Inconsistent physics in Sport mode.

• Thread starter Kirkus04
  • 13 comments
Australia
Adelaide
Kirkus04
So I've been playing a bit of that Alsace Village N300 Audi TT event today. Its a new track for me, so I've spent a bit more time in qualifying that what I normally would for a race. I've been able to clock my time down to 2:21's and 2:22's steadily, and I've got a pretty good understanding where the cars limits are in relation to turning, throttle control and braking points. In the race I naturally clock slightly faster times, but I cant help but notice that the physics feel different?

Is this just me? Has anyone else experienced similar behaviour?

Yeah I’ve noticed it. But then again this is normal by PD standards. It happened in GT5 and 6 too. «Simplified physics» if you will.

You have other factors during a race that you don't get solo, drafting for example. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but in previous GT games doesn't it start you out with warm tires for qualifying sessions and give you cold tires at the start of a race?

But suspension loads aren’t the same as demonstrated by inconsistent sustained mph speeds around the same corners off/on line. Alsace, first corner, 60mph at the apex, online. Easily sustained at 70mph offline. Not to mention the understeer encountered at corners where full throttle understeer was not encountered before upon exit.

But suspension loads aren’t the same as demonstrated by inconsistent sustained mph speeds around the same corners off/on line. Alsace, first corner, 60mph at the apex, online. Easily sustained at 70mph offline. Not to mention the understeer encountered at corners where full throttle understeer was not encountered before upon exit.
Did you check your tire compounds and tune? Others have reported an issue with the wrong tire compounds when entering a race.

Word of advice: I don't know, if someone had this before, but if you take part in a Sport-race where the car is not from your garage, like today's Audi TT at Alsace, and the tyres are not the default ones (i.e. SS, not SH for the Audi TT), then every time you enter the track in qualifying or warm-up, the game is going to notify you of the fact that the tyres are changed (in this case to SS).

But here's the catch: if you are already qualified, and you just enter the race without warm-up, the tyres are not set to SS! You are going to start the race with SH and will have a really frustrating race after you wonder why the grip is gone.
Courtesy of @snowgt
This might deserve a thread of it's own so it gets noticed.

I appreciate that heads up! By default, I always enter warm up lap and race until the timer finishes out. Didn’t know I was doing it right... lol. I just did it to get as much seat time as possible and to feel out the crowd I’m racing with. (You can spot the group prick in as little as three corners!)

I qualified with a low 2:19 and actually matched my fastest time in the race exactly to the thousandth on the second lap :D

I haven't noticed any difference in physics. I always do the warm-up so maybe that affects something?

Did you check your tire compounds and tune? Others have reported an issue with the wrong tire compounds when entering a race.

Courtesy of @snowgt
This might deserve a thread of it's own so it gets noticed.

Has the warm-up thing been tested? Seems like a big deal. I don't want to try it personally though (don't want to lose :embarrassed:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching my TTS replay yesterday i noticed the suspension is set to very soft. Theres a lot of weight transfer going on. Good example is accelerating out of a corner while turning. Car leans heavily to outside back tyre. Id say theres excessive amount of body roll vs reality.

I also have a feeling theres often less traction in a race vs qualifying. Using same brake markers early in the race leads to late braking. This might be due to tire temp, fuel load, draft or just forced by pd. Then again it would make sense to have a qualifying setup different from the race setup.

Has the warm-up thing been tested? Seems like a big deal. I don't want to try it personally though (don't want to lose :embarrassed:)

Warm-up was definetely big factor in first few corners during the closed beta. Dont think that has changed. (havent tested though)

Last edited:
Warm-up lap theory is interesting, but brake points were still significantly further back 1 lap into the race. Even when leading the race (not affected by slipstream) i'd still have to adjust my brake point so I wouldn't over commit.

I get tyre temps, and wear, and I love the mechanic, actually I wish it would be turned on for ALL races along with fuel depletion. But the Alsace Village event had no tyre wear, and gave no feeling of cold vs warm tyres.

If the races switch daily, I could see this becoming a bit of an issue for drivers, there's no real consistency between race/warmup/qualifying and nowhere near enough time for climatization.

Last edited:
Tire wear and fuel load comes into play during the race as well.
Not for this N300 Audi TTS race, no fuel usage and tyre wear for it.

Drafting *should* be the only reason you could run faster in the race than in qualifying.

Don't have much Sport experience yet (4 races under my belt so far), but I haven't notice any inconsistencies with the physics. Driving with ABS on weak and TC on 0-1 depending on the car, other aids off.

What really concerns me right now is, that in 3 races in Suzuka (one after each other) I had 3 different griplevels in-race.
1st was bad, 2nd one was ok, and in the 3rd race it was a total mess like driving on ice...
Anybody else noticed that?
Also the feeling on the T300 was different each time....

(ABS on default, TC 0-2 (depends), all other OFF))

Back