Incompetent software engineers

United States
Hermiston
djwww98
It happened again. Counting down to matching, gets to zero, and... error. Sorry, no race for you. Have to restart the PS4. Do I want to describe the error and send you a report? No. I'm not getting paid to be your beta tester. In fact, who at Sony, or PD, or whoever these scam artists are do I get my money back from? When did software engineers decide it was ok to sell product to consumers that doesn't work? When did consumers decide this was acceptable behavior?

TBH, software bugs have happened for YEARS. Just nowadays devs get a chance to collect error reports from users to rectify them in future updates..

Unless, of course, you don't want to provide error reports for some unknown reason, would rather live with the bugs and would more than happily create a complaint thread instead.

#JustMy2Cents

This happened to me AFTER the 2110(UK time) FIA manufacturer race last night, I was frightened my result wasn't logged and kept trying to reconnect for two hours.... Luckily my result was logged. Didn't want to lose a 3rd place....

TBH, software bugs have happened for YEARS. Just nowadays devs get a chance to collect error reports from users to rectify them in future updates..

Unless, of course, you don't want to provide error reports for some unknown reason, would rather live with the bugs and would more than happily create a complaint thread instead.

#JustMy2Cents

There was a time when devs had to make sure their games were bug-free on release day to the degree that they at least functioned properly. There was no option to patch them. Now there’s no denying that games are far far more complicated today. However, you have to wonder if the ability to patch games post-release saved gaming (by allowing the games to get so complex and thus deeper and more realistic) or instead if it allowed devs to be lazy and not find ways to make sure things worked before release since they can just put it out there and fix it later...

I can't remember what I used to type, but if the load failed after 15 minutes it was normally possible to type run setup or something and the game would come up.

I think the OP is lucky, crashing before matchmaking completes sounds a lot nicer than the one crash I had - during race warmup :(
Or the few disconnected from network I've had at pre race screen when I've got pole :crazy:

I remember the days of loading a game from a cassette tape, to get 99% of the way complete, only to then encounter an error and having to load the game again (wasting who knows how much time) :banghead:

Those were the days.

oLJDM1z.gif

There was a time when devs had to make sure their games were bug-free on release day to the degree that they at least functioned properly.

I disagree. There are game-breaking bugs in almost ALL games released. Period. Some are easier to find than others, some are more frequent than others, but there was never a time when devs had to make sure their games were bug free...

I get your point on games being more complex, but it's just a law of averages. More lines of code = more bugs. Simple as that. More interactions between lines of code = more glitches.

The OPs bug isn't very widespread, so it would almost give the impression that the issue doesn't lie with the code and lies more with the hardware/ connection or some other external factor.

There was a time when devs had to make sure their games were bug-free on release day to the degree that they at least functioned properly. There was no option to patch them. Now there’s no denying that games are far far more complicated today. However, you have to wonder if the ability to patch games post-release saved gaming (by allowing the games to get so complex and thus deeper and more realistic) or instead if it allowed devs to be lazy and not find ways to make sure things worked before release since they can just put it out there and fix it later...
Hahahah “bug free”!

Hahahah “bug free”!

To be accurate, I said bug free to a degree that they at least functioned properly. There were always bugs, obviously. But if the game wouldn't meet a certain level of functionality they would have to be returned physically. It sure seemed to me over the years that the number of really serious bugs that badly impacted game play increased a lot when it became possible to patch the games post-release...

I mean think of it from the perspective of the game dev - if your company has a big release set for a specific date and you need to get the game out to start generating dollars for the company but you know there is a serious bug in the code, are you going to delay the release or just patch it later?

To be accurate, I said bug free to a degree that they at least functioned properly. There were always bugs, obviously. But if the game wouldn't meet a certain level of functionality they would have to be returned physically. It sure seemed to me over the years that the number of really serious bugs that badly impacted game play increased a lot when it became possible to patch the games post-release...

I mean think of it from the perspective of the game dev - if your company has a big release set for a specific date and you need to get the game out to start generating dollars for the company but you know there is a serious bug in the code, are you going to delay the release or just patch it later?

You called game devs lazy, then said they can “just patch it later”.

Maybe you’re right, or... maybe it’s a really complex job in which now devs have the possibility of taking more risks and trying new things, because they are not gonna bankrupt the studio if something goes wrong. The diversity of features and even the diversity of different implementations for the same feature between games is incredible. I’ll take that before stability and a “bug free” game in day 1.

Imagine BoP without patches. Day one OP car is the OP car for 5 years!

You called game devs lazy, then said they can “just patch it later”.

Maybe you’re right, or... maybe it’s a really complex job in which now devs have the possibility of taking more risks and trying new things, because they are not gonna bankrupt the studio if something goes wrong. The diversity of features and even the diversity of different implementations for the same feature between games is incredible. I’ll take that before stability and a “bug free” game in day 1.
Even now nearly every game has a day 1 patch. Just the world we live in.

Well, this problem is not unique to GT or PD whatsoever every game released has had a bug or two in it since forever. It could be anything from a connection issue to maybe there's a latency in someone else's connection that screwed the matching.

I remember the days of loading a game from a cassette tape, to get 99% of the way complete, only to then encounter an error and having to load the game again (wasting who knows how much time) :banghead:

Not to mention the annoyingly repetitive music whilst you waited, watching each percent go by with as much excitement as the last

Not to mention the annoyingly repetitive music whilst you waited, watching each percent go by with as much excitement as the last
So similar to nowadays. Except that now you download a digital title on ps4, think its ready, but its only downloaded 10gb and part of the game is only playable.

Since downloadable updates and tighter game schedule releases became a thing

Actually, if we're being fair, these sorts of rare glitches have existed since far before connected gaming was widespread.

It's just that, back then, when gamers found a glitch, there was nothing devs could do to remedy them.

I've had this happen once or twice since the beta started almost a year ago. Was it annoying? Yep. Is GT unique in this regard? Nope. Is it acceptable, and does it warrant labeling an entire team as "scam artists"? That's up to each individual, but I'd say yes and no, respectively. A pre-race hang-up is a rare thing — at least for me, at something like 200 Sport Mode races.

I replayed Destroy All Humans this past weekend (side note: easy Platinum for those so inclined). It crashed to the main PS4 menu no less than eight times in the course of three days. And that's a game with zero online.

Like @Nando deBem said, online racing in particular is likely no simple development task. Hiccups can and do happen — I can't think of a single title in the genre where they don't.

QA'ing anything to do with multiplayer is a magnitude harder.

The thing that has to be solved though is fixing the data corruption of save games. We've seen quite a few people here (extrapolated to the wider audience, must be a lot of people) have their entire progress destroyed because PD hasn't done enough testing to save files properly. This is a basic programming task, it's a solved problem, and you can write many tests to check for this corruption and to verify the integrity of the save file before blowing away the old one.

So similar to nowadays. Except that now you download a digital title on ps4, think its ready, but its only downloaded 10gb and part of the game is only playable.

I didn't realise people actually downloaded digital titles for 10% more than high street retail price. I just assumed that was a software coding error.

The world is becoming far too eco-friendly!

This is 200% false . You obviously don't retro game. Old games had serious bugs that made the game unbeatable . Jak X shipped with a bug that would wipe your entire memory card ..

Back