Is GT7 dying of death? [March 2022 - March 2023 RIP in peace | Happy Anniversary] [Proof]

• Thread starter skidmark69
  • 43 comments
And by the way 13 billion miles across 6 million players is only just over 2000 on average, not much at all
6 million players who have started the game, of which by the trophies only a fraction has contributed to the millage.
Here you can use trophies to indicate real statistics.
As by that average, every player should have reached the trophy
Going the Distance: Route 66 -> Drove the length of Route 66 (U.S.): 2451 miles (3945 km).
which only 18% have

The previous trophy is at around 30%, 1372.942 miles and "players that even dont have this trophy dont play the game" - at least they didnt make much of a contribution, increasing the workload the more active side of players have done. This is telling you, the playerbase that is active is still active (or has been in case for the wrapup).

6 million players who have started the game, of which by the trophies only a fraction has contributed to the millage.
Going the Distance: Route 66 -> Drove the length of Route 66 (U.S.): 2451 miles (3945 km).
which only 18% have

The previous trophy is at around 30%, 1372.942 miles and "players that even dont have this trophy dont play the game" - at least they didnt make much of a contribution, increasing the workload the more active side of players have done. This is telling you, the playerbase that is active is still active (or has been in case for the wrapup).
I think it's more like 6.5-7 millions now

which only 18% have

Yeah that's exactly my point, only a small fraction of players that bought the game actually play the game in single player to any significant extent, which is why even though only 2.2% have more than 50 daily races, that's actually a decent chunk of the active player base

Having more info is available, like it is here, is always useful 👍. How you extrapolate it is the difficult part, as it requires assumptions to be made.

One extra point about Sport Mode - You physically CANNOT play it without PS Plus which I don't have.

Except for the Time Trials. For which I was 100,065th in the last one and nowhere near last I think (hope 😂).

Is there a way of finding out how many people played each time trial (or at least how many got at least Bronze)? As that would tell us how many people still play the game at least once every 2 weeks in order to get the 250k credits.

It is a quick(ish) and easy(ish) way to make credits, so it would seem a reasonable assumption to predict that a very high proportion of "active" players would complete the time trial as a minimum?

Sport mode sucks. Tryhards all over the place, doing everything to win and all that. I only do the time trial in Sport mode.

From my exp, best by far is to have your group of buddies and race in lobbies, not being obsesssed to win but to have fun, to prepare for all kinds of races with all cars, with audio chat, and everything.

Last edited:
Having more info is available, like it is here, is always useful 👍. How you extrapolate it is the difficult part, as it requires assumptions to be made.

One extra point about Sport Mode - You physically CANNOT play it without PS Plus which I don't have.

Except for the Time Trials. For which I was 100,065th in the last one and nowhere near last I think (hope 😂).

Is there a way of finding out how many people played each time trial (or at least how many got at least Bronze)? As that would tell us how many people still play the game at least once every 2 weeks in order to get the 250k credits.

It is a quick(ish) and easy(ish) way to make credits, so it would seem a reasonable assumption to predict that a very high proportion of "active" players would complete the time trial as a minimum?
Yeah I agree that's another interesting data point. Those stats get posted in the time trial discussion thread every week. 125 000 participants for the last one. Across all the time trials there have been roughly 500 000 unique PSN IDs that have taken part.

So again the question is what percentage of active players actually participate in that event, but still you see the same trend as with the daily races. Numbers have been fairly stable since June last year. But it took a little bit of time for more people to catch on to the time trials, and there's been a little boost after Christmas for the participation in those too.

I am still enjoying my holiday, and more so now that TT 18 is over and my time set on day 2 held (ended 569th). 18🥇 :D

Here are the final statistics for TT 18.

View attachment 1235778

View attachment 1235777

Last edited:
Sport mode sucks. Tryhards all over the place, doing everything to win and all that.
From my exp, best by far is to have your group of buddies and race in lobbies, not being obsesssed to win but to have fun, to prepare for all kinds of races with all cars, with audio chat, and everything.
Can't stand lobbies - glitchy mcglitchy racing. Time Trials are all I play on the game now, and my play time drastically dropped since Sept 22. GVH1 brought me back though, but not daily

Really interesting numbers and discussion.

I think there is also a perspective/lens that you could apply as well in that the player base broadly splits in to

"engaged driving/car/racing enthusiasts" and "casual/new to racing/cars or just gamers"

What numbers that we can't see are the churn rate vs conversion from new player to engaged. It could be hypothesised that churn is high but stickiness is about the same as the churn rate which creates the stable player statistics potentially.

It explains things like the daily work out rewards which is a mechanic that tries to influence DAU (Daily Active Users) which is a core metric for Live Service/Online dependent games.

I think the strategy is trying to create the next generation of engaged early adopters like many of us were 25 years ago and bearing that in mind I was a much different player with a lot less engagement than I have now.

Last edited:
Can't stand lobbies - glitchy mcglitchy racing. Time Trials are all I play on the game now, and my play time drastically dropped since Sept 22. GVH1 brought me back though, but not daily
Lobbies are not glitchy or laggy anymore, providing you race people from your country or close Euro countries, and not from, lets say, Australia, or from the other side of the planet.

Last edited:
Lobbies are not glitchy or laggy anymore, providing you race people from your country or close Euro countries, and not from, let's say, Australia, or from the other side of the planet.
The caveat is that on Nations or Manu race days they priotize those so Dailies and Lobby's aren't quite as stable. Otherwise lobbies are fine if you do them in close zones.

Sport mode sucks. Tryhards all over the place, doing everything to win and all that. I only do the time trial in Sport mode.

Like you, I enjoy the qualifying more than the actual races. It is so frustrating to get punted off on the first lap in turn 1 and pick up a penalty on top of it. We have a lobby on Fridays called DRWF (Daily Races With Friends) which is much more fun to get my racing fix. And we choose other cars for bonus races. This gives us a chance to try all the cars that people complain about having to collect and wonder why they are even in the game. I also enjoy making liveries.

My point is people can play the game they want to, do what appeals to them. And as long as people continue to play and more importantly purchase Gran Turismo games, PD will continue to support it and make more. I believe that as PSVR2 becomes more popular we will see a new influx of players in the GT community. GT7 is one of the best games to showcase VR. Kaz is really close to envisioning his dream when he created his first GT game.

Back