If you had to stick to one video game for an entire year, what would it be?

United States
The US of A
Here's a fun little thread I have been meaning to make for a while now. :D As the title indicates, if you had to stick to one video game for a whole year and couldn't play any other video game but that one, what would your choice be? Now as far as how or why you would ever do this, you're free to come up with your own scenario for that, but it can be only one game and nothing more. ;)

Fun question.

I've only got a PS4 and XB1. I'd say GTA V.
Main reason is, the choice of open world and switchable characters. Online option is there(which I rarely venture into) and replayability is high for me.

Not a game but Microsoft Flight Simulator, I’m already spending more hours on it than any other title since my beloved Driveclub

In the 12 months after it came out (whenever it was, 2018?) I only played Forza Horizon 4. I didn't really mean to, but it was a lot of fun, easy to pick up, relaxing and there was so much to do. And I love cars. FH5 will be eclipsed by the fact that my first child is due two weeks after, I'm hoping it'll run on a Steam Deck so I can play it at work but I can't see it being the only game I play if that's going to be how I play games for a while.

I played Red Dead Redemption 2 between April and June and I reckon that if I'd taken it even slower I could've made it last a year. I spent the first few weeks taking it really, really slowly and just enjoyed the lockdown escapism, but then I remembered I bought it primarily so I could play it before the baby arrives and thought I might not actually make it if I kept taking my time over everything, so I started to focus on doing the story missions instead. I think if I'd known how it ended (broadly speaking), I would've spent even more time on it.

Well, I only play Forza Horizon 4 at the moment so this is another vote for that game.

Last edited:
Pro Evo 20. At least every match is different. A racing game like Horizon doesn't change enough from one week to the next.

If I was starting fresh and all knowledge of said game was erased from memory, definitely Forza Horizon 4. I spent the first 10-ish months playing it non-stop, so I could easily see myself stretching it out for a year.

Last edited:
VXR
Pro Evo 20. At least every match is different. A racing game like Horizon doesn't change enough from one week to the next.
That's what I like about it lol. Gonna be ditching it for the new one soon enough though.

Last edited:
Probably COD Warzone if it wasn’t a broken, unbalanced, hacker infested **** show of a game atm. I love Battle Royale and sadly this the best we have atm.

So GTS would be my choice. Imo it’s still the best game on console if you just want to jump on and do online racing at any given time.

Last edited:
I would stick to Ridge Racer 7. Old arcade classic, runs 60 fps on ps3. So much to do, online is still active, extremely easy to learn, extremely hard to master. Good amount of customization, and a good amount of cars as well. Love RR Type 4 as well, but the graphics would start to hurt my head after so long.

Probably Cities:Skylines on the PC. At ~700 hours within the past 12 months, I'm pretty sure it's occupied 95% of my gaming time anyway.
That game is just way too addictive. I would love to try it on pc with mods.

Last edited:
That game is just way too addictive. I would love to try it on pc with mods.
It's about the largest time sink I've ever experienced in gaming :D, it makes hunting around San Andreas to take photo's of glowing orbs at midnight seem like a 5 minute job.

Probably Cities:Skylines on the PC. At ~700 hours within the past 12 months, I'm pretty sure it's occupied 95% of my gaming time anyway.
Ditto on that. In the current times I just haven't the mental fortitude for narrative games, Cities is perfect to just sink in hours while listening to music. Nice and relaxed gaming.

Nice and relaxed gaming.
Me: relaxing

My extractors: "Not enough buyers for products"

My processors: "Not enough raw materials"

Me:
Stressed Out Reaction GIF

:D

Without a doubt it would be Forza Horizon 4. On average I purchase two games per year and one of those two games are usually a Forza Motorsport or Forza Horizon. Since there was no Forza Motorsport 8 on Xbox One I have been playing Forza Horizon 4 since the day it was released. The only other game I have purchased since then was Snow Runner but I quickly went back to Forza Horizon 4 after completing all of the non-dlc campaign missions.

I think I would have Skyrim. Because of how much content there is. I still haven’t seen everything and played it kn Ps3, Ps4 and Switch. Alternatively, maybe if I have the witcher 3 exclusively for a year I might be able to actually finish it…..

A new Gran Turismo or a new Battlefield are the only 2 games which would and have previously done so.

Cities skylines wasn't far off so if a CS2 is release can also add that to the list.

Forza Horizon 4 easily. There is just no other racing game that provides me as much cars as FH4 does, not even GTS especially. Heck, I've even played it for basically two years exclusively (soon to be three) until the next one comes out, which is also gonna be my next main title to play.

Forza Horizon 4 easily. There is just no other racing game that provides me as much cars as FH4 does, not even GTS especially. Heck, I've even played it for basically two years exclusively (soon to be three) until the next one comes out, which is also gonna be my next main title to play.
Welcome, brother... :lol:

Last edited:
Back