Is it possible this game is making me nauseous?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 21 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I love the way this game looks and I love the way it sounds but for some reason, 15 to 20 minutes into playing it and I’m getting nauseous, a little dizzy.

This normally happens to me when I play games with fast-moving cameras like God of War or 1st person games, but it has never happened when I played GTS or PC2.

I know there’s been a lot of discussion about frame rate and because I am not very technically savvy I wanted to ask all of you if that might be the reason I get nauseous.

Last edited:
I love the way this game looks and I love the way it sounds but for some reason, 15 to 20 minutes into playing it and I’m getting nauseous, a little dizzy.

This normally happens to me when I play games with fast-moving cameras like God of War or 1st person games, but it has never happened when I played GTS or PC2.

I know there’s been a lot of discussion about frame rate and because I am not very technically savvy I wanted to ask all of you if that might be the reason I get nauseous.

Yes, for two reasons.

The frame rate and the juddery camera is dreadful. Also because I bought this piece of crap to start with. Yes I am sick to my stomach :-(

Yes, it’s very possible. But it also depends on the field of view, a narrow field of view could make it worse.

You will probably get used to it after a while though. Until then I would recommmend taking breaks often.

I had the same thing with FM3 and GTA V. Both games have a relatively narrow field of view in “cockpit” view. GTA ran at 30 FPS but I’m not sure about the FM3 framerate. Some sources suggest that the cockpit view in FM3 ran at 30 FPS but there is very little information about it.

Yes, for two reasons.

The frame rate and the juddery camera is dreadful. Also because I bought this piece of crap to start with. Yes I am sick to my stomach :-(
That is good to here your review because if the game is crap, well I just save around $70 because I have not brought it yet :).

Have you got it in helmet cam? That makes me dizzy.

I am going out on a limb and say the perspective and field of view may be the main culprid.

It didn't feel right already from looking at all the videos up until now, and that's why i keep on bringing up the question of adjustable screen cameras and angle and POV etc...

If none of that can be changed on the PS4 pro, then forget it...

I remember when i first toyed around with PC2, adjusting all the FOV, with some of them i had that nauseating feeling, fortunately PC2 has fully adjustable...

I so want to give ACC my money, but if they give me a reason not to, then i guess i will pass...

That is good to here your review because if the game is crap, well I just save around $70 because I have not brought it yet :).
I had made up my mind the moment the game was available that I would buy it. I had heard of the fabled ACC lore and I also wanted to support any developer who makes a racing game.

I’m mostly positive about games and I hate to pick them apart. Little things don’t bother me like others.

That said, if laying out 70 dollars is any kind of sacrifice, I would not buy this game yet. I had the disposable money because I already planned to buy it. But, I’ve told a few people already that, as of right now, I would hold off.

Full disclosure: I HATED, HATED, HATED PC2 when I first got it. It took me quite a while to get used to it and learn to drive properly. But, to this day, and I literally mean THIS DAY, it is the best, deepest, feature rich racing game on console. The list of things it has or does is miles ahead of ACC on PS4

However, if I played ACC for months on end, I may learn to love it. Right now it makes me nauseous, but even if it didn’t I hate that I can’t adjust my FOV and that I can’t adjust my seat position. I hate that I can’t customize, and I mean FULLY customize, like move elements of the HUD to different areas of the screen, not just toggle them on and off.

I’m just one person. Take my opinion for what it's worth. Right now, PC2 is the game of choice for me

I had made up my mind the moment the game was available that I would buy it. I had heard of the fabled ACC lore and I also wanted to support any developer who makes a racing game.

I’m mostly positive about games and I hate to pick them apart. Little things don’t bother me like others.

That said, if laying out 70 dollars is any kind of sacrifice, I would not buy this game yet. I had the disposable money because I already planned to buy it. But, I’ve told a few people already that, as of right now, I would hold off.

Full disclosure: I HATED, HATED, HATED PC2 when I first got it. It took me quite a while to get used to it and learn to drive properly. But, to this day, and I literally mean THIS DAY, it is the best, deepest, feature rich racing game on console. The list of things it has or does is miles ahead of ACC on PS4

However, if I played ACC for months on end, I may learn to love it. Right now it makes me nauseous, but even if it didn’t I hate that I can’t adjust my FOV and that I can’t adjust my seat position. I hate that I can’t customize, and I mean FULLY customize, like move elements of the HUD to different areas of the screen, not just toggle them on and off.

I’m just one person. Take my opinion for what it's worth. Right now, PC2 is the game of choice for me
I think will hold off until maybe a week after reading more reviews, and then I will decide whether to buy the game or not.

You have the game you would think you will get a patch soon to fix these issues, and then you think it is a 70 dollar game to buy. Thanks for your post :cheers:.

First off, this game is far from crap... We all have our opinions but I suggest you buy a physical copy if you’re unsure, then you can always sell it on if you don’t like it...

As for motion sickness, I’d agree that the FOV would be the main culprit. It’s a bit too narrow for my liking at the minute and that could certainly be contributing to how you’re feeling. I’m sure higher FPS would help too, but hopefully a more stable 30 and FOV options will come in the next patch.

I was really sick one night after playing gt sport on a controller. I am fine on a wheel but put me on a controller and my brain goes crazy

Being a very early buyer I thought I may have been a bit harsh. But now with all the complaints flooding in I do feel justified in my criticisms.

Save your money for the time being is the best advice anyone can give you. You definitely not missing very much at all. Between AC (original), PCARS2 and GT Sport you will have lots to do anyway.

BTW my D Pad on my wheel rim has just died :-( I suspect this was contributing to some of my issues so I will not be playing for about a week while new rim gets sent from Sydney.

I did have a good look around last night using the PS4 hand controller and really this game's graphics are pathetic. Also check out some of the console reviews coming in now and use the full screen mode so you appreciate how jumpy the video is. I driven solid axle tractors across ploughed paddocks and had less jumpiness than this ;-)

Lastly the game is on sale at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00 so I thought it worth a chance. I suspect once their copies start to gather dust on the shelf they will discount it further ;-)

Yes, Milestone games do this to me ( before they moved to UE4), ironically ACC looks like an early PS4 game from milestone or something. My eyes were really fatigued after about 15-20 minutes last night, they still haven't recovered.

It's a shame because I went to switch it off but thought I'd check out the sound of the Bentley on the first special event, 40 minutes minutes later after doing lap after lap I thought I'd better call it a night. It is pretty addictive, the sound alone keeps begging you for one more lap. I was left with the thoughts "PS5 cant come soon enough".

From my short experience I dont see how the devs could have looked at this game on the standard ps4 and thought yep that's acceptable. Too many compromises, far too many. Especially when the PS5 is around the corner.

Last edited:
Being a very early buyer I thought I may have been a bit harsh. But now with all the complaints flooding in I do feel justified in my criticisms.

Save your money for the time being is the best advice anyone can give you. You definitely not missing very much at all. Between AC (original), PCARS2 and GT Sport you will have lots to do anyway.

BTW my D Pad on my wheel rim has just died :-( I suspect this was contributing to some of my issues so I will not be playing for about a week while new rim gets sent from Sydney.

I did have a good look around last night using the PS4 hand controller and really this game's graphics are pathetic. Also check out some of the console reviews coming in now and use the full screen mode so you appreciate how jumpy the video is. I driven solid axle tractors across ploughed paddocks and had less jumpiness than this ;-)

Lastly the game is on sale at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00 so I thought it worth a chance. I suspect once their copies start to gather dust on the shelf they will discount it further ;-)
After reading a lot of reviews tonight about the game, I will save my money and thanks :cheers:.

After reading a lot of reviews tonight about the game, I will save my money and thanks :cheers:.

I have gotten my T300 wheel to work quite well now. I have updated to the latest firmware and that has solved most of the problems. So with a reasonable good working wheel I have played the game a lot more. Surprisingly Bathurst actually doesn't look that bad but as a complete contrast Monza (Kunos's home track) is absolutely shocking. So my goal now is search for better looking tracks ;-) I should add I have only been in hot lap mode so there is not much load on the game.

At least now I can say there may be some hope for this game. BTW I have driven the Porsche, Lambo and Bentley and they actually sound and drive differently, unlike GT Sport where everything is just bland and under-steering messes ;-)

I also have a nauseous feeling after playing with the T300 wheel. Yesterday I played a bit with the controller and didn't have this.

I bet it's the input lag of the steering wheel, it feels unnatural. I have car sickness in real life, and only if I don't drive myself I get it. The brain can't cope with the unexpected direction changes. Because the input lag is significant with the wheel, it makes the movement of the car more unexpected.

I have gotten my T300 wheel to work quite well now. I have updated to the latest firmware and that has solved most of the problems. So with a reasonable good working wheel I have played the game a lot more. Surprisingly Bathurst actually doesn't look that bad but as a complete contrast Monza (Kunos's home track) is absolutely shocking. So my goal now is search for better looking tracks ;-) I should add I have only been in hot lap mode so there is not much load on the game.

At least now I can say there may be some hope for this game. BTW I have driven the Porsche, Lambo and Bentley and they actually sound and drive differently, unlike GT Sport where everything is just bland and under-steering messes ;-)
I have had a look at some videos today the in-car cam you can notice the frame rate is bad, and I can understand why some players can get sick of seeing it. If the frame rate stays like that, well it is not worth buying mate. I will still be reading reviews and seeing videos and see what happens.

not nauseous but a slight headache after a couple of hours. I hope they can/will fix this grainy stuttering graphics issue.

On aside curiosity put me in helmet cam for a while...... during a hard braking event I thought I was gonna crack my nose on the steering wheel :D

Had the same thing with the crew2 after the patch 4k mode made me ill after an hour with odd little stutters etc and they did patch it so it ran pretty smooth again back in 4k but after some strange lap time results I went back to 1080p mode and was suddenly 4/6secs faster in every event erm? and i would say its the 30fps giving you eye strain and motion sickness its all the changes in direction that does it with driving games

Latest Posts

Back