Interested in new car.

  • Thread starter Thread starter BMW M-Lover
  • 74 comments
  • 2,789 views
Thanks for the condescension, always a treat from you. Yes I realize the difference, but where J.D. Power publishes its results and rates cars based on tens of thousands of customer survey feedback, I don't see how you can dismiss one single customer experience. How is it not valid? If I tell my friend who is looking to buy the same car as me all the pros and cons of the car based on my experience of owning and operating it, it's still helpful, though obviously not as objective or case-specific as him picking up a J.D. Power magazine and reading what others have written. Plus, if you haven't noticed, almost every car owner will tell you his opinion of his car.

You're telling me that because it's not the voice of ten thousand strong, I can't tell other people about my experiences owning my car? I think the problem here clearly lies with YOU, and if YOU don't like to read about other people's personal accounts, you'll have to turn your listening button off, because everyone's tellin' em.

Seriously, though. I don't think I've ever come across a member who has so many problems with so many aspects of so many other members on GTP. Lighten up; if you're tired of hearing something, just ignore it. You're not doing any good telling people about it every time something bothers you.
 
Anderton Prime
Yes I realize the difference, but where J.D. Power publishes its results and rates cars based on tens of thousands of customer survey feedback, I don't see how you can dismiss one single customer experience. How is it not valid?

Ten thousand people iron out blips. Ten people out of ten thousand have a blown engine it's not an issue. But let's pretend one of those ten people posted their blown engine experience on an Internet forum - suddenly there's an entire forum-full of people who thinks a car blows engines! That's the difference between one person spreading personal experience and JD Power doing it.

Seriously, though. I don't think I've ever come across a member who has so many problems with so many aspects of so many other members on GTP. Lighten up; if you're tired of hearing something, just ignore it. You're not doing any good telling people about it every time something bothers you.

:odd: What the hell? I asked you a pretty innocent question and received a pretty pointed response. Not that I care...
 
M5Power
Ten thousand people iron out blips. Ten people out of ten thousand have a blown engine it's not an issue. But let's pretend one of those ten people posted their blown engine experience on an Internet forum - suddenly there's an entire forum-full of people who thinks a car blows engines! That's the difference between one person spreading personal experience and JD Power doing it.

Then the problem lies not with the person relating their experience but with the simpletons who are reading it without thinking for themselves!
 
Anderton Prime
Then the problem lies not with the person relating their experience but with the simpletons who are reading it without thinking for themselves!

Just as the problem lies not with the smoker...

Anyway, I'm simply trying to solve the "problem" as you mention by pointing out the invalid nature of personal experience. :)
 
Sorry for bringing this back, but before someone brings it up 5 months from now asking what he got, I'll say since he (Logan) won't be on GTP for a while.

Despite the better judgements, he said he couldn't find a M5 in Texas he wanted, and dished out the money for a Quattroporte...I find that stupid, but, his money.

Wanted to let you all know before someone else asked and would waste a reply since he/she wouldn't get an answer. :)
 
Ghost C
Cadillac STS-V

Not Euro, but it's been tested on the same tracks as Euro cars, and it has Cadillac reliability. It'll also be in showrooms sometime soon, supposedly.

"Cadillac reliability"? hehe, you're funny :D. Is that opposed to BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus reliability?
 
Cadillac reliability is about 150x better than Mercedes reliability for the last few years...
 
I'm told I have the only Mercedes in the country that's made it 20,000 miles without an unscheduled trip to the dealer.
 
The XJR would be a great choice I think if one's going to buy a completely NEW car. Otherwise I'd have to agree that a previous gen M5 is the absolute way to go. Nothing's sexier than a 2003 Blue or White M5. An E55 AMG Merc would also be an ok second choice if no M5's are available.
 
I'd narrow it down to-

M5
S Type R
XJR
Quattroporte
E55
S500
S600
760Li
Used Arnage
Phaeton W12 (They've really plummeted in value due to no-one buying them. Could make a nice little investment...)
A8 4.2


Now if only I could narrow that down...
 
Guys, it's fine to continue the discussion as an academic excercise, but he posted a few days ago that the guy bought a car already.
 
I reckon you should get a new BMW M5.
 
Duke
Guys, it's fine to continue the discussion as an academic excercise, but he posted a few days ago that the guy bought a car already.

TVR&Ferrari Fan
I reckon you should get a new BMW M5.

Those two posts in that succession are pretty funny.
 
Duke
Guys, it's fine to continue the discussion as an academic excercise, but he posted a few days ago that the guy bought a car already.


Wow, I missed that post. What'd he get?
 
Read Post #65.
 
Back