Is an All-New Professional Motorsports Series Needed?

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 35 comments
And increased viewership in new markets through online streaming...

I don't think the increase in streaming viewership is really as great as it may seem. First off is the fact most streaming is over free services like Youtube, so the series doesn't get money like they do from traditional TV deals. Some series' have tried the paid service route, but those seem to be a mixed bag with some even getting the same geoblock treatment free streams get. It would be interesting to see subscriber numbers to some of these services as well since a fair number of people seemingly hate the idea of paying for streaming services.

Secondly you have the fact that teams more and more rely on regional sponsors, so those increased numbers may not be all that appealing since they don't do international business.

When you look around the World for Professional Race series there isn't many, most racing series require you to pay money for a seat that isn't exactly professional, professional means being paid to X.

There is no doubt Racing as a whole has been in decline for awhile, it's time to start merging series and trim the fat.

You raise an interesting point but I'm trying to think of when top-level motorsports was majoratively professional.

You're right in saying that a lot of racing series seats are quite dependent on drivers paying for the ride instead of being paid but this has been pretty much true since racing began; gentleman drivers turned into pay drivers. "Professional" drivers have always been a minority and drivers like Alonso, Schumacher, Häkkinen all started out as pay drivers or sponsored drivers to some extent.

That said, I think there is a clear differentiation to make between:

Professional driver, n.

1) A racing driver who is paid to race.

2) A racing driver wherein motor racing is the profession; i.e. he is not a part-time or amateur competitor.

BTCC is not sustainable though, most of the grid only commits to the series a year at a time and is one economic recession away from not existing as a series.

But the BTCC has always been this way. As Furinkazen states, it was only a small window during the prime SuperTouring era when loads of manufacturers were interested in competing and had pockets deep enough to throw money at paid drivers. Drivers who pay for their drive, in one way or another, have always been the core of the BTCC. The BTCC has survived through recessions in the early 60's, mid 70's, early 80's and 90's and the financial crisis of 2008. As long as it continues to pull strong crowds, and i don't see why it wouldn't, it will survive through evolving as and when it needs to.

We will see then I guess, it just doesn't look healthy when despite large grids and good crowds most of the grid only confirms partication a season at a time.

I think long term BTCC needs to fuze with WTCR

Sorry, but that's one of the most ridiculous suggestions I've ever heard in the context of what the BTCC needs to do.

Super GT and DTM have to Fuze together at some point too, that is heavily manufacturer dependent though and doesn't really look to be in any real danger long term.

DTM was on the brink of collapse since Mercedes announced their withdrawal because it's entirely manufacturer dependent, and DTM and SuperGT will share Class One regs as a matter of survival because at least one of the two series' is in danger.

We will see then I guess, it just doesn't look healthy when despite large grids and good crowds most of the grid only confirms partication a season at a time.

So, the biggest crowds at the tracks that they see all year, a free-to-air TV deal, packed grids... and you're saying it doesn't look healthy because some people only commit one season at a time...??? That's the nature of sponsorship, and it doesn't matter if drivers are "professional" or not, even manufacturer backed programs don't get/give that long term commitments because that's how business works. Just because people don't commit doesn't mean to say they won't find money to race with and being "professional" is no guarantee of longevity. The fact that 35-40 drivers put everything they can into getting onto the grid each year is part of the spirit of the sport, and a testament to the passion involved.

Do you ever actually go to any races?

BTCC is not sustainable though, most of the grid only commits to the series a year at a time and is one economic recession away from not existing as a series.

I'll debunk that as again it's proof you clearly don't know what you're talking about and run through the grid real quick.

Dynamics - been committed since 1993.

BTC Racing - in year 3 of a 5 year programme.

Simpson - using customer cars, type of entry that could drop any moment, like any series.

BMR - just had a 3 year works deal expire and committed to continuing.

HARD - already committed to at least 2022.

Ciceley - long term commitment.

Motorbase - been committed since circa 2007

WSR - been committed since 1997

AMD - been in since around 2010

PMR - works Vauxhall commitment.

Other teams are new operations and one established operation was refused a license (HMS). It does pay to research what you're talking about before saying anything - you picked the one series that's been healthiest it has ever been for several years and is now only matched by WTCR, which is new! WTCR is incidentally only touring car series in the world that's remotely close for commitment and stability!

You mean when all the other series where still there?

FIA GT, FIA GT1, BPR... All worked out well...

I'm talking a Series that would combine all the major GT endurance races around the world Into 1 Series, familiar teams and drivers helps viewership tenfold, it wouldn't be easy with GT though, viewership to cost ratio is out of this planet.

More how if it isn't broke don't fix it... GT wise IMSA is booming but also stable. Blancpain has massive grids, national GT such as ADAC and BGT are getting good grids.

The point went well over your head on that one, the fact most racing series are not professional is the problem. Fuzing them together can help that happen with more media money drivers can be paid.

Why?

In Supercars(australia)the top half of the grid is paid from my knowledge the bottom half need money, but that series has got decent media income compared to others around the world, and that's how you do it.

This is without major Manufacturer Support, which modern racing has to move past as this is not coming back anytime soon.

Supercars are the perfect example of how to kill a series. Manufacturer input is minimal, its the same couple teams every year and they now supply majority the grid.

Supercars is the series ironically on the decline and a couple withdrawals away from crisis.

Super GT and DTM have to Fuze together at some point too, that is heavily manufacturer dependent though and doesn't really look to be in any real danger long term.

Only DTM, Super GT is and always has been a manufacturer central series but with enough support and co operation from manufacturers to ensure its survival..

Back