I'm sad about GT Sport. For all it intended to do, people still find the exploits.

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals,

I bought GT Sport near enough on release day and have played it practically every day bar one since it came out for around 2 hours a time. Now I'm taking a break from it but it's not that I've got bored at all, but it's because seemingly people have now figured out how to turn the safety rating and time penalty into a weapon. I had a drivers rating of C and have a safety rating of S. Instances like below keep making me ping from rating C/D, I've hit a block.

Yesterday I did the manufacturers race and qualified 2nd, so I was hopeful to at least get a podium spot. Instead I was divebombed within a couple of laps to 12th, and I ended up getting frustrated and not concentrating - all the fun got sucked out with a few peoples racing 'moves'. To add context I was in front in 3 occasions, racing my normal lines and then mid turn a car just appears in front of me having missed the braking point and apex completely however I have no choice but to either brake, ultimately heeding the position or just hit them or go with the flow and hit them, giving me a SR reduction and still likely meaning I give the position away. The first option and the second option are not fair in this instance, having tried both the first one just generally lost a lot of time and the second option hit my SR down AND give a 10 second time penalty?!

Today I've had just a couple of races and my last one before posting this just ended with me being purposely pushed onto the inside of a corner so I lost time from being on on the grass (Kyoto final chicane), safety rating and a time penalty as it technically meant I cut the track.

I'm really hoping PD look at these types of moves as right now the game cannot possibly detect in certain events who was at fault, but I think they need to do more things to polish up how it dishes out time penalties. Gamers do what gamers do best and find exploits in order to win, I just feel this game was trying to create a better public matchmaking environment.

Just thought I was vent my frustration, so apologies! GT Sport is probably the best console racer I've ever played, shame it's let down by it's public players.

They said adjustments were coming down the line with that huge GT Mode patch, I'd wait and see what they have in store for then.

Sorry man but you're racing badly. If someone dive bombs you throttle off and hold your outside line so you can take a reduced impact without incurring an SR penalty. Continuing towards the apex after he dive bombs just makes you culpable for the impact and you'll pit yourself off of the course. Screwing around and trading paint with people makes you go a lot slower than easing off the gas and avoiding idiots. I should know, I got to an SR rating of S while completely hammered and avoiding dangerous sober people.

Personally, in that situation I would throttle off even further since his early apex dive bomb will cause him to swing wide on his exit... so you throttle off, dodge his dive bomb, and then punch the throttle to pass him on the inside while he runs off the course.

Sorry man but you're racing badly. If someone dive bombs you throttle off and hold your outside line so you can take a reduced impact without incurring an SR penalty. Continuing towards the apex after he dive bombs just makes you culpable for the impact and you'll pit yourself off of the course. Screwing around and trading paint with people makes you go a lot slower than easing off the gas and avoiding idiots. I should know, I got to an SR rating of S while completely hammered and avoiding dangerous sober people.

Personally, in that situation I would throttle off even further since his early apex dive bomb will cause him to swing wide on his exit... so you throttle off, dodge his dive bomb, and then punch the throttle to pass him on the inside while he runs off the course.

Sure, now it's your fault if someone divebombs on you. As if you have full awareness when you're racing. And can even foresee the future

Well good news for you.

Update 1.06 content (planned for 27 November 2017)
1. Campaign Mode, Scapes, and the Livery Editor features will become available also when offline. (However, an online connection is still required to save game progress).

2. Some elements of the car physics simulation model have been improved. This can be noticed especially in commercial cars, which exhibit less grip on the road, with improved sense of realism and controllability.

3. In line with the changes above, we have adjusted the difficulty level of the Driving School and Mission Challenges in the Campaign Mode, to allow a smoother game experience.

4. In Sport mode races, the judgement algorithm of the Sportsmanship Rating (SR) has been improved. Furthermore, it is also now possible to see the deductions of SR points not only for yourself, but also for other drivers involved in a collision/incident with your car.

5. ‘Autumn Leaves’ has been added to the featured Scapes photos. Some new photo spots have also been added.

6. The following 3 cars will be added to the game as free DLC:

This is just a stupid reply as you can't always escape. The clean racer punished is just WRONG. In a real life race no-one would get away with such behaviour (severe penalties, car damage...)

In these instances I'm having to expect they'll do something stupid, which means that it doesn't create a good fun experience. The safety rating/time penalty should be there to help negate unfair moves like this, and it did when I first got the game, had so much fun. Now we're a few weeks in and people have figured it out we're now facing people who use it's weaknesses to exploit the person ahead. Now in all fairness, we're playing the same game, we all could do it, but it just doesn't appeal to me and likely no one on this forum.

Hi guys and gals,

I bought GT Sport near enough on release day and have played it practically every day bar one since it came out for around 2 hours a time. Now I'm taking a break from it but it's not that I've got bored at all, but it's because seemingly people have now figured out how to turn the safety rating and time penalty into a weapon. I had a drivers rating of C and have a safety rating of S. Instances like below keep making me ping from rating C/D, I've hit a block.

Yesterday I did the manufacturers race and qualified 2nd, so I was hopeful to at least get a podium spot. Instead I was divebombed within a couple of laps to 12th, and I ended up getting frustrated and not concentrating - all the fun got sucked out with a few peoples racing 'moves'. To add context I was in front in 3 occasions, racing my normal lines and then mid turn a car just appears in front of me having missed the braking point and apex completely however I have no choice but to either brake, ultimately heeding the position or just hit them or go with the flow and hit them, giving me a SR reduction and still likely meaning I give the position away. The first option and the second option are not fair in this instance, having tried both the first one just generally lost a lot of time and the second option hit my SR down AND give a 10 second time penalty?!

Today I've had just a couple of races and my last one before posting this just ended with me being purposely pushed onto the inside of a corner so I lost time from being on on the grass (Kyoto final chicane), safety rating and a time penalty as it technically meant I cut the track.

I'm really hoping PD look at these types of moves as right now the game cannot possibly detect in certain events who was at fault, but I think they need to do more things to polish up how it dishes out time penalties. Gamers do what gamers do best and find exploits in order to win, I just feel this game was trying to create a better public matchmaking environment.

Just thought I was vent my frustration, so apologies! GT Sport is probably the best console racer I've ever played, shame it's let down by it's public players.

There are a few things you need to take into account when driving in front of somebody, this applies even at the highest of skill levels - but is much more prominent at lower skill levels (not just SR, but lower DR as well).

First, people feel entitled to pass, especially lower DR drivers - so they will constantly push there car to the limit trying to make passes.

Second, it is very dangerous to take a normal racing line when somebody is close behind you unless you see they are not going for a pass attempt. Whenever I qualify P1, I will always take a very defensive inside line into the first corner, I will also usually tap my brakes super lightly "brake check" before I begin my braking just so the driver behind me has adequate warning that I'm beginning to slow down.
After that, if somebody is tight on my ass, I make adjustments to my driving style - I may drive slower in the end, but I'm forcing my opponent to take more difficult lines if he wants to pass.

Third, use bumper cam - the rear view mirror is your friend. I cannot explain how many times I've seen a dive bomber coming in at the last second and simply delayed making my turn to see him fly right off the track - eventually you'll be clear of these idiots, but it is sooooooo satisfying when somebody who planned to use the side of your car to slow down suddenly realizes your car isn't where he expected it to be and he slides off the track.

Last, don't let the bad experiences weigh you down too much - there are plenty of good & clean racers out there who are making this community great, try to focus on that.

In fact, a few nights ago on Maggiorre FIA race during the qualifying session on my last flying lap - I was catching the guy in front of me who started the lap about 2-3 seconds ahead - he didn't make any errors, but I guess he saw me catching and he pulled off to the side to let me go by. I was extremely grateful as I hadn't gotten a good flying lap in yet due to traffic and ended up qualifying P1, he probably saw his splits and realized he wasn't running a very good lap combined with me making up the gap and decided to be a great sportsman, but he was not required to do this.

There are plenty of good sportsman, eventually this will become the norm.

Edit: the post before said most of what I was getting at.

There will always be dive bombers and crashers. I agree going into every turn wondering if the guy behind is going to bother using his brake isn’t fun and can be frustrating.

You’re going to have to learn to expect it and drive accordingly.

Use your rear view a lot especially going into high speed braking zones.

Either stay wide and use late apex to let them fly through on the inside or take the inside early, establish your line, and be ready to take a punt if they won’t go outside.

If you see a Beetle in your rear view expect the driver to make an aggressive move to the inside even if there is no space.

If you think a change to the penalty system is going to force inexperienced racers to change how they drive you are dreaming.

I would love it if everyone was a clean racer but the must win mentality is here to stay.

Sure, now it's your fault if someone divebombs on you. As if you have full awareness when you're racing. And can even foresee the future
Are you joking? "As if you have full awareness when you're racing".

This is very telling. If you want to race safely and cleanly, you have to have the radar on and be using your mirror. You are not responsible for getting divebombed, but you ARE responsible for being aware of your surroundings at all times.

I don't understand this attitude where supposedly "super clean" online racers expect they can just run a racing line at speed every lap and expect everyone else to do the same. It's ridiculous. You need to learn how to run in traffic, you need to learn how to have great spacial awareness, and you need to be able to run fast and pass or be passed while at the same time leaving room for the other driver to make a huge error.

Being fast is not just about raw pace, it's about driving as if everyone else is going to mess up and crash, and being able to not put your car in a vulnerable position.

~

Sean R. from a few posts earlier understands this entirely.

A You need to learn how to run in traffic, you need to learn how to have great spacial awareness, and you need to be able to run fast and pass or be passed while at the same time leaving room for the other driver to make a huge error.

Being fast is not just about raw pace, it's about driving as if everyone else is going to mess up and crash, and being able to not put your car in a vulnerable position.

A lot of it is experience. It is very hard for new drivers to be hyper aware when they are still having to look at cones, apex markers etc in order to get their fastest times. That's why I laugh when a lot of these posters started with the "I'm bored with these tracks, we need new tracks" because imo, they probably hadn't learned the ones we have well enough to run flat out in a racing environment without wrecking themselves and others out.

At least from my experiences in the dailies and cup races.

No man. People are not supposed to divebomb.

People aren't supposed to run redlights either, but you still look both ways don't you?

A lot of it is experience. It is very hard for new drivers to be hyper aware when they are still having to look at cones, apex markers etc in order to get their fastest times. That's why I laugh when a lot of these posters started with the "I'm bored with these tracks, we need new tracks" because imo, they probably hadn't learned the ones we have well enough to run flat out in a racing environment without wrecking themselves and others out.

I'm actually a big fan of the few tracks right now, coming from somebody who's really had no experience in sim racing.
I'm almost at DR: A, and I can truthfully say I am fairly comfortable racing a handful of tracks, I'm learning them slowly - but actually really learning them and learning how to take multiple lines through them.

In these instances I'm having to expect they'll do something stupid, which means that it doesn't create a good fun experience. The safety rating/time penalty should be there to help negate unfair moves like this, and it did when I first got the game, had so much fun. Now we're a few weeks in and people have figured it out we're now facing people who use it's weaknesses to exploit the person ahead. Now in all fairness, we're playing the same game, we all could do it, but it just doesn't appeal to me and likely no one on this forum.
It's going to happen, accept it's part of the game and experience, deal with it or don't, and continue to complain. If you're venting it's one thing, but complaining about something that in all fairness might not be able to work any other way is just futile. The more I play the more I realize this and do expect that people will do what they are not supposed to. kinda like real life.

People aren't supposed to run redlights either, but you still look both ways don't you?
Bruh...that last analogy.. Yaas.

Last edited:
It's going to happen, accept it's part of the game and experience, deal with it or don't, and continue to complain. If you're venting it's one thing, but complaining about something that in all fairness might not be able to work any other way is just futile. The more I play the more I realize this and do expect that people will do what they are not supposed to. kinda like real life.

See I'm sad to the fact the safety rating and penalty mechanic can be manipulated fairly easily and I would like to see it improve, but as you touched upon the current system might not be able to do it any other way, however I'm seeing the 'test' seasons that to me are there to collect data and polish these out the best that can be possible for an AI to detect human intentions.

The issue is when you start having to change your racing style to fit the games mechanics, this means you're doing the exact opposite of what they designed the mechanics to achieve. Like I say, I am normally a sim racer and inherently I won't change my style. I don't mind aggressive driving, putting me under pressure and throwing me into different lines. When sim racing this happens, it sometimes wins and sometimes doesn't. My venting frustration here is people don't have to get it right and it still lets you go as if nothing happened; you can shove someone off the track to the inside knowing you'll both receive a SR penalty but also the person on the inside it likely to have a time penalty too. You can dart in front of someone knowing if they hit you they could receive a whopping 10 second penalty.

Ironically the better the safety rating the worst I've come across since ghosting isn't utilized as much. The system is broken as Huzar mentioned, which is a damn shame but isn't something that cannot be worked on.

See I'm sad to the fact the safety rating and penalty mechanic can be manipulated fairly easily and I would like to see it improve, but as you touched upon the current system might not be able to do it any other way, however I'm seeing the 'test' seasons that to me are there to collect data and polish these out the best that can be possible for an AI to detect human intentions.

The issue is when you start having to change your racing style to fit the games mechanics, this means you're doing the exact opposite of what they designed the mechanics to achieve. Like I say, I am normally a sim racer and inherently I won't change my style. I don't mind aggressive driving, putting me under pressure and throwing me into different lines. When sim racing this happens, it sometimes wins and sometimes doesn't. My venting frustration here is people don't have to get it right and it still lets you go as if nothing happened; you can shove someone off the track to the inside knowing you'll both receive a SR penalty but also the person on the inside it likely to have a time penalty too. You can dart in front of someone knowing if they hit you they could receive a whopping 10 second penalty.

Ironically the better the safety rating the worst I've come across since ghosting isn't utilized as much. The system is broken as Huzar mentioned, which is a damn shame but isn't something that cannot be worked on.

See post #6 of your own thread. It is a work in progress.

I hear ya buddy.

Why is it game developers are let off the hook for ****** work unfinished products, where i work people get fired for less.

Unfinished products are so common in the gaming industry that I guess players have become desensitized over it. We live in a world where broken products can now be fixed over the air-waves. It would be much harder to get away with if we still did things PS2-style, but quality control on games back then was pretty shoddy at best.

Does it mean it's the right thing? I'm not sure, but what I do know is that it's nowhere near as bad as when you'd get gypped on a crappy SNES game without reading any reviews because now the negative press companies receive almost force them to change their ways overnight. (Battlefront 2)

Can only hope, as I said, I'm just venting my frustrations. I enjoy GT Sport, but I hate when people go out to ruin the experience so it's the old love/hate.

Remeber this game is geared towards those age 7-77.. :sly: But probably the tiniest precentage actually giving Sport mode a serious go are below like 11 or 12.. so you to know there's a great amount of kids/young adults are behind the wheel sitting on couch on a controller with low knowlege or experience with any simulation game. If you're not using cockpit or bumper view to see exactly what's up behind you will be annoyed forever about surprises from behind no matter what skill level you reach. I know PD has purposely forced the no rear-view mirror on the 'non-realistic' views to make the world of GT'ers have no choice but to use the two views closest to real life.. and I hope that remains. Just try and become a quicker driver to get away from these types.. also as time goes on you have to assume PD staff keeps monitoring driving behaviours and watching replays and figureing out where unrealistic/frustrating situations are happening and have an even more defined penality system algorhithem to make better decisions. 👍

If you split a bad game down the middle..... Disappointment / Frustrating..... left over remaining small good remnants

Battlefront was more Disappointing... yes, I know the credit thing is Frustration, but that's the way the cookie tends to crumble with them types of games... Its not broken, so to speak.

An online Racing game -when taken seriously- has way more highly strung game play(in trying to win a race against others, but being screwed by broken game mechanics and losing)... so Frustration is the main part here... and it's ruining the "serious" part for people.

Quint: When I was a little boy every little squirt wanted to be a harpooner or a sword fisherman. What you got here? A portable shower or a monkey cage?
Hooper: Anti-shark cage.
Quint: Anti-shark cage... You go inside the cage? [Hooper nods.] Cage goes in the water? [Hooper nods.] You go in the water? [Hooper nods.] Shark's in the water? [Hooper nods.] Our shark? [Hooper nods.]
Quint: [he sarcastically sings.] Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again. [Quint laughs and Hooper nods.].

The moral of the above is. Online multiplayer is and always will be an ocean full of malicious man eating sharks, complaining wont help at all. You may find some cool people to swim with but the sharks dont care if you're having fun.
Offline = swim in your own pool (safe but kinda dull)
Online = swim in the ocean (exciting but potentially hazardous)
Different rules are just different kind of shark cages. They will always find a way to get to you.
UNLESS you actually have private member groups you will always have someone trying to up their K/D ratio with your car.

Quint: When I was a little boy every little squirt wanted to be a harpooner or a sword fisherman. What you got here? A portable shower or a monkey cage?
Hooper: Anti-shark cage.
Quint: Anti-shark cage... You go inside the cage? [Hooper nods.] Cage goes in the water? [Hooper nods.] You go in the water? [Hooper nods.] Shark's in the water? [Hooper nods.] Our shark? [Hooper nods.]
Quint: [he sarcastically sings.] Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again. [Quint laughs and Hooper nods.].

The moral of the above is. Online multiplayer is and always will be an ocean full of malicious man eating sharks, complaining wont help at all. You may find some cool people to swim with but the sharks dont care if you're having fun.
Offline = swim in your own pool (safe but kinda dull)
Online = swim in the ocean (exciting but potentially hazardous)
Different rules are just different kind of shark cages. They will always find a way to get to you.
UNLESS you actually have private member groups you will always have someone trying to up their K/D ratio with your car.
PD says you're wrong that complaining won't help at all. They offer the new GT mode as proof.

i forget who posted this video first but it really changed how i approached my driving and i've been able to avoid so many crazy incidences since then. i can literally float through disasters now thanks to this video and it entirely informs my opinion on how to race. in a real race, if there's a crash EVERYONE slows down to assess and drive safely. in GT Sport, everyone thinks they're one of the good guys and when there's a crash everyone is still full throttle and wondering why two cars spun out and hit them

be accountable

You think they developed the GT League mode in the 4 weeks since release? :lol:

Exactly! It was ALWAYS there ready to insert into the game. Either they have been using us as guinea pigs for their 'sport' experiment and deliberately held it back or after a 4 year wait they couldn't make it 4 years and one month to release the complete game.

Back