Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Igor Fraga Will Race a GT300 Lexus in the 2023 Super GT Championship

After a break in real-world racing following the controversial events at the end of the 2020 FIA Formula 3 championship, Igor Fraga will be returning to action this season in Japan’s major national racing series...

Last edited:
It's going to be a tough season for the Toyota GT500 camp, but an even tougher one for Arnage in the GT300.

That is super cool. Awesome to see someone who started with sim racing parlay that over to real racing. GL dude!

Yes, please!
I think that in the case of Fraga, he got behind the wheel of a racing car before he won the GTWC series, they say that he has been racing karting since the age of 3 years.

I'm curious what was so controversial about his F3 experience a few years ago?
Heading into the last round of the season - after being the top points scorer and top performer for the backmarker team (Charouz) for which he was driving right up until Belov got a fluke 8th in the penultimate round - he agreed to do the last race for a very much front-running team (Hitech); Max Fewtrell had left Hitech and the guy who filled his seat for the penultimate round (Clovet) wasn't available due to FREC commitments.

Fraga was reportedly all paid up by his sponsors (Red Bull/Sony) at Charouz and cleared to race for Hitech when... apparently Charouz changed its mind and opened a contract dispute - seemingly frivolously (and it's not like they don't have form on that front) and pretty much on the day of first practice.

That meant he couldn't drive for Hitech and as a result both Charouz and Hitech ran the final race of the season with two drivers instead of three, so Fraga didn't get the chance to show what he could have done with an actually useful car.

I'm not sure why Red Bull ended the sponsorship precisely - I'd guess at the fact he was 24th (which outperformed the car by a mile, but still 24th) and they paid for 18 races but got 16 would have had something to do with it.

Heading into the last round of the season - after being the top points scorer and top performer for the backmarker team (Charouz) for which he was driving right up until Belov got a fluke 8th in the penultimate round - he agreed to do the last race for a very much front-running team (Hitech); Max Fewtrell had left Hitech and the guy who filled his seat for the penultimate round (Clovet) wasn't available due to FREC commitments.

Fraga was reportedly all paid up by his sponsors (Red Bull/Sony) at Charouz and cleared to race for Hitech when... apparently Charouz changed its mind and opened a contract dispute - seemingly frivolously (and it's not like they don't have form on that front) and pretty much on the day of first practice.

That meant he couldn't drive for Hitech and as a result both Charouz and Hitech ran the final race of the season with two drivers instead of three, so Fraga didn't get the chance to show what he could have done with an actually useful car.

I'm not sure why Red Bull ended the sponsorship precisely - I'd guess at the fact he was 24th (which outperformed the car by a mile, but still 24th) and they paid for 18 races but got 16 would have had something to do with it.
Thanks for that! Seems to be the general story over a couple sources from a Google search too. Marko giveth, Marko taketh.

Was hoping that since the livery was made in GT7, it would be available for us all in the same way as the World Tour liveries. Does sort of explain why teal was such a large factor in the Manufacturer liveried Lexus though.

... and Steve Alvarez Brown and Jimmy Broadbent have been signed up by Bilstein, so Steve could be next?

He's a legit GT story 'cause it's pretty-much the only sim he's played. It was the 200-lap challenge he set himself for charity that led to the Bilstein contract.
Didn't he start out on Forza, though? I also recall from one of his streams that he's played ACC (though he never posted a video on it).

Back