Iracing to GT6 question

• Thread starter select20
  • 10 comments
United States
SC
select_21@yahoo.com
Infantry11b4
Hey folks, no I'm not going back to GT6 for any length of time other than to participate in the GT Academy for fun. Just had a question about it. How do you Iracers/Real Sim racers feel when you've gone back to GT6? Anything like I'm about to post? Just curious really.

I have been doing Iracing on and off since 2010, but really had time to put into it starting this past summer. Got 2 seasons under my belt with Skip and having a blast getting ready to move into C class stuff.

Anyways, to my question. I got my old PS3 out of some boxes, loaded up GT6 and, if I'm being honest, I can't believe how realistic I used to think it was. I was running the round 1 part of GT Academy with the GTR at Silverstone and my Iracing instincts were kicking in on how I should correct the car in different situations. Of course 99% of those instincts are wasted on GT6 because you just can't use them.

I'm not bashing GT6, it's a fun game for what it is, and the GT series is what got me loving racing way back when the GT1 came out and i was a young boy. I've owned them all since. I'm just making an observation on how different GT6 is compared to a real, or more realistic, driving simulator. Which after having been in Iracing for a time, I can't even call GT6 a simulator, it's not even close. When just regular racing it's fun. But when racing for time, it's frustrating.

But yeah, just felt like posting that observation since I had gone back today for fun. I got a good time, in the top 5000 after about 20 laps. Just didn't feel like pushing more because I just didn't get any sense of fulfillment in it like I do driving Skippy, SRF or even the Star Mazda.

Cheers

Feel exactly the same, have been doing iracing now almost exclusively for nearly a year and i can't beleave how bad GT6 feels when i go back to it. It also annoys me how strong the FFB is in GT6, even on the lowest setting it's still much more resistance than iracing just below the point where the FBB starts clipping.

Feel exactly the same, have been doing iracing now almost exclusively for nearly a year and i can't beleave how bad GT6 feels when i go back to it. It also annoys me how strong the FFB is in GT6, even on the lowest setting it's still much more resistance than iracing just below the point where the FBB starts clipping.

Interesting, the FFB in GT6 (my settings are 9, 7) are comparatively much weaker than GT5 using the G27. Can't imagine what iRacing FFB feels like. Air? Maybe I'm not understanding the comparison accurately.

Interesting, the FFB in GT6 (my settings are 9, 7) are comparatively much weaker than GT5 using the G27. Can't imagine what iRacing FFB feels like. Air? Maybe I'm not understanding the comparison accurately.

It is weaker in some cars for sure. But imo that's more realistic at speeds. When sitting still, I can turn the wheel but ti's really heavy. At speed it's pretty light when the road is smooth but you get some hard hits to the FFB sometimes when hitting bumps. One thing that annoys me in GT6 is I can be going down the straight and the FFB starts bouncing from right to left, I'm not sure what is up with that. And if I let go of the wheel it starts swerving left and right. *Shrugs... who knows.

I bought a cheap used copy of GT6 to take a shot at GT Academy, and I too was shocked by how bad it feels. There's no feel through the wheel, complete lack of weight transfer, and hideously annoying tire squeal. Not to mention the horrendous understeer in the GT-R... As a game, the GT series has some neat features and gimmicks, but the physics, sound, and quality of racing lack severely compared to iRacing, IMO. If only there were a way to get the best of both in one game/sim.

I think how the heck did I ever think this is realistic. It's actually really bad to switch between sim and arcade games as it messes with your head so when you go back to iRacing it will feel very strange and takes a while to adjust to again.

I agree. I only very occasionally go back to GT6 and even then it is just mucking around sat on the sofa using the controller. I don't see the point of hooking up the wheel as to me it just feels terrible.

I think the PS4 guys, who haven't tried PC sims, are going to be in for quite a shock when they discover the physics of Project CARS is so much better than GT6 (IMHO) - much much closer physics to iRacing than GT6 is.

I agree. I only very occasionally go back to GT6 and even then it is just mucking around sat on the sofa using the controller. I don't see the point of hooking up the wheel as to me it just feels terrible.

I think the PS4 guys, who haven't tried PC sims, are going to be in for quite a shock when they discover the physics of Project CARS is so much better than GT6 (IMHO) - much much closer physics to iRacing than GT6 is.

Its funny because I don't even play console racers with a wheel anymore. More fun to play racers taht aren't realistic without a wheel imo. However, with project cars, I might have to buy a Thrustmaster.

I've never been a fan of GT6's physics, but after spending a lot of time playing iRacing, GT6 feels worse than ever. The main problem is that you have to push extremely hard to get the maximum grip from the tyres, and this makes any handling deficiencies in the car feel ten times worse. If you try to drive smoothly, you'll just end up being slow. iRacing is the polar opposite; any aggressive driving causes the tyres to lose substantial grip, so you have to be very smooth to get the most out of the car. This makes it much easier (and much less tiring mentally) to drive on the limit consistently in iRacing.

Two years ago, I played GT5 almost exclusively. I tried iRacing shortly before receiving GT6 for Christmas, and I was immediately impressed. Over time, I found myself gradually transitioning from GT6 to iRacing, to the point where the only reason I played GT6 at all was to prepare for GT Academy, and then I found out that 2013 and 2014 national finalists from Europe aren't eligible to compete; I haven't touched GT6 since.

After 5 months of iRacing I came back to GT6 (after freaking 4 hours of patching!) for the GT Academy. But only after about 10 minutes I had to give up. The physics were really bad. And the FFB was very bad. I have the CSW Base V2 and really, it was horrible. Last year in summer I found my way back to PC-Sims, after a PS3 and X360 period of 3-4 years. I played the hell out of GT5 and a bit of FM4. But hell, there is no way for me to go back to GT or FM anymore. Not even GT7. Going to sell my base V2 and upgrade to an OSW.

Back