Is my PC upgradable? Need some advice

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 81 comments
I don't use that specific option, but I've never had problems with free look. Perhaps try testing free look and see if there's similar issues? I play with a controller so i have the left stick for steering and the right stick for free look and then another button to reset the view
I posted about it in a facebook group and was told that it's the game specifically that can't keep up with that option. Was told to turn down the movement factor, which I did, and it did make things a bit better. Fought with a few settings most of the night and then after setting the refresh rate to 59Hz thing suddenly were noticeably better. Fingers crossed. So basically right now I have it set to:
  • 1920x1080
  • 59Hz
  • Vertical sync - On
  • Scaling - 400%
  • SMAA - Off
  • SSAO - Off
  • Everything else on high or Ultra
Looking at the metrics while playing, GPU tends to bounce around in the 65-75% range. CPU in the teens.

Edit: Just looked up my other graphics card on eBay, recent sold listings are around $300. So I'll be doing that... :P

Last edited:
Scaling - 400%
I don't remember what that does, but you could probably lower it for more performance?

Looking at the metrics while playing, GPU tends to bounce around in the 65-75% range. CPU in the teens.
With V-sync on, it won't be running at full beans. If you turn it off, you'll probably high much higher GPU utilization and higher frame rate.

Edit: Just looked up my other graphics card on eBay, recent sold listings are around $300. So I'll be doing that... :P
Yeah, prices are incredibly inflated right now. With everyone working from home or getting into PC gaming, hardware is in high demand and supply can't keep up

Last edited:
Ok, so with some more minor tweaking, installation of the JBX graphics mod for ATS, and some messing around with the Radeon software, I've got the game running pretty good with only some minor slowdown when entering big cities. Here are my settings with a couple notes:
  • Refresh rate is at 60Hz, not shown here
  • Using "Virtual Super Resolution" to downscale 2.7K to 1080p
ats_20210131_004642_00.png

ats_20210131_004650_00.png

And a screenshot with above settings:

ats_20210131_005222_00.png

Absolutely awful time to upgrade your GPU. The market has lost its collective mind when it comes to prices at the moment. If had a card as good as a 5600Xt I'd be sticking where I was for quite some time yet.

Absolutely awful time to upgrade your GPU. The market has lost its collective mind when it comes to prices at the moment. If had a card as good as a 5600Xt I'd be sticking where I was for quite some time yet.
Coming back to this, still looking to upgrade. That 6GB just isn't doing it for me.

Any possible upgrades at the moment that won't cost me a kidney?

Coming back to this, still looking to upgrade. That 6GB just isn't doing it for me.

Any possible upgrades at the moment that won't cost me a kidney?
How much is a kidney? Rtx 3060 ti would be a decent upgrade, but it has 8gb of RAM. It would be a bit over $500. 3080 offers 10GB and 12GB options but they're over $800. 3060 has 12GB, but it's not much of an upgrade.

6700 xt or above may be a good option on the AMD side.

Bump.

Thinking about upgrading these:

• AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB
  • 16GB DDR4 3000MHz

Any suggestions? Definitely want to upgrade the graphics card at minimum to something with more RAM, and I assume good ones are hard to find still...
GPU cards have drastically come down in my country recently. You find them usually typically at like a 100 usd over the msrp which isnt bad considering were where the price like 2 months ago. There's even a 3080 ti at like 1.1k which isnt bad again.

That being said I wouldnt recommend buying a 5600, the new 5800DX3 is an awesome cpu for the price and I wouldnt definitely recommend that. Also I wouldnt buy 3000mhz ddr4 ram because from my experience they are pricier than 3200 or even 3600 mhz ones because they are used way less.

Last edited:
My biggest goal is to be able to play games in 4K with little issue. Or 1440p with the scaling bumped up. Right now doing either in American Truck Simulator it jumps around from 30 to 50 fps with v-sync turned off. AA on low.

My biggest goal is to be able to play games in 4K with little issue. Or 1440p with the scaling bumped up. Right now doing either in American Truck Simulator it jumps around from 30 to 50 fps with v-sync turned off. AA on low.
I would recommend taking a look at some of these charts for some idea of what to expect at 4k and 1440p: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-review/3

As a rough reference, the 5700 XT is about 20% better than the 5600 XT.

I would recommend taking a look at some of these charts for some idea of what to expect at 4k and 1440p: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-review/3

As a rough reference, the 5700 XT is about 20% better than the 5600 XT.
Between these two cards, which one would you get and why?

Between these two cards, which one would you get and why?

It depends. I currently have the 3060 myself, but I haven't used it much and I'm planning on sticking with 1080P.

Based on a quick google search it seems that both of these should be able to handle 4k on American Truck Simulator. But if you're planning on doing 4k/1440p on the latest games, I would say the 3070 is a safer bet (3060 Ti at a minimum). If you're not going to keep the card for a longer time, you may be happy with the 3060 for now.

It depends. I currently have the 3060 myself, but I haven't used it much and I'm planning on sticking with 1080P.

Based on a quick google search it seems that both of these should be able to handle 4k on American Truck Simulator. But if you're planning on doing 4k/1440p on the latest games, I would say the 3070 is a safer bet (3060 Ti at a minimum). If you're not going to keep the card for a longer time, you may be happy with the 3060 for now.
The 12GB obviously better for 4k gaming but that doesn't necessarily make it the best overall?

The 12GB obviously better for 4k gaming but that doesn't necessarily make it the best overall?
Correct, the other cards are faster overall. It's kind of the wrong way around. I don't remember why the 3060 had 12GB, but it doesn't really need 12GB.

Alright, bought the 3070 and also increasing RAM size to 32GB mainly for video editing. 🤘
3070 is a solid choice and is a very good choice when you weigh up cost/performance, arguably the most sensible card to go for in the RTX 3000 range.

Last edited:
3070 is a solid choice and is a very good choice when you weigh up cost/performance, arguably the most sensible card to go for in the RTX 3000 range.
Got the card and installed after waiting until 8:30pm for UPS to deliver it (not acceptable! ) and I'm not getting a video signal. Tried 2 cables, tried reseating the GPU, tried resetting BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, nothing.

Go figure.

What card did you have before? You may need to either update your drivers or download new ones. I think I had a similar issue when upgrading from a GTX 760 to a GTX 1060

What card did you have before? You may need to either update your drivers or download new ones. I think I had a similar issue when upgrading from a GTX 760 to a GTX 1060
I figured it out. The other card was only using one plug from the PSU to the GPU. There was another one zip tied out of the way. I cut the zip tie and plugged them both in and it started working. Downloading drivers now.

Last edited:
I figured it out. The other card was only using one plug from the PSU to the GPU. There was another one zip tied out of the way. I cut the zip tie and plugged them both in and it started working. Downloading drivers now.
Glad it's all working, would be a shame to wait so long only to be sent a dud you have to return. A lot of the cards now require two cables with the most powerful ones requiring three.

Back