Indianopolis Speedway - GT 5 TT vs IRACING

• Thread starter jakubala
  • 40 comments
You are wrong though, the layout in the Academy demo is still correct, the MotoGP drives the track in the opposite direction plus a couple of more corners, the F1 layout is exactly like in the GT5 demo.

EDIT: The only thing thats different in iRacing is the chicane at the end and i dont know if they ever changed it.

2:09 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTv9TgOC4l8

edit: not trying to say the GT5 demo one isnt correct, it is for the old F1 track which is no longer there. And iRacing is correct for the current road course that is at IMS. This is talking about 7,8,9 on the moto gp track and 8,9,10 on the old F1 track.

Yes but the corners added to the motoGP track are not shown in the GT5 TT, this means that it was modeled on the old layout. So although it is the correct "layout" for F1, the track is not the current one. (Also the chicane is different)
Not "also" the chicane is different, only the chicane is different, im only talking about the track where youre driving on. The new added MotoGP section (which isnt in the GT5 demo, yes) wasnt used in that iRacing video. I just had no proof that they also changed the chicane on the F1 curcuit until this:
2:09 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTv9TgOC4l8

edit: not trying to say the GT5 demo one isnt correct, it is for the old F1 track which is no longer there. And iRacing is correct for the current road course that is at IMS. This is talking about 7,8,9 on the moto gp track and 8,9,10 on the old F1 track.

Thank you, you can see the new chicane there too. 👍

Lol yea turn 9 is way off of the real thing...

If you by "the real thing", mean the old, obsolete, not existing track layout of yesterdays you are correct...

Let me draw you a picture or two...

Wikipedia
A modern infield road course was constructed between 1998 and 2000, incorporating the western and southern portions of the oval (including the southwest turn) to create a 2.605-mile (4.192 km) track. In 2008, the road course was modified to replace the southwest turn with an additional infield section, for motorcycle use, resulting in a 2.621-mile (4.218 km) course

Old track layout as in GT5:TT.

Current track layout as in iRacing.

In order NOT to offend the fanboys I feel obliged to state: "The track in GT5:TT is of course more realistic since it is an artistic impression and not laser scanned like the track in iRacing"

Here's the Google Maps satellite scan.

iRacing has the current version, GT 5 does not. In addition the road surface will be accurate to the centimeter from iRacing's laser scanning.

It makes a huge difference when you feel the subtle changes in bumps, elevation, banking, camber changes etc. You can't see that in a video, you'd have to feel that in iRacing.

You can look at the satellite scan from Google Maps and end the speculation on track accuracy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

The iRacing version of Indianapolis is accurate. It's running the new-ish MotoGP layout (with the turns 9-10 hairpins removed) in reverse and running the banked curve rather than the new turns 1-4. This iRacing screenshot clearly shows the new section used by the MotoGP circus.

That picture is Turn 1 of the oval; the 9/10 complex in question is directly behind the museum on Hulman Blvd, effectively inset by about 1/8 mi from the short chute between Turns 1 & 2 of the oval. Thus, not the same turns. At all.

Again, I just walked it 2 weeks ago. For the 1000th time. iRacing's sim is a lot tighter than what is there now and a lot more open than the F1 hairpin from the Google sat photo I posted above and again HERE.

Just to add one small sidenote to this comparing... that guy who is running iRacing, has many graphical options disabled. Atleast 'advanced shadows' and 'full track details'. (no shadows in cockpit, no peoples standing, no small details anywhere)

That said, only what you can compare is which layout you like more. :D

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed some shadows. Not sure if they are 'advanced', but anyway some shadows yes. :)

Here is link to Florian Godards YouTube-channel. He edits great reviews about iRacings Pro Series, and those videos gives good sight how iRacing looks with maxed graphic settings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLoU-b8HPNg

Last edited:
That picture is Turn 1 of the oval; the 9/10 complex in question is directly behind the museum on Hulman Blvd, effectively inset by about 1/8 mi from the short chute between Turns 1 & 2 of the oval. Thus, not the same turns. At all.
I realise that, I was just pointing it out as further proof that the iRacing version is the updated layout and not just a dodgy job at the previous layout which some people thought. ;)

I realise that, I was just pointing it out as further proof that the iRacing version is the updated layout and not just a dodgy job at the previous layout which some people thought. ;)

Ok cool, my bad. I misread. 👍

Came back to post a because I found this article (PDF from the Downloads box on the Lightning Lap feature) on C/D's website. They were referring to their multi-day experience @ VIR & the iRacing version of the same track:
"We were impressed; it recalled track nuances we'd forgotten, although we did find portions of VIR between sectors three and four to be slightly different in reality."

So it isn't without precedence that particular sim has some variance in its track modeling. Not knocking it (it sounds cool), just seeing a pattern.

Many people have moaned about the unimpressive looks of GT 5 Indianopolis but from my perspective it looks at least as good even beter and less "boring" than IRACING version.

I must be the only one who prefers the iRacing graphics then. It looks like the real thing the light isn't artificial, racing line is there, whereas GT5 TT has an artificial, typical console look to it.

EDIT: See below comparison between iRacing and the real life

http://www.forcefeedback.com.br/?p=793

Last edited:
Back