iRacing's New Damage Model Looks Amazing

The damage model looks to be one of the best out there. I can't wait for them to release it.

I've been going through withdrawals from not being able to race for over a month. Broke my arm and had to have surgery. Watching this video makes me want to get back even more. Hopefully I recover in a month or so.

Man, is it so hard to just get someone who knows how to drive? In this gameplay, the drivers just kept crashing jeez get someone who knows how to play the game!....... Bwoah! I'm just kidding! chilllax :D
But seriously though, the damage looks great. It would be extra cool it the cars could behave a lot more like real life with how they react to impact that sorta thing. But this is really cool progress. I seriously need a new Computer, my potato just can't run modern games :cheers:

Relatively new to iracing, I've see a couple crazy crashes in the ferrari gt3 rolling starts this will make them even more spectacular :lol:

The damage model looks to be one of the best out there. I can't wait for them to release it.

I've been going through withdrawals from not being able to race for over a month. Broke my arm and had to have surgery. Watching this video makes me want to get back even more. Hopefully I recover in a month or so.

Sorry to hear about your injury dawg i'm sure you'll come back stronger.

Now when Max Verstappen will crash us out of the race we no longer have to be sad because we would be rewarded with some cool action....
Fixed for you :D

Btw nice damage model... Pity i am not the CEO of a bank so i cannot afford the crazy prices of this game... :D

No consideration on how manufacturer contracts restrict much of the realism?
Totally right... I know for example that GT didnt had a damage model cause some manufacturers wanted to see thei cars destroyed in driving games... They think is bad advertising for them to see their cars damaged so they restrict that to get their license...
Maybe iRacing had a different agreement for that... probably to pay that agreement players will have to pay an extra subscription for the new damage model (200$ per year instead 150$ ? :P )

Totally right... I know for example that GT didnt had a damage model cause some manufacturers wanted to see thei cars destroyed in driving games... They think is bad advertising for them to see their cars damaged so they restrict that to get their license...
Maybe iRacing had a different agreement for that... probably to pay that agreement players will have to pay an extra subscription for the new damage model (200$ per year instead 150$ ? :P )

Maybe back then GT visually looks too real while iRacing is still obviously a "game" from the general population :dunce:, therefore it is thought that people could get confused if there are crashes in GT.... :dopey:

Don't yell at me, just being the devil's advocate... :embarrassed::D

Great compilation of the careers of Robby Gordon, J.P.M. and Danica. LOL.....

Awesome job by iRacing to take their simulator to the next level.

Seven years after BeamNG posted a more convincing tech video of their advanced damage model, since then used in BeamNG.drive, i'm far to be amazed. All this "excitement" should just reminds us how far crash realism lags behind other parts of today's racing games.

This is great and all (and I've played my fair share of Rigs of Rods, where the tech for this "originated" around 2005), but it still wasn't a massive step up from the physics engines of the '90s in many ways. I'm immediately thinking of Carmageddon 2, or perhaps any Papyrus title post 1997. Of course, Dave Kaemmer of Papyrus now heads up iRacing, soo...

Maybe the real issue is the difficulty of combining that level of complexity with an authentic sim racing experience?

Seven years after BeamNG posted a more convincing tech video of their advanced damage model, since then used in BeamNG.drive, i'm far to be amazed. All this "excitement" should just reminds us how far crash realism lags behind other parts of today's racing games.

you also have to remember that BeamNG is simulating 2-5 cars at the most, iRacing is doing up to 40 cars or more. we dont have the computing power to simulator j-beam damage modeling with 40+ other cars. especially if there is a crash, it would destroy the video cards

This is great and all (and I've played my fair share of Rigs of Rods, where the tech for this "originated" around 2005), but it still wasn't a massive step up from the physics engines of the '90s in many ways. I'm immediately thinking of Carmageddon 2, or perhaps any Papyrus title post 1997. Of course, Dave Kaemmer of Papyrus now heads up iRacing, soo...

Maybe the real issue is the difficulty of combining that level of complexity with an authentic sim racing experience?

Carmageddon 2 definitely had a great damage engine, but the cars were really basic

Last edited by a moderator:
Relatively new to iracing, I've see a couple crazy crashes in the ferrari gt3 rolling starts this will make them even more spectacular :lol:

I would definitely save every replay for the first few weeks, maybe month :lol:

Sorry to hear about your injury dawg i'm sure you'll come back stronger.

Thanks Monkey. I just tried to do things that I am too old to be doing :banghead:. Hate getting old. They put a plate and 10 screws in. So, apparently it was pretty bad. My wife wanted to kill me :scared:. But, I will recover and hopefully will get back to at least 80-90%.

Carmageddon 2 definitely had a great damage engine, but the cars were really basic
Of course they were, it was 1998! It still works on higher poly models today. The deformation itself is all done in software (CPU), physically "simulated" in a similar way to the "realistic" BeamNG approach, just with far fewer vertices (elements) because of the much (much) lower computing power available when launched. The overall simulation environment was surprisingly detailed, like a proper physics sandbox, and the vehicle dynamics options were as comprehensive as a sim (great for mods back in the day), but obviously it was all tuned for "entertainment" purposes...

My point was, really, that physics is physics and pretty much always has been - our understanding of most "terrestrial" situations was codified by Newton in the 17th century, and he built on earlier work than that even. Lots of work in between to make certain problems more tractable, basically forming the basis of what we now call "classical" mechanics (as opposed to e.g. quantum or relativistic mechanics). Computational methods really took off in the '60s, so we were just waiting for real-time computational power to catch up to our imaginations.

The games I mentioned are examples that took a more detailed approach from the outset, by choice, rather than abstracting away a lot of the complexity in lookups or more constrained models that would have been cheaper to run in real time. These were essentially already full multi-body models with "deformable" / detachable aspects added in where it made the most difference. Compare to other games of the era and it's clear this was far from the norm. In many ways, BeamNG is a "brute force" approach, by comparison - i.e. "needlessly" expensive to run (but also fun!).

In Grand Prix Legends (also 1998), a notorious system hog in its day*, and in its eventual successor (and zenith of the Papyrus-era games) NASCAR Racing 2003, the suspension and chassis alignment was deformable, and there was also a bit of body deformation. Given iRacing was initially an offshoot of the NR2003 codebase, it's not surprising that this is the direction they've taken it - it was the direction they had all along.

In Carmageddon, it was exaggerated somewhat, for fun, but it also probably meant they could turn the tick rate down for performance; hence also the low poly graphics.

LGR did a concise review here.

* It was developed on and, thanks to four separate threads in the software, ran best on multi processor machines (note: separate processors entirely; consumer dual core x86 CPUs first appeared in around 2004, quad cores shortly after). This was out of necessity due to the complexity of the physics and 3D graphics in particular at the time.

No consideration on how manufacturer contracts restrict much of the realism?
you also have to remember that BeamNG is simulating 2-5 cars at the most, iRacing is doing up to 40 cars or more. we dont have the computing power to simulator j-beam damage modeling with 40+ other cars. especially if there is a crash, it would destroy the video cards
The why is out of scope of my message since i was commenting the usage of the article title promise that i'll be amazed ;)
I'm aware of theses constraints, even if the manufacturer one is also convenient.

Speaking of late 90's, the most extreme damage system i saw then is 1998 Dodge Licence based PC game "Viper Racing": Each impact on the car is deforming it a bit more depending of direction and force of impact. There's a kind of debug metal ball mode (hidden? i played on a preview build) mode were you can shoot cars with heavy balls in front of you and test the deformation system. You can still drive heavily deformed cars.
viper-racing_6.jpg

That's not even the worse you can get :D
That kind of damage would be irrelevant in modern not that simplistic game models.

There were also a very cool playing view showing suspensions at work:
viper-racing_22.png

Viper Racing is a classic. Another from 1998, indeed - what a year!

The physics were pretty good, totally forgot about the damage model, though, thanks!

I would definitely save every replay for the first few weeks, maybe month :lol:

Thanks Monkey. I just tried to do things that I am too old to be doing :banghead:. Hate getting old. They put a plate and 10 screws in. So, apparently it was pretty bad. My wife wanted to kill me :scared:. But, I will recover and hopefully will get back to at least 80-90%.

I could do a montage of crazy starts:lol:
A plate and 10 screws :eek: Must have hurt. We do need things that keep us youthful though. As long as you have the enthusiasm and are getting enjoyment you'll recover your speed.

Latest Posts

Back