Im not an environmental nut but...

  • Thread starter Thread starter ESCUDO 1800hp
  • 38 comments
  • 2,773 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
274
I turn my lights off when I'm not home. I'm all for entertainment, but "Gran Turismo anywhere" is unethical. Yes, It's morally wrong.

Older PS3's use about 200 watts, newer ones around 100 watts or so. "Gran Turismo anywhere" will mean thousands more PS3s on at any given time, and will be designed ONLY in an effort for patching up a botched gametype, B-spec. This really isn't a form of entertainment, it's just a way of acquiring artificial rewards without any sort of accomplishment.
 
Even without "GT anywhere" people will still leave their PS3s on. Mine is running Tsukuba 9hr right now.

If it were up to me I'd move B-spec to a complete online service, running on PD servers. The race results will be downloaded when you switch on the PS3 and then you get your XP/Cr/car tickets.
 
I turn my lights off when I'm not home. I'm all for entertainment, but "Gran Turismo anywhere" is unethical. Yes, It's morally wrong.

Older PS3's use about 200 watts, newer ones around 100 watts or so. "Gran Turismo anywhere" will mean thousands more PS3s on at any given time, and will be designed ONLY in an effort for patching up a botched gametype, B-spec. This really isn't a form of entertainment, it's just a way of acquiring artificial rewards without any sort of accomplishment.

Would have to agree with you.
 
Even without "GT anywhere" people will still leave their PS3s on. Mine is running Tsukuba 9hr right now.

If it were up to me I'd move B-spec to a complete online service, running on PD servers. The race results will be downloaded when you switch on the PS3 and then you get your XP/Cr/car tickets.

Yes I thought this should happen.
 
Even without "GT anywhere" people will still leave their PS3s on. Mine is running Tsukuba 9hr right now.

If it were up to me I'd move B-spec to a complete online service, running on PD servers. The race results will be downloaded when you switch on the PS3 and then you get your XP/Cr/car tickets.

I already moved b-spec to the trash can. and with the only two 24 hours races to do and without being able to save my progress I guess a-spec is going down too
 
Though I agree with you somewhat that they are probably making up for actual content with more B spec BS...

You have to imagine what other actions EVERYONE takes EVERYDAY that effects the environment before saying that a company is being unethical by giving people the option to leave their PS3s running away from home.

And anyways, if completing an event in a video game is an artificial reward, then any other achievement in video games could be looked at the same way. I know I am entertained every time an event can be checked off my list.

So essentially - video games in general are both unethical and not really entertainment.

Sorry if that came out rude, I just am quick to join the devil's advocate bandwagon when someone makes a statement that at it's basest form is a generality that encompasses more than the specific subject they were ranting on in the first place. If you read any of the stories on Foxconn suicides and materials in video game systems being compared to blood diamonds you might have a different view on what video game company actions are unethical.
 
I already moved b-spec to the trash can. and with the only two 24 hours races to do and without being able to save my progress I guess a-spec is going down too

I want to trash B-Spec but it's like:
"I'll try B-spec mode out"
"It's really boring"
"(checks prize car list) Oh crap I almost got the Furai! I saw that on Top Gear and it's sweet."
"Alright almost done with B-spec for good, just want the Zonda R!"

And now I'm at the point where I just want the Toyota 7, and I think I'll be done but I honestly don't know.

If B-spec had no rewards no one would play it, whereas if A-spec had no rewards it would still be great.
 
I hate B-Spec and the news that PD is working on B-Spec anywhere is upsetting because it will add absolutely nothing to GT5 for me. However, I do not see it as unethical. I doubt that a huge number of people will permanently leave their PS3's on just to use the feature, and even if they did, they have they right to. It's no different from someone running B-Spec Lemans for weeks.

Enough people already believe that leaving electronics on is bad by default anyway, and that will probably keep a lot of PS3's from being on forever.
 
GT5 is unethical, now I've heard it all.
 
"Morally wrong"?


*sigh*


That's the worst excuse for a GT5 complaint I've ever heard. I guess instead I'll have to turn off my PS3 and go drive my 6-liter 400+hp V8 with no catalytic converters since GT Anywhere is "morally wrong".
 
I doubt that a huge number of people will permanently leave their PS3's on just to use the feature, and even if they did, they have they right to. It's no different from someone running B-Spec Lemans for weeks.

You're correct, they have the right to use their PS3 any way they choose. Just like I have the right to leave all the lights on in my house on when I'm not home. But I don't, because I have morals.
 
An old PS3 is the equivelant of like 5 light bulbs. Theres things that take up way more power than that, like 900 watt PSUs on computers which most people leave running 24/7. Have to admit the though of GT5 being unethical did make me laugh.
 
But when playing GT Anywhere, I won't have my TV nor Sound System on, therefore I'm using less power playing GT Anywhere than when I am at home, so the more I play away from home, the less power I use, the more ethical it is giving me a +10 to my moral
 
You're correct, they have the right to use their PS3 any way they choose. Just like I have the right to leave all the lights on in my house on when I'm not home. But I don't, because I have morals.

I think you're confused between "morals" and "ideals". You need to work on your definitions, because leaving the lights on in your house has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with morals unless you're stealing the electricity from your neighbor.
 
:banghead:

I feel like it's only a matter of time before this becomes either a B-Spec Bashing Party or an environmentalist flame war.

--------

Anyways, gotta side with Sandy on this one!

An old PS3 is the equivelant of like 5 light bulbs. Theres things that take up way more power than that, like 900 watt PSUs on computers which most people leave running 24/7. Have to admit the though of GT5 being unethical did make me laugh.

There really is no reason to get all worked up over this... ;)
 
With GT Anywhere, will is be possible to control B Spec via a PC and then watch a Blu-Ray on the same PS3, or does the game disc need to be in the console?
 
My definitions aren't confused, it's really how I feel.

unethical- contrary to conscience or morality or law. My conscience tells me "Gran Turismo Anywhere" is wrong, so from my point of view it's unethical.
 
I'm all for conserving energy, but if people want to run their stuff all day....as long as they pay for it - it's none of my business how they chose to spend their money.

On to the B spec bashing....

BS spec IS unethical. :)
 
As far as I'm concerned they should get all of thier b-spec ideas and assets together and.....

67396-delete-key.jpg
 
An old PS3 is the equivalent of like 5 light bulbs. There are things that take up way more power than that, like 900 watt PSUs on computers which most people leave running 24/7. Have to admit the though of GT5 being unethical did make me laugh.

The PSU in a computer does not draw rated wattage all the time. It draws only as much as the system demands. When a home computer is sitting idle, even with a 1,000 watt PSU, it still only draws around 100 watts. Unless you're running SETI@Home or something similar, but even then it won't be drawing full power since the biggest power draw on most PCs today is the graphics card and SETI isn't going to be using that.

Still, I'm with you in the thrust of your comment. Given the number of people who leave the heat set at 74 (Fahrenheit) in the winter or run the A/C all the time in summer, a 100 watt PS3 isn't even a blip on the scale.
 
My definitions aren't confused, it's really how I feel.

unethical- contrary to conscience or morality or law. My conscience tells me "Gran Turismo Anywhere" is wrong, so from my point of view it's unethical.

Then why isn't A-Spec?

Just because people aren't looking at the screen doesn't mean that they are wasting electricity. B-Specing 24hrs a day is no different than A-Specing 24hrs a day. The player is enjoying his game. I don't see what marks a special moral boundary between A and B Spec.

Someone could easily say to you that playing video games is not moral. People have entertained themselves without electricity afterall. Or maybe they'll say it's amoral to use non renewable energy to power entertainment devices. What determines what is moral and what isn't?
 
I'm not green lol whats the opposite of green? :p I drive a fuel demolishing commodore v8 and I have 3x pc network running 24/7 + the ps3 hehe. I don't like this new B spec anywhere crap because of the simple fact that the servers are already overloaded beyond their expectations (can hardly join a room and race anymore)+ they added seasonal events load and now they want to add more online B spec crap.
 
I'm all for entertainment, but "Gran Turismo anywhere" is unethical. Yes, It's morally wrong.
I have a fish tank in my house. It draws far more power than my PS3 does (2x heaters, 2x water filters and 2x bubbler). It is constantly on, for obvious reasons. Therefore, it is immoral for me to have fish.

Back when those big power sucking PS3s were the only ones you could get, there was a pretty popular thing to do with them when you weren't playing games. It was called Folding@Home, and it required the PS3 to be left on constantly, and it pushed the system to its limit constantly (ergo, using more power). Therefore, it was immoral for the people who utilized it to contribute to cancer research.

My house is somewhat on the old side, and it doesn't have the best insulation. Therefore, we have to have the heater on constantly from November 1st to (usually) March 1st. Therefore, it is immoral for me to live in this house.

I can flood this thread with literally dozens of examples, but I'm sure you get the point.

My definitions aren't confused, it's really how I feel.
Which is why it is an ideal rather than a subject of morality. Morals, whether you believe they are absolute or relative, require some kind of reasoning for existing; and the reactionary high-horse environmentalism that you've displayed in this thread does not. My house could be powered by renewable energy for all you know, at which point you would have absolutely zero basis for the claim that you are making.

unethical- contrary to conscience or morality or law. My conscience tells me "Gran Turismo Anywhere" is wrong, so from my point of view it's unethical.
"Unethical" isn't the same thing as "immoral." Your definition even says as much. So yes, your definitions are confused.
 
Last edited:
Blah blah blah the environment is falling apart blah blah blah lets save the planet. Even if the Earth WAS falling to global warming, there's nothing you could do to stop it. Environmentalism sickens me (sorry for ranting)
 
JGW
I'm all for conserving energy, but if people want to run their stuff all day....as long as they pay for it - it's none of my business how they chose to spend their money...
I'm a bit confused by this statement, and SUfan21's comment too...

You can't be "all for something" then not care "as long as..." - the one contradicts the other.

SUfan21's comment is just knee-jerk idiocy - because doing something about it will change things, it's not a fait acomplis - dude, get an education.
 
You can't be "all for something" then not care "as long as..." - the one contradicts the other.
Not really. I can pledge complete support to some cause or ideal, but that doesn't mean I must have the opinion that everyone should feel the same way. Also note that he didn't say he didn't care. He just said that he felt it wasn't any of his business.

What JGW basically said was "I support environmentalism, but I don't harshly judge those who don't."
 
Oh my god, I'm drowning polar bears wasting time on this computer...



AWESOME!
 
I turn my lights off when I'm not home. I'm all for entertainment, but "Gran Turismo anywhere" is unethical. Yes, It's morally wrong.

Older PS3's use about 200 watts, newer ones around 100 watts or so. "Gran Turismo anywhere" will mean thousands more PS3s on at any given time, and will be designed ONLY in an effort for patching up a botched gametype, B-spec. This really isn't a form of entertainment, it's just a way of acquiring artificial rewards without any sort of accomplishment.

Morally wrong for you. Ethically wrong for you. Not for me.
 
I'm going to leave every light and piece of electronics that I own on for a month, just to counteract the OP's environmental efforts.
 
So a ps3 uses about 100 watts, so per hour it uses 0.1kwhrs of electricity. Depending on what you've got in your home, a single light globe can use the same ammount of electricity. But lets put it into more relative terms.

If you leave your ps3 on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, that will be 2.4kwhrs of electricity usage per day.
The average household in my country uses about 20kwhrs of electricity per day. If you think about it in relative terms, it's really not going to do anything. Also, the harsh reality is, that residential emissions/usage don't mean squat. Compare overall residential usage to overall commercial, and commercial dominates, a reduction of 5% of commercial use would equal a reduction of around 50% residential use.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back