Is the AM Vulcan still broken?

• Thread starter lilcat89
  • 9 comments
United States
Pikes Peak, CO
GTP_MPower
What do you need this for!
Now that we have the DBR9, is the Vulcan still awful? I took them both out to the Nurburgring GP Strecke and hot lapped for 5-6 laps each back-to-back. Within 4 laps in the DBR9, I ran a 1:59.5xx. Not really pushing super hard, the DBR9 felt so effortless. In the Vulcan, I was able to get within 3 tenths of the DBR9, but it took work. The Vulcan is still not where I think it should be, the brakes are terrible and tons of understeer on turn-in. It needs to be in Gr. X still, with proper front downforce and brakes you expect from a track day car, but I’m surprised at how close this version is to a proper GT1 racecar.

It’s really not that far off. Look up top gear power laps on Wikipedia. On a damp track it was 2s off the pace of a MP4-12c GT3. Dry track would close it up, but my guess is that its top speed would be made irrelevant by it’s braking and/or its understeer of it was on the dry, judging by GT Sport.

Might be a case of it looking faster than it really is.

Now that we have the DBR9, is the Vulcan still awful? I took them both out to the Nurburgring GP Strecke and hot lapped for 5-6 laps each back-to-back. Within 4 laps in the DBR9, I ran a 1:59.5xx. Not really pushing super hard, the DBR9 felt so effortless. In the Vulcan, I was able to get within 3 tenths of the DBR9, but it took work. The Vulcan is still not where I think it should be, the brakes are terrible and tons of understeer on turn-in. It needs to be in Gr. X still, with proper front downforce and brakes you expect from a track day car, but I’m surprised at how close this version is to a proper GT1 racecar.
Vulcan has less downforce then Gr4 cars in Gt sport for some reason. Its been like that since the beggining of the game yet PD still didnt fixed it.

i never felt it was that bad... sure it lacks downforce and it has questionable brakes but it seems to be quite competitive at its particular classes.

The Enzo and even F5O have sizeable frontal air tunnels which should generate big downforce, but they don't in GT Sport.

Neither of those cars would have any meaningful downforce.

Tunnels and diffusers make virtually no downforce at the ride heights road cars need to run at.

"The downforce generated by Enzo is unimaginable, especially for a car having no big rear spoiler. At 300kph (186mph), it generates a massive 775kg of downforce,"

https://www.autozine.org/Archive/Ferrari/old/Enzo.html

That article also states the high nose helps generate downforce, which is incorrect. You need a low nose and high rake... and even then, it's only when flat out that the downforce reaches high levels for stability more than anything else, not for cornering.

Road cars will never behave/feel like racing cars, even on slicks.

A lot of the issues people feel, are primarly down to a far to higher rear toe angle as standard imo.

I enjoy racing the roadcars. You can't brake hard and point n squirt. You need to be smother to get the most from them.

Back