Interest check: a review thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter socomplayer2
  • 52 comments
  • 1,997 views
But even then, that almost makes it "too American." We'd have to have an Anglo in there...

Maybe even two would be nice. There are a lot of cars out there that we don't get here.

That sounds like it would be a pretty good lineup too. Maybe M5 and McLaren would be a little critical about the cars. It seems that most sources try and praise everything they can. Somebody who can say "you should not buy this car and here's why..." would probably be pretty valuable.
 
A section dedicated to reviews might not gather traffic properly.

What you want is to consolidate this with the car news forum... make it Car News / Reviews / Comparos / Whatever. We've already got four seperate subsections under general automotive, and adding another one would be redundant.

Then Jordan, as well as whoever he picks as senior editor, can sort the wheat from the chaff (so to speak), then post the best reviews of the week (or the month, depending on the frequency and volume of reviews) up on the front page.

On another site, that's what we've done... unfortunately, since starting on our new website, that site owner took my reviews off his front page... which now looks like ****e. No biggie. He never asked permission to use them, anyway, and I consciously did not put as much effort into those reviews as I could have otherwise.

-----

Operationally: Whoever wants to submit a review must adhere to a certain format. It doesn't have to be the stultifying interior-exterior-driving-etcetera format that some websites subscribe to, but basic information such as price, drivetrain, dimensions, etcetera, should be included, as well as a handy summary box (good, bad, final say, etcetera) somewhere in the article.

A few pictures would be nice. If you don't have a good camera and need to use stock photography, the pics should be credited. But you'll want to bring a friend along and take pics... that's 90% of the fun of doing a review...
yaris%202.jpg

focus-title-internal.jpg

ready-to-roll.jpg


I can help with some editing, but seeing as I'm already doing formal automotive reviews for another site, and as I'm in the Philippines (so my reviews would be meaningless to most on this site), I can't offer up any articles.

-----

As for media passes, I don't know how different it is for you guys up in the free states, but you'll need a letter from your editor/site owner to help in acquiring passes to events. It'll also help procure those longer test drives, which enables you to do a better job. I've found that about three to five days with a car really helps you dig into it more than a simple "whing around the block"... which gives you nothing but a first impression... something anybody with free time and a license can accomplish for themselves... which means they probably won't be as interested in reading it.

And the more cars you drive, the more accurately you can compare a new car to its competitors. Obviously, a Yaris is not a terribly good car... but how is it compared to a Chevrolet Aveo or a Hyundai Accent? Just going out there and bashing a cheap car for being cheap isn't journalism... it's just making a Maddox of yourself.

It's a thankless job, costs a lot of money (gasoline, photo sessions, lunches... etcetera) and pays absolute jack-****... but it's a lot of fun. I wish you all the best of luck!
 
It'll also help procure those longer test drives, which enables you to do a better job. I've found that about three to five days with a car really helps you dig into it more than a simple "whing around the block"... which gives you nothing but a first impression... something anybody with free time and a license can accomplish for themselves... which means they probably won't be as interested in reading it.

Yes, a review based on a simple test-drive from a dealer is almost useless. I have no idea how to get longer tests but if somebody knew how to get some sort of accreditation or whatever for this sort of thing it would be awesome.
 
If we do get somewhat "serious" about it, we would need three or four columnists. I know we've talked about it in Premium, but the most-vocal enthusiasts would have to give it a shot; M5Power, McLaren and possibly myself. I'd probably want to throw Joey in there too, but we may have to leave one open for a "freelance" position of sorts...
^ How about for those who are willing to share their opinions but was never a Premium member like some of the elite members of GTP.

But even then, that almost makes it "too American." We'd have to have an Anglo in there...
^ If you want a little more 'diversity', Me and Niky would help. ;)

Niky
I can help with some editing, but seeing as I'm already doing formal automotive reviews for another site, and as I'm in the Philippines (so my reviews would be meaningless to most on this site), I can't offer up any articles.
^ Why is it that so? That will broaden its appeal to members who lives outside the US. Take note GTP, is not a US-only site its a global community. :)
 
I'd be more then happy to write up some reviews on various cars, I go and test drive cars for fun from time to time and I can typically talk my way in quite easily. You just have to show that you aren't some punk kid, but rather just a young businessman looking for a nice car. I also have friends who work in the auto industry that bring cars home from time to time, they aren't anything unworldly but rather nice normal cars that average people who visit this forum would buy and drive.

I'd be happy to cover the shows in the area as well, my latest being the NAIAS which has it's own thread now and we have Autorama coming up soon and the three American automarkers always have a show during the summer that I typically attend.
 
I'd be happy to cover the shows in the area as well, my latest being the NAIAS which has it's own thread now and we have Autorama coming up soon and the three American automarkers always have a show during the summer that I typically attend.

I'm sure Brad would be willing to cover Chicago. Maybe Danoff would be willing to to LA, or TopHat in New York, if there's anything big over there. could we dispatch any of the Europeans to those big shows?
 
^ Also do the same thing too. I do a 'rotational basis' with car dealers here, so they don't show their game face on me instantly. :D

OT-> How did you find my reviews? Since you read some of it. :sly:

I am going to go to different ones for a while like dodge, ford and audi.

I enjoyed your reviews.👍

I have no idea how to get longer tests but if somebody knew how to get some sort of accreditation or whatever for this sort of thing it would be awesome.

rentals?
 
^ How about for those who are willing to share their opinions but was never a Premium member like some of the elite members of GTP.

Hush, slave. :p But it's simply because we were talking about this in the premo forum and it got a few positive replies, that's all. He wasn't being elitist or anything.

As for myself, I'd definitely be interested, although I'm not old enough to drive yet; but I can write well, and I can do some graphics and other cool stuff.
 
I think I am going to try the dodge caliber next. Hopefully I will be able to do it next weekend. I will try to make a comparison with the vw rabbit because they seem to be in the same playing field. When this thing gets started I will put up new edited versions of my test drive of the rabbit, jetta and gti. I'll also try to get more pictures if I can do it with out being asked about buying something.
 
This would be a pretty cool idea. Give me more of a reason to visit car dealerships more than I usually do. Now If I can somehow let a certain local car dealership to let me take out a Ferrari 360 Spyder for evaluation haha! I call dibs on two cars, a 2006 Mazda Tribute and my 1988 FC RX-7.:D
 
There's a company that is offering a day in cars like the F430, Gallardo, SLR, GT-40 and a vantage for $1300. Anybody want to take advantage of that?
 
There's a company that is offering a day in cars like the F430, Gallardo, SLR, GT-40 and a vantage for $1300. Anybody want to take advantage of that?

OMG! Where is that? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to because of I'm 17. I may have to get my dad in on it.
 
These guys.

It pretty expensive, and I would guess the guys that can afford to do this already have an exotic of their own.
 
My Dad and I were talking about doing it a while ago. I'm really only interested in driving the Ferraris and the Astons, but given that you get a couple hours with each car, it would be a blast!

...Maybe I'll do it with my tax return (no, not really)...
 
^ Why is it that so? That will broaden its appeal to members who lives outside the US. Take note GTP, is not a US-only site its a global community. :)

Well, point-of-reference. First-of-all, our conditions are different. We don't expect SatNav on even the most expensive of cars, we don't have radar guns and speed cameras (so we don't necessarily follow speed limits), our terrible traffic gives us fuel economy that's almost criminal (A CR-V can get Ford Expedition level economy in our traffic), and "fast-enough" here means the car can get to 100 km/h in under 20 seconds... under 10 seconds is "very fast" for this market.

I can't accurately comment on how an Accord stacks up against, say, a Mondeo or a Malibu. People from the UK, Japan and the US, will have access to a wider variety of cars, and will be able to post reviews that at least a dozen other regulars and thousands of drive-by readers can relate to.

And, our new site is small and struggling to grow. I have an obligation to create unique material for the site, and I'd have to write a separate, entirely different review for posting here. Which is a lot of work. I can drop by once in a while and lay down an article or two, but I can't do it regularly.

Still, the more the merrier. Variety in reviews is a good thing, and it'll help fresh new voices stand out, as the editors pick the "reviews of the month" for front page publication. 👍
 
Well, I guess the assigment would pretty much be this:

Go out and see what you can get your hands on, and write a review. Don't limit yourself to what you know best, because if I only wrote about GM and VW cars every damn time, my opinion wouldn't be worth a damn. Certainly it helps to write what you know about (mid-size sedans, for example, are my "thing"), but it always helps to broaden the horizons a bit.

If we do get somewhat "serious" about it, we would need three or four columnists. I know we've talked about it in Premium, but the most-vocal enthusiasts would have to give it a shot; M5Power, McLaren and possibly myself. I'd probably want to throw Joey in there too, but we may have to leave one open for a "freelance" position of sorts...

But even then, that almost makes it "too American." We'd have to have an Anglo in there...
I'd be happy to do bits for you, I have and issue though with having regular people. The problem with using a select group of people and not having it open is that it won't be long before they run out of cars that they have spent any time with, and after that any further reviews they do would be pointless.
 
-> ...
Well, point-of-reference. First-of-all, our conditions are different. We don't expect SatNav on even the most expensive of cars, we don't have radar guns and speed cameras (so we don't necessarily follow speed limits), our terrible traffic gives us fuel economy that's almost criminal (A CR-V can get Ford Expedition level economy in our traffic), and "fast-enough" here means the car can get to 100 km/h in under 20 seconds... under 10 seconds is "very fast" for this market.
^ I'm aware that we don't have Navi's or anything like that.

-> I've heard from other Pinoy forums that NLEX and SLEX are speed-enforced now and have radar guns now. So RD's can be useful pre se.

-> We can do most of the driving on the outskirts of Manila to get the best driving impressions. As for 'city driving', we can do it on night time like say 9 pm to 1 am. :)

-> 100 km/h can be set on any open road if we can't get any access to BRC or Subic. All we need is a BEL g-meter. Even the car hits 'round 30 secs, its up to the reader on what is the meaning of 'fast' on a certain car.

I can't accurately comment on how an Accord stacks up against, say, a Mondeo or a Malibu. People from the UK, Japan and the US, will have access to a wider variety of cars, and will be able to post reviews that at least a dozen other regulars and thousands of drive-by readers can relate to.
^ Altough the PDM Accord is basically similar to the USDM Accord, we can showcase cars that are exclusive to Southeast Asia like the [SX8] Honda City Type-Z and the Sentra Exalta and the sort.

And, our new site is small and struggling to grow. I have an obligation to create unique material for the site, and I'd have to write a separate, entirely different review for posting here. Which is a lot of work. I can drop by once in a while and lay down an article or two, but I can't do it regularly.
^ And what site would that be, maybe I could help you out over there too. ;)

Still, the more the merrier. Variety in reviews is a good thing, and it'll help fresh new voices stand out, as the editors pick the "reviews of the month" for front page publication. 👍
^ We should select who are 'truly dedicated' of posting these type of articles, though past articles on hand numerous times.

:)
 
Here it is... we just opened in October, and we're still trying to hit our stride. I think we'll be able to ramp up to once-a-week reviews by mid-year, up from our current speed of once every two weeks or one month.

http://bigbigcar.com/

I already do VBox testing. I've got some great roads near the house for hard driving. Too bad all I've got to test right now are mini-vans and SUVs... :lol: It's pretty hard to get things running, because we don't have a financial backer and we're still struggling to get recognition... but we'll get there. If anyone wants to bash our articles, feel free to register and leave your bile on our doorstep... :D :D :D
 
Here it is... we just opened in October, and we're still trying to hit our stride. I think we'll be able to ramp up to once-a-week reviews by mid-year, up from our current speed of once every two weeks or one month.

http://bigbigcar.com/
^ I might check it out one day. ;)

I already do VBox testing. I've got some great roads near the house for hard driving. Too bad all I've got to test right now are mini-vans and SUVs... :lol: It's pretty hard to get things running, because we don't have a financial backer and we're still struggling to get recognition... but we'll get there. If anyone wants to bash our articles, feel free to register and leave your bile on our doorstep... :D :D :D
^ Hey as long I can drive something new I wouldn't mind at all! :dopey:

-> I know its kinda tough w/o a financial backer, if I only have enough dough, I might pitch in. The site looks good, better than Motion Cars I think. 👍
 
Yeah, and motioncars got all the prizes for "online" articles for 2007... we just didn't enter the Henry Ford Awards in time.

For the non-Flips:

Ford/Mazda Philippines holds the "Henry Ford Awards" every year for automotive journos in our country... some journos elect not to join, simply because they don't believe in awards given by the actual people we write about, but given that you can win about $1000 per entry, up to about $14,000... well, that's good enough incentive for me... more funds to write more articles... :lol: ...important for starving writers.
 
There's a company that is offering a day in cars like the F430, Gallardo, SLR, GT-40 and a vantage for $1300. Anybody want to take advantage of that?
Lots of these out & across the US. Unforunately, I don't think all of us can either afford it, or meet the requirements which is usually a decent record, over 21, slot reservation & prices over $1,300.
 
-> ...
Yeah, and motioncars got all the prizes for "online" articles for 2007... we just didn't enter the Henry Ford Awards in time.

For the non-Flips:

Ford/Mazda Philippines holds the "Henry Ford Awards" every year for automotive journos in our country... some journos elect not to join, simply because they don't believe in awards given by the actual people we write about, but given that you can win about $1000 per entry, up to about $14,000... well, that's good enough incentive for me... more funds to write more articles... :lol: ...important for starving writers.
^ Well MotionCars is a little bit overrated in my book, they are no different compared to the scripted car show back in the 1990's called Auto Review. :indiff:

OT-> If you guys need more writers in your site, hit me a PM. I might ride on the boat and contribute, when ever I find time. :)

BT-> Let us not shoot too high on LamPorFerra (my nickname for Lambo/Porsche/Ferrari) just yet. :scared:

-> We are still on the planning stages here. We should start on what we can get a hold of first. Then as we grow in the future, we'll get a taste of Koeniggsegg, Pagani and better yet LamPorFerra.

;)
 
Well, it depends... I'll be satisfied to take the new M3 or RS4 out for a spin. We're currently trying to get the new WRX STi out onto a popular hill-climb road for some EVO-style photos... still have to talk to one of the hill-climbers to bring along his caged and stripped pre-08 STi.

On a note that's not off-topic... for those of you aching to go out and try sports cars... well, it helps to network-network-network. Build connections, get to know people. Start writing. If you're any good, and you meet the right people and they're impressed by your style, some sports car owners might (might, mind you) allow you to take their precious toy out for a spin, in exchange for acknowledgement in your article.
 
Back