I'm feeling a bit undecided on what racers other than GT I should look into...PS4 

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 17 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
So I'm not "breaking up" with GT, despite what my recent posts elsewhere on this forum may seem to imply. I think I just needed to vent, so I apologize about being a bit short with everyone. That means you too, PD & SIE, if you're reading this. But I digress - allow me to move on.

I've been thinking of getting a racing game for two other systems: PS4, and iOS. I have essentially made a shortlist of titles I may be interested in getting for each respective system, and what I'd like is to see why I should or shouldn't get a particular one of these titles. I'm mostly counting games that use real cars, whether they're arcade or more sim-like, so games like Formula Fusion, WipEout HD Fury, or Slipstream GX are not being listed here, even if I thoroughly enjoy that genre of racing games as well.

PS4
-GRID (2019 ver., to be released)
-NFS Heat (to be released, and definitely has potential to be the best Ghost-developed NFS so far, but we'll see. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.)
-Project CARS 3 (Hypothetically. Is that gonna be a thing? Maybe on PS5?)
-Overpass (to be released)
-F1 2019
-DiRT Rally 2.0
-Assetto Corsa Competezione (to be released on consoles when development during PC release has reached "ultimate stage")

iOS
-Street Kart Racing (I think Rosberg helped with this game.)
-Project CARS GO (to be released)
-GRID AutoSport (ported from PS3/XB360 era)
-Mario Kart: World Tour (Just listing it here for fun, even if I'm bending my own criteria a bit. Probably gonna be gatcha drek but what do you think? I mean, it is Mario Kart.)

To offer further criteria, I'd prefer it that if there's a bunch of paid content/DLC/pre-order bonuses, that I can nab the overwhelming majority of it between a season pass and/or in-game progression. There are some things, however, that I'd be fine missing, like early access to vehicles you could still get in-game otherwise, or some relatively unremarkable exclusive skins, or pre-tuned vehicles.

So I'm not "breaking up" with GT, despite what my recent posts elsewhere on this forum may seem to imply. I think I just needed to vent, so I apologize about being a bit short with everyone. That means you too, PD & SIE, if you're reading this. But I digress - allow me to move on.

I've been thinking of getting a racing game for two other systems: PS4, and iOS. I have essentially made a shortlist of titles I may be interested in getting for each respective system, and what I'd like is to see why I should or shouldn't get a particular one of these titles. I'm mostly counting games that use real cars, whether they're arcade or more sim-like, so games like Formula Fusion, WipEout HD Fury, or Slipstream GX are not being listed here, even if I thoroughly enjoy that genre of racing games as well.

PS4
-GRID (2019 ver., to be released)
-NFS Heat (to be released, and definitely has potential to be the best Ghost-developed NFS so far, but we'll see. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.)
-Project CARS 3 (Hypothetically. Is that gonna be a thing? Maybe on PS5?)
-Overpass (to be released)
-F1 2019
-DiRT Rally 2.0
-Assetto Corsa Competezione (to be released on consoles when development during PC release has reached "ultimate stage")

iOS
-Street Kart Racing (I think Rosberg helped with this game.)
-Project CARS GO (to be released)
-GRID AutoSport (ported from PS3/XB360 era)
-Mario Kart: World Tour (Just listing it here for fun, even if I'm bending my own criteria a bit. Probably gonna be gatcha drek but what do you think? I mean, it is Mario Kart.)

To offer further criteria, I'd prefer it that if there's a bunch of paid content/DLC/pre-order bonuses, that I can nab the overwhelming majority of it between a season pass and/or in-game progression. There are some things, however, that I'd be fine missing, like early access to vehicles you could still get in-game otherwise, or some relatively unremarkable exclusive skins, or pre-tuned vehicles.
Variety is the spice of life... get them all :D. I'd also add Wreckfest to your list 👍.

And to save a bit of cash, preferably when they're on sale.

Variety is the spice of life... get them all :D.

And to save a bit of cash, preferably when they're on sale.
Ah, but that’s the problem, I don’t think I’d have time. I’m thinking of cutting Mario Kart: World Tour, F1 2019, the iOS port of Grid Autosport, and Assetto Corsa Competezione from the shortlist, haha. The rest do sound quite interesting, though.

I also think that instead of Grid 2019, I may wait for a hypothetical Project CARS 3. But even then, idk.

Edit: Looks like I’ve been hearing some bad things about the DLC model in recent CodeMasters games, too, like F1 2019 and DiRT Rally 2.0, so I’m not too sure about their games.

Last edited:
For DirtR 2.0, I'd wait for the complete edition or a massive sale. You could try Dakar '18 which is immersive as a racing title can get (physics aside). Also WRC 8 which comes next week.

Ah, but that’s the problem, I don’t think I’d have time. I’m thinking of cutting Mario Kart: World Tour, F1 2019, the iOS port of Grid Autosport, and Assetto Corsa Competezione from the shortlist, haha. The rest do sound quite interesting, though.

I also think that instead of Grid 2019, I may wait for a hypothetical Project CARS 3. But even then, idk.

Edit: Looks like I’ve been hearing some bad things about the DLC model in recent CodeMasters games, too, like F1 2019 and DiRT Rally 2.0, so I’m not too sure about their games.
No Assetto Corsa Competizione? It's the best game on your list.

For DirtR 2.0, I'd wait for the complete edition or a massive sale. You could try Dakar '18 which is immersive as a racing title can get (physics aside). Also WRC 8 which comes next week.

I thought Dakar ‘18 got mixed reviews?

Also, maybe I won’t cross off ACC just yet...

AAC, Dirt Rally2 and I'll second wreckfest.
Cant help with the mobile stuff though, sorry.

The original Dirt Rally (Very cheap) and still the best.
WRC 8 loads of content.
PC 2 cause it's got a good Bathurst.
Dakar 18 in case they release a improved 19.
Dirt 4 sorta alright depending on your mood.
Don't forget TT Isle of Man.Bikes but good.

Last edited:
If you like arcade stuff I would suggest Driveclub. A really fun game that still looks great. You will need to pick it up quick as the DLC is disappearing at the end of this month. There is a season pass for most of the extra content.

Wipeout Omega Collection is definitely worth it too.

I don't think it hurts to pick up a racing game that doesn't have real cars. Both Wreckfest and Wipeout Omega Collection (remastered HD Fury + 2048) have been fantastic diversions from FIA races for me, and the Deluxe Edition of the former allows you to get a Season Pass for the upcoming DLC Bugbear is planning to release.

Would also recommend CTR Nitro-Fueled if you want a Mario Kart-style racer that also happens to be a glorious remake of a PS1 classic. PS4 version has an exclusive bonus track and 'retro' skins/karts over other versions, while there is additional content which you can unlock for free through the 'Pit Stop' and seasonal 'Grand Prix' events. But be warned... the online mode isn't perfect, and the game recently introduced microtransactions via an update coinciding with the second Grand Prix.

If there was only a new Ridge Racer title for the PS4, maybe it would have been great...

It wouldn't even have to be new, just a remaster of Ridge Racer 7 and Ridge Racer 2 PSP in 4k HDR (similar to what was done for Wipeout Omega Collection) would be amazing.

It wouldn't even have to be new, just a remaster of Ridge Racer 7 and Ridge Racer 2 PSP in 4k HDR (similar to what was done for Wipeout Omega Collection) would be amazing.
But there's none and unless he's going to play it in older platforms, it's out of the question.

There were reports that a Ridge Racer 8 was being worked on for the Switch, but nothing else has come of it since. Giving RR7 the Omega Collection treatment plus a few extras (vibration, content from the PSP/3DS/Vita incarnations) would go a long way to resuscitating the franchise on PlayStation at least.

Back