Is it too late to play GT5 now?

• Thread starter GTmaster
  • 30 comments
Philippines
PHILIPPINES
I owned the previous consoles and basically completed Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Just about a month ago, I purchased my first PS3 and I don't wanna miss GT5.

The problem is, I realized I can't get any Downloadable content anymore. No more Seasonal Events, no more Community stuff, I'm stuck with whatever is in the CD.

So I'd like to know from you all, is playing thru GT5 nowadays still worthwhile?
What am I going to accomplish or miss? I don't even know what questions to ask.

There are cars that I know I can't get anymore. Is there a workaround for this problem, like a saved data I can download somewhere?

I'll move on to GT6 eventually, but I just don't wanna miss GT5. Please help.

Congrats on completing the previous GT versions, I myself have only completed GT although I have played the other games quite extensively. I'm still playing GT5 and although it's a shame the online has been closed off the game is still playable. I do find the offline a little boring with the standard AI and the gameplay is lacking, unlike the original GT!

It's worth the few bucks. There are a few special challenges that are worth playing, and there's the photo mode and track editor. Those alone make it worth getting. I just hate doing the install updates for Gran Turismo, they always take sooo long.

Without the seasonals it may be a bit hard to make cash, but even then I think the career is enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Actually, PD nerfed payouts later in the game, so if you keep it at v1.00 (if possible), you can make the gameplay a little smoother.

Since it's a couple bucks worth if investment, I'd say go for it, and then pick up a cheap GT6 later on if 5 gets boring without online features.

I owned the previous consoles and basically completed Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Just about a month ago, I purchased my first PS3 and I don't wanna miss GT5.

The problem is, I realized I can't get any Downloadable content anymore. No more Seasonal Events, no more Community stuff, I'm stuck with whatever is in the CD.

So I'd like to know from you all, is playing thru GT5 nowadays still worthwhile?
What am I going to accomplish or miss? I don't even know what questions to ask.

There are cars that I know I can't get anymore. Is there a workaround for this problem, like a saved data I can download somewhere?

I'll move on to GT6 eventually, but I just don't wanna miss GT5. Please help.

It is remarkable that you have completed all previous versions :)👍 I just started to play on the GT4 and although I have completed over the 75% of GT6, still playing GT5. In fact I'm playing the resistance races now and still enjoy it. As everybody else mentioned, the fact that online support & online events are closed and therefore the updates kind of sucks 👎:indiff: Fortunately I managed to get all updates, but got problems to get some of the game trophies, especially the secrets. I ignore if it is because I also are a "little" late :D or the support for GT5 has finished. Anybody have a clue about this by the way? :confused:
Anyway, I still thinking it worth it, so have fun! :cheers:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm about level 23 now and grinding on the Extreme series to make cash. I noticed that the Cars listed on the dealerships are very limited. There are a lot of Car makers, but each of them only offer about a dozen or two to choose from.

I get new cars every time I complete a series with all GOLDS though, which is the best way right now to acquire cars. Well, for all its worth, I don't wanna jump into GT6 until I get around 80% completion on GT5.

I'm thinking about deleting (or backing up) my GT5 save and starting over but I'm wondering if it's possible to complete the game with out the online dealership..

One event that comes to mind is the Formula GT event, if I remember correctly I bought a FGT car from the online dealership.

I'm thinking about deleting (or backing up) my GT5 save and starting over but I'm wondering if it's possible to complete the game with out the online dealership..

One event that comes to mind is the Formula GT event, if I remember correctly I bought a FGT car from the online dealership.
The FGT car does pop in the UCD.

Last edited:
That's good to know! I think i'll be playing more of GT5 this weekend. I got a question though, when I enter a race of say cars that has average of 500BHP, i try to change my Engine settings and limit that to somewhere around 400. Supposedly it will make my car a little slower (in terms of power) but at the start of the race when it's all straight line, I still find my car overtaking a couple of them.

Does that mean that at the start of the race, my AI cars are not on FULL throttle? This kind of behavior happens on most races.

TMM
Secret trophies? Tell me more.

Sorry for not answer before, well yes, there are 8 hidden trophies in the game. Some reward reckless driving, while others are event based, or require you to find certain faces in photo mode. Here is the list I found somewhere:

1: Endurance Series Complete
Complete the Endurance series of Race Events.

2: Red Bull X1 Challenge
Complete the 'Red Bull X1 Challenge' Special Event.

3: Watch Out for Falling Objects
Make a part of your car fall off while driving.

4: Rollover
Total a car by flipping it over.

5: Take Your Honda Home
Take a photo of a Honda passing in front of the Honda head office on the Tokyo R246 track.

6: Picture Exclusive

Take a picture of a special someone as he stands in Kyoto's Gion district.

7: Portraitist
Take a portrait of a solitary lady who appears on the Marktgasse in Bern.

8: Grand Finale
Reach the long version of the ending movie.

I got some of them, but having trouble to get others like # 6 & 7, I'm not sure if it is due the online service is no longer available, so I'll have to settle for that. Goodbye platinum trophy :banghead: By the way, I'm pretty sure there are a couple of "normal"? trophies that will be impossible to obtain due to the end of the online service, such as Proud Owner and Course Designer, on these you must share both of them with your friends, but this option is not available any more. :confused:

Well whether or not you get GT5 depends on what you want. Unlike GT6, 5 still has course editor and B-Spec races, as well as the endurance races going for 24 hours instead of 24 minutes (Really? :indiff:). The visuals are almost identical to GT6 and the only thing I can think of that I prefer GT6 for is the new cars and updates, as well as online available. I don't get why they cut online off for GT5 so quickly because there are still a lot of people using it... But as money hungry people Polyphony can be, to get online, you must buy GT6. Other than those, GT5 is just as good, so I would recommend you getting it as well :cheers:

That's good to know! I think i'll be playing more of GT5 this weekend. I got a question though, when I enter a race of say cars that has average of 500BHP, i try to change my Engine settings and limit that to somewhere around 400. Supposedly it will make my car a little slower (in terms of power) but at the start of the race when it's all straight line, I still find my car overtaking a couple of them.

Does that mean that at the start of the race, my AI cars are not on FULL throttle? This kind of behavior happens on most races.

It's been fun following this thread and glad to know you're already enjoying GT5! Yes, the AI often drive slower than they should (just wait until you discover the way they "park" on corners and let you pass if they don't cause you to rear end them). When the online seasonals were going, one way to make grinding them fun was to see how low you could tune your car and still win (there was also a performance bonus for doing this, so you could double the reward which at 1-2 Million credits per race, would add up very quickly). When I play GT5 now, if my starting position is in the middle of the grid I'll often pull over and let them all go so I can practice coming up through the field. Good times.

I am on a nostalgia trip right now, gave up playing Assetto Corsa for a while (my computer can't really handle the full release at an acceptable level of performance for anything but lapping the Nordschleife all by my lonesome)... so I played through some GT4 again and got sick of the physics pretty quickly (lots of understeer until you go to full throttle and there's rarely any oversteer). So now it's back to GT5 and I'm loving that, can't get enough of playing the GT All Stars at Nordschleife, with the #99 Ford Fusion. And I'm using my old Logitech DFP wheel and the modded G25 pedals, so that's been fun, that wheel feels really heavy compared to the FFB I was getting in AC. Plus, I like the race cars to feel more twitchy... it may be an exaggeration of reality, but it's exciting.

I *might* try GT6 again but I was pretty perturbed when I stopped playing it before... but it's been a long time so I'm a little curious to see what they've updated.

GT5 v1.00 is actually a lot of fun, all the updates did make it better in general but the gameplay definitely changed overtime and not always in a positive way.

I deleted my save file and all the updates to start over, this time, I plan on using premium cars only to complete the game. It was pretty emotional watching the old "my chemical romance" intro. It used to be a happier game, then it got more complex, but darker in the process.

GT5 has epic Nurburgring school! I definetly learned something and I'm not afraid of corners before finish (at least in games, except S2U which has epic feeling of speed, something that GT desperetly needs)

I still play this game more than GT6. The cars perform closer to their real life counterparts, where in GT6 has something wrong with the way drag effects cars with low downforce, and they accelerate much faster and achive much higher top speeds than in this game. The Ferrari F1's (sorry senna, these cars would run circles around yours), and Cote D'azure actually has a purpose in this game. It has a better career mode too, i love doing the endurance races, and b-spec is my cure for boredom.

BSpec can be very annoying because no matter how much you upragde your car stupid driver slows down. And GT6 career races at least have bigger variety and there is no filler GT6. But it's stupid to see "24 minutes of Le Mans" instead of "24 hours of Le Mans" :banghead::lol::yuck::grumpy:

I'm giving GT5 about my fifth play-through, it's better than GT6 in my opinion. I can't quite get the plat in any of the games 3-6 due to a couple events in each, but they are still fun to drive in 5.

I guess you can't plat it anymore with it being offline (track and photo sharing trophies), and credits are much harder now without seasonals. However, can anyone tell me when the FGT pops up in the UCD now (post-2.17)? I know the black group C cars are popping up between days 694 and 700 still (are they)? I've been out of the GT loop for awhile until just recently. I tried looking at the master car list that Famine posted but my Macs and phone don't like the files.

Thanks!

C-Dub

Lot's of great memories spent on that game, if online was still available I'd go back much more often. Though it doesn't help I got the ylod, she ran a solid six years before tanking.:nervous::ouch::lol: Good luck to you though!:gtpflag:

Back