Improved Points System for Drift Trials

• Thread starter uMadson?
  • 0 comments
Philippines
Cebu
SayakaMiki1337
Kawauchi2568
copy-pasted from https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-drift-scene-what-do-you-expect.282192/page-3

This is just wishful thinking but I'm fairly certain that it's possible.

Like you guys, I too am wishing for an organized, systematized, balanced, and hassle-free drift mode. There isn't much to drifting on GT5 tbh, it's just all about points farming. And organized drift events has to be supervised by an assigned official. For GT6, I want an instant drift tournament done through matchmaking and the ability to create proper drift events with the Online Event Builder or whatever it's called. I'm also expecting for Seasonal Events to stay in GT6, especially the drift leaderboards in this case.

I also want to propose a new points system. Rather than the old points system where all you have to do is gather as much points as you can, I'm thinking of adopting something based on D1GP 2013's judging methods. They are using the DOSS system after all, so a virtual counterpart would make sense.

For solo drift, you'll be graded by speed, angle, and line (using GRID's clipping point system should take care of this aspect). The layout gets divided into a number of parts (let's say 5). Each of these parts have their own clipping point, and for each part you'll be scored according to speed, angle and how close you are to the clipping point. The 5 scores will then be added up for your total score.

It's kinda hard to explain, but this video can explain things:

though it is in Japanese, I think you can still get the general idea of the system.

For tandem, each of the two drivers will be judged individually. However, proximity will also affect the scoring - I'm thinking of having three "areas" between the two cars. Between these two is some sort of safe zone that makes the proximity score even. Fall back from it and the leader gets extra points. On the other hand, being very close to the opponent will give the chaser bonus points.

Everything's done "manually" back then during the GT5 days, but if you think about it, creating a new game mode to systematize all of these isn't that hard, is it?

Also, if a room can accomodate 16 players, perhaps we can add a few extra slots, maybe 1 to 3 (or 4 if you're OCD and want it to be 20, lel). These "extra" players will be the official judges and if ever one of the competitors file a protest, these judges who will override the game's decisions accordingly. Of course, this works well for organized events.

PD can either study the DOSS system or use this formula I made on a whim: x+y+(100-z), where x = speed, y = angle in degrees, and z = distance of the car from the clipping point. So let's say that the layout has 3 parts,

part 1: 120 km/h, 30 degrees, 3 cm off clipping point = 120 + 30 + (97) = 247 pts
part 2: 90 km/h, 32 degrees, 1 cm off clipping point = 90 + 32 + (99) = 221 pts
part 3: 100 km/h, 35 degrees, 2 cm off clipping point = 100 + 35 + (98) = 233 pts

total points: 701 pts. We can stop there, or we can use the mean of all 3 parts, so 413/3 = 233.67 pts. I think we should use the mean instead of the total to level the playing field, and the clipping point should have a safe zone of some sort, maybe like +2/-2 cm.

Note that x+y+(100-z) is for the solo runs. For the tandem runs, the formula will be the same, though proximity will be taken in consideration instead of closeness to the clipping point. x+y+z, where x = speed, y = angle, and z = proximity score (given to the leader if the chaser falls away from the safe zone, given to the chaser if close enough to the leader). Here's a sample scenario:

1st run - car A leads, car B chases

car A
part 1: 120 km/h, 30 degrees, proximity score of 1m = 120 + 30 + 1 = 151 pts
part 2: 90 km/h, 32 degrees, proximity score of 0m = 90 + 32 + 0 = 122 pts
part 3: 100 km/h, 35 degrees, proximity score of 2m = 100 + 35 + 2 = 137 pts
final score: 318.67

car B
part 1: 116 km/h, 31 degrees, proximity score of 0 = 116 + 31 + 0 = 147 pts
part 2: 92 km/h, 33 degrees, proximity score of 0 = 92 + 33 + 0 = 125 pts
part 3: 101 km/h, 36 degrees, proximity score of 0 = 101 + 36 + 0 = 137 pts
final score: 317.67

advantage goes to the car A. we may consider it a tie if the difference is too small to warrant a definite advantage.

2nd run - car B leads, car A chases

car A
part 1: 118 km/h, 40 degrees, proximity score of 0m = 118 + 40 + 0 = 158 pts
part 2: 93 km/h, 37 degrees, proximity score of 0m = 93 + 37 + 0 = 130 pts
part 3: 99 km/h, 32 degrees, proximity score of 0m = 99 + 32 + 0 = 131 pts
final score: 331.67

car B
part 1: 114 km/h, 20 degrees, proximity score of 2m = 114 + 20 + 2 = 136 pts
part 2: 90 km/h, 27 degrees, proximity score of 4m = 90 + 27 + 4 = 121 pts
part 3: 93 km/h, 32 degrees, proximity score of 2m = 93 + 32 + 2 = 127 pts
final score: 293.33

car A wins. we can multiply the proximity score to make it a more decisive factor in scoring, though to find the right multiplier would take some trial and error.

What do you guys say?

EDIT: fixed calculations, added formula for tandem runs

though the calculations above aren't perfect, the idea itself is something I, along with many drifters, want to get implemented.

Back