Is it currently worthwile to play Online (Open Lobby)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ESCUDO 1800hp
  • 58 comments
  • 6,479 views

Which of the following is fun to play with in Online Mode (Open Lobby)?

  • Real-life Friends

    Votes: 98 56.0%
  • Special Online Community (like GTPlanet)

    Votes: 79 45.1%
  • Random Strangers

    Votes: 68 38.9%
  • None of the above

    Votes: 23 13.1%

  • Total voters
    175
Messages
274
I don't have any real-life friends who are into racing games. I tried several games online with random people, and haven't had any fun yet. Here are some of the problems I've experienced:

-several "idle hosts" meaning the game never starts
-major car imbalances
-1 annoying person on the microphone
-intentional ramming (not bumping) by a 140mph car when I'm at around 50.

Is there any fun to be had online?

I currently just don't see the point. Playing around in practice mode is insanely more fun. I play a bunch of other games with random people (mostly FPS's and RTS's) and thought Online mode could take GT5 to "the next level" but it just doesn't do it for me.
 
Last edited:
And folks who drive like they had one too many.
 
Host your own room with friend that way you control the atmosphere. Problem solved. Online CAN be extremely fun, but it's up to you to make it happen. Use power restrictions, Penalties, The kick button, and you'll end up with a fun clean room. I recommend leaving boost on though as tight races are more entertaining than one person dominating.

Most people who complain about gt5's online are the ones who are not using it's full potential.
 
At times I do experience the problem of no body joining my room, or not having enough people to start a race. People are never patient back out. I agree with the OP, I have been having the same problems online. I only getting enjoyment from racing my one buddy, but bothering with public rooms or creating your own as turned into a waste.
 
From my own personal experience, the first time I ever played a racing game (or any PS3 game) online was a little over 2 years ago. It was like a new world for me. And if I had never done it, I never would have known what a great experience it can be.

That said, I don't venture into public lobbies anymore for all the reasons you mentioned and then some. And the only time I've done so in GT5 is to spectate. Over the last two years, I've slowly added clean and fair racers to my PSN friend list to the point where it's full. I've picked up people from Ferrari Challenge, Supercar Challenge, SSV8, SSV8:NC, F1:2010, NFS:Shift, Prologue, Dirt2, and so on. Between all of us, we organize our own clean races, usually with full lobbies.

The nonsense and baloney you see in public lobbies is a joke. Over the years I've met:
- punters
- loud mouthed jerks
- foul mouthed jerks
- people driving the wrong way
- people who simply can't drive
- people who can drive but think it's OK to push and shove their way through the field.
- people who don't have a clue what real racing is.
- people who cut corners, drive off track and pull any manner of tactic just to win.
- people who are rude, crude, disruptive and all together unpleasant.
- And people who are clean, fair, fast and top notch sim racers. But they're in the minority.

But if I'd never done it, I never would have had the chance to make those connections and meet a lot of great people. Wandering into public lobbies is always a crap shoot. But when you meet fair racers. Remember their PSN ID and hang onto them.
 
Overall, it does suck right now.

I'm really hoping that PD updates it. It has soo much potential, but PD is missing very BIG key elements to it.

1. Matchmaking: Match you up with the right players for you.
2. Detailed filters: Ping, show empty or full servers? Filter by game mode, by track, by car type, by hp.
3. Game Modes: Drift, Drag, normal car race, high tuned, racing mods, racing cars, elimination, driving games, etc.
4. Explanations: why you were booted from a server. Were you kicked or did the server crash?
 
One thing I think they need is a penalty for bailing out of a race. If you cant suck up the fact that you are in last place, then you lose about 10% percent of your creds for bailing out of a race.
 
Also bets would be great. All bets go to the winner.(on certain game modes).
 
A return to the pp system and online matching for races like gt5p, with the ability for private matching would have been the thing to do. Met a lot of good players in gt5p . Now they're all off in different rooms, gt5 online sucks.
 
One thing I think they need is a penalty for bailing out of a race. If you cant suck up the fact that you are in last place, then you lose about 10% percent of your creds for bailing out of a race.

Ahh I like this idea (although 10% may be a bit steep), I was in a room that setup a long 60 lap race once with about 8 others figuring great we will all make some cash and xp and have a good long race. Well a couple guys made real poor car choices and long story short me and another guy basically lapped the whole field in the first 10 laps, so then everyone quit. It was like what a waste of time.
 
A return to the pp system and online matching for races like gt5p, with the ability for private matching would have been the thing to do. Met a lot of good players in gt5p . Now they're all off in different rooms, gt5 online sucks.



Well, look who it is. How goes it buddy? Yeah, GT5P events would be a plus. It would also help with the language barrier.
 
I've been thoroughly enjoying GT5's online. It is easily the best online experience I've had on a console racing game, period. I've only been in one lobby that had one guy bumping, and the rest of the games I've played have been very enjoyable.

I generally stay on the lower rwhp side of things (400hp is generally my cap, I like lower hp cars) so I haven't had any X1's invade, and the people that I race are usually very respectful and have some common courtesy. I have met a few unpleasant people that would kick people for winning races, but the vast majority of races I've been in have been very enjoyable. I was expecting a terrible online community with this game, much like any other console racer I've played, but it seems like the kids want to drive the high rwhp cars, so I'm safe. 👍
 
Ahh I like this idea (although 10% may be a bit steep), I was in a room that setup a long 60 lap race once with about 8 others figuring great we will all make some cash and xp and have a good long race. Well a couple guys made real poor car choices and long story short me and another guy basically lapped the whole field in the first 10 laps, so then everyone quit. It was like what a waste of time.



You should be allowed to retire your car. They don't get game cash or Xp. I don't know how Xp is determined, so I'm not sure if you were actually affected.
 
I race online all the time, the only times i go offline really are to set up new cars and to do seasonal events for cash.

online all the way! i love taking on everything in my perfectly tuned Focus ST or beating 700hp mustangs in my Renault V6
 
D_M
You should be allowed to retire your car. They don't get game cash or Xp. I don't know how Xp is determined, so I'm not sure if you were actually affected.

The problem is cash and XP are determined by the length of the race and number of participants, not only that at least with 8 cars even though me and the other guy were faster at least things stay interesting for the rest of the laps, as opposed to 2 people. Instead there was 2 people just lapping about a second off eachother, for not much payout, we both quit.
 
I think public rooms are good, just some people using wierd internet connections and stuff now and them. Online play is porly implemented in this game, but atleast we have online play, right?
 
I play wiht RL friends, driver that I met online or random stranger, doestn matter for me.
 
i have had a lot of success playing online in open lobbys, and with friends, especially with shuffle racing.

as long as you make it clear to people what you expect from them it's easy. set the room name to 'clean racing' disable all aids, and set penalties and damage to light. shuffle rating to 1-3 and then at the start of the race remind people to take it easy, at the end ask people to let you know if they have any complaints about anyone.
if someone is driving like a douche, kick them after the race. let everyone know why.

disabling aids, and setting a higher lap number (think 10 minute races) drives away the punters, and brings in good, long races.

shuffle racing is probably the most fun you can have online.
 
None of the above, and all at same time, I do not like stereotypes, all are welcome provided they respect the rules and players, when they don't respect I apply other measures of persuasion.

I have taken good races with Real-life Friends, Special Online Community, Random Strangers, and None of the above... :sly:
 
I HATE having to refresh menu for games cause all i see is nascar racing come on guys their other tracks, cars in game
 
oh, and don't forget to look outside the US.

i was looking the other day and there where only 3 rooms with skid recovery off inside the US. i laughed pretty hard.
 
Iv had fun online in random rooms. There always seems to be 1 idiot but that's how it is in every game I play online. Friends would be better though I sadly don't have any :lol:
 
If I'm gonna race online with random people, I create my own room. That way, you can kick the wreckers and not get kicked yourself. Otherwise, I race with friends/leagues only.
 
The majority of my time in GT has been online. Even if you're not in a great room, it's much better than playing A-Spec in my opinion. It could just be the type of rooms I look for. I notice that some people feel that online is just chaos, while I find it much more organized than offline. The only major thing missing is PP.

I look for rooms with strict restrictions and meaningful room titles. I never go to rooms with boost, SRF, or ovals. I tend to look for races with many laps, but going above 5 is kind of rare. Most of the time, the rooms are populated by proper racers, and trouble makers are simply booted.
 
I actually like playing with everybody. I almost never run into douchebags that try and pit you, and honestly, when you do they usually aren't fast enough to keep up with you passed that first corner.
 
It's been a crapshoot for me. Even rooms that seem civilized when I entered became hostile for no logical reason other than poor sportsmanship. Such is life.
 
I love online! Met some strangers today, and it turned out to be one of the best races ever. First and second place were separated by 0.063 seconds using 2 different cars:drool:

Always look for lower-hp rooms with penalties, and driving aids off.

And add the drivers you enjoyed racing with;)
 
One thing I think they need is a penalty for bailing out of a race. If you cant suck up the fact that you are in last place, then you lose about 10% percent of your creds for bailing out of a race.
How about if you enter a race, there is an entry fee that gets bigger depending on the length of the race. If you bail, you lose your entry fee, and it's split evenly between the folks who stayed to race. If you stay, you get your entry fee back, plus your winnings.

I agree with you 100%. When people bail, it takes the fun out of it.
 
I race in open lobbies only and have made friends through that. As long as you enter a room with restrictions and a good host then you can find some good racing. I will leave a room if there are x1's, different races cars and street cars at the same time. That will almost never end well.

The poll should have option for all of the above. I enjoy racing in most open lobbies so I'd assume I enjoy racing with friends and people from GTP.
 
Back