iRacing - Costs, Setup, Recommendation etc

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 35 comments
Bit of advice to anyone starting out in iRacing, don't go crazy buying heaps of cars. I was told this advice but ended up buying loads of cars that I never use. iRacing is not a game, and you need to sink a lot of time into one car to be competitive so you can't just jump from car to car and be quick straight away. Pick a series and stick with it for a while until you move on.

Just read this new review from RD and they say look elsewhere if you would prefer the road racing route.
http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/04/iracing-review/
Would anyone else agree with that?
-Is there enough online players at European time for road racing?
-Is there enough content, or should I wait until they input the British tracks and BTCC Honda Civic into the sim?

That review doesn't look very objective...The only good thing he can say is oval racing is the best there is everything else seems to be bad!?... really there are no other positive things?

The tyre model could indeed be a bit better. But i don't know any perfect game or sim! All cars can't be driven at low speeds? the car can't be saved? I think the guy need some practise!
Road racing abandoned? since i am on iracing i feel there are more and more drivers. Also i never had any issues whit protests or anything.
Laguna Seca is not exciting?

The only main thing he is very much right about. Its very expensive.

I think road racing is fine. I see more oval races and more oval content but road racing is fun. In my opinion, the rookie road series are cleaner than the rookie oval series. I have had more fun moments on the road racing side compared to the oval racing side.

Just read this new review from RD and they say look elsewhere if you would prefer the road racing route.
http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/04/iracing-review/
Would anyone else agree with that?
-Is there enough online players at European time for road racing?
-Is there enough content, or should I wait until they input the British tracks and BTCC Honda Civic into the sim?

1. No, there is plenty to do if you go road racing. You certainly will find plenty of people to race against in the Rookie up to C-class events. Higher than that tends to get more sparse partly because less people have higher licenses and partly because some of the cars are harder to drive.
Yes there are more people on the Oval side, particularly higher up, but its not like you'll struggle to find races on Road, especially if you race around the evenings.
2. Yes, think about it - in the morning you tend to get Australians and Japanese, during the day Europeans and then in the evening/night time you get North and South Americans. Technically Europe is the best place to be for races around the clock!
3. Well the Civic is likely to be a D or C class car (probably C), so you'll want to get your license up to that before hand anyway. This sim requires a lot of time to be invested to get anywhere near a decent level of speed and consistencey. So its probably wise to start earlier than attempting to jump in later and fast-track.

The beauty of iRacing is its subscription based, so you can stop racing at any time and save some money! So you could try it now, judge whether you like it and then continue to practice, wait for the Civic or stop playing. But at least then you know if you like what you see and if you only get 1 month as a taster you haven't broke the bank to do so.
Its what I did and I was hooked! Even just racing in the Mazda MX5 is good fun, especially as you can win races straight away if you race wise and don't fight the nutters too hard.

You seem to be looking to buy a new computer just for it too?

I suggest you try and find a friend or someone who will let you borrow or play on their computer for a bit. iRacing is browser-based so its just a case of logging on and downloading & installing the software. Only problem is you need to do some transporting with any steering wheels you might have but if you want to save a lot of money it might be wise.
I'd hate to blow 600 quid on a new computer just for 1 game only to find I don't really enjoy it! Try before you buy! Surely there's someone's laptop you could borrow and hook up to a TV or monitor? Just as a quick fire way to try the game without buying a new computer?

Last edited:
Late reply but did you get iRacing?

I have used iRacing on and off for the past three years or so and love it. My reasoning wasn't to really race as much as it was to have access to tracks that I race at in real life, the tracks are spot on.

I have never spent more than $300 on a PC. It does not need a high end computer to work, full graphics sure, but I've always just bought a used dual or quad core PC with decent ram and a decent video card. I had a G27 once the others DFGT. The pedals on the G27 made the biggest difference but my lap times were actually faster in the MX-5 Cup cars with the DFGT.

If you're just looking for competitive fun it's great but there's no replacement for the real thing.

Back