Intro + Question :DPS4 

• Thread starter AvolA
  • 77 comments
I see, so I'll just have to put up with the drop outs.
It is mainly person to person on console but I believe on PC they use a main game server.

Speed isn't really a big factor, for a better experience a constant low ping connection is preferred.
If you're not already doing so use a wired connection to your modem/router. WiFi is rubbish for stability in online racing games. I know people say they don't have any problems with WiFi but they don't see their car jumping about on other people's screens. Just opening a fridge or switching a light on can interrupt the signal.
Also try to limit how many are using the internet while racing. Too many requests to the modem will also cause pauses in data transmission.

We are going way off subject, as we often do. :)
So to bring it back around - How are you doing with your new wheel and the game @AvolA ?

Well, my license score is starting to drop gradually :( I cannot figure out why, but from every 5 races i've done on a night, i crashed in 3 of them in the first corner. On the easy tracks i know, i can manage to start anywhere from 1st to 5th position (if the lobby doesn't fill up with all pro's). Although, after the first or second corner, i am usually last or second to last. I can't reset the vehicle because others are in my way, and i can't seem to get on the track faster than the others :(

If there are any tips to prevent this, gladly! I've already tried to not qualify, start last en win atleast 3/4 spots after 1st or 2nd corner by passing all the crashes :P But that's not in my nature, i want to qualify and then see if i can beat my qualification position in the race!

But apart from this, the wheel is awesome! The game is awesome! One more question though:

A few nights back i entered this lobby which had GT3 class on Hockenheim. I had never raced Hockenheim before on Pcars, so i went in with my Audi, got my usual settings and went on for qualifying. In the qualification i was so bloody fast haha (im trying not to brag). I kept being faster than anyone in front of me (not sure if they were pushing, ofcourse). I ended with a P2 grid start.

Then, when the race started (no time lapse, same track temp, same settings) the track felt completely different! I spun (span?) out atleast 3 times in the first round :( Tire temp/pressure was the same as in the qualification. In the race, the car felt so different and more unstable than it did while qualifying and i cannot figure out why :( Anyone with some bright ideas so i can be prepared the next time? I finished 7th of 14, so in the end not too bad.

TL&DR: car seems to feels more stable in quali than race with same settings. why?

Well, my license score is starting to drop gradually :( I cannot figure out why, but from every 5 races i've done on a night, i crashed in 3 of them in the first corner. On the easy tracks i know, i can manage to start anywhere from 1st to 5th position (if the lobby doesn't fill up with all pro's). Although, after the first or second corner, i am usually last or second to last. I can't reset the vehicle because others are in my way, and i can't seem to get on the track faster than the others :(

If there are any tips to prevent this, gladly! I've already tried to not qualify, start last en win atleast 3/4 spots after 1st or 2nd corner by passing all the crashes :P But that's not in my nature, i want to qualify and then see if i can beat my qualification position in the race!

But apart from this, the wheel is awesome! The game is awesome! One more question though:

A few nights back i entered this lobby which had GT3 class on Hockenheim. I had never raced Hockenheim before on Pcars, so i went in with my Audi, got my usual settings and went on for qualifying. In the qualification i was so bloody fast haha (im trying not to brag). I kept being faster than anyone in front of me (not sure if they were pushing, ofcourse). I ended with a P2 grid start.

Then, when the race started (no time lapse, same track temp, same settings) the track felt completely different! I spun (span?) out atleast 3 times in the first round :( Tire temp/pressure was the same as in the qualification. In the race, the car felt so different and more unstable than it did while qualifying and i cannot figure out why :( Anyone with some bright ideas so i can be prepared the next time? I finished 7th of 14, so in the end not too bad.

TL&DR: car seems to feels more stable in quali than race with same settings. why?

With regard to the inconsistent grip levels, ironically I experience this every now and then and recently made a thread (Grip Inconsistency Issues) to ask if it was a known bug;

Seems for me, the best thing to do is reload your setup before you hit the track for each session. Not just when you enter a lobby, but when you go from practice to qualify, and race. I reload it each time.

As for getting your licence score up, I try to avoid the low-rated lobbies as much as possible, and simply do your best to avoid the crashes. You want to race in proximity to other drivers, but without making contact. I know it sounds like Capt. Obvious, but that's really all you can do. Stay on track and avoid contact. Be patient.

Wasn't also an air flow too taking part? Just asking, but I starting to believe it has some great impact. In qualification you mostly drive alone, and if, you race with a crowd it can take some twists in air flow in general. Have started to think about it recently, when raced on Le Mans in GT1 class, when there is no other cars around, mine holds up very steady, but inside a pack, it starts to loose grip very randomly.

The game actually aware you about air impacting racing, but in oval racing context.

As for the races, dunno, I do what I can and that's it. A hint, a trophy name for a Veteran licence trophy - "Seen it all". If not talent, then try experience! Good luck, also if you in EU region, see ya around!

Turbulent airflow does seem to cause issues when racing near others. What surprises me is how much it seems to affect the rear of the car, when what you normally hear about is the front. Of course, it can be difficult in the heat of battle to accurately tell the difference between turbulent air disrupting your downforce and you just thinking too much about the car ahead and messing up your marks/technique by a tiny bit and not being able to corner like normal.

If there are any tips to prevent this,
The one thing I'd say is don't try to win the race on the first lap, take it easy and play the longer game. The licence score likes consistency.

And try what @fumanchu11 says for the grip problems - reloading your setup. There was a problem I'd thought they'd patched but maybe it still occurs on occasions.

Don't worry at all about the score (the number that starts out as 1500). Focus on the safety rating (the letter that starts out as U) - that's really the only one anyone cares about.

Do you know after all this time I've not really got a clue how that rating system works or what the letters, numbers and colours mean. I never look at it very often but I think I'm S1400-ish. Is that good, bad or could do better? :)

Do you know after all this time I've not really got a clue how that rating system works or what the letters, numbers and colours mean. I never look at it very often but I think I'm S1400-ish. Is that good, bad or could do better? :)

It's very good, especially in terms of your safety rating, since S is the top level and takes some work to get there. And as @Daz555 said, that's what is most important. It's clear you've done a lot of clean racing. I'm A1535-ish at the moment. And for every race I run, I only climb 2-3 percentage points per race in the A-level. So it will take some work to get to that final S level rating. I put an emphasis on clean races to improve the safety rating, and let the skill points fall where they may. I think it's rare that I've seen lobbies set for a skill level higher than 1400. So I doubt there are many lobbies you cant run in.

Right so the letter is the safety (or lack of contact) evaluation and the number is the overall performance rating (up to what figure?). Do they go up and down?

And I see there are different colours on various drivers, what does that represent?

And for every race I run, I only climb 2-3 percentage points per race in the A-level. So it will take some work to get to that final S level rating.
Are the safety and performance linked then? Or can you be safe and slow/reckless and fast?

It's clear you've done a lot of clean racing
Oh I'm always clean. Never that fast though. :)

Edit. And on a recheck I'm S1392 and a gold colour. And I can see I've answered my own question in that it rises and falls

Right so the letter is the safety (or lack of contact) evaluation and the number is the overall performance rating (up to what figure?). Do they go up and down?

And I see there are different colours on various drivers, what does that represent?

Are the safety and performance linked then? Or can you be safe and slow/reckless and fast?

Oh I'm always clean. Never that fast though. :)

Edit. And on a recheck I'm S1392 and a gold colour. And I can see I've answered my own question in that it rises and falls

This does a pretty good job of explaining it all;

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/competitive-racing-license/?lang=en-us

And I feel like I'm the same way. I'm no sim-racing alien. But I go out of my way to try not to have any contact, but when others hitting you also impacts your safety rating, it can be annoying. But that is where I try to pick my lobbies wisely, and be aware of who I think might be the ones to watch out for in turn 1. Even then, there's only so much you can do.

From the start of my PC journey, I did made to an A rating pretty quick, but still 76%. Guess, it is hard to rise it in public lobbies in general, contacts here and there, random spin outs, wide lines off the track limits, and damn those false starts on tension. S rating in this game really hard to gather in a natural way, unlike in GT Sport. As for DR, did only noticed it rises from each top 3 places by a little, and goes down with every fall in a grid significantly.
Got bypassed 1600 multiply times, but usually stay there not for long, one failure and 1500 again! It's hard.

Maximum I saw S2100, but usual top class in PC lobbies 1800, rare guys doing insane times. 1700 seems manageable, have an aim to get there for now. Pretty good level, and mostly feels like A class equivalent from GT sport.

Damn, site says to aim for 5000, lol.

Yesterday evening was very rewarding for me, and really motivated me to continue my PCARS2 journey and keep pushing! I had such a good race in an online lobby on Hockenheim track, with 12 very clean players. There was no single accident. I qualified on 4th position and managed to finish 4th aswell, with the AUDI GT3 again :P (love that car).

Then, after this race i went to another lobby, racing on Laguna Seca (awesome track). I had never raced this track before in this game (practiced once, but then got disconnected without a reason). Man o man, this was such a blast. I got faster each round, scraping off second by second. I managed to qualify on second place... then i had the most stupid situation i have encountered in PCARS2, sofar. I was not aware that this lobby had a rolling start setup. My girlfriend entered my mancave on the exact moment the race started. I was not really paying attention to my screen (no, she was not naked) and like a blind shrimp, just rolled straight through the corner and off the track.. got myself disqualified for the first time haha. Obviously, i had to beat my girlfriend up for messing with my race-mojo.

Anyways, i had alot of fun. Made some minor settings to the wheel (turned FFB and sensitivity up a bit) and it all felt so good and made me quite fast (in comparison to myself, a few days earlier). This is why i really love this game, these moments (except the #fail on lagunaseca).

So far, these are my three fails:

- Not paying attention to rolling start and rolling off the track, quite gently..
- Not changing the fuel amount from qualification to race, ending up with an empty tank in the final round.. (while on second position)
- Spinning out of a corner, cracking my front window (not able to see clearly anymore in cockpitmode), changing the camera position and while doing so, forgetting to brake for upcoming corner and spinning again.. lost atleast 3 positions while doing so :P

Don't hesitate to share yours ;)

TL&DR: had a blast last night, racing on hockenheim & laguna seca. Failed in the race by not doing anything after rolling start.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but i'm posting it anyways haha. I had a television upstairs, without a base (because it was mounted on the wall). I wanted to use this TV for my PS4, so i made a base myself where i could store the PS4 and my controller. Here are some pictures:

Pretty basic, but for now there's not alot of room for a Playseat kind of rig. And if there is/was, i would definitely build one myself.

As you can see, i still need a decent gaming/racing chair. I am still in doubt if i buy a racing chair, or make a "playseat" rig and mount an actual race seat.

Attachments

• rig2.jpg
    rig2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 16
  • rig3.jpg
    rig3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 16
  • rig4.jpg
    rig4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 16
  • rig1.jpg
    rig1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 17
Not sure if anyone is interested, but i'm posting it anyways haha. I had a television upstairs, without a base (because it was mounted on the wall). I wanted to use this TV for my PS4, so i made a base myself where i could store the PS4 and my controller. Here are some pictures:

Pretty basic, but for now there's not alot of room for a Playseat kind of rig. And if there is/was, i would definitely build one myself.

As you can see, i still need a decent gaming/racing chair. I am still in doubt if i buy a racing chair, or make a "playseat" rig and mount an actual race seat.

Nice setup! If you have the room, a car or van seat from a scrap yard will be more comfortable than a racing seat. I believe that @IfAndOr has such a seat.

Well, i am really in doubt of what to do.. I am working from home, for months already and i'm really missing a good desk chair where i can work from hours at a time. The chair i have now, just simply does not comply. I get backaches after a few hours of work. When i go racing after work, i am sitting in that chair for easily 10 hours on a day ..

I've been looking to buy something like this: https://secretlab.eu/collections/omega-series#omega_2020_softweave-charcoal_blue

It has great reviews but just a bit pricy. My company will sponsor me for 50% of the price, so thats actually very doable. This seat will be used for work and racing together.

I believe that @IfAndOr has such a seat.
You believe incorrectly. :)

It's just an office chair, a comfortable one, but I've replaced the castors with feet. It does lock into various reclined positions though which is beneficial. Similar in some ways to AvolA's omega model. I think that's probably better still though.

My girlfriend entered my mancave on the exact moment the race started. I was not really paying attention to my screen (no, she was not naked) and like a blind shrimp, just rolled straight through the corner and off the track.. got myself disqualified for the first time haha. Obviously, i had to beat my girlfriend up for messing with my race-mojo.

Made me laugh way more than it should. I can definitely relate..
Then she says something like "Its not my fault you can't drive."

Haha, been happen few times to me, the most funny always saying myself that life is in prior, but just watched important calls ringing, been distracted, but raced to finish.

Today was a sad day to me, fall down to the ground, from nearly 1700 to 1580 again. Eh... Damn those reckless drivers and revenge knights.

Hahaha dont get me started. I got launched in a few corners aswell, by some People who probably mistaken the clutch for a brake..

I got one free tip tho, drinking and (sim) driving is a bad idea.. xD

Ive had a few too many of these badboys. Thats one second added to my laptimes.. Atleast

Attachments

• 1589576316739576616597890805859.jpg
    1589576316739576616597890805859.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 13
I had this intense race with my Audi on Monza. You gotta check this out haha.

It was Just a regular start, with some fools not braking. Luckily, i got through 1st corner safely. I had quite a good fight with 2 other (faster) players. Then i had a little surprise at the end hahaha

Never watched that mess in replay, this is so fun. Damn, how some people came to this, no idea.

I dunno, from a side you look pretty good and steady. Only some awareness, because you cut off that Ferrari hard in some corners, so I guess he decided not attempting to pass.

Well, im not that good haha but doing the best i can. Playing this game for 3 weeks now.

In the replay it does look like im cutting off the Ferrari, didnt feel like that ingame. That photo finish was absurd haha, i won by inches. And that guy on P1 who also forgot to change his fuel after quali hahaha, happened to me a few days ago as i mentioned earlier

Well, im not that good haha but doing the best i can. Playing this game for 3 weeks now.

In the replay it does look like im cutting off the Ferrari, didnt feel like that ingame. That photo finish was absurd haha, i won by inches. And that guy on P1 who also forgot to change his fuel after quali hahaha, happened to me a few days ago as i mentioned earlier

The same here, may be a little longer. I did played before but for about few days, then rage uninstalling. Only recently overcome the challenge:).

Some times it starts game straight away, without 2 minutes ready screen. It happened to me too, but I'm usually qualify with full for the actual race tank. Kinda trying not to relay on starting position, and really not a big fan to start at pole on tracks like Monza. I'd better finish third then being destroyed in a beginning.

Yesterday evening was very rewarding for me, and really motivated me to continue my PCARS2 journey and keep pushing! I had such a good race in an online lobby on Hockenheim track, with 12 very clean players. There was no single accident. I qualified on 4th position and managed to finish 4th aswell, with the AUDI GT3 again :P (love that car).

Then, after this race i went to another lobby, racing on Laguna Seca (awesome track). I had never raced this track before in this game (practiced once, but then got disconnected without a reason). Man o man, this was such a blast. I got faster each round, scraping off second by second. I managed to qualify on second place... then i had the most stupid situation i have encountered in PCARS2, sofar. I was not aware that this lobby had a rolling start setup. My girlfriend entered my mancave on the exact moment the race started. I was not really paying attention to my screen (no, she was not naked) and like a blind shrimp, just rolled straight through the corner and off the track.. got myself disqualified for the first time haha. Obviously, i had to beat my girlfriend up for messing with my race-mojo.

Anyways, i had alot of fun. Made some minor settings to the wheel (turned FFB and sensitivity up a bit) and it all felt so good and made me quite fast (in comparison to myself, a few days earlier). This is why i really love this game, these moments (except the #fail on lagunaseca).

So far, these are my three fails:

- Not paying attention to rolling start and rolling off the track, quite gently..
- Not changing the fuel amount from qualification to race, ending up with an empty tank in the final round.. (while on second position)
- Spinning out of a corner, cracking my front window (not able to see clearly anymore in cockpitmode), changing the camera position and while doing so, forgetting to brake for upcoming corner and spinning again.. lost atleast 3 positions while doing so :P

Don't hesitate to share yours ;)

TL&DR: had a blast last night, racing on hockenheim & laguna seca. Failed in the race by not doing anything after rolling start.

Those times when you have a string of good, clean races is very rewarding. For me, I feel like they all seem to come in streaks. I'll have a few nights of good racing, and then comes one of those nights where everyone is out to run each other off the track at every turn. And those turn 1 numbskulls are just a crapshoot as to who they are going to take out.

I love/hate Monza. Fun track, but can rarely get through turn 1 unscathed. Without fail, if I get through the first chicane chaos without being punted, I'll get banged off by the fools coming straight back on track as reckless as possible after the chicane crash-fest. You almost get excited that you've made it, and then out of nowhere, bang! And I'm turned nose first into the wall to the right. Then it's fighting back from last.

And I had that rolling start surprise one time. I joined a lobby late with only two other racers at Red Bull Ring. Race loaded and I was sitting there, hands off the wheel. Suddenly we are rolling through the final turn and I go straight off to the left. Luckily, because it was a small lobby, I didn't hit anyone and got it back on track and in line before the race went green. I didn't get any kind of penalty somehow. But it certainly made me realize not to take it for granted it would be the usual standing start. Now I always try to make sure I look all lobby settings over before I get going.

And that fuel issue; I've somehow overlooked that before too. It's only happened once, but it cost me a win. I always try to make sure I get everything in order before qualifying finishes. That way, in the event it's one of those surprise instant-start lobbies, I'm ready with set up and pit strategy.

As was stated, you seem to be a pretty good racer. Maybe not always the fastest guy out there, but you run clean, consistent laps. You hit your marks, and drive within the limits of your abilities, the track and the car. and that's a very good thing. And that wins you more races than you might think. I try to be the same way.

Really good race. I enjoyed watching that. I hate that replay space is so limited. It's not really my style to do this, but I've had to resort to uploading the replays to Youtube just so I can keep them.

Thanks alot mate. Appreciated! I am halfway from E to D now. Got some very nice clean races tonight. Loved it.

Also had my very first LMP1 experience on Watkins. Where i also never raced before haha. It was with default setups in the Rain. I made it to the 3rd position in 7 Laps, from a grid of 9. I was so happy haha.

Damn those things go like stig :bowdown:

I think i met @Bloodytears today in a lobby! That guy's fast haha. Good race mate!

Got you man. Damn, you know what happened in this race? Mechanical error on pits, so that I spend good minute there repairing inexistent damage:). Sorry for a delay with a request, probably missed that moment.

Back