Is GT Sport a sort of prologue before a GT7?

Portugal
Portugal
The more I play GT Sport, the more it reminds me of GT5 Prologue. The beautifully made menus, the lack of overall content, but the content it has is crafted to an insane level of detail. Each showroom has one or two road cars available but most of them are new to the series just like in GT5 Prologue. Instead of a dozen type of R34’s, you only get one beautiful V-Spec. I don’t think PD will ever bring back less detailed and more detailed cars again in the same game but this game just feels like they are holding back on purpuse for something bigger, I mean they had 5 years from the moment GT6 came out and the PS4 arrived shortly after, so they must have been developing this right from the beginning of 2014. What do you guys think? You think we will see a GT7 based of the cars and physics engine of GT Sport still on this generation of consoles?

I think GT Sport was a prologue for what will be PD's future of multiplayer SIM racing on console.

For the most part PC has always been a step above console, in many aspects - the only thing console had going for itself was split screen local multiplayer, but when online multiplayer gaming came out for the PC console lost that niche market.
GT for the most part has always focused on single player content with multiplayer racing being left as an afterthought, and they gave us the tools to organize our own events.

GT Sport is the most polished multiplayer experience for SIM racing on console, say what you want about other games, but from what I understand nowhere else can you drop into an online racing game (even with a DS4) and be immediately matched with plenty of other drivers near your skill level.

Say what you want about the bugs, or the penalty system etc - but in essence I think this is a prologue to GT7's multiplayer experience.

The more I play GT Sport, the more it reminds me of GT5 Prologue
I don't find GT Sport to be a prologue at all.

It's a reboot of the series from the ground up to be multiplayer-focused. Almost everything is headed to e-sports, and has been for at least five years. Polyphony is just catching up but what they've accomplished with GT Sport is pretty great.

I don't find GT Sport to be a prologue at all.

It's a reboot of the series from the ground up to be multiplayer-focused. Almost everything is headed to e-sports, and has been for at least five years. Polyphony is just catching up but what they've accomplished with GT Sport is pretty great.
I have to agree. Was way skeptical in the lead up to and after release. Now, being able to jump in a race at set times, is pretty damn, cool.

Being a console player, PD have made venturing online perfect for me.

GT Sport definitely reminds me of GT5 Prologue, but mainly the whole idea of matchmaking you with people you don't want to race with & then forcing a less than ideal penalty system upon everyone. I hated that then & I still hate it now. At least there are host run lobbies in GTS.

I don't understand why it is a prologue if it doesn't have more content than its predecessor.

They stated that they had to do everything from scratch. And most of the time you can notice this. I don't think people would be so grateful if they would just import the PS3 era premiums into the game. We've already seen in the Cars Comparison thread that a lot of people aren't really happy with some of the quality of the cars.

This is pretty much a full game. Deal with it.

I don't understand why it is a prologue if it doesn't have more content than its predecessor.

They stated that they had to do everything from scratch. And most of the time you can notice this. I don't think people would be so grateful if they would just import the PS3 era premiums into the game. We've already seen in the Cars Comparison thread that a lot of people aren't really happy with some of the quality of the cars.

This is pretty much a full game. Deal with it.
Any prologue game is just a glorified demo, Gt Sport isn't. So I'm with you on that.

It's more of a red headed step child than a prologue. Dare I say a bit of a stumble as well (which is to be expected when treading new territory.) But the next GT will have these things ironed out - a cohesive Esports mode, a solid single player, what have you. Rome wasn't built in a day.

You guys realize the GTS community page reveals it’s GT7 with a different name right? Kaz said GTS was in some sense GT7 and their page proves just that.
Pretty much this. The URL for their content server/API confirms it as well:

"GT7SP." GT7: Sport.

It's just not in the actual title. Obviously because of the lack of content, yet they're updating it every month.

If and when they'll do a massive Spec II update, then they'll finally add in the "7." That's my bet.

I don't think this game was ever intended as a Prologue, oh no - PD cites this as a main series title rather than a smaller version or a spin-off title. If they really did treat it as a Prologue, there would be EVEN LESS content. The fact content is being continually added suggests that PD intend to keep this game going for a while.

First off, I love and appreciate the added content and updates.

I see this game as a platform that’ll be used for the next 1-2 games minimum. The current game will scale up easily on the next platform and I believe PD is stacking most of their content for the next game as well.

Also, I doubt Sony ditches their player base on this current generation. They have MASSIVE marketshare and are already using cross-platform play with the PS4 and it’s Pro cousin.

But who knows?!

Pretty much this. The URL for their content server/API confirms it as well:

"GT7SP." GT7: Sport.

It's just not in the actual title. Obviously because of the lack of content, yet they're updating it every month.

If and when they'll do a massive Spec II update, then they'll finally add in the "7." That's my bet.

Thank you. This is exactly what I meant! :cheers:

I don't think PD intended GTS to be a kind of prologue, but it sure does feel that way to many players.

It always depends on what you make out of something.

I played almost every sim in a competitive way like gtr 1 + 2, rFactor, Iracing, Raceroom for a short, but in GT Sport with my privat Championships its amazing how many amazing people i met till now.

Its heavy fun, sweaty races, close races, very very competitive races.

So the game is in my opinion better than everything else right now for that price.

I think some of you guys have actually played GT5p and know what kind of a barebones demonstrator that is. I got it for free at goodwill and even I was surprised at how little content there was. I dont think it was ever sold for full price?

GTS at the very least, was a full priced game, whether you think that it was worth the price at release or even now is up to you.

I also think that people shouldnt try to pigeonhole something for something it is not.

if you think GT5/6 deserve to be called "full GT releases" due to the 1,000+ cars and the huge track list then of course GT Sport is going to look poor in comparison.

As said by PD they think GTS is the foundation for what Gran Turismo is for the next few generations, if not decade?

I look at GTS as a temporary thing. I cant predict what this game will be like in 2yrs time and how PD killing it will affect its 'offline mode' however I just try to enjoy what it is for the very small price I paid for the next 18 months if not more.

Right now GTS is something like $15 usd where I am... it is worth that easily. It is worth that $1.50 a month for 15 months of ongoing support.

I know people get upset when they think their $20 isnt getting stretched far.

At this point I beleive that PD cant be making any money at $15 a copy.

I'm about to look for PCars2 which is about $40 usd for the Limited edition just as a punt. I treat these things as a gamble. PD is paying out every month.

To me, GT Sport fits the modern games scene much better. Now that I'm 30, I don't have the endless hours I had as a kid to grind through a full career mode. GT Sport lets me drop into a race or two before dinner and then the PS4 goes off for the evening and I'll watch TV with my wife.

When I don't feel like a race I'll spend an hour or more in the Livery Editor or Scapes. I find there's far more to do than any previous GT title without the pressure of having to commit to a 5 race championship knowing you can't switch off and walk away (yes I know later titles offered the awkward 'pause' option wher eyour console would boot back into the championship, but that was still limiting).

I'm not fussed about the car/track count as I know that PD would never add the cars or tracks I want. Oulton Park or Donington Park would be great but they only ever appear in more hardcore sims where GT seems to focus more on F1 or WEC tracks, though Midfield Raceway or Trial Mountain would be a huge amount of fun. Equally the chances of them adding some 90's Super Tourers or 2010's BTCC cars are unlikely and now that we have the R32, 3 and 4 I'm content (again a 90's JGTC/Super GT pack would be cool).

Back