ilikewaffles11's Toyotas

United States
Pennsylvania
Ilikewaffles_11
Hello folks, I can now finally call this '85 Supra my own. Here it is, in all of it's glory after being washed. Nice and clean.

image.jpg

So, a little bit about the car. I'll get to the backstory a bit later. Anyway, it's almost entirely stock, I think the only thing that isn't is the exhaust. Not everything is original however, it didn't look nowhere near as nice as it did when my dad originally bought it. Yes, my dad did purchase the car I did not pay for it. Now, it's not like the car was $4K or anything, on fact in total (including the two donor cars and the new paint job), there maybe $2500 into this car. I've even offered to pay for the thing. However, I am paying for insurance, gas, any needed repairs and whatnot. Plus I did have to put some work into it, which I guess counts for something right?

The engine is the mighty 5MGE, a 2.8 L DOHC inline 6. Not a real powerful car, but it handles great and it fun to drive.
image.jpg

Some interior shots. The drivers seat has a rip in it (can't tell by these photos, but it's there) so I'll probably need to have them reupholstered at some point.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Only 136,356 miles as it stands today.
image.jpg

As I mentioned, it's not all original and some donor cars were involved. Two cars gave their lives for this one to run. The engine was pretty solid, needed a tune up and a new radiator. Then later on the alternator kicked the bucket which luckily we had a spare. Mainly the only thing that needed work was the body. It was in a slight accident at some point, hit in the front left fender. The front bumper, front left headlight, fender flare, and fender were all replaced along with the front right fender flare which was chewed up. Because the donor cars were different colors, my dad sent it to the body shop for a respray. Wasn't a particularly expensive paint job (was like $800), but it looks nice.

Here's what it originally looked like
image.jpg

And here are the two donor cars. This one is an '82 L Type, the engine on it was fairly good so some bits were taken off of it
image.jpg

The second one was an '84 P Type with an automatic trans. This was eventually stripped down to nothing more than a shell. The only major parts left on it were the wheels and the engine block.
image.jpg

This was all done about a year and a half ago, so I've just been waiting until I could finally get my hands on it. My dad drive it a while, however he bought his own '85 Supra which was in way nicer shape.

Took it to some shows and whatnot, Cars and Coffee
image.jpg

And here's the back end, I'd like to do something with those exhaust tips. I'm not a huge fan of that.
image.jpg

So, there it is, my newly acquired Supra. Thanks to the three of you who bothered to read through my novel. :P I'm looking forward to many miles of cruising, car shows, and good times in general in this thing! :D

Very nice car. 👍 Do you have any plans for it?

Thanks!

I don't really have much planned, the only thing I might do is put a new exhaust on it. I figure that almost all MK2 Supras are all beat up, tuned, made into drift cars that are poorly put together, etc. so I wanna leave mine alone. It's always nice to see a nice stock example of an old car, and I feel like soon there won't be many of these left in this kind of condition.

Yes kill those exhaust tips... Take it to the autocross!

Yea, at some point those are gonna go...

And that was the plan! This is definitely gonna see some autocross action at some point.

Clean Supra! A question though, what's the fate of the Celica you briefly had? Or that badass 2.2 Camry, too.

Clean Supra! A question though, what's the fate of the Celica you briefly had? Or that badass 2.2 Camry, too.

Well, the legendary Camry was sold off to someone my dad knows. He works down the street from where I do, so I still get to see it from time to time. :D

As for the Celica, I still have that actually. I've been using that for days when the weather is crappy. That'll be the beater car, however I'll still probably daily drive the Supra.

As for the Celica, I still have that actually. I've been using that for days when the weather is crappy. That'll be the beater car, however I'll still probably daily drive the Supra.

I don't envy you east-coast folks a whole lot, what with the snow, the humidity in the summer and the higher concentration of population, but you guys get way bigger lots in your suburbs. As much as I'd like a second car, it'd have to be parked on the street. You're a lucky guy to have multiple cars! 👍

I don't envy you east-coast folks a whole lot, what with the snow, the humidity in the summer and the higher concentration of population, but you guys get way bigger lots in your suburbs. As much as I'd like a second car, it'd have to be parked on the street. You're a lucky guy to have multiple cars! 👍

Indeed! However I do have to park my cars on the street. At the moment, the Supra resides in the garage however my dad is gonna start taking some of his cars out of hibernation(he stores them in the rental building we own next to work) so I'm gonna need to leave it out in the elements. :(

But hey, I can't complain. At least it's not like I'm in a city and need to fight for a spot on the street. Or parallel park.

Really looks great mate. Congrats. :cheers: Those exhaust tips are absolutely horrid though. :lol:
I wanna leave mine alone. It's always nice to see a nice stock example of an old car, and I feel like soon there won't be many of these left in this kind of condition.

👍

You could take it to car shows too. It is classified as vintage vehicle due the age if I recall right.

That's a really nice Supra. I want your wheels, even though I don't have a car that will fit them....

Thanks! But yea, I love the wheels as well. The only problem with them is that they're virtually impossible to get clean as they trap dirt.

So I had a little *incident* with the Supra this morning. I back out of the garage, and get out to close the garage door as I don't have an opener. So I pull the handbrake and get out, close it, but as I'm steeping over the garage door sensors, I see my Supra is starting TO ROLL DOWN THE DRIVEWAY. Now, we live on a very steep hill, which would be pretty bad if it rolled all the way down. So I BOLT IT to the door (which thank god I left open), running faster than I ever have in my life, quickly jump in and mash the brake. Luckily, it rolled JUST right so that it avoid my moms car and the retaining wall around the driveway... Quite the way to start the morning..

However, luckily the rest of the day went smoothly. Having some fun at Cars and Coffee! :D
image.jpg

And a few at the promenades...
image.jpg

image.jpg

you could always tighten the handbrake a bit just in case, depending of how much of a pain it is.

You mean the cable? I was gonna have a look next time I have it up in the air at work. I don't think it's something that will need to be addressed immediately as it's currently parked on an even steeper hill with no problems.

You mean the cable? I was gonna have a look next time I have it up in the air at work. I don't think it's something that will need to be addressed immediately as it's currently parked on an even steeper hill with no problems.
Whew close call on the hand brake incident!! Usually to tighten the hand brake you do that from inside the car just under the hand brake, depending on the car. There are usually a couple nuts that you tighten, and it adds tension to the cable. Might have to remove center console to get to the adjustment nuts. Again, depending on the car. Just make sure you don't tighten it too much or your hand brake will be on all the time.

I am amazed how clean the body is on your Supra. Looks like it has been very well taken care of and has avoided any winter weather.

Whew close call on the hand brake incident!! Usually to tighten the hand brake you do that from inside the car just under the hand brake, depending on the car. There are usually a couple nuts that you tighten, and it adds tension to the cable. Might have to remove center console to get to the adjustment nuts. Again, depending on the car. Just make sure you don't tighten it too much or your hand brake will be on all the time.

I am amazed how clean the body is on your Supra. Looks like it has been very well taken care of and has avoided any winter weather.

Tell me about it! I honestly think that I didn't pull the brake up quite enough which caused it to roll back. Though depending upon how easy it is I'll check it out. I think I remember taking one out of the one parts cars, and it was a pain from what I remember...

Thanks! The previous owner didn't take very great care of it, however all it took was a little TLC to make it nice again. Asides from the dent from the accident in the front left, the body was pretty solid and was rust free. So it's now getting the proper care it deserves. :)

Slight update: the Supra seems to be trying to kill itself lately... Not really the cars fault, but I just found out the other day that the tires that are currently on it are absolutely HORRID in the rain. I mean just completely useless.

I discovered this while taking a tight turn at maybe 15 MPH, if even that, and when I get back on the throttle the back end decides to let loose. Absolutely no traction at all. This morning while driving in the pouring rain, I was on a slight incline at a stoplight, and when I started to go the back end was wiggling all about while the rear tires just spun. Also had the back end let loose again while going maybe 10 MPH around a turn...

So some new tires are definitely in order. My dad has offered to pay for them since he doesn't really want me driving around with such crappy tires while it's raining...

Back