Initial ideas to improve Sportsmanship Rating

• Thread starter ChaseHQ
  • 47 comments
ChaseHQ
Ok so we all know GT Sport has shunned the career mode in favour of online Sports mode which i must say I'm having a blast with (now that I'm an 'A' rated sportsmanship driver that is), but before then I've been all the way down to Hades that is more commonly known as the 'E' rated class & if you're down there with all the other 'sinners' it's not exactly easy to crawl back out of that hell hole! I have a few idea's that would think would make things better as the actual concept behind sportsmanship is great & would be ideal if implemented properly...

1. (This is my main gripe & probably most other peoples) GETTING HIT FROM BEHIND SHOULDN'T INCUR A PENALTY. There will still be people that slam on to force an accident (in the lower levels) but I'm sure this will not overshadow people getting hit from behind.

2. Minor contact should have a lower penalty than major contact.

3. If you incur a penalty your vehicle should be automatically slowed & ghosted until the set penalty time limit is over.

4. I think it would help if there was incentive to work towards with a higher reward for a higher sportsmanship rating. For example after a week if a "B" rated driver got a special paint chip, "A" rated driver got some unique alloys & an "S" rated driver got a unique car, all the items only available through having a decent Sportsmanship rating.

5. On tracks like the Oval Ring reduce the amount of cars on track as 24 cars on a 15 second lap course is ludicrous to say the least, its basically pinball with cars at the moment...

If you have any idea's please post below... 💡

After talking with @Scaff about PCars2 penalty system, I think that should be introduced at SR/DR A so that people can game it, to a point.

Also, regarding being hit from behind, I think it has some value as otherwise you could break check someone into penalties. Break checking is like one of the worst things you can do, so while being rear ended is frustrating, I can see why both get penalties.

After talking with @Scaff about PCars2 penalty system, I think that should be introduced at SR/DR A so that people can game it, to a point.

Also, regarding being hit from behind, I think it has some value as otherwise you could break check someone into penalties. Break checking is like one of the worst things you can do, so while being rear ended is frustrating, I can see why both get penalties.
But Lewis Hamilton can brake check and get away with it, and he's in GT Sport. So why not us?

5. On tracks like the Oval Ring reduce the amount of cars on track as 24 cars on a 15 second lap course is ludicrous to say the least, its basically pinball with cars at the moment...

Just don't sign up for that stupid event. I hope that participation rates for that event drop significantly, PD looks at the statistics, and that they'll realize that those events are dumb and unpopular.

Just don't sign up for that stupid event. I hope that participation rates for that event drop significantly, PD looks at the statistics, and that they'll realize that those events are dumb and unpopular.
They spent months looking at those stats in the closed beta, which was no different with most of the oval and Tokyo races being crash fests.

All the data to know how they would turn out (and how easy it is to abuse the penalty system for those who want to) has been in PDs hands for months.

I actually suspect that for many, the ease of ovals in a GT3 car, and the 'excitement' of the crashing is a major draw. The penalty system has been designed in such a way that it needs players to meet the system half way and not abuse it. Something that clearly isn't happening, I suspect because many have little interest or knowledge of real world Motorsport combined with a lack of real punishment any place in the system.

You can drive like a total dick and the very worse that can happen is that a letter changes. You will never get a drive through or a DQ, you will still get milage, XP, etc at the end of the race, and you may well even see you DR increase.

Hell it's even possible to get your SR to increase, as long as you spend slightly less time being a dick than you do without contact.

It's currently a flawed system that minimises the censure for poor driving and does little within itself to better reward clean driving. I'm of the personal view that the clean driving you see in races is more a factor of the players themselves wanting to be clean than anything the system is encouraging.

Citation please.
Also not sure of the relevance to it in regards to SR mechanism in the current game. And how that would even work from a technical and logistical perspective.

Also not sure of the relevance to it in regards to SR mechanism in the current game. And how that would even work from a technical and logistical perspective.
The final few tiers of events may well be marshalled (which would make it no different to any other racing esports championship that has run over the last few years), however every round?

That I'm going to need a source for, given the number of races that will be taking place.

Ok so we all know GT Sport has shunned the career mode in favour of online Sports mode which i must say I'm having a blast with (now that I'm an 'A' rated sportsmanship driver that is), but before then I've been all the way down to Hades that is more commonly known as the 'E' rated class & if you're down there with all the other 'sinners' it's not exactly easy to crawl back out of that hell hole! I have a few idea's that would think would make things better as the actual concept behind sportsmanship is great & would be ideal if implemented properly...

1. (This is my main gripe & probably most other peoples) GETTING HIT FROM BEHIND SHOULDN'T INCUR A PENALTY. There will still be people that slam on to force an accident (in the lower levels) but I'm sure this will not overshadow people getting hit from behind.

4. I think it would help if there was incentive to work towards with a higher reward for a higher sportsmanship rating.

Don’t agree with (1). Being hit from behind is not an automatic fault of the person behind.

There are plenty of people driving erratically, losing control of their car or cutting off faster drivers.

As for (4) this will just encourage people to avoid getting into situations where they might touch another Car. Nothing wrong with that you might say, except that racing is always about putting yourself in a situation where you might contact another Car.

Passing requires both drivers to follow the rules - being hit during a pass is a fault in one or both of the drivers. The driver in front is not always free of blame.

Citation please.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...urismo-sport-sony-real-virtual-racing-esports

Fourth paragraph:
"Additionally, while an automated system will referee the daily events, key regional meetings will benefit from human race stewards, culminating in the finals being officiated by FIA Formula One Race Director Charlie Whiting – the man who effectively runs F1 races, safety checking cars and enforcing FIA rules. Furthermore, the winners of the GT finals will be awarded at the governing body’s annual ceremony in Paris."

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...urismo-sport-sony-real-virtual-racing-esports

Fourth paragraph:
"Additionally, while an automated system will referee the daily events, key regional meetings will benefit from human race stewards, culminating in the finals being officiated by FIA Formula One Race Director Charlie Whiting – the man who effectively runs F1 races, safety checking cars and enforcing FIA rules. Furthermore, the winners of the GT finals will be awarded at the governing body’s annual ceremony in Paris."
So as I said the final tiers of events will be, but the bulk of them will not (and with the exception of the finals, no different to the othe rmajor racing esport series - and that only differs in regard to who the person is).

Not all of the FIA events, as your post implied.

So as I said the final tiers of events will be, but the bulk of them will not (and with the exception of the finals, no different to the othe rmajor racing esport series - and that only differs in regard to who the person is).

Not all of the FIA events, as your post implied.

Yeah, they should probably try extend that as much as possible because I can imagine some very good drivers might miss out in the 'un-monitored' via cheating, etc.

Don’t agree with (1). Being hit from behind is not an automatic fault of the person behind.

There are plenty of people driving erratically, losing control of their car or cutting off faster drivers.

As for (4) this will just encourage people to avoid getting into situations where they might touch another Car. Nothing wrong with that you might say, except that racing is always about putting yourself in a situation where you might contact another Car.

Passing requires both drivers to follow the rules - being hit during a pass is a fault in one or both of the drivers. The driver in front is not always free of blame.

I understand what you are saying, I'm actually referring to a hard impact directly in the rear of the vehicle. Whereas I agree side swiping, rubbing & any other contact between cars whilst driving erratically should penalise both drivers to a degree...

I don't think brake checking is all that hard to resolve. It's not hard to figure out where then braking zones are on the track and then use an algorithm to decide if a car was or was not in the braking zone when hit from behind.

I don't think brake checking is all that hard to resolve. It's not hard to figure out where then braking zones are on the track and then use an algorithm to decide if a car was or was not in the braking zone when hit from behind.

Which would also penalise people trying to dodge other cars who maybe acting silly or just made a mistake...

Which would also penalise people trying to dodge other cars who maybe acting silly or just made a mistake...
Doesn't change anything. People are already getting penalized in those circumstances and it needn't be any different if a braking zone was designated. However, the game should relatively easily be able to know when you are driving erratically and adjust penalties accordingly.

It's all just wishful thinking though. There's no way PD or any mainline racing dev is going to implement a system of penalties and assigning fault in a game geared towards a 7-77 audience that they presume doesn't know an intake filter from a brake pad. It'll baffle and end up pushing away too many punters and that's not good for the bottom line.

Doesn't change anything. People are already getting penalized in those circumstances and it needn't be any different if a braking zone was designated. However, the game should relatively easily be able to know when you are driving erratically and adjust penalties accordingly.

It's all just wishful thinking though. There's no way PD or any mainline racing dev is going to implement a system of penalties and assigning fault in a game geared towards a 7-77 audience that they presume doesn't know an intake filter from a brake pad. It'll baffle and end up pushing away too many punters and that's not good for the bottom line.

I think it changes a decent amount, the SR works alright at the moment, yeah you might get rear ended a few times, but if you back off accept you might not win and just try and make sure you drive safe and set good quali laps, you'll work your way out of the bumper-car leagues.

It was the same in the beta and I'll probably be the same in the full game

I think it changes a decent amount, the SR works alright at the moment, yeah you might get rear ended a few times, but if you back off accept you might not win and just try and make sure you drive safe and set good quali laps, you'll work your way out of the bumper-car leagues.

It was the same in the beta and I'll probably be the same in the full game
No it doesn't change anything to continue to penalize people equally for certain accidents while adding in another layer of fidelity in the form of a braking zone.

Fourth paragraph:

So what that means is that maybe 24 out of a million players could very well possibly have 1 series of races officiated for them - if they happen to get into the said closed and pre-qualified race at the end of the season.'

Mean while the very millions of game buyers that funded the series through their purchase of the product are left with a free for all un-managed mish mash crash fest that causes them to abandon the game after a few months of frustration at a odd-ball automatic penalty system and move onto a different past time.

Makes sense.

No it doesn't change anything to continue to penalize people equally for certain accidents while adding in another layer of fidelity in the form of a braking zone.

But all it does is add another layer of complication... without really addressing the problem

But all it does is add another layer of complication... without really addressing the problem
Well if you want to resolve the problems you have to add layers. It seems you are advocating a do-nothing response and to keep the system as basic as possible and I simply can't agree with that in this day and age, especially given the lofty aspirations of this game and the resources at hand.. And it does help to resolve the problem of getting punted from the rear in the braking zone which, from what I can see, is where most of the punting occurs.

Well if you want to resolve the problems you have to add layers. It seems you are advocating a do-nothing response and to keep the system as basic as possible and I simply can't agree with that in this day and age, especially given the lofty aspirations of this game and the resources at hand.. And it does help to resolve the problem of getting punted from the rear in the braking zone which, from what I can see, is where most of the punting occurs.

No, I'm advocating that once you get to a certain rank they should impose actual penalties for drivers rather than the silly time stuff.
Being rear ended is frustrating, but if someone is going around doing it pretty often, their SR wont increase... where as if you randomly get punted, yours still will...

I think trying to have some breaking-zone checker to see if people are breaking in the right points would be pretty hard to judge, and also be mostly pointless as being slightly late on the breaks or slightly early is something that happens in F1, let alone GT Sport public lobbies

From what little racing online I have been a part of and seen in the daily races maybe PD having police cars and pulling over drivers giving sobriety test may be the best solutions. Looks like a bunch of drunks on the roads right after all the bars closed!

In GT5 & GT6, any bad drivers you added to your PSN blocked List were automatically blocked from any lobbies you hosted in future. It would be good if the severs in Sport Mode would similarly make sure not to match you with those on your PSN Blocked List.

VBR
In GT5 & GT6, any bad drivers you added to your PSN blocked List were automatically blocked from any lobbies you hosted in future. It would be good if the severs in Sport Mode would similarly make sure not to match you with those on your PSN Blocked List.
In open lobbies I can see that working, but not in Sport mode.

If its an esport competition you could use it to ensure you never got matched against strong drivers, this biasing the events in your favour.

With regards to the oval track event(s)-my thinking is PD puts one there to attract kids, noobs and/or people not very interested in driver ratings and such. An idiot magnet, of sorts, where you can wallride and smash around. My first online race was there. Never again, sticking to road courses.

In open lobbies I can see that working, but not in Sport mode.

It probably already does work in open lobbies, as it did in GT5 & GT6; that is unless PD dropped that as well. I think it would work well in Sport Mode, the game would simply make sure not to put you in races with drivers who are on your PSN Blocked List, & I don't think it would be too hard for PD to implement.

Back