Is my PC upgradable? Need some advice

• Thread starter R1600Turbo
  • 65 comments

R1600Turbo

Premium
United States
CG, AZ, USA, Earth
R1600Turbo
I don't use that specific option, but I've never had problems with free look. Perhaps try testing free look and see if there's similar issues? I play with a controller so i have the left stick for steering and the right stick for free look and then another button to reset the view
I posted about it in a facebook group and was told that it's the game specifically that can't keep up with that option. Was told to turn down the movement factor, which I did, and it did make things a bit better. Fought with a few settings most of the night and then after setting the refresh rate to 59Hz thing suddenly were noticeably better. Fingers crossed. So basically right now I have it set to:
  • 1920x1080
  • 59Hz
  • Vertical sync - On
  • Scaling - 400%
  • SMAA - Off
  • SSAO - Off
  • Everything else on high or Ultra
Looking at the metrics while playing, GPU tends to bounce around in the 65-75% range. CPU in the teens.

Edit: Just looked up my other graphics card on eBay, recent sold listings are around $300. So I'll be doing that... :P

Last edited:
Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Scaling - 400%
I don't remember what that does, but you could probably lower it for more performance?

Looking at the metrics while playing, GPU tends to bounce around in the 65-75% range. CPU in the teens.
With V-sync on, it won't be running at full beans. If you turn it off, you'll probably high much higher GPU utilization and higher frame rate.

Edit: Just looked up my other graphics card on eBay, recent sold listings are around $300. So I'll be doing that... :P
Yeah, prices are incredibly inflated right now. With everyone working from home or getting into PC gaming, hardware is in high demand and supply can't keep up

Last edited:

R1600Turbo

Premium
United States
CG, AZ, USA, Earth
R1600Turbo
Ok, so with some more minor tweaking, installation of the JBX graphics mod for ATS, and some messing around with the Radeon software, I've got the game running pretty good with only some minor slowdown when entering big cities. Here are my settings with a couple notes:
  • Refresh rate is at 60Hz, not shown here
  • Using "Virtual Super Resolution" to downscale 2.7K to 1080p
ats_20210131_004642_00.png

ats_20210131_004650_00.png

And a screenshot with above settings:

ats_20210131_005222_00.png

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Absolutely awful time to upgrade your GPU. The market has lost its collective mind when it comes to prices at the moment. If had a card as good as a 5600Xt I'd be sticking where I was for quite some time yet.