Is the AI getting stupider?

United States
Hermiston
djwww98
I've noticed there seems to be more AI cars running out of fuel. Once I start lapping cars I have to really stay on my toes looking out for a car going 20 something miles per hour, usually in the middle of the track. They come up fast. Sometimes they're stacked up 2 or 3 like a train. I don't remember this happening much in the past, now it seems like it's multiple cars in every race, and sometimes it's the same car multiple laps, like they're already out of fuel, and go past the pit entrance again. Also, they don't seem to be as predictable in their behavior when they are blue flagged as in the past. I've had them slow and pull to the side near the end of a straight, letting me pass, as they should, then try to out brake me diving into the corner. AI doesn't seem very I. Has it gotten stupider? Or is it just me?

It is definitely happening in more races now that it ever did before. usually the same car every time. The yellow GT4 Mustang in the Lemans race runs out of fuel every time I run it lately.

It is definitely happening in more races now that it ever did before. usually the same car every time. The yellow GT4 Mustang in the Lemans race runs out of fuel every time I run it lately.
Seems like the car has worse fuel ecconomy and the AI behavior for that track hasnt been updated to match?

Seems like the car has worse fuel ecconomy and the AI behavior for that track hasnt been updated to match?
Not sure. I happened to be right behind it a couple of days ago, it ran out just a few turns past the pit entrance on the beginning of lap 4 (I think). I think its just a general AI failure, not fuel economy changes. It may have pitted, and not refueled??

The AI is exactly as dumb as it has been for decades.

In this game specifically, though, as Polyphony releases updates for the game that changes the fuel economy of various vehicles, it gets revealed just how scripted some of the AI's actions are. Scripts that worked fine before now result in the driver running out of gas now that other parameters have changed. They're not actually making strategic decisions, and never have been.

Last edited:

In this game specifically, though, as Polyphony releases updates for the game that changes the fuel economy of various vehicles, it gets revealed just how scripted some of the AI's actions are. Scripts that worked fine before now result in the driver running out of gas now that other parameters have changed. They're not actually making strategic decisions, and never have been.
Know what I don't understand about the ai cars running out of fuel is why don't they pit? The other day I did the 1 hour of spa race and the viper run out of fuel with around 25 minutes to go and in that time that car went around the track 3 to 4 laps why didn't it pit not once to refuel in one of those laps?

Last edited:
I think they only move around the track after running out of fuel because other AI cars hit them and they don’t have enough momentum to make it into the pit lanes, so they just keep going around the track on collision momentum alone.

it is actually a word, not sure if that puts me or yourself in the stupider category, just had to Google it to confirm 🤣🤣
Is the thread title intentionally ironic? Because stupider isn't a word.
Is your question intentionally ironic? Because stupider is indeed a word. What's ironic, is you missed the irony... The Artificial Intelligence isn't really artificial intelligence. AI implies that the program learns from it's mistakes and learns from more and more input. That is obviously not the case. In fact, it seems to be getting stupider, hence, the question. AI is the buzzword in our society right now, so that it is the term everyone uses and the term PD pushes on us. But what's going on here isn't AI, it's just plain old programming.

Yesterday I was doing a Gr3 race at Lago Maggiore and I got nuked so hard from orbit by the second and third place AI cars at the first turn of the last lap that I just restarted the race.

They 100% would've plowed into the wall at Mach 1 if I hadn't been there. WTF.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was doing a Gr3 race at Lago Maggiore and I got nuked so hard from orbit by the second and third place AI cars at the first turn of the last lap that I just restarted the race.

They 100% would've plowed into the wall at Mach 1 if I hadn't been there. WTF.
The AI does that always when trying to overtake at turn 1 or the banked turn right after the long downhill straight.
Has been like this for the whole time.

Know what I don't understand about the ai cars running out of fuel is why don't they pit? The other day I did the 1 hour of spa race and the viper run out of fuel with around 25 minutes to go and in that time that car went around the track 3 to 4 laps why didn't it pit not once to refuel in one of those laps?
Did he have a Lyft or Uber sticker in the back window? :)

Well, this is weird. Sardegna is my favourite grind circuit. I have lost count of how many times I've done it. Until yesterday, I never came across the tortoise back-marker who was bimbling along in limp-home mode. Now I've had it three times in successive races.

Weird.

Know what I don't understand about the ai cars running out of fuel is why don't they pit?
The answer to this question is ...

@Pizzapants is 100% correct. The problem is that people are assuming that the AI is doing more than it actually is.

I've been saying this since at least GT5. The AI is doing exactly what they have intended for it to do. I would even hesitate to call it "AI" because of how rudimentary it is.

I saw them at their best in one of the pass missions (the 1500 single seater in the rain at Spa) where all 3 cars spin at the first turn in exactly the same way. No idea if it's supposed to be like that but they did it in every single run I did. Kinda funny to see. A bit of a pain trying to avoid all three rejoining, though...

How about this for stupidity, I am in the Clubman+ race at Route X and I am in P1 in the Ford GT and P2 is in a red RX-7 and tries to pass on inside on the end of the last turn, I gave him room to pass and did not crowd him in any way. Has anyone seen this behavior?

Back