In-Depth GT3 Drifting Guide

• Thread starter Bryan C.
  • 80 comments
Dammit...

Why didn't this thread appear when I did my search?!

Oh well, great guide. Now that I've read it, I'll be able to keep kicking Swift's butt...:cool:

I've got good opposite lock already, just can't seem to link up them corners just yet. I think feinting will be my technique...

J

Dang...it's true. Jazz95 generally owns me. I'm getting better though. We still need to work on our, "Twin Drift"

But at least I can read the stickys that have the list of faqs and other great info on drifting!:D

hey nice work i have just read the guide and i am now off to go attempt drifting for the first time and practice. What about the speeds coming into corners and should the car have alot of horsepower over weight or what????

weltall2
hey nice work i have just read the guide and i am now off to go attempt drifting for the first time and practice. What about the speeds coming into corners and should the car have alot of horsepower over weight or what????

Start with a stock car on sims, and learn good technique.... Then when you are getting the hange of it, add suspension, drivetrain mods, and maybe a few small power mods (muffler, or stage 1 turbo)....

The speed for the corners is something that you just have to figure out through practice, and a lot of trial and error....

;)

silviadrifter
Start with a stock car on sims, and learn good technique.... Then when you are getting the hange of it, add suspension, drivetrain mods, and maybe a few small power mods (muffler, or stage 1 turbo)....

The speed for the corners is something that you just have to figure out through practice, and a lot of trial and error....

;)

yeah thanks, but hey guess what in only two days ive got the hang of drifting and all the rest, the only problems i have is gettin the car at a big enough angle, holding it and then makin a quick exit from the corner. Any suggestions?? :dunce:

weltall2
yeah thanks, but hey guess what in only two days ive got the hang of drifting and all the rest, the only problems i have is gettin the car at a big enough angle, holding it and then makin a quick exit from the corner. Any suggestions?? :dunce:

Well, if you having the problems that you are, then you really don't have the hang of it yet do you? I'm not raggin on you. My problems are/were almost identical.

Bigger angles with FR's generally come from feinting. Holding the drift is all about throttle control and counter steer. Nobody can really "tell" you how to do it. You just have to practice it. Good exiting comes from knowing when to dial out of countersteer. Again a technique that can only be learned with practice.

When I first came to this board, I asked questions and everyone just said practice practice, practice. I didn't want to hear it. But it's true. You just need to practice the feint technique until it's second nature. After that, everything else will come into place much easier. 👍

Swift
Well, if you having the problems that you are, then you really don't have the hang of it yet do you? I'm not raggin on you. My problems are/were almost identical.

Bigger angles with FR's generally come from feinting. Holding the drift is all about throttle control and counter steer. Nobody can really "tell" you how to do it. You just have to practice it. Good exiting comes from knowing when to dial out of countersteer. Again a technique that can only be learned with practice.

When I first came to this board, I asked questions and everyone just said practice practice, practice. I didn't want to hear it. But it's true. You just need to practice the feint technique until it's second nature. After that, everything else will come into place much easier. 👍

Very nice, Swift... Good answer.... You are excelling quite fast in drift knowledge, and skill..... Keep it up. 👍

Feint isn't the only way to get big angles, but it is one of the most aesthetically pleasing techniques to get a car sideways before a turn..... Then, like Swift said, It's all about throttle and countersteer control.... You need to trace the turn with your front wheels (holding your countersteer where needed), and use the throttle to control the speed and angle (blipping the throttle if necessary. Meaning, you don't have to hold the throttle steady like the countersteer)..... Learning how to control the throttle and countersteer (for a smooth drift) can only be achieved through a lot of trial and error.....

Practice, Practice, Practice.....

;)

i got 1 question. is this faster than normal driving and wont this hurt my tires a lot? and idealy what is this type of racing used for? long course or short course? thanx

insanexnite
i got 1 question. is this faster than normal driving and wont this hurt my tires a lot? and idealy what is this type of racing used for? long course or short course? thanx
depends if your drifting for show or for race

nightkids4ever
depends if your drifting for show or for race

yes that is true, if you use drifting for racing then you would work on your techneque and conserve your tires, if for show...then you could care less lol less traction the more fun

i find power oversteer more useful in gt3rally, but it has its uses, such as helping to bring the nose in quick towards the apex - i think i get what your saying, it just doesnt feel right sometimes...

void074
i find power oversteer more useful in gt3rally, but it has its uses, such as helping to bring the nose in quick towards the apex - i think i get what your saying, it just doesnt feel right sometimes...

i try the power over style to sometiems not work in turns every so often, by the rear end going out to far feels liek the rear end leads the car more than the nose...

wow great guide. i've been drifting for about a year now and that thing opened my eyes quite a bit, especially with the clutch. but im going to have to leave now, all this talk about drfting has gotten me drift-horny. bye!

I've been slapped by public secrecy! :dunce:

I've been drifting in a number of games for years now (Tokyo Xtreme Racer series, Sega GT (dreamcast) PGR/PGR2) but I've only RECENTLY attempted drifting in GT3. I have to say that guides like this are helping me develop my skills quite a bit faster than I had anticipated!

With all the depth that GT3 brings to new drifters, it's easy to get engulfed by confusion and that overwhelming and looming shadow of doubt in yourself and your settings.

Heck, when I first saw Mr. Heitkotter's Dorifto videos, I had NO IDEA he was on sim tires. I tried forever to get his power-through settings, using sport tires, only to realize he ISN'T using a power-through setup because on sim tires you don't need to force the car to lose traction as hard!

:dunce:

Bravo, this guide is wonderful. Thanks for helping out a clueless GT3 drifter! ^_^

TenTen-san
I've been slapped by public secrecy! :dunce:

I've been drifting in a number of games for years now (Tokyo Xtreme Racer series, Sega GT (dreamcast) PGR/PGR2) but I've only RECENTLY attempted drifting in GT3. I have to say that guides like this are helping me develop my skills quite a bit faster than I had anticipated!

With all the depth that GT3 brings to new drifters, it's easy to get engulfed by confusion and that overwhelming and looming shadow of doubt in yourself and your settings.

Heck, when I first saw Mr. Heitkotter's Dorifto videos, I had NO IDEA he was on sim tires. I tried forever to get his power-through settings, using sport tires, only to realize he ISN'T using a power-through setup because on sim tires you don't need to force the car to lose traction as hard!

:dunce:

Bravo, this guide is wonderful. Thanks for helping out a clueless GT3 drifter! ^_^
Welcome to GTP and he is usings SIMs

Why thank you! My stay so far has been quite pleasant. ^_^

I've recently restarted my GT3 file due to memory card failure, and I've inadvertantly filled it with drifters! My prize total so far is around 3.5 mill, and I own around 12 cars...none of which are really over 400hp. ^^;

This guide and Mr. Heitkotter's GT3 drift guide (found HERE, which includes his FC3's settings) have really helped me build a great solid base for drifting in GT3. ^_^

this forum is just too big for me to search right now......can someone just answer my few questions??
1) on a drift set-up, you get stage 1, 2, and 3 light-weight upgrade right??
2) is this a good tire set-up.....super soft on the front, and sim or slick on the rear??
3) what car can you have the most fun with?? i see most ppl use the impreza
4) do you set the gear ratio 'wide' or 'sports'
5) do you guys put the spring on the stiffest rate??

i'd really appreciate it if someone/ppl would give me their opinions......thanks

jamaican
this forum is just too big for me to search right now......can someone just answer my few questions??
1) on a drift set-up, you get stage 1, 2, and 3 light-weight upgrade right??
2) is this a good tire set-up.....super soft on the front, and sim or slick on the rear??
3) what car can you have the most fun with?? i see most ppl use the impreza
4) do you set the gear ratio 'wide' or 'sports'
5) do you guys put the spring on the stiffest rate??

i'd really appreciate it if someone/ppl would give me their opinions......thanks

1) yes, DR would tell you all 3, I might tell you to go with your gut. I think all 3 disrupts the balance on some cars.

2)no thats about as bad as it gets. just use sims! front and back! using super soft on the front with some slippery things on the ass-end will cause the thing to whip around the instant you try any countersteering. bad idea

3)actually, i think the silvias and rx7's are the most popular platforms. But any FR, AWD, MR - even a few assdragging FF's are used - they all work, next question please

4)ah, now this question is a bit more intersting.
sports is generally preferred, we're not out to set any landspeed records.
A sports setting will cause it to bog down less in corners, as less work is demanded from the engine in this setting. So hitting the gas is more likely to cause wheelspin.

~TankSpanker the engineering student crashes onto the scene
its the fundamental law of gearing at work
gears are a kind of funny thing, and i can explain them to you better if you wish (just pm me, i dont need to bore everyone else reading this thread).
To put it in a nutshell, shorter gears have a greater angular velocity than taller gears do at any given RPM. The ratio of angular velocities is proportional to the ratio of the diameters.

What this means, is that the engine (we'll call it the driver gear) must work harder to rotate a short driven gear one rotation than to rotate a tall one. A tall driven gear is easier to rotate, but in order to attain the same angular velocity as a shorter driven gear, the driver gear must spin faster.
Thats why your RPM's drop as you shift up a gear, or increase by shifting down. If you think about it, it does make sense.

Or, maybe think about about riding your bike. The tall gears are easy to pedal, and will get you to a given speed faster than a shorter gear will, but it requires more revolutions of the pedals (or more pumps of your legs).
When you shift up a gear (to a smaller sprocket) there is a noticeable increase in the power required from your legs to accelerate ahead, correct? But once you do get cruising along, you can go much faster in that gear, than in a taller one.

This greater angular velocity of the shorter gear is transferred through the car's drivetrain until it eventually makes its way to the wheels (although it will be played around with by the differential, but we'll ignore that for simplicites sake). So shorter gears will give you more topspeed, taller gears will give you more acceleration. And GT3 calls the tall gears a 'sports' setting.

ok, i think i've beat this one to death long enough
...NEXT!

5)I run the stiffest springs I can, without getting the car hopping along the track. But this is more about personal preference imo

anything else? :sly:

Back