tour mode was classic burnout. Just plain racing with takedowns!

The first game to really blow my mind was morrowind. A game where you can do anything is just crazy.

Some others:

Need for speed underground 2
Farcry 2
Assassins creed 2
Gran turismo 4

Why is it the sequel is always the best :)

For me, it would probably have to be Riven. It was the first PC game I ever got as a gift (from my grandparents for my birthday) and my dad had to spend about a week trying to get the needed directX to work on our computer. The first time I loaded the game and was sent to the world of Riven the beautiful islands and insanely amazing music (i still listen to that soundtrack) drew me in in ways i didn't previously know were possible.

Yes! Well, nearly; Myst was the first not-shareware game I had, being able to play that for the first time again would be pretty cool. I recently got the realMyst Masterpiece Edition which is pretty good, I have yet to play any of the sequels even though I play through Myst at least once every couple of years. Have you heard of the Starry Expanse project?

Latest Posts

Back