VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
I have a few questions for you guys who play iRacing;

1) Can you turn off that voice that tells you when others are besides you?

2) Can that voice be set to off for the entire room?

3) Can the chat function between players be truned off individually & globally

4) Is there an option (or a way) of removing the on screen steering wheel?

Thanks.

Last edited:
VBR

2) Can that voice be set to off for the entire room?

4) Can the chat function between players be truned off individually & globally

3) Is there an option (or a way) of removing the on screen steering wheel?

Thanks.

Sorry if I have misunderstood some of your questions but ill try my best.

1) yes you can turn off the spotter

2) no. Only each individual person can turn it off in their options

4) chat can be disabled individually and in hosted sessions, globally by an admin

3) sure is

Oops, for 4 if you mean voice chat you can mute individual drivers as well as everyone in the session with the press of a button

This is the Spotter. Yes, when you enter the race under Options and Sounds you can adjust spotter settings and turn it off. why do you want to turn it off? It is not critical to have it on, but it is helpful if you only have one screen.

Thanks.

Thanks for your answers guys, very helpful. :)

...you can adjust spotter settings and turn it off. why do you want to turn it off?

I'd be interested in a totally immersive simulation experience, & I've never seen drivers in real life motor sport being warned by a spotter everytime someone gpoes to overtake. In my opinion, it takes away from driver skill as you should know where people are by using the mirrors & look left/right buttons. Same goes for chatting, never seen that in any real world motor sport, if I wanna chat with you I'll ask for your phone number! ;)

VBR
I'd be interested in a totally immersive simulation experience, & I've never seen drivers in real life motor sport being warned by a spotter everytime someone gpoes to overtake. In my opinion, it takes away from driver skill as you should know where people are by using the mirrors & look left/right buttons. Same goes for chatting, never seen that in any real world motor sport, if I wanna chat with you I'll ask for your phone number! ;)

Okay, I can understand the bit I put in bold... But the other bit isn't true. In real life it is purely driver choice whether they want the spotter to talk to them and warn them etc, some professional drivers don't like it, for example Kimi Raikonnen- "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing". But a lot of other drivers do like it as they can concentrate on the race without having to look in the mirrors all the time. It's the same in iRacing, I'm sure most use it so they don't have to look left and right constantly to check for cars.

It's your choice, but quite often it is very useful.

I'd recommend keeping your spotter on though, just saying..

And in real life your not looking into a screen either. I use 3 screens to have a wider look at the iRacing world, but I find the spotter very useful and have saved me from crashing a lot. But it's a drivers choice of course ;)

The spotter is very useful. Besides normal spotter advice, when someone is crashed or stuck on the track in front of you the spotter will warn you so you can avoid it and tell you which part of the track the car is stopped in. This has saved me from many accidents.

To compare it again whit GT5 were i had many troubles to know were others are when going side by side. Whit the virtual rear mirror and the spotter i can race very clean. I would recommend everyone to use the spotter.

The spotter is very useful. Besides normal spotter advice, when someone is crashed or stuck on the track in front of you the spotter will warn you so you can avoid it and tell you which part of the track the car is stopped in. This has saved me from many accidents.
To compare it again whit GT5 were i had many troubles to know were others are when going side by side. Whit the virtual rear mirror and the spotter i can race very clean. I would recommend everyone to use the spotter.

I agree 100%. Although it may not be everyone's favourite feature, it will easily help you complete more races without incidents.
I also find it allows for closer racing through a corner because I know (and hopefully the other driver knows) there is someone right beside me and lines are altered in order to get both drivers through. All in all it make my races better 👍

When I first started iRacing I didn't use the spotter, then someone said to me, if I take someone out because I wasn't too sure if they were beside me or not, then say I don't use the spotter because it's not realistic, thats not an excuse the guy I've just taken out is going to accept.
I have my spotter set to minimum, they'll say when someone pulls along side and then when your clear and thats it. It's not enough to distract you but enough to insure you don't ruin someone else's race.

And in real racing I would just turn my head without pressing a button.

I turn my spotters voice off and just use him in large text, I have my a/v receiver turned very loud and the spotters voice interferes with the engine rumble.

I did that, the problem is when the spotters voice comes on it cuts out all engine sounds. I got use to reading the text, most racers know when the spotter is going to provide information, like when a faster car is approaching or a car on either side. A crash up ahead, I use the Jimmy Johnson pack and it is kind of funny the things they say, it's just I prefer a loud engine too their talking.

This is probably not the time and place, but the things you describe happened to me when it comes to the new radio in the sim. Sometimes when people talk on any channel it sounds like it have higher priority than my engine. Never happened when my spotter talks, but I might have been lucky.

I heard people say the sound in iRacing is so good, compared to eg GT5, but I can't seem to hear that. I think it's way to loud and I don't mean I can't turn my volume down, but the sounds seem to be compressed so it will be audible on the worst of PC speakers. But it seems to be overdone. In most cases when I clip a curb the sound from the engine is already maxed out so the sound from the wheel hitting the curb is distorted and only produce a scraping sound in my speakers. And it doesn't help to turn the volume down, because it's not my amplifier or speakers that are maxed out.

To explain I will move over to the music industry, because it happening a lot here as well. And it's here it all started!

Here is a video explaining it

I noticed this when playing sounds from other programs on my computer when I drove. Like TeamSpeak. When pressing ALT+TAB to adjust the iRacing volume in sound mixer in Windows I ended up all the way down on 50% before it was at the same level as TeamSpeak witch tell me somebody played to hard with their sound compressor in iRacing. Also backed up with distorted sound in the sim.

And to information my hobby before iRacing was High End sound systems and I took that hobby further than most so I learned a lot. Any questions I' gladly respond.

So playing this loud Left888 will most likely kill your hearing or your speakers.
iRacing made it this way because they want it to audible on the the cheapest kind of speakers. I think their policy is to make the sim work on low end equipment, and I understand that. But buying high end equipment to try repair the sound is waste of money, because high end equipment only amplify the mistakes done to it.

It's like buying a 1 million dollar stereo and put Britney spears into the CD slot.. Not to talk bad about Britney, but you will get way better sound of it from your TV.. Because the high end system will only reveal the crappy production.

EDIT:
Doh forgot to say what I did to make it better.

Like I said I went into windows when the sim is running, ALT+TAB when in the sim. Turned the volume down to 50% in the sound mixer(optional), and I went into option to turn the sounds way down. Not sure the values, but it's about 50% of their adjusting band in option screen.

Then turn your volume up on your receiver instead if you feel the sound is too weak ;)

Still sound's a bit digital in my opinion, but the sound clipping is down to a minimum ;)

Last edited:
Now we are busy whit noob questions, i have some more things to ask. :embarrassed:

1) How does the auto pit limiter work?

2) Do you gain more Irating points if the gap is bigger?

3) at the FPS screen. What do the bars mean again?

4) After the last big update. My FPS drops every now and then. I limited my FPS whit 130. Before the update on full graphics it was never gone any lower.
I am thinking its becaus the 64-bit thing + the improved graphics. Atleast i hope. Do you guys experience the same thing?

5) What is the purpose of TT-rating. I can't see it?

6) How do you remove the "@drivers" from your HUD?

1. You have to start driving with your mouse or touch screen to take advantage of the auto pit limiter

2. someone else have to answer, not into the rating system and I just let it calculate it for me

3 FPS - Frames pr second, Latency - ping to server - Sync to server, Page faults, and the new thing is FFB meter.

4. I did notice a bit of a drop, but I had to put my SLI configuation in Windows to point to the iRacing64.exe instead of the "normal" one and it was back. If you have only one Graphics card this isn't something to worry about.

5 TT-Rating is rating for the time trial, the purpose.. same as other ratings I guess.

6. You cannot remove the radio channels from your HUD, but you can create a channel when you join the room called "." this way you see a smaller channel @. and it wont take up so much of the mirror if that's the case.

You will still be able to listen to @DRIVERS but to talk there you have to change back to the channel or you just talk into the dot ;)

Last edited:
thx for the quick reply

1. You have to start driving with your mouse or touch screen to take advantage of the auto pit limiter
- Thats not gonna happen :rolleyes:

2. someone else have to answer, not into the rating system and I just let it calculate it for me
- Well i let it also calculate it for me, but i was just wondering...

Then turn your volume up on your receiver instead if you feel the sound is too weak ;)

Still sound's a bit digital in my opinion, but the sound clipping is down to a minimum ;)

You won't get much argument from me on the music today, I still prefer the sound of vinyl LP's. In iRacing I use an optic out to optic in on my Pioneer A/V receiver. I would not class it high end by any means. It's a mid level class D which pales to my old Sansui G33000 class A amp.

However in iRacing, when the spotter speaks, it cuts out the engine momentarily, then does the same thing when he stops talking. While iRacings engine audio is no show stopper it can be tuned to give an exceptable engine sound and that's all that I care about. Really it's my 12" sub woofer that gives the much needed low end punch. Audio is the forgotten corner of iRacing up till now, well at least very soon they are making improvements.

I am happy with the engine sounds coming from my sound system, it adds immersion to my rig. I have SimVibe, which gives an added immersion also along with triple monitors, button boxes etc..

Lots of people have beautiful rigs but they forget the audio, I realize not everyone can crank up their stereo at 3:00 am. iRacing is an immersion package waiting to happen. :)

Last edited:
thx for the quick reply

- Well i let it also calculate it for me, but i was just wondering...
Nope, the gap has nothing to do with it. Is directly dependant on SOF and where you finish the race. The higher iRated people you beat the higher your iRating will be, if you drop a spot you are already loosing iR to those in front of you, if you gain a spot you're taking iR from those behind, the further behind in the standings the more you loose.

So Basically if everyone have the same irating and i win the race i will gain the same amount on everyone, It does not matter they end second or last? behind me is behind.

If i have lower irating i will gain more, higher less will be one. ok got it i think.

and thx erik the link is very usefull.

So Basically if everyone have the same irating and i win the race i will gain the same amount on everyone, It does not matter they end second or last? behind me is behind.

That's my understanding of it. ELO as a system doesn't discriminate by how much you win, it's purely a win/loss system that gains accuracy from the amount of samples it takes.

Unless you have a massively high or low iRating, if you finish mid-pack you will usually not gain or lose any iRating (plus or minus ten points or so). Higher finishes will gain you some, lower finishes will lose you some. It's a good incentive not to quit out of races, if you finish the race you'll usually be mid-pack simply because of the amount of people that *will* quit after they have an incident.

That's my understanding of it. ELO as a system doesn't discriminate by how much you win, it's purely a win/loss system that gains accuracy from the amount of samples it takes.

Unless you have a massively high or low iRating, if you finish mid-pack you will usually not gain or lose any iRating (plus or minus ten points or so). Higher finishes will gain you some, lower finishes will lose you some. It's a good incentive not to quit out of races, if you finish the race you'll usually be mid-pack simply because of the amount of people that *will* quit after they have an incident.

I notice. I often gain some places becaus i don't quit. But even if i can't gain anything and being last. I never quit(unless my car is broken or i have to), its not in my nature to quit. It is not fun for other drivers. If they beat me on the track becaus they are faster, so be it. When i am winning, I personally like it more when everybody is still in the race. Its stupid when you win and everyone left becaus they did a mistake or just can't follow the pace. Quiting is for losers.

Anyway, yesterday i had someone in my race whit +7000 irating. He won. There were 8 other drivers. the others were around 2000IR and a few under 1000IR. I understand you gain not much when the IRating is that high. But he only gained (+4) this means he didn't gain anything from the half of the field. Thats strange to me. He should gain atleast +1 to everyone.

Does anybody know how you can watch replays whitout the banners(or how do you call it?) at the top of the screen and at the bottom where you can changereplay options. like rewinding, changing view or driver?

I'll throw a couple of newb questions out.

1. Does the steering wheel of the MX5 cup car really only turn 90* in each direction or am I doing something wrong? Sometimes when I spin out, I feel like I would be able to catch it if I could throw just a little more opposite lock on it. I'm using a G27 by the way.

2. I read a little about fuel management and starting with less fuel when qualifying. Is there a how-to guide somewhere that explains this?

3. Anything else that fits the statement "Every newbie should know this..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back