Is the music from the dealerships RedBook?

• Thread starter gtfrick
  • 4 comments
Romania
Romania
I wanted to ask this because all the songs from the menus sounds kind of like it's a bunch of samples and looped drum beats played by the 24-channel ADPCM. For example:
There is a background instrument (I do not know what it is called) which seems pretty long, but when it gets at the 1:02 mark the higher pitched notes are shorter in length, which is common to sample synthesis.

There's a background instrument which seems to be the same as the one I mentioned, and again, the high pitched notes are very short while the lower ones are longer.

The synthy lead instrument (dammit I should know instrument names by this point) sounds more muffled at the low notes, again common to sample synthesis.

And then there's the fact that pretty much all the dealer songs use the same exact instruments and looped drum beats, so to me it sounds like they were either done in some tracker and then recorded to CD format, or it uses .xm-like files to play sample synthesis.
So may I ask, if it is just played through the ADPCM, did anybody rip the samples? I tried using PSSound to rip the samples from the US v1.1 version but I couldn't find anything remotely similar to the instruments and drum beats used in the dealership songs, albeit I did find a ton of engine sounds and some menu sounds.
Has this been talked about before?

Last edited:
It's for certain now that GT up until GT4 uses samples played back by the game for the menus. That's why on GT1 particularly, but also in GT2, you can have cut instruments when you buy a part, (especially at Honda in GT1 with the long notes). As for extracting them, so far we haven't. I've gotten some from GT4 but not GT1 with PSound. Problem with PSound is that you can't know for sure what frequency you should read them. My guess is that the samples are saved in a PS library called .VAB. bu it's possible PD might've made a custom header and called it something else, just like engine sounds which are .VAG with custom headers and renamed .es

As for the composer, just as a trivia, here's his SoundCloud account.

It's for certain now that GT up until GT4 uses samples played back by the game for the menus. That's why on GT1 particularly, but also in GT2, you can have cut instruments when you buy a part, (especially at Honda in GT1 with the long notes). As for extracting them, so far we haven't. I've gotten some from GT4 but not GT1 with PSound. Problem with PSound is that you can't know for sure what frequency you should read them. My guess is that the samples are saved in a PS library called .VAB. bu it's possible PD might've made a custom header and called it something else, just like engine sounds which are .VAG with custom headers and renamed .es

As for the composer, just as a trivia, here's his SoundCloud account.
Usually I would have assumed GT1 and GT2 used samples, but I wasn't sure, but GT3 too? It's music sounds almost as good as GT4, damn!
Anyways, when I try to use PSound to extract GT1 samples, all of the sounds seem to be cut off or broken into different snippets. For instance, 00005 seems to be a cut off menu sound, so I think it's using reverb to make it seem longer, 00034 and 00041 too. By the time we get to 00063 the engine sounds seem to start and continue until 01856 (1793 engine sounds for 178 cars, wow!) Or are they somewhere in the middle? (but that seems unlikely and probably not convenient for being a sound designer)
As for the file format, I'm not certain.
I don't know, I'll try to check the PAL and US v1.0 versions to see if the results are any different. I'll also try to see if the composer will respond to me.

Car sounds I am familiar with and yeah there's a lot. 8 sounds per car in fact (except race cars).
Intake, stock, n/a sport, n/a semi-race, n/a race, turbo sport, turbo semi, turbo race. Race cars only have the ones they need (when they have a unique sound, because most of GT1's race cars used their stock counterpart's sound with either turbo or n/a race exhaust or stock).
As for the samples, yeah even GT4 uses them, though in higher quality :D
Reverb and all is very likely, but that's not stuff i'm familiar with ^^'

Car sounds I am familiar with and yeah there's a lot. 8 sounds per car in fact (except race cars).
Intake, stock, n/a sport, n/a semi-race, n/a race, turbo sport, turbo semi, turbo race. Race cars only have the ones they need (when they have a unique sound, because most of GT1's race cars used their stock counterpart's sound with either turbo or n/a race exhaust or stock).
As for the samples, yeah even GT4 uses them, though in higher quality :D
Reverb and all is very likely, but that's not stuff i'm familiar with ^^'
But GT4's V8 sounds seem different to those of GT1 and GT2... ironically the most realistic V8 sound is that of the Stagea 260RS from GT2, which has a straight-6 :irked:
I think the horn at the beginning of races also uses reverb, I'll attach a comparision of 00005 and 00041 inside of PSound and then how I believe they sound in-game with reverb.
Anyways, if we can't rip the samples from Gran Turismo 1, we can try and find the source of them.

EDIT: I sent Jason Page a message on his Soundcloud account and he said that it's likely he sampled from the Korg Trinity, Korg Prophecy, Emu Orbit, Roland JV2080, Kurzweil K2000R (his main synths at the time, apparently) and some sample CDs.

Attachments

• comparision.zip
    338.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back