Is it time for FIA Events and Sport Mode to get an actual Rule Book/Set of Rules?

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 48 comments

Pigems

Premium
Canada
Canada
TT_Pigems
Simple question, is it time for an actual set of hard/written down rules for online racing? After the shenanigans yesterday in the he FIA events, it seems like it could be time. With a proper rule set in place that incident may not have even happened. The videos at the beginning of Sport anode are basically a joke, and there is no written down set of rules/guidelines to race online. How are players/competitors supposed to know what’s actually allowed/not allowed without a proper Rule Book in place with proper definitions of the rules? Is it time for a legit rule book to be made/enforced for GT Sport Online racing? Or at least for FIA events if nothing else?

Last edited:
I think the easy answer is yes absolutely. In reality though there is no way (currently) that the in game algorithms could apply the rule book correctly. We'd end up with situations where someone broke a rule in the rulebook but the game wouldn't apply a penalty.

In an ideal world the algorithms could work it out, but we're not there yet.

I do agree that something more is needed. It doesn't set a great example to see the top racers at World Tour Events pulling dirty moves. Lesser drivers will just think "well if they do it I can do it".

You touched on the point of the etiquette videos. I'd love to see these revamped to be a lot clearer on what is and isn't allowed. Then if you get a DR reset you have to rewatch them before you can race again.

I think the easy answer is yes absolutely. In reality though there is no way (currently) that the in game algorithms could apply the rule book correctly. We'd end up with situations where someone broke a rule in the rulebook but the game wouldn't apply a penalty.

In an ideal world the algorithms could work it out, but we're not there yet.

I do agree that something more is needed. It doesn't set a great example to see the top racers at World Tour Events pulling dirty moves. Lesser drivers will just think "well if they do it I can do it".

You touched on the point of the etiquette videos. I'd love to see these revamped to be a lot clearer on what is and isn't allowed. Then if you get a DR reset you have to rewatch them before you can race again.

I understand the computer programs would have more trouble with proper rules enforcement, but the live stewards at the championships is another story. How can they hand out any punishments at all when there isn’t any form of rule book to work off of? Or how can the competitors abide by rules that don’t exist? If they start it at the top they can then figure out how to implement it into the regular sport mode somehow, or at very least we’d get a rule set to work off of. :)

The etiquette videos are useless, they are a patronising definition of the word 'sportsmanship' which goes on and on without really explaining anything. I didn't even watch the end of it, going to the toilet was a better use of my time. It should've explained basics like don't move in the braking zone or cross the pit exit line.

Yes, but if it's not viable for day to day online racing, then at least for the World Tour and World Championship events. As much as I greatly disliked Igor's unsporting moves, his "slow down" move is still "legal" in terms of GTS which seems a bit of a mockery to me. Applying a penalty to that "behind the scenes" is just as bad and clear rules should resolve at least some of the major issues and bring some consistency.

How are players/competitors supposed to know what’s actually allowed/not allowed without a proper Rule Book in place with proper definitions of the rules? Is it time for a legit rule book to be made/enforced for GT Sport Online racing? Or at least for FIA events if nothing else?
The players at the FIA events do get a set of general rules on a few sides of A4. I've got a copy of it somewhere.

definitely a yes! There is a urgent need to step up from a gaming event to a "sport" event if we can call it that. Every sporting event has a set of rules in which it functions, so should this kind of FIA supported entertainment.

Activating the default set of on track values of the pre-rounds (FIA events) will help a lot. Needs to be refined with on track behaviour and a smoothed out penalty system.

There seems to be ambiguity even in real motor racing, see section 6:
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/
"Lingering on the apex is considered an acceptable defense, but the amount of lingering that is allowable is not well defined. Clearly a driver cannot come to a complete halt, but beyond that there are no clear guidelines."
So there do seem to be some circumstances where it's permitted to go slower than you could, to block your opponent. Personally, if I were writing the rules of motor racing, I wouldn't see this as something I ought to permit. Enforcement wouldn't be easy, but I don't think it's any harder than permitting it to an undefined degree.

My opinion is clear and I mentioned that couple times. Every game or every sport needs rules and I've always wondered why GT Sport didn't have it right from the beginning. The essential part to me is that you've got something to go by and refer to, whenever you need it.
I do not expect written rules alone to improve things - of course they need to be enforced within the game. As @watto79 stated above, there is no way (currently) that the in game algorithms could apply the rule book correctly, so I imagine kind of a long time statistical system instead, that supports driving by the rules and hinders drivers who break them.

Btw I'd never say "If not for the daily races then at least for the public championship events". The opposite should be the case - as this has a tendency to make GT Sport an ( even more ) elitist game.

Last edited:
Not sure how it’s possible when the penalty system is a joke. Haven’t done much sport racing for several months...jumped on for a few miata laps at Tsukuba. Watched my SR tank for S to low B (42) mostly from minor bumper and fender rubbing. Got absolutely punted off several times, but the punter knew what they were doing so got no penalty. And then a received a few 3-5 second penalties for things I can’t even explain...slow down to avoid a wreck, get plowed into, get a 3 second penalty while the guy who hit me gets nothing. Also had one 5 second penalty that must have been from lag...I didn’t even see a car, then all of a sudden a car is in front of me and I’ve got a 5 second penalty.

So basically, in an MX5 touring car race, you cannot rub fenders or bump bumpers, but as long as you know the sweet spot, you can punt people off the circuit no problem.

It’s a joke.

Enforcing the rules are the problem, a computer wont always look at it like a human would.. so people won't ever be completely happy.
My pet hate is people rejoining the circuit and you get a penalty if there is contact with them..phhh

I think the key to be better is to establish new hybrid rules. Not replicate real life rules.

Thus I think the stewards should be players. ie Manu racers for Nations and vice versa.

There's still a perception from the real driving world that games are a joke. Montoya's comment to Hizal was telling. I don't think it occurred to Montoya for a second that more people watching a game stream knew Lightning than him. It was a funny comment, if you knew Montoya was. To younger viewers I'd imagine he came across as bitter old man.

And I get the feeling FIA share the same view. That they're helping Sony/PD sell games
by putting their name on it. When it's clear it's a mutual partnership where FIA could gain a foothold in gaming and reach a younger generation if they put some effort into it.

Yes, but if it's not viable for day to day online racing, then at least for the World Tour and World Championship events. As much as I greatly disliked Igor's unsporting moves, his "slow down" move is still "legal" in terms of GTS which seems a bit of a mockery to me. Applying a penalty to that "behind the scenes" is just as bad and clear rules should resolve at least some of the major issues and bring some consistency.
Yeah, Igor and the Australian guy both lacked integrity in the way they slowed down the cars behind them to mess up their lines. I would've been pretty heated if I was Lightning. The officials already knew Igor won by over 5 seconds when they gave him a 5 second penalty. It was a meaningless penalty that had no teeth.
One of the reasons I'm not racing with those guys (one of many, many, many reasons :lol:) is that there's no way I'd be able to race him again without roughing him up on the track.
It'll be interesting to see how Lightning handles it.

Last edited:
Yeah, Igor and the Australian guy both lacked integrity in the way they slowed down the cars behind them to mess up their lines. I would've been pretty heated if I was Lightning. The officials already knew Igor won by over 5 seconds when they gave him a 5 second penalty. It was a meaningless penalty that had no teeth.
One of the reasons I'm not racing with those guys (one of many, many, many reasons :lol:) is that there's no way I'd be able to race him again without roughing him up.
It'll be interesting to see how Lightning handles it.

I agree, and coming from a hockey background growing up, I’d have been hard pressed not to offer him to “drop the gloves” after that BS.

I think it's too late for GT Sport to try and update the "rules". They could slap the generic FIA ruleset or whatever in a menu somewhere but then you'd have people complaining that the AI stewards don't operate based on those rules and blah blah nothing has changed in reality. For GT7 they definitely need to create a coherent set of rules and systems that uphold those rules.

Simple question, is it time for an actual set of hard/written down rules for online racing? After the shenanigans yesterday in the he FIA events, it seems like it could be time. With a proper rule set in place that incident may not have even happened. The videos at the beginning of Sport anode are basically a joke, and there is no written down set of rules/guidelines to race online. How are players/competitors supposed to know what’s actually allowed/not allowed without a proper Rule Book in place with proper definitions of the rules? Is it time for a legit rule book to be made/enforced for GT Sport Online racing? Or at least for FIA events if nothing else?

That incident would probably fall under "unsportsmanlike conduct" or something similarly vague in such a set of rules, so I don't think it would have helped.

This is going to be a long post with lots of rambling.

First of all. Viewership didn't reach 10k.
These guys need to ask themselves "do I like getting a free trip around the world every couple of months?"
Because this is not going to last forever if viewership stays like this.
We have complained about stewards, damage, penalties and it is clear they're (pd) not ready to make the jump.
So, that leaves the pilots. It's ****ing tiring, tuning in and seeing dumb incidents every ducking race.
Y'all talk about fraga lifting, but dont forget what lstkovski did. He robbed of us of what would've been an insane finish. These guys need to get into their heads that people don't want to tune in to watch bumper cars (that won't even break down, for that matter).
They need to understand they're the foundations for that pd wants to achieve. Someone needs to get straight with them. The free flights the production, all of it. It's not going to last if it keeps like this.
Now, onto PD. The repechage is a disgrace. The penalty to fraga is a joke.
A joke because they knew right from the bat they weren't going to take the win from him after the race. They were late to react. This can't happen at the top level.
They need to give more incentives for people racing and viewers. Right now, as it is, nothing but 1st matters. Races become a chore to watch. Give a spot for regionals for 4th and 5th. Make a special repexhage for podium finishers of all world tour events to get a spot at finals. IDK. Something.
Both PD and the players need to understand this is a work in progress. PD dropping the ball at every turn and the drivers going at it like maniacs don't help.

To clarify, last repechage was a disgrace.
An oval with superformula when everyone and their mother know they can abuse the wall at t1? They need to add an hour to the broadcast and make a proper repchage with one shot qualifying in proper tracks with proper cars

Last edited:
Now, onto PD. The repechage is a disgrace. The penalty to fraga is a joke.
A joke because they knew right from the bat they weren't going to take the win from him after the race. They were late to react. This can't happen at the top level
Lightning definitely would've finished the race harder if he were seeing a 5 second penalty flashing above Fraga's car, like in Sport Mode.

A proper rule book/set doesn't stop this kind of thing happening in real life racing either...
True.

The etiquette videos are at the basic level of racing. If players were stick to that, there could be more enjoyable racing. There are some, that disregard how they are viewed, when racing. They couldn't give an ass rats about other players. A set of rules can't govern multiple account users, that don't care what happens to that driver rating.

Should an algorithm be made that senses when a player squeezes another player, intentionally, onto grass or into a barrier? I'm not talkin punting, but as in not giving racing room. Because, that's one of the biggest problems.

Players use different driving views. Limited visibility in cockpit view, too close in bumper Cam, etc. Some players are young that don't even clean their rooms when their parents tell them to. I'm just saying, they don't want to know about strict rules in their outlet.
There are plenty of grown folk playing this game, that need a time out too.

Players basically have to learn to play fair.

With the lack of rules, with inconsistent track limits (this should be an easy fix) and with the penalties as they are, I’m surprised the FIA have put their name on the game.

They’ve been very health and safety conscious since Imola 1994.

The FIA do need to be into esports tho, and I’m pleased they are linked to GT. Hopefully they’ll put pressure on PD to make improvements for GT7.

Maybe they are using a rule book (NASCAR's) use whatever rule they need at whenever they want. Using the rule book to give special players that extra edge. Then changing it every other week .

It's tiring seeing dumb **** worthy of online lobbies. PD live events are not that. They need to clean up their ****.
The drivers. The ones getting the best invites. They need to step up.

eSports is a stupid meme that was born of the gaming industry’s Freudian inferiority complex, where it aspires be like sports/film (i.e. more “mainstream” realms) while shaming its very strengths as a medium. What a joke, like 3D TVs. If I’m gonna play a sport or eSport, I’d like to be paid for it, or maybe meet people at events. Otherwise, I have so much more of my life to worry about than wasting my time trying (and failing) to be (anywhere near) the best at a stupid damn game! I don’t need that stress nor reminder of my own mediocrity! GTS sucks!

Back