iRacing Newb. It's a bit overwhelming. :)

• Thread starter Pako
  • 7 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Working on getting back into some R&R with Racing as my focus, I decided to build a proper sim rig. With my 8020 frame, DD1 drive, proper Screen and Computer to run it, I quickly found myself settling into iRacing as a game of choice and for good reason. For the time and effort it takes to setup the hardware, flopping around different games with all the hardware setup just doesn't make sense and iRacing seems to have it all. That is also some of the issue, there is so much to the game, where does a new racer hop in to start having some fun? I've done quite a few practice runs and tried a couple live events, but not really understanding how to track progression. I really have a love for GT style racing so don't see myself doing a lot of dirt, F1, or Nascar so I guess it's good I have some focus there. Not really looking for advise, just giving a shout out to the iRacing community here, but I would certainly not ignore any advise anyone might have.

Cheers, and please don't be that guy that bumps me turn 4. :)

Working on getting back into some R&R with Racing as my focus, I decided to build a proper sim rig. With my 8020 frame, DD1 drive, proper Screen and Computer to run it, I quickly found myself settling into iRacing as a game of choice and for good reason. For the time and effort it takes to setup the hardware, flopping around different games with all the hardware setup just doesn't make sense and iRacing seems to have it all. That is also some of the issue, there is so much to the game, where does a new racer hop in to start having some fun? I've done quite a few practice runs and tried a couple live events, but not really understanding how to track progression. I really have a love for GT style racing so don't see myself doing a lot of dirt, F1, or Nascar so I guess it's good I have some focus there. Not really looking for advise, just giving a shout out to the iRacing community here, but I would certainly not ignore any advise anyone might have.

Tracking your progression is easily one of the most overwhelming things when you first start out (obviously other than setting the game up and getting your controls set). Also, how and when to race what can be overwhelming too. Especially with the new UI that literally officially launched just a couple weeks ago. (I struggle with it, soooo yeah. Can't help you much there.)

Tracking progression is actually pretty simple. You have a Safety Rating (SR) requirement and a Minimum Participation Requirement (MPR) requirement.

First, you have to make sure you complete your MPR. MPR completion requires completing 4 official races in your licenses class. Without MPR, you cannot advance licensing.

Then you have to make sure your SR is good to go. Your SR has to be 3.00 or higher to advance to the next license class. However your license will not jump until the season is completed. Most official series run a 12 week schedule known as the season. We just started 2020 Season 4. It switches over to week two of the season in about 10 hours from time of posting this. However, you can advance your license early if your SR reaches 4.00.

Hey man, only advice I'll give is to "don't worry about race wins, worry about your Safety Rating". You prob already knew that though. Not having Incidents is the best and fastest way to get your license up to C so you can run the better series. Not sure if better is the right word - as some of the lower cars/series can be a lot of fun.

I hear'ya on the GT racing too, I love tin-tops - I do the 3-hour VRS Endurance races on Saturday (well, they do Sat & Sun, but I can't do both days) and love it. You and 1 or 2 other team mates run the race together. Basically the race is three 1-hour stints (on fuel/tire consumption). If there are three of you, you each do a stint, and if there are two of you (which is how most run the 3 hour event) then 1 person does an hour and the other does two. For example, this past Saturday, we ran the VRS Endurance race at Catalunya, and the guy I was racing with had plans for later and wasn't going to be around for the entire 3 plus hour race (Quali + Race time ends up being ~3:20-25 minutes). So, he jumped in the car and qualified, did the first hour and when he pitted I jumped in and did the next two stints. He did 33 laps and I did 65... and he had to leave about halfway through the second hour as he had made plans with his dad.

That, my friend is a total blast and why I really enjoy iRacing. Plus, I joined a league and do racing over there, and they run different cars/series on different nights. It's not an official iRacing league (which means you don't get iRacing SA or IRating for it) so you don't gain or lose SA or IRating. Which I'm okay with, as it's just a group of racers racing. We are starting our GT3 Season tonight - it follows the VRS Sprint series on iRacing - so tonight we do Catalunya, and then Round 2 will be Brands Hatch (which is what iRacing will be running this week). There are quite a few different leagues to look at and suggest you do as it's fun to race with the same people week after week. Here is the link to the PRL GT3 Series.

And just to mention, I think you made a good choice on a racing game (or sim, if you will) as I used to race on PS4 with a group that have mostly moved over to PC and refuse to buy iRacing, or even TRY it, stating cost as the deterrent. However, they have ALL bought numerous other games to satisfy their racing needs. Now, I have other games too, and I don't care what anyone buys, but if you want to race a lot, or a lot of different stuff, and race it online with PEOPLE, then iRacing does it the best - to me anyway. If you ever want to run an endurance race sometime, hit me up. 👍

See'ya turn 4! :mischievous:

Once you get to C licence my advice is to switch from "safety rating is all that matters" to "iRating matters the most".

Getting results will improve your rating and get you in splits with better drivers. Your safety rating will then take care of itself as the better drivers are generally safer to race alongside.

Also this game costs a tonne of money in order to keep getting enjoyment from it week after week. Sites like: https://www.irbg.net/ will help you plan which cars and tracks to buy.

Pako, I am going onto 10 years in the service (iRacing service) and I am strictly a road racer. Although I own 100% of the content, which helps support the service. My first year, all I did was hot lap and practice. I read so much about learn your race craft, do 20 laps with no incidents, etc. etc. ... Well that's true to an extent, my advice, get on the track and enter some practices and just be respectful.

Too many racers try to win the race on the first lap, too many won't let faster cars pass. The idea is to make as many laps safely with few incidents, once you accomplish that, the speed and racecraft will get better.

Daz555 makes some good points, stick with what you know and what you like when you start out. After you can purchase additional content if you choose to. I purchased everything over time and when you buy in threes and six's you save big money. I think I automatically get 33% off being a 100% content owner with each new purchase.

My final thought for you Pako, you seem to know and understand what you are looking for in iRacing and the service is looking for folks just like you. You have a great attitude going in to it, I think you will succeed very well.

Last edited:

VRS… overlays n telemetry
OBS.. to display overlays
CREW CHIEF. Team manager info as you drive n helps with pits in lots of games
RACE LAB.. again telemetry n more
TRADING PAINT. Changes your paint job more choice than i racing.

open them b4 iracing n relax they got you covered. Enjoy

VRS… overlays n telemetry
OBS.. to display overlays
CREW CHIEF. Team manager info as you drive n helps with pits in lots of games
RACE LAB.. again telemetry n more
TRADING PAINT. Changes your paint job more choice than i racing.

open them b4 iracing n relax they got you covered. Enjoy
There is a great utility called iRacingManager that can auto open these programs for you - super handy.

Latest Posts

Back