Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

iRacing is Developing NASCAR Games for Consoles, PC, and Mobile Platforms

NASCAR and iRacing have today jointly announced that the simulator racing developer has acquired the licence to develop and publish “simulation-style” racing games under the NASCAR name, starting with a console release in 2025...

Last edited:
I've been waiting for years for this to happen again! Same guys that made NR2003!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 180808.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 180808.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 17
Iracing for console would be more appealing
Totally, I like going real fast and turning left…and right. Will be interesting to see how this works out though, maybe some other series will get their own Iracing release on consoles?

I've been waiting for years for this to happen again! Same guys that made NR2003!!
In addition, this would not be their first console game.

The only Papyrus console release of the franchise, the Playstation port was not as well received as the PC version (limitations of hardware did not help, also didn't help that the intro video used teased cars that were not in the final release of the game) but it was still very similar to the PC version, just a bit less. It actually sparked my desire to play more of the PC instances of this game. I only played the original on PCs that weren't mine as I managed to crash a computer at the age of 5 while playing the original version before I played the port. I played NR3 for years before I finally gave up my home PC to a Mac and I still miss the customization of adding tracks (Daytona and Pocono were not in NR PS1, nor in NR3), updated cars and even working with mods for LMP and Group C cars. I never liked NR4 as the requirements became too bulky for my PC and the controls became too difficult for me when it was released so NR2002 and 2003 were never purchased by me and I've only played them 1 or 2 times.

Could be very interesting. I'm not a NASCAR fan, but NR2003 is definitely fun to mess around with and you can see (and feel) how it's basically iRacing but only a little uglier.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to be very excited about this.

I wonder what they mean by “simulation style.”

I hope they lean towards how iRacing feels instead of Heat. Realism doesn’t necessarily mean more difficult when it comes to racing games.

Last edited:
I’m really excited about this, a “simulation-style” (IE GT/Forza levels of realism, not PCARS2 or ACC) console NASCAR game is all I’ve ever really wanted. I’ve never used iRacing (due to the cost/having an older Mac/no wheel or pedals) but if we can get even 85% of their physics that would be wonderful, and hopefully eventually go beyond the current NASCAR cars and tracks and get the older stuff iRacing at least partially has. Would be awesome to have semi-realistic 80s/90s/00s/10s/20s cars and tracks, and things like Modifieds and late models. And it would be nice to have something similar to iRacing’s driver rating system for online.

We haven’t had a truly great console NASCAR game since Thunder 2004 (ok, 2005 was decent also) so this is long overdue, NASCAR always touts how they’re trying to market to a younger audience; newsflash, a good console game is how you do it.

Last edited:
I know we won't get Iracing for console, but if this works they could brand other racing titles with Iracing physics for Indy Car, IMSA / Endurance Racing. That would just be so awesome! GT is good...but I want more real with more people playing it. ACC is the much closer to a sim than GT really is.

The only Papyrus console release of the franchise, the Playstation port was not as well received as the PC version (limitations of hardware did not help, also didn't help that the intro video used teased cars that were not in the final release of the game)
I can certainly believe the hardware limitations part for the PS1 version. It caps at 30 fps, but with AI, you're fortunate to get more than 20 and I've had cases where it drops as low as 5 if you cause a pile-up.

Not suggesting it's bad, I actually love the game quite a bit and it's one of my favorite NASCAR games on that console. However, it's one of the laggiest racing games I've played, and seeing how bad it runs, I wouldn't be surprised if that was why they never made another console game.

Couple of thoughts:
  • Originally I thought they won't do a PC port of their annual NASCAR games, but the presence of the Steam logo on NASCAR's tweet announcing such confirmed otherwise.
  • Given Monster Games is likely to be involved, I am currently expecting it to be still based on the NASCAR Heat code.
  • Gut feeling says this will be a lifetime deal considering nobody else in the business (racing or sports gaming) are seen as worthy with regards to oval racing, if not NASCAR in general.
  • Since they mentioned mobile games also being part of the deal, I expect not only Real Racing 3 will stop doing NASCAR content (do they still do?), but also for iRacing to sit on it since I don't believe iRacing (or anyone in particular) sees mobile games as any good.
In addition, this would not be their first console game.

The only Papyrus console release of the franchise, the Playstation port was not as well received as the PC version (limitations of hardware did not help, also didn't help that the intro video used teased cars that were not in the final release of the game) but it was still very similar to the PC version, just a bit less. It actually sparked my desire to play more of the PC instances of this game. I only played the original on PCs that weren't mine as I managed to crash a computer at the age of 5 while playing the original version before I played the port. I played NR3 for years before I finally gave up my home PC to a Mac and I still miss the customization of adding tracks (Daytona and Pocono were not in NR PS1, nor in NR3), updated cars and even working with mods for LMP and Group C cars. I never liked NR4 as the requirements became too bulky for my PC and the controls became too difficult for me when it was released so NR2002 and 2003 were never purchased by me and I've only played them 1 or 2 times.

There is an Xbox prototype called "NASCAR Racing 5" which was compiled on December 2003 (despite it mostly being N4 assets):

Also, Daytona was actually available for N3 as part of the 2000 Daytona 500 interactive program CD-ROM that includes an one-track demo featuring exactly that - people then immediately copied it to their vanilla N3 installation.

Last edited:
Totally, I like going real fast and turning left…and right. Will be interesting to see how this works out though, maybe some other series will get their own Iracing release on consoles?
Damn this is the internet in 2023, could be RaceSimCentral forum in 2000 what that level of sillyness/typical simracer eliteness.

Developer comes from the pedigree that made Grand Prix Legends, kindly know your history.

Last edited:
Damn this is the internet in 2023, could be RaceSimCentral forum in 2000 what that level of sillyness/typical simracer eliteness.

Developer comes from the pedigree that made Grand Prix Legends, kindly know your history.
What? “Eliteness”? What are referring too?

I never said anything about the origins of iracing, not sure what you’re getting at. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Smart. I can't see their purchase model doing well in the console world, so bundling assets around a brand and formal title release makes sense.

If they have a VR mode for PS5 I'm there.

In the meantime, Motorsport Games still has the Indycar license and it's not remotely funny.
Odds are they won't even be existing after 2023 so that license could still go to someone else.
Couple of thoughts:
  • Originally I thought they won't do a PC port of their annual NASCAR games, but the presence of the Steam logo on NASCAR's tweet announcing such confirmed otherwise.
  • Given Monster Games is likely to be involved, I am currently expecting it to be still based on the NASCAR Heat code.
  • Gut feeling says this will be a lifetime deal considering nobody else in the business (racing or sports gaming) are seen as worthy with regards to oval racing, if not NASCAR in general.
  • Since they mentioned mobile games also being part of the deal, I expect not only Real Racing 3 will stop doing NASCAR content (do they still do?), but also for iRacing to sit on it since I don't believe iRacing (or anyone in particular) sees mobile games as any good.

There is an Xbox prototype called "NASCAR Racing 5" which was compiled on December 2003 (despite it mostly being N4 assets):

Also, Daytona was actually available for N3 as part of the 2000 Daytona 500 interactive program CD-ROM that includes an one-track demo featuring exactly that - people then immediately copied it to their vanilla N3 installation.

After the massive fallout with unity and several devs and companies, I don't see that happening.

Broadly, Myers said he knows NASCAR fans want an immersive experience in the form of a career mode that allows players to create their driver and forge a path toward the Cup Series. It’s basically the Dirt to Daytona concept authored by Monster Games in 2002.
“I think people want a compelling experience, something that makes them feel like they’re doing this thing they love,” Myers told Sportsnaut earlier in the month. “I think they want a fun experience in the sense that they want features and content inside of the game that go beyond the Cup Series, other areas in the sport, be it grassroots and then Trucks and Xfinity.

“I think one of the things we want to be clear is like, everything is going to be a progression.”

“You do kind of have to take a wider approach,” Myers said. “Like, first of all, you develop the game with the game pad in mind, right? That is the big difference.”
“Like every title that we’ve done, whether it’s the World of Outlaws game, the ExoCross game, the Switch game, like all of the development we’ve done, 90 percent of the customers are going to use a gaming pad.”

That isn’t to say there isn’t a place for steering wheel based online lobbies or spaces for consumers who prefer a steering wheel, but that isn’t going to be the core focus of this next-generation NASCAR console game because iRacing already caters to that demographic.

“Because you can’t take that approach, you can’t make a true simulation and be something that you can drive with a gaming pad,” Myers said. “It’s just not possible.
This makes me happy and immediately more interested in the game, though I know it won't please some.
Does seem they will be targeting a GT/Forza level of sim(cade).

This makes me happy and immediately more interested in the game, though I know it won't please some.
Agreed. Everything doesn't have to be full sim, I just want a career mode with a lot of depth. I have no doubt that it will still be good on a wheel anyway.

Agreed, this is a sensible route for them to take I feel.

Back