Is it currently worthwile to play Online (Open Lobby)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ESCUDO 1800hp
  • 58 comments
  • 6,479 views

Which of the following is fun to play with in Online Mode (Open Lobby)?

  • Real-life Friends

    Votes: 98 56.0%
  • Special Online Community (like GTPlanet)

    Votes: 79 45.1%
  • Random Strangers

    Votes: 68 38.9%
  • None of the above

    Votes: 23 13.1%

  • Total voters
    175
I've found it takes ages to find a decent game, because of joining problems and rooms with no restrictions.

Racing with friends in private rooms is best, but I did manage a room once using restrictions and changing the track often, but its so hard to keep everybody happy.

"ok were using 300bhp max."
NOOB - "can you raise bhp to 1200 so i can use my car!!!!???"
 
Participating in an online league run on another board. 2-man teams. The organizer is tracking leaders in a spreadsheet. Would be nice if GT set that for you, as well as scheduling like the sports games do for their online leagues.
 
How about if you enter a race, there is an entry fee that gets bigger depending on the length of the race. If you bail, you lose your entry fee, and it's split evenly between the folks who stayed to race. If you stay, you get your entry fee back, plus your winnings.

I agree with you 100%. When people bail, it takes the fun out of it.

Love that idea
 
You need a lot of patience for online racing, but it can be fun. Finding the right game, finding a host who actually there and wants to race, finding a room where the people actually drive can all take a significant time.
 
How about if you enter a race, there is an entry fee

What happens when you get disconnected? Or you legitimately have to go. And what's stopping the other guys from just parking on the side of the road.

I don't think it would solve much. It would certainly be a headache though. Especially considering that you don't really win anything online. 100,000 cr for beating the AI in 5 laps, but not even 20,000 credits for a 20 lap online race where 1st and second were within 2 seconds of each other 70% of the race, including the last lap? Makes no sense to me.
 
I just play online with my friends normally between 5 and 8 people. Usually use go karts so everyone is equal and down to the best driver. There is some bumping but nothing malicious. Always have a good time online.
 
I've made a vow to myself to just keep my mouth shut. People drive so dirty, it's pathetic. Not all, but 90% of people who are competitive will overtake you in a corner where there's only room for one car, or slam you into the wall on the last section of Nordschleife, etc. I'm so tired of going from 1st or 2nd to 5th or 6th because people use this kind of garbage. Then I get mad and they say to ME, "Dude, it's only a game...". That's the dumbest part, because if it's only a game you should settle for 3rd or 4th instead of taking people out of the race with dirty driving.



Racing with dedicated online events that practice clean driving is the best way to go. Racing with friends is a close 2nd.
 
I rarely race with some stranger, since the vast majority of the online community in GT5 are people with lack of skill, and a brain...

They don't always ram, but most show no racing experience, which is why I kick most of the people I encounter in the very few lobbies I make "public".
 
I had much more fun in GT5P........
 
I had much more fun in GT5P........

Have to agree on this one, GT5P felt more polished, the graphics and online experience were much better, and smoother.
 
Pick a PP and go...no muss no fuss.....sure there's always the punters, but they seemed to always be a small minority....
 
I think that online is decent. There are some good things, but there's room for improvement. My biggest problem is the rewards, where you get very little credits and experience points.
 
I think one of the biggest issues with online is the consistency:
-in rewards, sometimes you end up with 20k for 2 laps around the ring in a 10 car field, and then in the same room, you end up with 4k for 2 laps around the ring in a 10 car field the next race.
-penalties, some times you end up with a 20 sec penalty for having 2 tires on the grass while other times people can cut corners with all 4 and now get anything in the same race
-of course it would be great if you had more restriction options like super GT only, or DTM only, along with the ability to restrict certain detunable parts.
 
I have started to host my own games lately with one car type, mostly the DTM and JPGT cars, i change maps after each race and clearly state how soon the race will start (usually 5-10 mins). I have a set BHP and Weight, only allow TCS and a driving line and have strong penalties and damage. I have had pretty much full rooms and people have stuck around for a good few hours, have not had too much bother with idiots as they either leave once the penalties kick in and they end up dead last or get swiftly kicked once its clear they are idiots. I think this is the only way to go to be honest.

I do wish PD would have a weekly (or monthly) set of P2P races (like GT5P) like they have been doing with the seasonal events with restrictions and lots of different cars, but most importantly decent credit and EXP rewards. It is worth playing online but in my opinion its up to you to make it that way, and for everyone else that joins your room.
 
I've had a few good races, but most of the time it's just people that don't know what they're doing.
 
One thing I think they need is a penalty for bailing out of a race. If you cant suck up the fact that you are in last place, then you lose about 10% percent of your creds for bailing out of a race.

That a good point. You struggle and stay in a race just to watch every other person below you quit out cause their egos can't handle not being first. All the while the race prize pool goes down to the point thats its not even worth it. I'm deeply disturbed at the attitude of most the human race that play online its like every last person is a spoilt little kid who thinks the world revolves around them. I'm this close to just bidding farewell to the online world as its just a waste of time these days. 99% Noobs.
 
Online is awesome and no I dont have any RL friends playing it. I made some friends on the game tho, with similar driving skills than me. Best time I've had in GT5.

Btw there's nothing like unfair rules on rooms. If it's unfair it just means you dont have enough car. Or dont join.

Reward depends on number of people, penalty boost etc.. you apply and some other stuff from what I could get.
 
The most important thing PD needs to do is to give the option to add ballast and air restrictors. It's really annoying that you can't enter a race because you're 10kg or 3hp off the regulations.

Other than that, increased xp and cash is needed. We are not racing against dumb AI online:D
 
I've only recently started to venture into the online open lobby and it's a mixed bag.
On the one hand the enormous choice of cars and tracks to use compared to Prologue is a real and obvious improvement although without Prologue's PP (Performance Points) system it's also completely unbalanced.
Love the fact you can set up your own race with its own rules, hate the fact everybody seems to just ignore the intention and just chooses a car which complies with the limited amount of technical regulations.
Apart from the annoying crash test dummies who seem to have even far less intelligence than GT5's own AI the absence of a PP system means there's no middle ground anymore too.

By which I mean there's a lot of rooms for people who only use soft racing tyres and a lot of rooms with hardcore purist who only restrict to using road tyres and I'm none of those all the time (where are the hard and normal race tyres apart from a few rooms?).
The PP system allowed for evenly matched cars whereby you decided to either use more power and less weight or better tyres, etc.
Want more grip in the corners by using racing softs? Okay, then use less power and downforce or more weight.
Want more straightline speed? More power, less downforce but also lesser tyres, etc., etc.
Now downforce isn't taking into the equation anymore meaning that certain races only meant for road cars are just easily won by those participating with race cars who do oblige to the technical regulations set (same weight/power/tyre limit).

And why don't they make use of the level system or licenses aquired? Sure, only optional but to be able to only allow players who at least made an effort makes that the open lobby would offer another option for "serious" racing apart from the enclosed private lobbies and would make the level system more meaningful than just being there for bragging rights and unlocking events.
 
I like random players because it is good variation of people, cars, and tuning. I have real friends, but in the virtual world i like random people.
 
I want a option to search for rooms that I can enter with my current car. I mainly join Ferrari F1 rooms but it's hard to find them through all the drift, drag, and Nascar rooms.
 
Well, the last race i went... i close the door on inside off him then he rams me on my back during a turn unto a sweeping corner at 100mph. Then, i just let it off.. but on the next round after voting for a new track and the race starts, i just pushed him into outside of a corner in every moment he came near on me.. because the guy is putting his stress at me, he tried it until 4 races until he ends up quiting and saying " ********* "
 
The only free run lobbies you can find are on the TGTT (usually chaotic) or on some version of the Nurburgring invloving the north loop. I can never win an actual race since I usually get caught in the first turn "festivities" and spend the rest of the race in last.
 
I entered a lobby a few days ago where the host was always on pole and won easily each time by quite a margin since the rest crashed behind him in the first corner, I looked at the event rules and saw he had applied the "slow start first" rule and he just entered after everyone had put in a lap meaning he automatically started first.
Then I did the same, although I ended up second after him but quite easily overtook him as the rest crashed again behind us, after a few laps where he tried to push me into the barriers several times I ended up first and after he crashed trying to ram me he ended up third or fourth.
Immediately after that I saw he left the room he set up, that's probably the main issue I have with many online "racers", they don't enjoy the actual racing, they just want to win at all costs.
I think that's the main reason price money is so low in online races, to stimulate the fun of racing and not necessarily aim to win each time (or at least not at all costs).
 
I voted all three above since playing against random people makes for a indirect challenge since everyone has a different driving style.
 
Random-lobby racing is always a lottery, but if you're prepared to keep trying you'll find a good room.

Another good option is to find an organiser site (like GTPlanet or WorldLeagueRacing.com) which gives you the opportunity to get some like-minded racers on your friends list.
 
If I'm gonna race online with random people, I create my own room. That way, you can kick the wreckers and not get kicked yourself. Otherwise, I race with friends/leagues only.

:tup:create your own room is the way to play well. my room is called 450pp pro drivers:sly:join if you find it.
 
Seriously you are picking wrong rooms, pick rooms with a active host that isnt a idiot.
 
Friends, no doubt. Me and my friend tried hosting a 70s street car race in the open lounge but ended up with a ferrari california and everything in the middle
 
Back