Imports

• Thread starter Puffy
  • 31,157 comments
Yes indeed,because he represented it as a fact more than a critic.
It is a fact. The car's body & the edge of those wheels (no thanks to the tire stretching already done) are less than an inch apart.

If you wanted to be a dumbass and actually drive a car like that, go for it. I'll be sitting here laughing my ass off though when I hear a pothole just completely decimated your whole suspension & wheels.

I had 3mm between my wheels and rear arches last year. If I had rubbed, I'd scrape up the wheels. The car is waaaaay too stiff for the wheels to even move. Guess it's the same thing with the Civic. Oh, and it's a car built for cali cruising. How many potholes do you think he hits on a yearly basis? Not many, I can tell you that.

Also,

3267749935_5156ec28f3_o.jpg

3268574560_faa0cb5009_o.jpg
This made my penis tingle.

I had 3mm between my wheels and rear arches last year. If I had rubbed, I'd scrape up the wheels. The car is waaaaay too stiff for the wheels to even move. Guess it's the same thing with the Civic.
If that car goes over a hole or a bump, those wheels will move. If he hits a bump, those wheels will grind right into that body. If he hits a hole, those wheels will drop, and then come back up right into the body.
Oh, and it's a car built for cali cruising.
That doesn't mean he's no longer subject to bumps & holes in the road.
How many potholes do you think he hits on a yearly basis? Not many, I can tell you that.
Do you know that for a fact? For all we know, he could be on his 3rd or 4th set of wheels & tires.

Fact is, driving with that setup is asking for a trouble & costly damage.

Reventón;3408762
Do you know that for a fact? For all we know, he could be on his 3rd or 4th set of wheels & tires.

Fact is, driving with that setup is asking for a trouble & costly damage.

Do you know this for a fact? What do you know about his suspension travel?

[QUOTEIf that car goes over a hole or a bump, those wheels will move. If he hits a bump, those wheels will grind right into that body. If he hits a hole, those wheels will drop, and then come back up right into the body.[/QUOTE]

Oh, and with the cali cruiser comment.. Although you aint immune to pot holes, you do whatever you can to avoid them with a car like this.

I wouldn't doubt the guy has spring rates so stiff the wheels really don't move hardly at all. The company I bought from offers 12k/14k spring rates, which is just ridiculous. You can make that even stiffer by turning the dampers all the way up and shortening the spring perch. But I suppose the bottom line is that it's a cruiser/show car, obviously made with Cali-cool as the goal. You do what you can to avoid everything. I'm experiencing that, albeit mildly.

Do you know this for a fact? What do you know about his suspension travel?
I know enough that wheels don't defy gravity. They go over a hole, they aren't going to glide over it. Whether they drop by an inch or 10mm, they will try to fall, no matter how stiff the suspension is. And when they come back in contact with a flat surface, that's when they will come rub. The distance between the edge of those rims & that body are extremely small, probably just a pinky finger's width of clearance.

Last edited:
You typically dodge bumps, I even do it in my car and it's not low at all. It's a habit left over from the Blazer which would lose the front airdam over a big enough bump (I know, it happened). It's not hard to drive a lowered vehicle, you just need to change your driving style. I wouldn't want to use it as a daily though.

I had 3mm between my wheels and rear arches last year. If I had rubbed, I'd scrape up the wheels. The car is waaaaay too stiff for the wheels to even move. Guess it's the same thing with the Civic. Oh, and it's a car built for cali cruising. How many potholes do you think he hits on a yearly basis? Not many, I can tell you that.
What kind of spring rates are you guys running?

I had 10/8kg on my car, I had a finger gap over the tires, rolled fenders and far from flush wheels, and I still rubbed like a mo'fo when really driving hard.

Way too stiff to flex 3mm? The rubber in the bushings deforms at least that much by itself.

I think the problem is driving way too slow for any rubbing to take place.

EDIT: Give me 15 seconds in one of those cars, I'll make it rub.

You typically dodge bumps, I even do it in my car and it's not low at all. It's a habit left over from the Blazer which would lose the front airdam over a big enough bump (I know, it happened). It's not hard to drive a lowered vehicle, you just need to change your driving style. I wouldn't want to use it as a daily though.

It's also a good habit to avoid the big bumps to avoid wheel damage. On beat up roads I'm usually pretty far off line. It makes me feel more confident that I won't bust a wheel or cause any excessive wear on the suspension. Plus the ride is smoother that way. I often dodge even manholes just cause.

Lose the PWJDM sticker and the roofracks and it'd be even sweeter.

3559036662_3bc05f3ebc_b.jpg
That Beaks lower tie bar is quickly becoming a JDM/Ricer status symbol in my eyes. Complete waste of money when it doesn't do what actually needs to be done--reinforce the sway bar mounts. There's a few large braces that do that, and support the entire subframe at the same time, including pieces from Comptech and ASR.

Or you could buy a Beaks because it's gold and says Beaks.

I think I can tell you more about Cali road as I actually LIVE here... And our roads royally SUCK. He will be pretty much safe ONLY on the highways, but once you get into a city your screwed.

I didn't say anything about road quality in Cali, I know the roads suck. Cali cruiser is a way of building a car, rolling low and slow and that's what you do. When you drive it accordingly, you don't hit potholes.. That I know :)

I didn't say anything about road quality in Cali, I know the roads suck. Cali cruiser is a way of building a car, rolling low and slow and that's what you do. When you drive it accordingly, you don't hit potholes.. That I know :)

Except for the fact that your typical California Highway speed isn't slow.

Reventón;3409612
Except for the fact that your typical California Highway speed isn't slow.

You are right, typical California highway speed is stopped more than anything. Especially southern California.

I think I can tell you more about Cali road as I actually LIVE here... And our roads royally SUCK. He will be pretty much safe ONLY on the highways, but once you get into a city your screwed.

There are quite a few roads down in LA that are pretty good. Most of the roads are in pretty good shape compared to the rest of the country. Anywhere that isn't either chewed up by studs or ripped apart by the freeze-thaw cycle is in pretty good shape I'd say.

I was searching for pictures of Toyota Crown coupes (because I think they're awesome) and I came across this

4bcbec2bb67481c57f2cc0b4f0429be1.jpg

Certainly not how I would go about it but it cracks me up

Back