Is it possible to see into the future?

• Thread starter Villain
  • 84 comments
Use_The_Magic_8_Ball_And_Have_Fun.jpg

Those 9/11 stories sound great and support the position of the article and all, but they come off as just stories. Any actual names and references to back those up?

And regarding deja vu, I've experienced it quite a lot. I'm still trying to have that one deja vu experience where I finish someone's sentence.

It's pretty much a wash. Domestic flights during the start of school AND during an election... on a weekday, no less... are bound to be less loaded.

And 9/11 was a Tuesday. There is a reason airlines offer discounts Tuesday to Thursday, and it's not because the flights are bursting at the seams midweek.

When you interview people after a disaster, they are bound to remember any sense of foreboding more than they would otherwise. People dream of plane crashes and disasters all the time. When they don't happen, they tend to forget such dreams.

-

Our ability to "see" into the future is, as Danoff explains, mostly math. We can anticipate things by seeing patterns in events or picking up cues subconsciously. Having participants react to cues before they're given in an experiment sometimes does happen, and it will often happen because the experimenter doesn't implement enough controls to prevent the experimenter's own reactions or subliminal cues from polluting the result.

-

I've personally correctly dreamed about oncoming disasters once or twice. Of course, I've dreamed about disasters dozens of times when none have happened, so my overall score is pretty poor. :lol:

Thats isn't deja vu, you don't think you have forseen the event. You think you have remembered an event. Even if what you say was true. What you think is irrelevant. Only whether you could see in the future or not is relevant. Not whether you think you can or not.
No need to apologise, it's just a discussion :)

Ignoring the reality, how else would I be able to remember the event? I must have seen it before. You can't remember something you haven't seen or sensed (or at least, you shouldn't be able to).

Of course, you and I both know that ain't how it works in reality.

@Zoology: I'm not saying Deja Vu is prediction, dude. I'm only saying it feels like a correct prediction when you experience it. You know, a result of cause and effect reasoning. It just reminds me of stuff like "OMG, I had a gut feeling I shouldn't have been on that train, I must be psychic." You and I both know that doesn't prove jack's sheet, but to the person that thinks this, it makes perfect sense. Again, as a result of cause and effect reasoning. A great survival tool, because it shows what you did wrong and not to do it again, but does have a downside occasionally in some people.

@ Grand Prix, dude.

My posts were not directed at you.

But, I suggest reading the links I have provided. Deja Vu is not a survival tool.

Where in my post did I say Deja Vu was a survival tool? I said cause and effect reasoning was.

Well, you have about 10 points in one jumbled paragraph which makes it hard to read.

Deja Vu doesn't show you anything. That's the point. It is a memory recall failure.'Cause and effect reasoning' doesn't even come into play.

Read the information I have provided.

Its funny how many coincidences you can find when you're LOOKING FOR THEM.. you can find whatever the hell you want to find if you're looking most of the time xD.

Ignoring the reality, how else would I be able to remember the event? I must have seen it before. You can't remember something you haven't seen or sensed (or at least, you shouldn't be able to).

Of course, you and I both know that ain't how it works in reality.

@Zoology: I'm not saying Deja Vu is prediction, dude. I'm only saying it feels like a correct prediction when you experience it. You know, a result of cause and effect reasoning. It just reminds me of stuff like "OMG, I had a gut feeling I shouldn't have been on that train, I must be psychic." You and I both know that doesn't prove jack's sheet, but to the person that thinks this, it makes perfect sense. Again, as a result of cause and effect reasoning. A great survival tool, because it shows what you did wrong and not to do it again, but does have a downside occasionally in some people.

No, you didn't see it before. You 'think' you have seen it before, but there was no 'before'. This is a false recollection. Not a false premonition, if you will.

Well, you have about 10 points in one jumbled paragraph which makes it hard to read.

Deja Vu doesn't show you anything. That's the point. It is a memory recall failure.'Cause and effect reasoning' doesn't even come into play.

Read the information I have provided.

Well geez Louise, sorry. :lol:

If that's such a huge problem I'll try to separate each point into separate lines then.

I already read those articles, they explain it quite well.

I was talking about the reasoning one might use to explain it afterwards. I think it's pretty obvious that it's really just false recollection.

suzq044
Its funny how many coincidences you can find when you're LOOKING FOR THEM.. you can find whatever the hell you want to find if you're looking most of the time xD.

LMAO :lol:

Skuh
No, you didn't see it before. You 'think' you have seen it before, but there was no 'before'. This is a false recollection. Not a false premonition, if you will.

I think we might be violently agreeing with each other here. :lol: Difference is, I'm saying that some people will assume that a false recollection was a premonition.

Perhaps Deja Vu was the wrong term to use, but I wasn't sure what else to call it. I would think that if you have a false recollection of something currently happening, you would think that you've seen the event unfolding before. That's the reason I brought it up, because this thread is about seeing stuff that hasn't happened yet. Forgive me for thinking it was in anyway related to the thread. :rolleyes: :lol:

I know it will sound like I'm B'sing and normally i'd say seeing into the future is a stupid idea but i have (for lack of a better way of putting it, seen the future, never anything important or remotely significant)

For example this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQGU-vdXoVE

featured in a dream i had about a year before it was actually released, I've never even liked kylie minogue!

Ive also dreamed about being in a room that i had never been in previously, 3 months or so later i was there to see mission impossible 4, it turned out it was the lobby to an IMAX.

There are other odd bits in my life where i'll get deja-vu yet will have never seen or been to these places or met these people prior.

cphbullet
I know it will sound like I'm B'sing and normally i'd say seeing into the future is a stupid idea but i have (for lack of a better way of putting it, seen the future, never anything important or remotely significant)

For example this song:

featured in a dream i had about a year before it was actually released, I've never even liked kylie minogue!

Ive also dreamed about being in a room that i had never been in previously, 3 months or so later i was there to see mission impossible 4, it turned out it was the lobby to an IMAX.

There are other odd bits in my life where i'll get deja-vu yet will have never seen or been to these places or met these people prior.

Yeah same here, sometimes I'll know what's going to happen before it actually happens. It's rare but I don't know how I know. You must sometimes get a strange feeling and boom it happens.
I can also predict that GT6 will have a GTR

Yeah same here, sometimes I'll know what's going to happen before it actually happens. It's rare but I don't know how I know. You must sometimes get a strange feeling and boom it happens.
I can also predict that GT6 will have a GTR
No I'm too dim witted for that, it'll usually happen and i'll be like 'huh i dreamed about that a while back', rather than standing there waiting for it lol.

cphbullet
No I'm too dim witted for that, it'll usually happen and i'll be like 'huh i dreamed about that a while back', rather than standing there waiting for it lol.

I guess some people just get a sense of what's gonna happen next

For example this song:

This song is a throw back to older stuff, so it has a very familiar sound to almost anyone that has listened to music. Which is why it triggered deja-vu.

Same goes for your IMAX lobby etc. There are a lot of very basic, generic, types of rooms and layouts that dreams will dredge up or place and then your mind later wants to connect dots that, frankly, are on different pages.

I have had moments where I have a dream about something, and then it happens, sometimes years afterward.

It goes against everything I believe, but has anyone here heard of arrow theory?

I would have thought that was more coincidence than premonition.

'Arrow theory' - would that have anything to do with the Martin Amis novel 'Time's Arrow', where time is actually in reverse but we percieve it as going forward?

I would have thought that was more coincidence than premonition.

'Arrow theory' - would that have anything to do with the Martin Amis novel 'Time's Arrow', where time is actually in reverse but we percieve it as going forward?

Basically.

But events in the future affect events in the past. Like, you win the lottery in the future, which makes you pick the right numbers in the present.

The planes of 9/11 though, not sure what to think of that one.

Tuesday mornings are rather light for airports and early/mid-September is a light travel time of year; since school usually just began, there's less vacationers. Since few planes were rated to travel cross-country, they had to use large aircraft to go from Boston to Los Angeles, et cetera.

Hold on . . . I've forgotten. Do I go forward or backward to recall it?

Which ever way takes you to now.

This song is a throw back to older stuff, so it has a very familiar sound to almost anyone that has listened to music. Which is why it triggered deja-vu.

Same goes for your IMAX lobby etc. There are a lot of very basic, generic, types of rooms and layouts that dreams will dredge up or place and then your mind later wants to connect dots that, frankly, are on different pages.

I suppose thats fair enough, it doesn't explain the complete strangers i meet but have already met in a dream, it's kinda like being sherlock holmes:lol:

I suppose thats fair enough, it doesn't explain the complete strangers i meet but have already met in a dream, it's kinda like being sherlock holmes:lol:

Pattern recognition, memory. Your mind contains an incredibly sophisticated piece of software for facial rendering. One that, on occassion, malfunctions and makes you see Jesus on a slice of burnt toast. Your dream software sometimes takes a dump on faces you've seen and will cobble together odd bits and ends.

If you had eidetic memory and a deft drawing hand, perhaps you could make an accurate sketch of every face you've dreamed. Then compare them with real strangers. There might be some conicidences there, but it will never be 100% congruent. But you won't know that. Because the pattern recognition software is on all the time... and it fills in the blanks for you, making you see more similarities than exist.

But if you happen to dream about Kiera Knightely and she comes to your local pub, sits down next to you and buys you a beer... hook a man up, okay? Lottery's at $2m tonight.

I had deja vu this afternoon, but it wasn't with people. It was with something I was reading on the web. I felt like I was finishing the sentences myself, but there's always that foggy part of it that leaves you unsure. :odd:

I've had deja vu, and I had a few weird things when I was having a dream, and a few days later the exact event played out as in my dream. I am able to remember my dreams easily, so it's very creepy when it happens. That's why I freak out over bad dreams etc.

- If the Arrow-theory is correct, you must be going forward.

So to recall something from the past I have to go forward because the future is going backward which means the past is in the future, so then therefore I have to go forward to recall the past, which means I'm actually recalling the future of recalling the past that was the past but is now in the future because I tried to recall it? Shades of Shroedingers cat!

confusedbaby.jpg

Which ever way takes you to now.

I can't get out of then! Now is faster than light, and I'm trapped riding photons. :lol:

Back