Innovations in GT 7 : Can we expect a diversified multi-game for Next Gen ?

France
France
Tricky_Vega
I've been thinking for days if technically, but most surely in my dreams, if Gran Turismo 7 could be one day a kind of gaming Hub between current Gran Turismo games, Old Gran Turismo games and applications related to Gran Turismo.

First it is obvious that for the time GT7 will be released, we could consider GT7 and GT Sport as current games, despite the fact they both be runned on two different consoles, but actually will it be so ?

I'm wondering if the idea of porting GT Sport to the PS5 is really such a bad idea.
With graphic enhancement given by the PS5, GT Sport as it is on PS4 could be the Sport section in GT7 by crossing the saved datas in GT7 and GT Sport.
But in that option could players on PS5 race against players on PS4 ?

Secondly GT7 could focus on a decent campaign mode and centralizing saves and datas from secondary games and applications.

My ideas of secondary games attached to Gran Turismo 7 :

In the coming years instead of waiting for a Gran Turismo 8 on ps5, couldn't we expect that Polyphony Digital attach a second game focussing on Illegal Street Racing, long distance Highways' races such as the Canonball or the Gumball, Hillclimb races and simply cruising about in large parts of opened roads, which is actually the true meaning of Grand Tourism : I'd like it to be Gran Turismo World.

So that would make three big games linked between eachother by contents (cars) and "crossed saves" (status, EXP, money)

Additional applications :
- Gran Turismo track conceptor
- Gran Turismo movie maker
- Gran Turismo TV, an in Game VOD channel
enabling to view clips uploaded from the movie maker, view live évents, reports from manufacturers etc...
- a design lab to redesign existing cars in the way Zagatto and others do ...

All this may sound silly to some of you, I'm aware that it is a bit far from what we can expect in a short term future, but I think there are some good ideas that have not yet blossomed in poeples' mind....

So tell here what you think about the evolution of Gran Turismo Next Gen

Last edited:
It would be so cool and If we are dreaming, I want to have Gran Turismo world in real life. Something similar to Microsoft Flight Simulator but based on the satellite data of real-life roads. Imagine actually drive to real-life scape location to take a photo in-game.
Indeed this is such a dream even if we don't need actually every single road in the world.
I think for a starter that areas like 150 to 200 km squares in the most mesmerising spots for driving, like around mount Fuji, around Spa-Francorchamps, around LeMans, in the French Alps between Grenoble and Aix en Provence, on the Coast of California, Australia and New Zealand.....

In my mind there are so many great roads to turn into circuits in a "real driving simulator" game called Gran Turismo :cheers:

Gran Turismo Horizon? :cheers:

I said early on in GT Sport's life and got slated for it but there's no reason that I can see for not trying the Forza model of release the main series Gran Turismo 7 for the tracks and career mode aspect of it but made a separate open world environment of PD's choice where we can have car shows/drive with our friends and compete in various events/time challenges/leagues etc.

Some of the true fans of the format we have may dismiss the idea but for me it would be a nice alternative knowing that we had the main series but also a game where I could drive about in real time and just explore/take photo's et all, it's one reason I've resumed playing FH4.

There could also be rare hidden cars around the world for us to find too which we can then restore/make liveries for or at the very least a house where we can do photo's with our car and home/garage in the background.

But it's PD, would they want to do it given they tried to change direction with Sport and it has backfired a bit on them...

I said early on in GT Sport's life and got slated for it but there's no reason that I can see for not trying the Forza model of release the main series Gran Turismo 7 for the tracks and career mode aspect of it but made a separate open world environment of PD's choice where we can have car shows/drive with our friends and compete in various events/time challenges/leagues etc.

Some of the true fans of the format we have may dismiss the idea but for me it would be a nice alternative knowing that we had the main series but also a game where I could drive about in real time and just explore/take photo's et all, it's one reason I've resumed playing FH4.

There could also be rare hidden cars around the world for us to find too which we can then restore/make liveries for or at the very least a house where we can do photo's with our car and home/garage in the background.

But it's PD, would they want to do it given they tried to change direction with Sport and it has backfired a bit on them...

I don't expect PD to change once again but to diversify the experience of driving in their own simulation engineering.

I think they have the ressources to do so in a long terme developement.

Far too ambitious for PD, they would have to outsource a large amount of the work and we know that ain't happening.

We can't say that PD isn't ambitions enough, as they have proved to be at the peak on details and resolution.

Why wouldn't they do so in the diversification of driving experiences now that they are at the edge of realism ?

I don't expect PD to change once again but to diversify the experience of driving in their own simulation engineering.

I think they have the ressources to do so in a long terme developement.

Oh yes I agree here but I think they have to go with the experiences they have from the players feedback and world tour events to an extent but if more people get on the band wagon about how about an open world GT game we are more likely to see one developed as you save over the long term.

We can't say that PD isn't ambitions enough, as they have proved to be at the peak on details and resolution.

Why wouldn't they do so in the diversification of driving experiences now that they are at the edge of realism ?

I didn't mean ambitious in that regard, simply in the sheer scale of work that would be required.

You could build a skyscraper with 10 people but it'd take a long, long time.

Oh yes I agree here but I think they have to go with the experiences they have from the players feedback and world tour events to an extent but if more people get on the band wagon about how about an open world GT game we are more likely to see one developed as you save over the long term.

I put that subject on the table again because the PS5 is step by step proving its capacities for open world gaming, and I can't imagine Polyphony Digital looking at it and say " yeah .... what .... so .... we'll figure it out in 10 years "

I put that subject on the table again because the PS5 is step by step proving its capacities for open world gaming, and I can't imagine Polyphony Digital looking at it and say " yeah .... what .... so .... we'll figure it out in 10 years "

Yes agreed, I think all the games companies have a pretty clear grasp of what's possible open world on PS5, I am definitely a fan of open world games and all my time spent in GTA V/Online over the years 2013 - 2019 is proof of that, I really hope it happens, I guess if we read on here that PD have been spotted capturing a particular location in the world then that may well be the first hints of an open world game.

I mean I suppose one thing that shows they are adapting is not making the same mistake of releasing GT6 just at the end of the PS3 era so let's see what is next for the series after GT7 I guess.

Knowing Kaz, he won't jump on what is trendy he'd probably do the opposite of that. A semi open world driving simulation where you follow traffic rules is more likely to have than Horizonesque game.

Knowing Kaz, he won't jump on what is trendy he'd probably do the opposite of that. A semi open world driving simulation where you follow traffic rules is more likely to have than Horizonesque game.

I'd be also fine with your suggestion :cheers:

I suppose one thing that shows they are adapting is not making the same mistake of releasing GT6 just at the end of the PS3 era so let's see what is next for the series after GT7 I guess.

Yep ! It is exactly the point, to release a game at the very begining of a new console is a crucial step for a large developement strategy.

And it is exactly why I'm thinking that Polyphony Digital would enlarge its gaming environnements instead of trying to release two games during the PS5's lifetime.

If Evolution were still around, and Kaz was willing, you could have them create a Horizon style spin-off, ala Turn 10/Playground Games. I can honestly see a GT open world game being a little more like Test Drive Unlimited, where the main focus is driving exotic cars on beautiful roads throughout a country. Perhaps an aircraft would take you to multiple areas around the world in which there are different tracks for race events.

If Evolution were still around, and Kaz was willing, you could have them create a Horizon style spin-off, ala Turn 10/Playground Games. I can honestly see a GT open world game being a little more like Test Drive Unlimited, where the main focus is driving exotic cars on beautiful roads throughout a country. Perhaps an aircraft would take you to multiple areas around the world in which there are different tracks for race events.

What I see most accuratly in probabilities, is some wide but restricted areas from various parts of the world such as :
north California USA, Colorado USA, Virginia USA ....
Ontario Canada, Hawaii ....
Southern Islands of Japan, Mount Fuji ....
And big Cities around the world

But also as important than the locations, the game modes would give the game its interest :
- free mode with AI traffic
- sprint races with AI traffic
- loop races
- drift contests
- drag races
With a sort of scenario mode, Gran Turismo's official online events and lobbies.

And I mean that like driving in real life, road driving in that kind of game must aknowledge that when you crash, you crash and you may also generate obstacles to other players.

Last edited:
The Photo Mode Locations from GT4-GT6 and Scape Locations now, could be a way, PD have an open world.

I'm sure PD would have mapped Ronda. In GTS demos, we see cars driving thru some of the Scapes and on some tree lined roads and back roads. Treated like VR, where only one car can be driven in/at these locations, isn't too far out of PD's scope to do.

Heck, if some locations were like Goodwood point A to B, that'd be a start. Especially, something like the Mille Miglia type route we got to see in GT5.

GT already has a foundation for the open world.... the map in the menu! (one of the reasons why I want the map back)
gran-turismo-7-ps5-screenshots-4k-31.jpg

It'd be unfortunate to not utilize that as more than just the background menu. Make that map the setting for free-roam, to drive to various places like Scapes, School, Used Cars, etc. directly in your car. It will also make good use of the plethora of everyday cars in GT to be used as traffics.

But if GT has Open World, this is a must to me, follow traffic rules and drive like normal driver (stopping at red light, staying at the right path not at oncoming traffic's, etc.). "The Real Driving Simulator", I guess the "Driving" part should also teach driving on the streets like that. And add Open World license where you do stuff like avoiding crashing to traffic, parking cars, etc. I haven't thought about the events/time challenges/leagues etc. there. I have no idea how to punish those that drive like maniac similar to other open world such as NFS though.

GT already has a foundation for the open world.... the map in the menu! (one of the reasons why I want the map back)

It'd be unfortunate to not utilize that as more than just the background menu. Make that map the setting for free-roam, to drive to various places like Scapes, School, Used Cars, etc. directly in your car. It will also make good use of the plethora of everyday cars in GT to be used as traffics.

But if GT has Open World, this is a must to me, follow traffic rules and drive like normal driver (stopping at red light, staying at the right path not at oncoming traffic's, etc.). "The Real Driving Simulator", I guess the "Driving" part should also teach driving on the streets like that. And add Open World license where you do stuff like avoiding crashing to traffic, parking cars, etc. I haven't thought about the events/time challenges/leagues etc. there. I have no idea how to punish those that drive like maniac similar to other open world such as NFS though.
No punishment, just reset the car. No doubt, repeat offenders will get bored of not being able to cause havoc.

No punishment, just reset the car. No doubt, repeat offenders will get bored of not being able to cause havoc.

I think in that case the right punishment is a heavy damages' fixed setting.
And the player responsible for a crash should pay the repairs on others' cars as a fine.

Have separate mode. Arcade and simulation. So people can still drive like maniac if they want to.

Have separate mode. Arcade and simulation. So people can still drive like maniac if they want to.

I want GT one to be ordered to make the free roam different from others where there you are street criminals. Also it serves as a purpose true to GT's spirit, like another aspect of "the real driving simulator", teaching to drive in streets, can't turn them into maniacs like in those games. Even if you have arcade and simulation, still what I ask is how to punish the maniacs in simulation?

I think in that case the right punishment is a heavy damages' fixed setting.
And the player responsible for a crash should pay the repairs on others' cars as a fine.
You mean other's cars as in the AI traffics?

I want GT one to be ordered to make the free roam different from others where there you are street criminals. Also it serves as a purpose true to GT's spirit, like another aspect of "the real driving simulator", teaching to drive in streets, can't turn them into maniacs like in those games. Even if you have arcade and simulation, still what I ask is how to punish the maniacs in simulation?

You mean other's cars as in the AI traffics?

I mean if you crash your 10.000 cr. DATSUN in a 3.600.000 cr. BUGATTI Chiron of an other LIVE player you should pay the repairs for the damages you've caused as a fine.

And the more expensive the car is the more you'll pay for the damages you've caused.

This is only an idea to make people behaving like gentlemen drivers, but I guess that must be quite difficult to render a game clean but fun with "heavy rules"

Last edited:
I mean if you crash your 10.000 cr. DATSUN in a 3.600.000 cr. BUGATTI Chiron of an other LIVE player you should pay the repairs for the damages you've caused as a fine.

And the more expensive the car is the more you'll pay for the damages you've caused.

This is only an idea to make people behaving like gentlemen drivers, but I guess that must be quite difficult to render a game clean but fun with "heavy rules"
A feature like this would a great gateway to having visual and mechanical damage cost money to repair, both online and offline. Maybe even go as far as have pre-damaged cars in the UCD like NFS Porsche did. Which, in my opinion, is a much better reason to have discounted cars than simply "they're old" and/or "they have a bunch of randomly generated mileage" as seen in previous UCDs.

GT7 is not intended to be a simulator in the same way that Flight Simulator is. There is no point adding on an open world expansion because that's not what the game is about. Why do you think Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon are separate games?

GT7 is not intended to be a simulator in the same way that Flight Simulator is. There is no point adding on an open world expansion because that's not what the game is about. Why do you think Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon are separate games?
As a side, data from maybe GT5&6 would show otherwise.

Many players used Lobby as an open world. Cops & robbers. Cruising with cops. Enforcing speed limits. Even track creator. Many players want to "pretend drive" pretend driving in Gran Turismo.

There is certainly a place in a GT Mode for a generic open world. A suggestion of the menu map, being such a place, would be a welcome start.

I think the PS servers had a similar thing in the PS3(?) menu. We could walk around with our avatars and see other players(hope I'm remembering this in PS and not XBox). This can be done in Gran Turismo. The main menu can be one big lobby where we all can drive around. Even if it's limited to a solo player or only you and friends.

I guess if talking about the earlier GTs and had the idea of adding various features, you may also have said "GT is for racing, adding photo mode is pointless it contributes nothing to racing", "GT is for racing, knocking over cones is too silly for that"). I don't think being a purist is the way to go, there's no limit of what to add in the games.

Back