Into the fire: ABS-0 and Comfort Soft

  • Thread starter Thread starter smskeeter23
  • 32 comments
  • 2,250 views
Messages
2,006
United States
Port Washington
Messages
GTP_skeeter23
I've always driven in GT6 with all aids off except ABS-1 but due to sheer bordem I decided it was finally time for me to return to ABS-0. In GT5 with my DFP I could do it no problem, then I got a G27 and it all fell apart.

I tried to do ABS-0 right out of the box with GT6 and couldn't hack it (since it now seems it was all screwed up at release). Since that issue was fixed I'm trying it again except this time I've also thrown Comfort Soft (sport hards before) tires into the mix for basically everything below 600pp.

What I've found so far is that after a VERY short adjustment period I am getting quite a bit faster. Within an hour I dropped a solid 5 seconds on the ring in my stock C6 ZR1. My WRS qualifier time on "Streets" also dropped 2 seconds after going to ABS-0. I think the biggest reason for this is that it forces you to pay closer attention to entry speed, turn in, slip angles, and proper straightline braking than you do on SH and ABS-1.

It's strange almost calming experience. In the end I actually feel more relaxed because it seems like I'm actually going slower but the laptimes continue to drop. Slow in Fast out? This is a good way to force it into your driving style.

Another part of this is that the grip loss seems to be so much more predictable. You can almost feel which wheel is losing grip.

Overall this transition is proving to be very rewarding.


This is of course only my opinion and experience. Your results may vary.

Anybody else doing the same thing? What's your story?
 
Ive just started this as well. I can't see how I ever had any fun with ABS on now.

I enjoy setting up a good brake balance and using my own judgement for keeping the tires from locking up.

I've redone the 24 minutes of Le Mans 3 times now without ABS, and let me tell you, that was fun. If you're getting bored of GT6, I HIGHLY suggest using some cheap comfort tires in a 400-500 PP car and going ABS=0.

I thought it would be very challenging, but it's easy to adapt to! I'm sure that just about everybody here could do it. You really should! Loads of fun.
 
Just my opinion, but ABS 0 seems very easy now compared to how it was in GT5. In some experimenting, I have often been able to put in faster lap times with ABS 0 than with ABS 1, which I usually run. That definitely wasn't the case in GT5....I was always slower with ABS 0 and it seemed like a bigger learning curve. Not so in GT6, not much of a learning curve at all, just seems quite a bit easier here in GT6. That's my take on it, others of course may have a different opinion.
 
Great stuff!

I love ABS=0, after the first few screeching lockups your fingers/feet start to adapt and things just start to feel more "real". I find trail braking gets a lot easier i.e. it's easier to get rotation. ABS=1 seems to dampen response (which makes sense, as it's stopping any slip so the back wheels cant come around as easily).

as @KinLM says, it's great fun dialling in a brake balance and it feels like the BB has more of an effect with ABS off. I feel like the LSD decel is also brought to life more.

ABS 0 also illustrates the point of racing brakes in GT6. With sticky tyres, on some cars at least, normal brakes with balance at the max of 10/10 can't always provide enough force to lock the wheels.

:cheers:
 
Another part of this is that the grip loss seems to be so much more predictable. You can almost feel which wheel is losing grip.

Overall this transition is proving to be very rewarding.
This is of course only my opinion and experience. Your results may vary.
Anybody else doing the same thing? What's your story?
ABS0 is fantastic in GT6 no question about that. Coupled with improvements to auditory feedback from the tires it makes the cars come alive like ABS1 can't. If you love this franchise or game, there is no better way to experience it than by turning off ABS, putting on some comfort tires and running around any of the real tracks in the game. All due respect to Kaz and PD, this is one part of the game they got right!
 
ABS0 is fantastic in GT6 no question about that. Coupled with improvements to auditory feedback from the tires it makes the cars come alive like ABS1 can't. If you love this franchise or game, there is no better way to experience it than by turning off ABS, putting on some comfort tires and running around any of the real tracks in the game. All due respect to Kaz and PD, this is one part of the game they got right!
Couldnt have said it any better myself if I had to. 👍
 
The other cool thing about ABS 0 is when you race online and place well against a load of ABS 1 drivers. :D

(I'm not bragging here - i don't consider myself an awesome driver or anything, but when it does happen it makes the win 10x sweeter!)
 
Just my opinion, but ABS 0 seems very easy now compared to how it was in GT5. In some experimenting, I have often been able to put in faster lap times with ABS 0 than with ABS 1, which I usually run. That definitely wasn't the case in GT5....I was always slower with ABS 0 and it seemed like a bigger learning curve. Not so in GT6, not much of a learning curve at all, just seems quite a bit easier here in GT6. That's my take on it, others of course may have a different opinion.
I think there may be some merit to this. The brake pedal on my DFP was pretty easy to modulate compared to the G27. After I got the G27 ABS off in GT5 was pretty much over.

On the flipside of that though I think GT6 has it's own "difficulties" as well because the cars were much more stable under braking in GT5 (I feel). ABS off in GT5 you could still mash the pedal pretty good. GT6 you have to roll in/roll out of it if you want to live.

Either way I am thoroughly pleased :)
 
DS3 user here, is it doable with a controller? If it is I'll soon find out I suppose...
Actually yes. I suck with a DS3 but I have surprisingly been able to do it with that as well (within reason).

If you are normally a DS3 user you can probably pull it off well.
 
Abs 0 is by far the biggest single alteration to the experience you can make, in my opinion. Even with SRF on it makes a big difference. Then altering the brake balance is when things come alive.

I tend to run 0 and on all my cars except drift cars, I have more control with it when sideways.
 
DS3 user here, is it doable with a controller? If it is I'll soon find out I suppose...
I'm a complete ds3 user. ABS 0 works well for me on standard brakes, but racing brakes are very problematic - and its inconsistent.

Some cars that come stock with racing brakes are really good on ABS 0. Even a balance of 10/10 didn't lock much. But others are just plain undriveable with a balance of 0/0. Every car that I upgraded to racing brakes, however were undriveable for me - but that was a small selection!

Hope that helps:tup:
 
@smskeeter23 have you modified your g27 brake pedal? If you are working with just the stock, linear, low-resistance brake pedal, then it is going to be MUCH more difficult than if you've modified it by adding a rubber chunk/Nixim brake mod to that thing.

I have a modified Nixim (old style) rubber chunk in there, and it is uncanny how good it feels. It is EXACTLY like a real sports car brake pedal now, and the way GT calibrates 100% to equal your farthest 'push' of the pedal, oh man it is sweet sweet beans.
 
i might give it a try then.
any suggestion what kind of car should i try first time abs off?
& should i do a few laps with abs1 & then try to improve it with abs-0?
 
I've always driven in GT6 with all aids off except ABS-1 but due to sheer bordem I decided it was finally time for me to return to ABS-0.

I've kind of done the same thing with cockpit view. I've never liked it in any game going back to PGR3. Always used bumpercam. But, in a effort to create something for myself to do I've been using nothing but cockpit cam. Still think there's a little too much dashboard graphical showoff'ing going on with it, but it's not bad. Figure I might as well get used to it now as iRacing is probably my next stop unless something drastically changes on the consoles in the next year.

Anyways, I'm also finding that I'm going faster using this view. The game seems to just move a little slower and I definitely have a better feel for the orientation of the car on the track. Probably try ABS off as well. Think I'll wait till I'm bored with adapting to cockpit cam though. Give me something to look forward too.:eek::lol:
 
@smskeeter23 have you modified your g27 brake pedal? If you are working with just the stock, linear, low-resistance brake pedal, then it is going to be MUCH more difficult than if you've modified it by adding a rubber chunk/Nixim brake mod to that thing.

I have a modified Nixim (old style) rubber chunk in there, and it is uncanny how good it feels. It is EXACTLY like a real sports car brake pedal now, and the way GT calibrates 100% to equal your farthest 'push' of the pedal, oh man it is sweet sweet beans.
Haven't gotten to mod the pedal yet. Its been on the list but haven't ponied up the dough yet for the kit.

@TRC GeorgiaDawg ... I used to be strictly cockpit only until GT6s lighting ruined it. Once they fix the lighting I'll be back behind the wheel but right now it's just a once in awhile thing, certain car, certain track where I know it works right. Otherwise I'm out on the bumper where I can see!
 
I've been thinking about it. Will try tonight.
 
i might give it a try then.
any suggestion what kind of car should i try first time abs off?
& should i do a few laps with abs1 & then try to improve it with abs-0?

I'd suggest any car you currently enjoy driving that's in the 400-425 PP range on SH tires to start. I prefer comforts in that range but if you're looking for something challenging but a little less edgy, 400-425 on SH is a good place to start. I use a G27 with the @GTEYE brake mod and most street cars are in the 3-6F/1-4R on Standard brakes. Racing brakes are too strong for ABS0 IMO.

Haven't gotten to mod the pedal yet. Its been on the list but haven't ponied up the dough yet for the kit.

I am extremely happy with the @GTEYE brake mod. Exceptional instructions with full colour pictures, quick service, etc.
 
Straight in at the deep end, well, track-wise anyway. Nordschleife. 1967 2000 GT. Untuned, all assists off, brakes standard but biased 4/3. 373PP/153BHP. DS3 controller. Average ability.

*edit* sport hard tyres.

First lap was a dreadful 9.06.892, dropping to 8.47.236 as I began to get a feel for it. By lap 4 I managed a more respectable 8.38.558.
I wish I'd used a car I was more familiar with, made the mistake of choosing a car I've rarely driven, but I'm slightly unsure what conclusion to draw. At first it felt sterile and disconnected almost, but after a few laps I suppose I'd have to conclude it felt slightly more natural - although I have to say not hugely so. Car choice is critical I think.

*edit no.2* - 4.2 secs a lap quicker with ABS on 1. This could be due to becoming more familiar with the car, but to me the more positive and confident feel of ABS is winning at the moment. I prefer late braking or early off the brakes so maybe it's too late for me to adapt to no ABS. I'll try it again in a more familiar car. Possibly.
 
Last edited:
interesting topic,

I'm new to this tecnique, at the moment I use abs only in light weight cars like lotus, miatas, ecc
It really forces you to drive in a smoother way, wich means better lap times. Anymay I think you can have better lap times also because when the internal steering tyre locks in a proper way it helps the car to steer a little bit more, something like the system that allows the tanks to steer... I known, it's a little bit weird :) . Is it possible or is it just a big illusion?
 
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems when I run CS and abs 0 the AI does not run into me as much even when I make some pretty reckless moves. Also with abs0 and racing brakes it's real similar feel to the brakes on a sport bike, meant to be used at high speeds, but jamming on them at low speed will instantly lock them up.
 
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems when I run CS and abs 0 the AI does not run into me as much even when I make some pretty reckless moves. Also with abs0 and racing brakes it's real similar feel to the brakes on a sport bike, meant to be used at high speeds, but jamming on them at low speed will instantly lock them up.
Funny, I was going to say the same thing about the AI.
 
@smskeeter23 have you modified your g27 brake pedal? If you are working with just the stock, linear, low-resistance brake pedal, then it is going to be MUCH more difficult than if you've modified it by adding a rubber chunk/Nixim brake mod to that thing.

I have a modified Nixim (old style) rubber chunk in there, and it is uncanny how good it feels. It is EXACTLY like a real sports car brake pedal now, and the way GT calibrates 100% to equal your farthest 'push' of the pedal, oh man it is sweet sweet beans.

I'm a long time no abs'r with a G27. I've had the nixom brake mod since GT Prologue and it worked wonders for me, until the most recent update in GT6. As I was getting adjusted to the new ABS0 feel, I took out the nixom brake mod and the increased pedal travel has helped me trail brake more effectively. I adjust my brakes until lock up occurs only when I push the brake pedal fully to the floor so I have plenty of travel to lift off during trail braking.
 
I've kind of done the same thing with cockpit view. I've never liked it in any game going back to PGR3. Always used bumpercam. But, in a effort to create something for myself to do I've been using nothing but cockpit cam. Still think there's a little too much dashboard graphical showoff'ing going on with it, but it's not bad. Figure I might as well get used to it now as iRacing is probably my next stop unless something drastically changes on the consoles in the next year.

Anyways, I'm also finding that I'm going faster using this view. The game seems to just move a little slower and I definitely have a better feel for the orientation of the car on the track. Probably try ABS off as well. Think I'll wait till I'm bored with adapting to cockpit cam though. Give me something to look forward too.:eek::lol:


Snap, I've only ever used cockpit cam on Shift until gt6, I now use only cockpit cam and the narrowest view, it took many hours adjustment but I'm now decent quick using it.

I run no ABS in career mode but I don't have the energy to make it work in the TT's, I'm a ds3 user and pretty convinced I'm quicker (in a consistent sense) with abs on 1. Forza nailed abs off, there was a true sense of where the biting point was, GT6's is, at least for me, hazy...

Fairplay to anyone who's 'quicker' with abs off using a controller! :bowdown:
 
My absolute joy was discovering that I had ABS OFF on the Aston Martin One-77, on the Nordschleife, upgraded to Engine 2 AND Supercharged, and just destroying the competition on clean runs at ~600-625pp, ending the lap some10s ahead. ABS Off forever too. It's part of the entire tuning process, driving inputs included. I pump the brake pedal very often cadence style in my driving, just fighting calmly to keep the car balanced throughout the track.
 
I'm a long time no abs'r with a G27. I've had the nixom brake mod since GT Prologue and it worked wonders for me, until the most recent update in GT6. As I was getting adjusted to the new ABS0 feel, I took out the nixom brake mod and the increased pedal travel has helped me trail brake more effectively.


^this is exactly why I modified the HECK out of that Nixim chunk. In it's stock form you will lose all of your travel because it's just a solid block.

I am with you all the way for more travel, but that linear feel of an unmodified G27... that's just not working out.
 
^this is exactly why I modified the HECK out of that Nixim chunk. In it's stock form you will lose all of your travel because it's just a solid block.

I am with you all the way for more travel, but that linear feel of an unmodified G27... that's just not working out.
@GTEYE

Thread Here
 
thanks JPeazy. I'll be ordering one of those for a friend with a new G27. He will love it.
 
Back