Is system link gone? Update:Yes, it is no more.

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 31 comments
There is some info on the net that makes me angry: system link might be gone!

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/3073225.aspx
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=948030&topic=51776210

Does anyone here know if that's tue?

Edit:
Sounds really bad.

I asked a one of those dirty pirates on another forum to confirm if there was no system link, his reply:

"Just double checked, the multiplayer mode is only for xb-live / split screen doesn't seem to allow system link afaik."

So this really blows, some of the most fun I've had in FM2 was having a Xbox LAN party and playing Forza with friends (Who don't have XBL Gold)!
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/3069062.aspx

Last edited:
Low latency LAN gaming is still the best experience :).

Not everyone wants to pay for XBL Gold and it's better if you don't depend on the Internet and the availability of the servers.

Yes, I can confirm it is gone - there is nowhere to be seen in the menus and I search them all.

Thanks for confirming the bad news.

I hope GT5 doesn't follow this trend. LAN gaming is not in its announced feature set. At least you can play on PSN for free.

While I don't use the LAN in this game, I know many do. This is a BONEHEADED move by Turn 10 and Microsoft. If you ALREADY have the feature, WHY on earth remove it?

I can only imagine they had huge time pressure from MS and cut everything of second priority or MS asked them to remove it to get more people buying XBL Gold.
Or - conspiracy on- they will patch it in later so that all banned boxes can't be used for LAN gaming. But I doubt removing it on purpose has a significant effect on sales of XBL or Xboxes

That's the big question. Marketing reasons as written before. Or they wanted to save time. Every part of the game needs testing and the code would have to be updated to the new physics (rollover...). But everything had to be done for XBL, so it's really strange.

Someone with an account at forzamotorsport.net or better NeoGAF could ask there in the hope to get an official answer from the devs.

Somehow I doubt that LAN is removed... It might be just like L4D, in menus there are no options for 8 player LAN... but once you get your consoles connected, option appears.

If lan was removed how would all the fair/demo etc sessions be organised? Or local championship races?

T10 just can't be this dum. No way. It's either hidden 'till connected to lan, or disabled from T10 servers at the moment.

XBL isn't that bad - can't really see why everybody's complaining about it. In fact, FM3 without XBL doesn't make any sense at all if it's the same as in FM2: no auction house/gifting cars etc.

Still, I sympathise with those who really enjoyed LAN parties if it's indeed missing.

People don't want to pay to play occasionally online. It's ok for hardcore users but for the average user it's daunting.

BTW, I don't need a paintshop or an auction house.

or disabled from T10 servers at the moment.
Remote activation for disc based console games - sounds like a bad dream.

XBL isn't that bad - can't really see why everybody's complaining about it. In fact, FM3 without XBL doesn't make any sense at all if it's the same as in FM2: no auction house/gifting cars etc.

XBL is pretty awesome.

People don't want to pay to play occasionally online. It's ok for hardcore users but for the average user it's daunting.

BTW, I don't need a paintshop or an auction house.

FM3 is not for you. It's an Xbox Live community based sim based around the store front, auction house, racing, online, painting and more.

Last edited:
I'm on a Gold trial at the moment and I'm not all that impressed the promo videos are hideously low quality even the Nintendo channel has it whipped there. The Road to Forza UK diary is one of the worst bits of video I've ever seen high compression plus it badly needed de-interlacing.

FM3 is not for you. It's an Xbox Live community based sim based around the store front, racing, online, painting and more.

You just put it in a nutshell.

Again, I can see why some might be disappointed with the lack of local multiplayer and that's a real shame.

But XBL, not being a hardcore gamer myself, put me into touch with quite a number of decent folks I ended up meeting regularly and I truly enjoyed the experience.

If XBL works, which it does more often than not, it's an enrichment for Forza and I'd encourage any- and everyone to at least try it out for a month. There are a lot of stores which offer memberships at a discount, my current membership only cost me 30 € for 13 months.

The Road to Forza UK diary is one of the worst bits of video I've ever seen high compression plus it badly needed de-interlacing.

The Road to Forza UK is one of the worst promo-videos I've ever seen in my life - and not because of horrid compression - if I was a Head of Marketing for MS, somebody would loose his job #1.

It's hard to tell what is more stupid: overall concept, two grown guys that acts like a retarded adolescents, hair-stripe on darkhaired guy or everything in allaround package.

That video do nothing good for the game, it's just puts a dark shade over good job done by T10.

IMHO, of course.

I agree with you Amar. What's up with this commercial?>?? Didn't get me excited at all, even my friends were like " Blahhhhh" so I had to prove to them via Internet that this game is what it is, amazing. MS change this commercial quick please for your Sakes.

You just put it in a nutshell.

Again, I can see why some might be disappointed with the lack of local multiplayer and that's a real shame.

But XBL, not being a hardcore gamer myself, put me into touch with quite a number of decent folks I ended up meeting regularly and I truly enjoyed the experience.

If XBL works, which it does more often than not, it's an enrichment for Forza and I'd encourage any- and everyone to at least try it out for a month. There are a lot of stores which offer memberships at a discount, my current membership only cost me 30 € for 13 months.

XBL has been in FM since number 1.

It is by no means an "enrichment" now.

Removing system link does nothing but hurt the game.

If syslink is really gone I can only guess it's done to force you to buy XBL and possible to prevent XBL circumvention by tunnelinng (which was already severly hindered by the 30ms ping limit).

But if LAN is gone, doesn't that get rid of multiscreen too as multiscreen worked by linking consoles via network. I suppose they could force all 3 boxes to log into live but that would be really harsh...

If syslink is really gone I can only guess it's done to force you to buy XBL and possible to prevent XBL circumvention by tunnelinng (which was already severly hindered by the 30ms ping limit).

But if LAN is gone, doesn't that get rid of multiscreen too as multiscreen worked by linking consoles via network. I suppose they could force all 3 boxes to log into live but that would be really harsh...

Not really. Its just a matter of cutting out the local network multiplayer mode. Its running an entirely different set of code when its connecting for multi-screens. However part of that would still be the code used if there was LAN multiplayer.

Well, some kind of LAN code EXISTS because it is the way that multiscreen mode is run.

However, there is no LAN option in any menus, so I presume it does not exist.

Obviously LAN has been removed to force people to buy Live Gold to play with their friends, although you can still have split-screen so you can take turns, I guess (winner stays on is what I used to play on GT4).

Obviously LAN has been removed to force people to buy Live Gold to play with their friends, although you can still have split-screen so you can take turns, I guess (winner stays on is what I used to play on GT4).

can't check if you can play split-screen...but if I remember properly I think not.

can anyone confirm this?

Back