Internet connectivity questions

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Recently upgraded from 20mb DSL to 1GB Fiber. I currently have my PC and PS4 connected through ethernet cable to the wall, which runs through said wall and goes to a connection on my kitchen counter where the modem is located. I use a WiFi connection for my phone. Ever since I upgraded to the Fiber internet, the WiFi connection on my phone will randomly disconnect, then reconnect almost immediately after. My PC has started doing something where, when I first fire it up for the day, it doesn't connect. Also, it will disconnect completely while I am surfing the net. The only way to get the connection back for either, is to restart the computer.

I figure the network card in my PC was maybe starting to fail, but that wouldn't explain the WiFi disconnects with my phone. Any ideas?

Edit: I have updated the drivers for the network card and turned off the option that allowed the PC to shut it off to save power (which I found on a Google search) so we'll see what happens...

Last edited:
Recently upgraded from 20mb DSL to 1GB Fiber. I currently have my PC and PS4 connected through ethernet cable to the wall, which runs through said wall and goes to a connection on my kitchen counter where the modem is located. I use a WiFi connection for my phone. Ever since I upgraded to the Fiber internet, the WiFi connection on my phone will randomly disconnect, then reconnect almost immediately after. My PC has started doing something where, when I first fire it up for the day, it doesn't connect. Also, it will disconnect completely while I am surfing the net. The only way to get the connection back for either, is to restart the computer.

I figure the network card in my PC was maybe starting to fail, but that wouldn't explain the WiFi disconnects with my phone. Any ideas?

Edit: I have updated the drivers for the network card and turned off the option that allowed the PC to shut it off to save power (which I found on a Google search) so we'll see what happens...
Sounds like it might be a network equipment issue. Transceivers are notoriously garbage. Do you know what equipment you have? Does your router log network activity?

I recently bought a new laptop to help with remote working, and it is working - but I'm currently at my Mum's and although the internet is fine, I've noticed my laptop dropping internet access while I am using a remote connection/VPN with work.

My Mum is with Sky and I'm with BT - is there some reason why her ISP might not work as well with VPN?

I recently bought a new laptop to help with remote working, and it is working - but I'm currently at my Mum's and although the internet is fine, I've noticed my laptop dropping internet access while I am using a remote connection/VPN with work.

My Mum is with Sky and I'm with BT - is there some reason why her ISP might not work as well with VPN?

Wireless?

Wireless?
Yes... it seems to be OK now, but it is still happening. It wasn't an issue with my own broadband, but I'm also using a new laptop so I reckon it is probably that as opposed to the internet connection.

Yes... it seems to be OK now, but it is still happening. It wasn't an issue with my own broadband, but I'm also using a new laptop so I reckon it is probably that as opposed to the internet connection.

The first thing I would try is using a hard wired connection to make sure that it's not wireless that is dropping out. You're connecting over a new wireless network, which may not be particularly stable. VPN may just be more noticeable for internet connectivity issues.

The first thing I would try is using a hard wired connection to make sure that it's not wireless that is dropping out. You're connecting over a new wireless network, which may not be particularly stable. VPN may just be more noticeable for internet connectivity issues.
Thanks for the suggestion 👍

I need to work online now because my new laptop doesn't have Office but the PC I'm remotely connecting to does, otherwise I could work almost entirely offline. I'll definitely try a wired connection if the problem persists.

Thanks for the suggestion 👍

I need to work online now because my new laptop doesn't have Office but the PC I'm remotely connecting to does, otherwise I could work almost entirely offline. I'll definitely try a wired connection if the problem persists.

So what's the prognosis?

Latest Posts

Back