Is it time for FIA Events and Sport Mode to get an actual Rule Book/Set of Rules?

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 48 comments
Really though, if the last race were like the other exciting and entertaining races over the weekend, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But it wasn't. And they still go for 25 lap race with 12 drivers and nothing to compete for really but first.

Let's be honest, a lot of the top split drivers are dirty, hypocritical cry babies...and I can't stand watching them race. (Here's look at you KIE) These guys are fast, so there's no need to drive like that way, which makes it that much worse. Taking your foot out of the gas the way Fraga did is a clear violation of the "rule" regarding sportsmanship, so it doesn't need to be clearly defined under some other rule. And his claim that he didn't mean to cause the incident, only slow Lighting down, is horse ****. He knew Lightning's pace, and he knew what he was doing. He should have been DQ'd or the penalty doubled, given when it happened in the race.

As far as a blanket algorithm to handle stuff like this? No, not going to happen, at last not an effective one. In order to get a properly working penalty system it's going to have been done for each individual track. You can then put things like braking zones, throttle and brake input based on track position, expected speed during sectors, etc into the equation. Would it be a lot of work? Sure...BUT it would be a hell of a lot more affective than trying to create a blanket penalty system.

I haven't heard anything contrary to this but the stewarding seemed to be on point this time around. Most precedents have been set in earlier events so with a little consistency from the stewards, your rules are already written.

As far as a blanket algorithm to handle stuff like this? No, not going to happen, at last not an effective one. In order to get a properly working penalty system it's going to have been done for each individual track. You can then put things like braking zones, throttle and brake input based on track position, expected speed during sectors, etc into the equation. Would it be a lot of work? Sure...BUT it would be a hell of a lot more affective than trying to create a blanket penalty system.

The live events use stewards (3 of them) to decide on penalties. They're often sloooow, but sometimes they get it right.:dopey:

The live events use stewards (3 of them) to decide on penalties. They're often sloooow, but sometimes they get it right.:dopey:

It wasn't that they got it wrong, it's that they were too slow in application of the penalty. Had they applied it during the race it would have changed the out come. But since the penalty wasn't issued in a timely fashion, it should have been lengthened to account for how an in-race penalty would have affected the race.

It was a missed opportunity, they should have made an example out of Fraga.

True.

The etiquette videos are at the basic level of racing. If players were stick to that, there could be more enjoyable racing. There are some, that disregard how they are viewed, when racing. They couldn't give an ass rats about other players. A set of rules can't govern multiple account users, that don't care what happens to that driver rating.

Should an algorithm be made that senses when a player squeezes another player, intentionally, onto grass or into a barrier? I'm not talkin punting, but as in not giving racing room. Because, that's one of the biggest problems.

Players use different driving views. Limited visibility in cockpit view, too close in bumper Cam, etc. Some players are young that don't even clean their rooms when their parents tell them to. I'm just saying, they don't want to know about strict rules in their outlet.
There are plenty of grown folk playing this game, that need a time out too.

Players basically have to learn to play fair.
I think that’s a good point about the views. If there’s going to be any kind of respectable online racing series, I think it should force all drivers to use the same view. It’s BS that someone using cockpit view has to race against someone using 3rd Person.

My personal preference would be to force people to use cockpit view, with the option of turning off the in-game steering wheel so it doesn’t look funny for wheel users. I know others would probably prefer hood or bumper cams, personal preference, but I think even those are cheating somewhat.

It wasn't that they got it wrong, it's that they were too slow in application of the penalty. Had they applied it during the race it would have changed the out come. But since the penalty wasn't issued in a timely fashion, it should have been lengthened to account for how an in-race penalty would have affected the race.

It was a missed opportunity, they should have made an example out of Fraga.

It was pure damage control. Once they dropped the ball on giving the penalty during the race, they couldn't just take the win from fraga after the race. If you think things were bad as they played out, imagine the scenario where lightning wins outside the track.
Even if the penalty is justified, even If it was the right thing to do. You just don't do it. They were slow, worse, they didn't even know until the race was over. PD needs real stewards.

Honestly, it’s PD and the FIA. I don’t know why anyone who hasn’t been living on the moon for the last 20 years would expect anything different. Bungled mediocrity is as par for the course as it gets for them lol.

Here's what I think.

Rule book wont work, but World Tour events need to be better officiated. I saw a lot of questionable moves that looked deliberate that weren't called out in the last world tour. That's PDs chance to set the standard for what's acceptable. Because if that's how they drive with officials watching, it's even worse in the regular season.

For instance I have seen more than one finalist deliberately crash or PIT maneuver people out of the lead of races, as well as deliberately blocking people in qualifying to protect their provisional pole, as well as other underhanded contact that doesn't result in a penalty.

"Racing with the best!"

I wonder if it'd be better to just forgo the whole ranked racing thing and go back to time trials, like the GT Academy days. It just seems too overwhelming for everybody involved.

Honestly, it’s PD and the FIA. I don’t know why anyone who hasn’t been living on the moon for the last 20 years would expect anything different. Bungled mediocrity is as par for the course as it gets for them lol.

I wouldn't call PD mediocre, but I think they could use more transparency, outside the interviews with journalists at events, which I enjoy reading very much. Maybe I should ask one of the admins, or top FIAGTC racers for some feedback on some ideas/suggestions I had?

Last edited:
Thus I think the stewards should be players
Problem is making sure that you do not have stewards that do not have favorite drivers they like and others they do not like as well as any country or flag loyalty or disdain that could influence the penalty at all.

Maybe they are using a rule book (NASCAR's) use whatever rule they need at whenever they want. Using the rule book to give special players that extra edge. Then changing it every other week .
You mean the same way Moto GP did when they created the "rookie" rule which kept a hot American Ben Spies off of the factory Yamaha for 2 years entering the series while immediately dropping and canceling that rule when the sensational Spanish rookie M. Marquez entered the series and was allowed to immediately ride on the factory Honda team?
That rule became known afterwards as the Ben Spies rule, Moto GP did not want an American rider coming into the series and possibly do what he did in world superbike which was win the title in a decisive fashion. Moto GP majority fan base is by far in Europe so they will cater to that market the most.

If you think all series play fair and do not twist the rules to how they benefit the series the best you are not or have not been paying attention.

Taking your foot out of the gas the way Fraga did is a clear violation of the "rule" regarding sportsmanship
Not really sure I agree that it is a rule violation, he did not actually "brake check" him but did use his position as the leading car and lifting on the throttle to change the momentum through the kink or sweeping corner of the driver following behind that was running a softer tire and could carry more speed through the sector.

It was not a brake check, it was not a block, the driver behind could have gone to his 2nd option longer way around outside which was not the preferred line to avoid contact or impediment of his pace but rather a racer using his position as leading car to play to his cars strengths and defend against his cars weakness against those of a challenging opponent.
I think Fraga played a strategy that although many do not like it is used in real world racing all around the globe. What happened to the it was up to the trailing or following driver to figure out how to pass clean?

it should have been lengthened to account for how an in-race penalty would have affected the race.
How do you know it wasn't? A 5 second penalty that did not cause a crash or anybody to go off track, no actual brake check was done and did not result in the car gaining a position could have very well been only a 1-2 second penalty in race and the 5 seconds of total time were to add in the slow down time last as well.

I think the issue has gone from being about the actual offense to more of who was involved and their fan bases sticking up for them. Personally I could care less who came out on top, it is nothing but still a game at the end of the day.

And I do agree with some other threads when you have 100's of millions of population worldwide that would have tuned into the English speaking version of the streamed race and you have barely more than 4000 worldwide actually viewing not a lot of people really care, and yes I was one of those 4000 and I still do not really care.

Last edited:
True.

The etiquette videos are at the basic level of racing. If players were stick to that, there could be more enjoyable racing. There are some, that disregard how they are viewed, when racing. They couldn't give an ass rats about other players. A set of rules can't govern multiple account users, that don't care what happens to that driver rating.

Should an algorithm be made that senses when a player squeezes another player, intentionally, onto grass or into a barrier? I'm not talkin punting, but as in not giving racing room. Because, that's one of the biggest problems.

Players use different driving views. Limited visibility in cockpit view, too close in bumper Cam, etc. Some players are young that don't even clean their rooms when their parents tell them to. I'm just saying, they don't want to know about strict rules in their outlet.
There are plenty of grown folk playing this game, that need a time out too.

Players basically have to learn to play fair.

The problem has nothing to do with rulesets. Its entirely human. Human drivers are always going and want to find how far they can push the rules and no ruleset can be explicit enough to cover all possibilities, otherwise there would be complaints of it no longer being a race. You need some human exploration in how they drive.

A computer cannot solve the problem even with techniques such as machine learning. It relies on a data set, often made by a human, and if said data set does not include the scenario the computer will be essentially "guessing". There's also bias in machine learning that can lead it astray.

This is why human stewards will always be needed. Data from a game can be used in an easier manner than real life racing to assist stewards into making decisions.

Honestly the system is largely fine. A 5 sec penalty for the lift is acceptable. It was 10 secs for a full on takeout. If anything the latter penalty should have been more harsh.

Here's an idea: it's a time trial like GT Academy, but the big goal is for being on a "Gran Turismo Racing" team that plans to enter in a future FIA-sanctioned series, like the WEC or Formula 3. Meanwhile the whole reality TV show aspect that surrounded the in-game time trials gets scrapped. The "big" event is like a rally/hillclimb, where your goal is to set the best time possible. There could be some where you're only given so many laps to set your best time on a circuit, other than the point-to-point stages. Heck, there could be plenty of famous historical stages that could be implemented where cars have competed there, like the Monte Carlo rally, the Mille Miglia, the Tourist Trophy, the Targa Florio, and the Tour de France.

Meanwhile, the two FIAGTC that we see now can stay, but they're very much downplayed, being more like a more normal championship that people don't need to take as seriously, while still being competitive.

(But otherwise, I'd love to see those venues potentially be implemented, given they're the namesakes of more than a few cars.)

I'm curious. Is 10k the number of viewers across all of the live streams that were available?
Yes.
Non english streams didn't even reach 1k.
But I forgot to take twitch into account.
Don't think it would make much of a difference. I remember checking twitch on Saturday and had even less people than YouTube

It was 10k on youtube total, the vids now have in total 100k views. Thats seems really good. Iirc F1 championships is the only racing series to get higher viewership (unless you count Rocket League).

Back