(International) Scout returning as a VW EV brand

• Thread starter L8 Apex
  • 26 comments
United States
Alhambra, CA
chop-uh
Sr Crumbbiscuit
Don't think anybody outside Wolfsburg saw this coming!

Turns out VW's truck subsidiary bought Navistar (the successor to International Harvester) in 2020, thereby acquiring the rights to the Scout name.

Will be interesting to see if they do anything with it other than the SUV and pickup in the sketch, like a large luxury Travelall or a proper full-size pickup.

21207239-1973-international-travelall-srcset-retina-xxl.jpeg
1973-International-pickup-1210-Travelette-01.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that's was unexpected. I also did not know that VW bought International, I honestly assumed they were still their own company at this point.

My initial reaction to this on Instagram was utter disgust and offense. First of all I didn't even know that International Harvester wasn't American-owned IP anymore, and then I found out that Navistar is also owned by VW. And they have the audacity to act American and kindly give us something that has been ours all along?

I still believe that the IH Scout is an American icon and should be brought back to life by an American company with American employees for Americans. I'm literally making a disgusted face while I refuse to acknowledge VW's ownership of this brand.

If International or a Scout brand were created as a new American car company it would be acceptable to me. Hell, if the trademark was sold to Ford or GM I would be satisfied as they're the sole survivors of the original Detroit/Midwest American auto industry. Other than that, let it lie in peace. I just cannot fathom a foreign Scout and I wouldn't touch it with somebody else's money, especially if it were turned into some sort of ridiculous Land Rover/Range Rover competitor.

Do those sketches look amazing? Yes. Do I hate the idea with a fiery passion? Also yes.

Last edited:
Volkswagen know how to build a ute. The Amarok, by all accounts, is a fantastic car and has been since it was launched.

Rather than being upset by the idea of a Scout with the technology and reliability of a VW, I’d just be very grateful that the brand wasn’t bought by the likes of Ssangyong or GWM.

MG is a perfect example that this could be worse.

I’m a little confused and intrigued at the same time. If they can handle our winters here then that will be a very interesting option.

Last edited:
the British Mini, is now German
the American Scout, is now German
when Germany set out to rule the world
who knew they meant the auto world ?

Volkswagen know how to build a ute. The Amarok, by all accounts, is a fantastic car and has been since it was launched.

Rather than being upset by the idea of a Scout with the technology and reliability of a VW, I’d just be very grateful that the brand wasn’t bought by the likes of Ssangyong or GWM.

MG is a perfect example that this could be worse.
I've never seen videos of an Amarok overlanding or rock crawling in Australia and they don't sell it in North America despite a hot market for such trucks. What I do know is that this is the land of Jeeps and Broncos and TRD Pros and Raptors and Rivians. An EV Scout would have some extremely capable competition right out of the box and given the IH Scout's reputation, unless VW decides to pull a Chevy and kill the name with a crossover, they've got their work cut out for them. They apparently don't think the Amarok will garner enough sales in the US and they'd be correct. A Scout needs to not only be a great EV but a legit truck. So far, Rivian has proven to be both but there is actually room to improve, namely in modification. Combining an already-capable EV off-roader with the customizability that the Wrangler and Bronco offer would be a fantastic combo. And it should definitely not be a premium vehicle. It's quality should be on par with the Wrangler and Bronco.

I mean, International makes semi trucks lol. Everything about the brand has a very well-known and strong reputation in the US, the same as Bronco, Wrangler, Blazer (boooo GM) and others, so it's gotta be all sorts of legit. No joke, this has to be basically the best car VW has ever made if they want to avoid being embarrassed. If VW doesn't do justice to the name then it would actually hurt VW's reputation across the board. It has to be so good that a dying Boomer will buy one as their last car. Literally.

Last edited:
I've never seen videos of an Amarok overlanding or rock crawling in Australia and they don't sell it in North America despite a hot market for such trucks. What I do know is that this is the land of Jeeps and Broncos and TRD Pros and Raptors and Rivians. An EV Scout would have some extremely capable competition right out of the box and given the IH Scout's reputation, unless VW decides to pull a Chevy and kill the name with a crossover, they've got their work cut out for them. They apparently don't think the Amarok will garner enough sales in the US and they'd be correct. A Scout needs to not only be a great EV but a legit truck. So far, Rivian has proven to be both but there is actually room to improve, namely in modification. Combining an already-capable EV off-roader with the customizability that the Wrangler and Bronco offer would be a fantastic combo. And it should definitely not be a premium vehicle. It's quality should be on par with the Wrangler and Bronco.

I mean, International makes semi trucks lol. Everything about the brand has a very well-known and strong reputation in the US, the same as Bronco, Wrangler, Blazer (boooo GM) and others, so it's gotta be all sorts of legit. No joke, this has to be basically the best car VW has ever made if they want to avoid being embarrassed. If VW doesn't do justice to the name then it would actually hurt VW's reputation across the board. It has to be so good that a dying Boomer will buy one as their last car. Literally.
Bro, all VW has to do is rename the Amarok to Anorak, partner with Arc'teryx for the upholstery, and sell it through REI - instant class leader on the west coast. That's just pure profit right there.

Last edited:
"Production will start in 2026" says it all
All it says to me is that they have three and a half years to change their mind about it if the market turns in a different direction or the beancounters decide they won't get enough ROI from it. By that time Ford could easily lock down the American EV pickup market the same way they basically locked down the performance truck market with the Raptor.

When I see it in a showroom with an iH logo on the front, I'll believe it. Until then it's just an interest check on VW's part.

All it says to me is that they have three and a half years to change their mind about it if the market turns in a different direction or the beancounters decide they won't get enough ROI from it. By that time Ford could easily lock down the American EV pickup market the same way they basically locked down the performance truck market with the Raptor.

When I see it in a showroom with an iH logo on the front, I'll believe it. Until then it's just an interest check on VW's part.
Yep, that's EXACTLY my takeaway too.

The only thing that makes me angry about this news from VW is the unnecessary apostrophe in "gets". Otherwise I love it. Using the distinctive C-pillar line from the Scout II and using it to define the entire range of new Scouts, both trucks and SUVs, is brilliant.

Last edited:
Depending on how they pulled it off, that could be what I've been holding out for. I'm committed to an EV as my next purchase from new but so far the closest to appealing for me among SUVs--which is what I want--has been the Gravity, and it's not still there.

That said, I don't expect them to follow through on it.

I am still incredibly offended that VW thinks they're doing America a service by bringing back the Scout name. They recently teased a lovely imagine of the SUV and pickup.

scout.hero_.jpeg

Looks like they may even try to bring back some retro-style advertisements.

Thusfar, literally every EV product VW has created bar the Buzz is absolutely miserable, particularly in the American market. Their EV cars are Walmart-levels of bargain basement and their grandest plan of all, the Electrify America charging network, is a scam at best. I expect their Scout creations to be thoroughly inadequate, especially after all the ridiculous decisions their CEO has made as of late. VW attempting to use the "made in America for America" thing on this legendary brand name is so out of line, especially considering that EA, also an "American" product, is so bad that Tesla is about to put them out of business.

I am still incredibly offended that VW thinks they're doing America a service by bringing back the Scout name. They recently teased a lovely imagine of the SUV and pickup.

scout.hero_.jpeg

Looks like they may even try to bring back some retro-style advertisements.

Thusfar, literally every EV product VW has created bar the Buzz is absolutely miserable, particularly in the American market. Their EV cars are Walmart-levels of bargain basement and their grandest plan of all, the Electrify America charging network, is a scam at best. I expect their Scout creations to be thoroughly inadequate, especially after all the ridiculous decisions their CEO has made as of late. VW attempting to use the "made in America for America" thing on this legendary brand name is so out of line, especially considering that EA, also an "American" product, is so bad that Tesla is about to put them out of business.
You have a lot of anger in you.

Last edited:
You have a lot of anger in you.
Concerning VW's handling of EV infrastructure in the US, yes I do. They couldn't possibly be doing a worse job. They were better at diesels.

Concerning VW's handling of EV infrastructure in the US, yes I do. They couldn't possibly be doing a worse job. They were better at diesels.
It really seems like they were maintaining the mindset of EVs being a fad that would have died by now, and are very behind the curve now that it's obvious they aren't going to just quietly fade out.

Also, having done some cursory research I've learned that IH has had a rather strong Australian presence in its lifetime, primarily building military vehicles for them through the '50s and '60s, so the whole "by America for America" trope rings even more hollow because they were very much as international as the name suggests.

It really seems like they were maintaining the mindset of EVs being a fad that would have died by now, and are very behind the curve now that it's obvious they aren't going to just quietly fade out.

Also, having done some cursory research I've learned that IH has had a rather strong Australian presence in its lifetime, primarily building military vehicles for them through the '50s and '60s, so the whole "by America for America" trope rings even more hollow because they were very much as international as the name suggests.
Yeah, IH was just as international as GM and Ford but like them was born and based in the US. How VW came to possess the IP is a really convoluted story but apparently none of the American brands have ever been interested in rebuying it...including Navistar which is IH and owns the modern International. Dumb. How are you gonna let such a valuable IP get away from you like that.

Yeah, IH was just as international as GM and Ford but like them was born and based in the US. How VW came to possess the IP is a really convoluted story but apparently none of the American brands have ever been interested in rebuying it...including Navistar which is IH and owns the modern International. Dumb. How are you gonna let such a valuable IP get away from you like that.
If there's anything I've learned from following Forza and GT development, it's that licensing protocols are several layers deep and corporate entities are often seperated in bizarre ways that only make sense to the bookkeepers who are trying to make the balance sheets look good for investors and shareholders. Plus European laws surrounding such things are rather different than North American laws, which makes it even more impenetrable and probably too costly for other companies to try and re-acquire it, even if they did have plans to use it for something.

Although in the grand scheme of things, I guess I'd rather that someone be using it for something, instead of it being filler in some Russian oligarch's portfolio like TVR was for over a decade. Assuming VW don't decide the market is too overcrowded and back out before 2026 that is.

I just want to note that International Harvester is very odd brand name for a consumer automobile. What are we harvesting guys?

I just want to note that International Harvester is very odd brand name for a consumer automobile. What are we harvesting guys?
I know you're being goofy but from a business standpoint if you're already selling tractors to farmers and workmen then why not sell them a pickemup truck too?

I know you're being goofy but from a business standpoint if you're already selling tractors to farmers and workmen then why not sell them a pickemup truck too?
And it's certainly not the first time a farm machinery manufacturer decided to get into the automotive market, either...

l79AIlZ.jpg

Last edited:
Back