iRacing - Demo?

• Thread starter lfm200
  • 23 comments
Regrettably, no. It was fun for a while, but, the hyper-realistic physics take the difficulty to 11. If you don't have track-driving experience, you won't like it.
If you are a good driver with some practice, you'll love it.

Hello,

Is there a way to experience the game without having to pay a month?

Just try one of the short term subscription. Therefor if you don't like it your not spending too much money, but believe me, I think it is worth it.

But if you search a little there are ways to try it for less. iRacing codes thread a good starting point.

Seems harsh, but it can be hard enough learning the car's behaviour & tracks without having less than careful demo drivers in the rookie level.

Can be great if don't think of it as a game, but as a career/developing experience, right from the beginning.

There is no demo.

You can try some of the codes and promotions that are listed in this thread.

I got a free month from a Radical promotion a while back. While I did like like it, I couldn't justify the expense of paying every month.

daan, on black Friday in the States you can get a annual sub for $49.00 That is a great deal. iRacing is expensive only until you get all your cars and tracks.

I should have added that I also don't have the time to dedicate to it either. Or a decent internet connection.

Sure, there are disadvantages to paying monthly or annually, the main disadvantage be that it is very expensive, then add buying the cars and tracks.

But the main advantage that no non-subscription games can match is that it keeps the majority, not all, but the majority of idiots away that turn every race into a demolition derby.

But as daan said, it is expensive when paying monthly, but if you can find the funds, nothing else comes close. (Besides real life)

Regrettably, no. It was fun for a while, but, the hyper-realistic physics take the difficulty to 11. If you don't have track-driving experience, you won't like it.

You don't need real track time to enjoy iRacing. I've never been able to drive a real car on a track and I love iRacing.

It's not that hard either, but it is very hard to win races. Most of the people take iRacing pretty seriously and put in the practice that you need to to be fairly fast on the track.

I like that iRacing doesn't have a free demo. I actually think alot of people would be turned off by it, because the cars do take time to get use to. If you have to pay a few bucks to try it out, then you might put in the time within a month to get to see what iRacing has to offer.
If you think that $10 is to much to try it out for a month then iRacing probably isn't something you want to get involved in. It can get expensive, but that's one of the reasons that iRacing is great. Unless you really like the game and love to race clean then you won't spend the money it takes to play it. If they dropped the price of the subscription, cars, or tracks very much then I imagine iRacing would end up ruined by people who just want to bash around on the track and ruin people's races.

Don't you have to pay for other cars?

Yes and tracks.

But you get the basic cars (MX5, Street Stock) and some basic tracks when you sign up.

Then it costs $11.95 per car, and $14.95 per track. Some of the older, or more simple ovals are up for $11.95.

I would tell you how much it costs to buy everything, but I'm not so sure myself. It is definitely over $500. Somebody who knows may pop in and tell you exactly.

You get more than that with basic subscription.

MX5 (Cup & roadster)
Street Stock
Legends Ford
Cadillac CTSV
Pontiac Solstice
Spec Racer Ford

And then there is 10 tracks I believe.

You get more than that with basic subscription.

MX5 (Cup & roadster)
Street Stock
Legends Ford
Cadillac CTSV
Pontiac Solstice
Spec Racer Ford

And then there is 10 tracks I believe.

I was using them as examples.
I realise it may have not seemed that way now I look back at it.

A lot of people get hung up on the price. There's much you can do to relieve that pain. The biggest thing I found, besides the group discounts and iRacing codes, is to realize you do not need everything.

Every game has the goal of moving all the way to the highest level, unlocking all the cars, tracks, etc. In iRacing, that's not exactly true. In fact, some of the most highly competitive series are low to mid range cars.

There's no denying the game is expensive. But that price gets you constant updates, a say into the development and schedules, and the best racing experience you can find outside of real life. And once you make it past the initial start up cost (which can be as much or as little, as quickly or slowly as you like), the cost becomes inconsequential.

Don't you have to pay for other cars?

Yes, but the cost of cars is pale in comparison to the cost of tracks.
Also, the cost of cars is of significance only if you like to drive a variety of cars at the same time. It seems to me that many of the competitive drivers (and some non-competitive drivers) in iRacing drive only one or two cars per season.

If you want to drive a bunch of cars at the same time you're going to be paying big bucks for cars and tracks (in the higher license series). If you only drive one car at a time and master it to the best of your ability then it's not hard to keep the cost down.

If you don't have track-driving experience, you won't like it.
What!!!?
99% of the people who enjoy iRacing every day has 0 experience on a track in real life, and many have never even driven a car in real life! so I have no idea where you're coming from with that statement...
And you certainly don't have to be good to enjoy it, the point of iRacing is to be used as a learning tool!

Jav
What!!!?
99% of the people who enjoy iRacing every day has 0 experience on a track in real life, and many have never even driven a car in real life! so I have no idea where you're coming from with that statement...
And you certainly don't have to be good to enjoy it, the point of iRacing is to be used as a learning tool!

I think he meant track experience as in Sim racing, although I could be wrong.

lfm, iRacing is well worth it trust me, it's frustrating at first, but once you figure it out it's fantastic. .. great competition, friendly people (mostly..) and laser scanned tracks, not to mention the fantastic physics, they aren't perfect but are far superior to any other driving/racing game/sim I've played. I stopped playing GT5 months ago and haven't looked back since.. this is coming from someone who played GT5 almost every day and is a huge fan of the series (and still is).

Thought I'd throw my story in here too...
I too come from playing GT5 everyday for a year.
A friend of mine invited me to come to his house to try iRacing, he put me in the V8 Supercar at Philip Island (not the easiest combo for a first timer) but I knew after about 5 laps I had to have iRacing myself, the feeling of everything was a whole new level, I told my mate that's enough, said sorry I've got to go, I went straight home and got signed up to iRacing.
I've loved every minute of it and believe it's worth every dollar they charge.

I see a lot of posts in here saying I'm thinking of trying iRacing...All I can say is...Too much thinking and not enough doing !

I'm tempted to try it out .. but now being able to see how it handles on gamepad makes me wonder ..

and from the look of things it can get quite expensive .. so not sure
I know I don't have to get everything .. but say I want to race on road courses .. and I get to higher tier/level racing .. that also means that I would have to buy the tracks, right?

I'm tempted to try it out .. but now being able to see how it handles on gamepad makes me wonder ..

and from the look of things it can get quite expensive .. so not sure
I know I don't have to get everything .. but say I want to race on road courses .. and I get to higher tier/level racing .. that also means that I would have to buy the tracks, right?

Yep. Say your goal is to race the V8 Supercar, when you get to the appropriate license level you will need to buy the car and at least some tracks in order to run a season. Each season is 12 weeks, and only your best 8 are counted as far as points. Usually a couple of tracks will be the "free" ones that come with every account, so say you need six tracks and a car. About $75~80 from memory.

It gets cheaper each season/car after that obviously, because you already have some tracks. The first one really isn't cheap though.

But the initial subscription is cheap, and by the time you get to the license you want you'll probably have an idea of whether it will be worth it to you.

I'd say buy a wheel first. If your finances are so tight that you can't afford $100 for a DFGT, you're likely going to find iRacing's pricing scheme pretty brutal. At least if you buy a wheel you can use it with other games. Gamepads are fine and there are people that do very well with them, but you're missing out on a lot without a wheel.

Find yourself a cheap deal (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131900) and give it a go. It costs very little to get in a try. Just be prepared that it isn't that cheap if you get into it (compared to other racing games anyway).

Back